• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: If you change the Switch settings to Japanese you can play with JP text+voice!

I prefer the Japanese voices to the English from what we heard so far but the hyperbole is astounding.
The English is decent or at least serviceable.
It's not so god-awful that you have to mute it to get through the game like some are saying, haha.
It'd be neat to have the options though.

We're shitting on people who prefer original language over dubs now? Yikes.

Now? GAF has been this way for years. There used to be at least one mod that would shit on anyone who said they liked original language over dubs back in the day, though he stopped doing that awhile back. GAF has been hostile to people who prefer original language for as long as I've been a registered member.

firelogic

Now I'm curious if westaboos in Japan play western titles in English with Japanese subs

"no Sasuke, for the authentic experience you have to play Gears of War in glorious English."

I'm not sure if it applies to all Western movies, but they definitley have a Japanese dub version and the original English version with Japanese subtitles available even for smaller movies like La La Land and blockbusters like Rogue One.

Dont really mind. Going to play it with the magnificent castillin spanish dub they did.

Also changing language by changing the language of the system has been the there in the majority of nintendo games during the wiiu era, the problem is, no subs in your language.

Cerbero

This is needlessly insulting for no apparent reason.

I'm italian, after seeing the italian trailer, so far I don't like our dub, even though we're usually good at dubbing stuff. I also can't stand 90% of english dubbed stuff because it sounds forced and fake as hell, yet most of you just don't care: see the Pokémon Generations thread, where some people didn't seem to notice one of the most atrocious dub attempts in history.

The audio files are there, so it's incredibly backwards not to offer the possibility to enjoy the game in whichever combination of dub/sub one wants. I assume it wouldn't even take them very long to implement the option, then again I'm no dev, so I don't know.

Same thing here, i wanted to play with the JP dub + italian subs

StereoVsn

More than that, they are also exceptional localizations. I like watching those movies in both dubbed and subbed.
Actually weren't couple of movies with absolutely awful dubs by Disney? Most were pretty good but I remember watching one with my daughter which was pretty mediocre (trying to recall he name right now and failing).

Bookman

In before the "Zelda: BotW has the worst (English) voice acting in a modern AAA game" threads pop up once the game comes out.

I get that not having the option to set whatever audio to whatever subtitles you want is disappointing & that more options are nice, but to say that the English voice acting is utter shit is a bit overkill.

I don't think anyone has said that?

It's also overkill to say that Japanese voice acting is made by homeless drunk people if someone should say this in the future.

It doesn't appear to be a story/VA heavy game, it could be missing VA and I wouldn't notice.

BTW, trying to shame people that want japanese VA is pretty pathetic. But that appears to be accepted here so hey it's cool.

Bookman

It doesn't appear to be a story/VA heavy game, it could be missing VA and I wouldn't notice.

BTW, trying to shame people that want japanese VA is pretty pathetic. But that appears to be accepted here so hey it's cool.

That's actually a good point. I hope that there is some fokus on the story tho. I actually liked skyward sword with I consider be more story driven than usual Zelda. We dont know if every NPC vill have dialogue but of course it will be easier to ignore if there is less content.

Eliseo

At one point I would've been fairly confident in Nintendo's ability to deliver a decent-to-great dub (thanks to Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem Awakening)

That was before Fire Emblem Fates

Then there was that overwrought English accent for Zelda in the trailer... maybe I'm being a little too judgmental based on what amounts to a fraction of the dialog but...

This is like the logic of a crazy person. It's a game being made by Japanese people in Japan. Why would they cast someone from Chile in it?

Putting aside any and all ideological arguments, my problem with dubs... is they're still bad a lot of the time. Still. After all these years. After all the progress that has been made (for certain games). I don't know if it's time, or money, or a shallow pool of voice acting talent, but STILL. AFTER ALL THESE YEARS.

I wonder if part of the problem is bad TV dubs like DBZ and Sailor Moon dialing the common tolerance for bad dubs up to over nine thousaaaand. Of course people aren't going to care if an accent sounds phony or if dialog sounds stilted and wooden when they didn't care that half the cast sounded literally constipated all the time.

Tell that logic to Blizzard, They think a colombian VA can do a better job doing the role of Sombra than you know...a mexican VA, crazy stuff I know.

FSLink

Banned

I just want the options. I was actually very interested in trying it out in Spanish and French dubs as well as Japanese on later playthroughs even though I'm playing it in English on the first time through.

But it's pretty sad that you even have mods like duckroll just shitposting. Like I get it that some people get obnoxious about it, but so far this topic has been really tame about it IMO. It's not like people asking for it here are going "JAPANESE VA ARE ALWAYS SUPERIOR" and such like some other places on the internet, so I'm not sure why people are shitposting other than to stroke their own ego.

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Better get started on those online petitions and Twiitter hashtags!

This guy is a mod??

Coffinhal

That's actually a good point. I hope that there is some fokus on the story tho. I actually liked skyward sword with I consider be more story driven than usual Zelda. We dont know if every NPC vill have dialogue but of course it will be easier to ignore if there is less content.

Story isn't just cutscenes and dialogue for god's sake

The Hermit

Maybe if enough fanboys protest, Nintendo will have a solution for this by adding a new System Language called "Weeb". Get all your UI text in English, and have a cute female announcer in Japanese for voice cues! And all games which support it will force English text and Japanese voice! For that authentic fansub experience! Uguu~

Hahahaha

brad-t

There's probably less than an hour of voice acting in this whole game so I don't think it's going to make a huge difference either way.

Theonik

This is pretty dumb tbh. Why not just implement a menu option and allow people t play with JP voices and Eng text? Why require people to change the Switch settings at all?

notaskwid

The reason is probably because each language subtitles are a transliteration for each dub.
Still dumb not to have the option for those who want it, plenty of games do it. If I want to play FFXV with french audio and german subs nothing stops me from doing it.

This is why Nintendo stuck with gibberish sounds for so long.
I don't understand what you are saying. Why? Because they didn't want people complaining that Nintendo didn't take the one hour it would take to make a menu allowing the user to choose their combination of language options?

VariantX

Let's hope nintendo wakes up and include some damn language options in a patch. Theres nothing to lose here in the long run.

Kamek

What is with this obsession with Japanese dubs? Some weird nonsensical elitism goin on here man. I like my anime dawg, but some of y'all take it too far. How many of you all can actually understand Japanese enough to tell if its actually a good performance lol.

Fuck that shit. I enjoyed English dubs in FF15, Xenoblade etc. I just can't stand Zelda's VA in the Eng BoTW dub. The old lady in the beginning sounds terrible too. The only good one was the Deku Tree and Goron.

Santiako

Dude, you're a mod, this post is just pathetic.

Thraktor

Does this mean the Japanese version has English voice and text when used on a Switch with English in the language settings?

If so, I'm seriously tempted to import the Japanese version. I'm planning on going pretty much 100% digital with Switch, but figure I may as well get a single physical game, to permanently sit in the card slot, and with how good the Zelda box art is it seems like the perfect game to go with.

Unfortunately I live in Europe, where we're inexplicably getting much shittier box art. I've considered importing from the US, although that would mean spending more money (once you include both shipping and customs) and a week or two wait. Looking on Japanese Amazon, though, even including shipping and customs it comes in at pretty much the same price as if I were to buy it locally (I also quite like the Japanese version of the box art). Unfortunately they only say "Estimated shipping: Mar 3, 2017" without any estimated delivery date, which is pretty worrying.

Anyone here have any experience ordering from Amazon.co.jp to Europe? What kind of wait would I be in for to get it shipped?

What is with this obsession with Japanese dubs? Some weird nonsensical elitism goin on here man. I like my anime dawg, but some of y'all take it too far. How many of you all can actually understand Japanese enough to tell if its actually a good performance lol.

Both are foreign languages to me so I'd rather have native language since it usually conveys emotions closer to what authors intended.

JayEH

Always the same shitposting when this topic comes up. More options is only a good thing and why do you care what language other people are playing in.

Zips

I don't understand what you are saying. Why? Because they didn't want people complaining that Nintendo didn't take the one hour it would take to make a menu allowing the user to choose their combination of language options?

Look at all the whiny bickering that is going on here - the need to listen to something in its 'original' language...but still needing subtitles in English or whatever because the person doesn't actually understand Japanese.

Some people need to take a step back and think about how important this really is.

The gibberish worked for Nintendo for this very reason that people want the ability to pick Japanese voices and English subs now. People don't like it when they can understand a language and know when the voicing is poor, so they prefer gibberish. Now with voices people want the Japanese as gibberish instead of random noises. Insert some people who just make claims of Japanese automatically being superior or whatever, and you have the mess these voice work threads are.

I'm honestly considering it, too. I need to cut the safety net and start playing games in full Japanese at some point, and Zelda seems like an easier first step than the copy of Yakuza Ishin on my shelf. I'm still only at about 900ish kanji memorised, but maybe I can muddle my way through :p

I had 2~3 months of Japanese classes under my belt when I started The Wind Waker...

qko

Zelda isn't an anime that I need it to be in Japanese. This anger I'm reading about this is starting to become a tremendous non-issue.

notaskwid

I'm honestly considering it, too. I need to cut the safety net and start playing games in full Japanese at some point, and Zelda seems like an easier first step than the copy of Yakuza Ishin on my shelf. I'm still only at about 900ish kanji memorised, but maybe I can muddle my way through :p
All zeldas have furigana afaik.

dan2026

Fuck Neogaf is an awful and hostile place sometimes.

Let's all be dicks to people who want options in their games. For the people who don't want audio options it doesn't effect you either way.

So why are you coming on here to just mock and deride people. This makes me sad to even come on neogaf.

The backlash against people in here wanting an option is just flat out strange. People shouldn't be berated for wanting something in a game. Not to mention by someone who is a mod on this site. Is it game breaking? Of course not but what is so wrong with voicing an opinion on it.

Ease up people.

Top Bottom