• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Joestar confirmed for Super Smash Bros for Wii U/3DS

Nintendo got nothing from Konami for putting Snake in SSBB.
They got to use one of the most popular video game characters that wasn't Nintendo related.
There is no negative there.

Hardcore Nintendo fans will buy the game regardless, so getting free use of a major character like Snake to draw in people who normally wouldn't be that excited over it is fine.
Don't know why they went with MGS2 Snake though, should have used the TTS version.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nintendo got nothing from Konami for putting Snake in SSBB. it was the ultimate cheap move to pull because it was a slap on Nintendo's face ("see this new character in SSBB? you'll never play any of his games in this console")

notto disu shitto agen

Melee kinda had that too, people like to pretend it didn't. Graphical fidelity and all that.

Smash 4 is using brighter colors however.

Well, yeah, Melee had the whole "let's make everyone as realistically detailed as the most realistic franchises," but, as you pointed out, it didn't get anywhere near as bad due to the Gamecube being less powerful and shit like that, but also because they only had OoT/Metroid/F-Zero as their realism high bar and not Twilight Princess and fucking Metal Gear Solid. Plus, even with SSB4 bringing some color back to the goddam game, Melee still looks superior simply because it's using superior N64-era character designs for most of the characters (seriously, 64 3D was the last Star Fox game released, why are we still using the fucking godawful Command design?), and the more cartoony characters like Pikachu and Kirby didn't look like freaking abominations of living plastic.

Jezan

Melee kinda had that too, people like to pretend it didn't. Graphical fidelity and all that.

Smash 4 is using brighter colors however.
This!
There is something about Melee that looks off, it's like if everything was covered in plastic, Peach's dress/hair and Marth's cape/hair look like if they were made from the same material as Samus' armor.

I think Brawl with brighter colors would ease a lot of complaints.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Gonna be real honest here, I think melee looks like shit nowadays, it didnt age very well for alot of characters, particularly bowser

Madao

RIJCzy3.png

41i9.jpg

someone should combine these 2 images.

I updated the comparison list that I did some months ago:

i prefer the Wii U designs for everyone except Link, who just looks really off for some reason, and Fox, whose Melee design will always be the best. most dramatic improvement is probably Bowser. Toon Link definitely looks better, but the clothing texture makes him look weird. in general i love the brighter colors compared to Brawl.

Blues1990

I prefer the Wii U designs for everyone except Link, who just looks really off for some reason, and Fox, whose Melee design will always be the best.

Most dramatic improvement is probably Bowser. Toon Link definitely looks better, but the clothing texture makes him look weird. In general, I love the brighter colors compared to Brawl.

My feelings exactly, especially with how Fox McCloud looks, post-Melee. I'm also glad that the distracting details (such as Mario & Luigi's denim overalls) have been toned down, so that the characters are much more readable & less cluttered. When I was playing Brawl, such extravagant details had contradict each other for attention, which made it impossible for me to see where my character would be flying across the screen.

Colocho

Banned
Um, I've never played a Smash game before (only a couple times at a friends house), but was Zelda supposed to be a big reveal? wasn't she in every game except for the first one? She was obviously gonna be in this one.

ffdgh

Um, I've never played a Smash game before (only a couple times at a friends house), but was Zelda supposed to be a big reveal? wasn't she in every game except for the first one? She was obviously gonna be in this one.

New thread for "new" news basically :p

daffy

Banned
Don't you own Hyrule Historia? It's her last name.
Are you being serious? Someone a page or two back said it was because of manga poses so idk

I guess it doesn't really matter but still. That's a terrible last name if so. It sounds like a diner hostess' daughter

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Do you happen to remember in what page does this appear? Ive got it but somehow missed this.

Are you being serious? Someone a page or two back said it was because of manga poses so idk

I guess it doesn't really matter but still. That's a terrible last name if so. It sounds like a diner hostess' daughter

Those guys are fucking with you, hahaha.

The term Joestar is coming from a popular manga/anime series Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, famous for the fabulous poses its characters often display, and Zelda's poses in here look similar to its style.

Dr. Buni

No... just freaking no...
Yes, just freaking yes. Any of the console 3D Zelda are miles better than ALBW. The 3DS title does some stuff right, but overall it is not a good game.
Triforce Tendency

There, two best jojo
Yep. Although I am yet to read Steel Ball Run, but I doubt it is better than Battle Tendency and Diamond is Unbreakable.

Anyway, I did a comparison picture (like the other one some guy posted earlier), but I added pictures of the 3DS models as well, because ignoring the best version of the new Smash is not fair:

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The 3DS version looks seriously Godly. A huge improvement in models compared to Brawl, especially with colours.

Top Bottom