• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

Also did anyone else think this was the least weird Zelda game (consoles)? Even TP had some haunting music and weird cutscenes. Wind Waker with it's creepy zombies that had an awful screech. And we all know the situation with OOT and MM.

Not saying it's a bad thing but it was a little strange playing a Zelda game that didn't have anything disturbing in it.

Ancient Cistern's basement was hellishly disturbing. Artstyle aside, those zombies following you up the rope is up there with any Zelda creepiness.

The whole design of the dungeon brings masses of Fridge Horror, too.

Ancient Cistern's basement was hellishly disturbing. Artstyle aside, those zombies following you up the rope is up there with any Zelda creepiness.

The whole design of the dungeon brings masses of Fridge Horror, too.

I honestly wish the basement in the Ancient Cistern was an entire area like Eldin, Lanayru, and Faron.

FreeMufasa

Just finished listening to the Orchestra CD

mT9so.jpg

.....Jesus. I'm once again reminded why this is my favourite series.

I also appreciate the Twilight Princess soundtrack a lot more. I've been revisiting it the past few days and it's pretty underrated.

fernoca

Wait, you can charge up your sword with lightning and do a "skyward strike"?! No wonder I thought he was so difficult...
Yeah, Fi tells you at first you can't do a "Skyward Strike" because of the place. But then Demise starts using lightning as a similar way, so ..that't's the sign you can do the same.

Fi is still right in the sense that you can't do the Skyward Strike, since that can be done under any circumstance at any place; while the lightning thing you mostly serve as a lightning rod.

Lunar15

Although it wasn't orchestrated, I liked that piece that plays when link meets demise in that weird sky dimension place. The weird synth lines made it sound alien and sinister. It's one of those times where actually not using the orchestra made it have a little more impact.

Duderz

Banned
Although it wasn't orchestrated, I liked that piece that plays when link meets demise in that weird sky dimension place. The weird synth lines made it sound alien and sinister. It's one of those times where actually not using the orchestra made it have a little more impact.

Reminded me of something out of Blade Runner, actually.

Seik

Banned
All in all, can we say that all the Ganondorfs that came after wanted the Triforce in order to become the original Demise again?

And what's up with Hero Mode? Is this the same deal with harder difficulty or is there new things to come?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I think the Demise / Ganondorf connection is pretty clear by words spoken, that this game is suppose to be 'the first adventure' and even his look / face.

And what's up with Hero Mode? Is this the same deal with harder difficulty or is there new things to come?

Double damage, Skyward Sword instantly charges, 'apparently' some conversations in the game are different and some items carry over. Maybe someone can be more specific, but I haven't started Hero Mode yet.

ASIS

All in all, can we say that all the Ganondorfs that came after wanted the Triforce to become the original Demise again?

As far as I know there's only one ganondorf, and no, Ganondorf is NOT Demise, just an incarnation... if that makes sense :/

and I'm playing hero mode (currently in the ancient cistern), so far it's the same game but you carry the playing hours, enemy analysis, and loot. Everything starts from zero again. Enemies deal double damage and have double health as well. The skyward strike charges in the same speed as the true master sword from your original playthrough.

Oh and some characters will acknowledge that you're playing Hero mode, that's about it so far.

RagnarokX

All in all, can we say that all the Ganondorfs that came after wanted the Triforce to become the original Demise again?

There is only one Ganondorf in the agreed upon timeline. The only Ganon that is clearly not OoT Ganon is FSA Ganon, and that game doesn't really fit in with the others. Wind Waker establishes that Ganon's motivation for acquiring the triforce is because he is jealous of Hyrule's prosperity while his people suffered in the harsh desert.

Big One

Banned
I don't really see too much similarities between Demise and Ganondorf to be honest outside of being a Demon King. Their facial features are completely different for example:

uMMSf.jpg

Demise looks more like Zodd from Berserk:

rkpoL.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
To be fair, Ganondorf himself has changed a lot over time. In Ocarina artwork he had a very pointy nose and a thinner face. In Wind Waker, obviously he changed a bunch to match the style. But then in Twilight Princess, he was very different than Ocarina.

Aside from what I read into with what Demise had said (being reborn and destined to continue 'haunting' Zelda and Link's descendants), I thought the Fire hair / Red hair was a connection, the scar on Demise's and the jewelry Ganon has on his forehead all the time and the fact that both have an evil-animalistic form.

Demise is NOT Ganondorf, but Ganondorf carries his hate, malice and essence reincarnate.

To be fair, Ganondorf himself has changed a lot over time. In Ocarina artwork he had a very pointy nose and a thinner face. In Wind Waker, obviously he changed a bunch to match the style. But then in Twilight Princess, he was very different than Ocarina.

Aside from what I read into with what Demise had said (being reborn and destined to continue 'haunting' Zelda and Link's descendants), I thought the Fire hair / Red hair was a connection, the scar on Demise's and the jewelry Ganon has on his forehead all the time and the fact that both have an evil-animalistic form.

Demise is NOT Ganondorf, but Ganondorf carries his hate, malice and essence reincarnate.

*bows head*

I agree very much. He wasn't Ganondorf, but he is the basis of him.

RagnarokX

It sure was. Nothing like realizing you could use your sword as a lightning rod and tossing lightning at him. Man that was epic.

It sure was. Nothing like realizing you could use your sword as a lightning rod and tossing lightning at him. Man that was epic.

The great thing is that the game doesn't shove that in your face. Seeing him do it and going "....OH FUCK, WHAT IF I--" and seeing lightning strike your sword was an amazing moment.

I loved the little touch during the final blows where Link would leap in to the air, imbue his sword with lightning, then plunge it down in one quick motion.

The great thing is that the game doesn't shove that in your face. Seeing him do it and going "....OH FUCK, WHAT IF I--" and seeing lightning strike your sword was an amazing moment.

I loved the little touch during the final blows where Link would leap in to the air, imbue his sword with lightning, then plunge it down in one quick motion.
It was set up terrifically, but I can't say enough how much the controls gave it weight.

Hell every little thing gave that entire encounter a sense of weight. Lightning striking the sword, the rumble kicking in fast and erratic, he charges and you fire off the lightning shot. The lightning, the detail to the models... even the blur.

Honestly, a lot of devs get this stuff right, but Nintendo does it in such a way that you can't help but feel connected in those moments.

It isn't my favorite game, but in those moments damn it was a good one.

Seik

Banned
I hate to admit I haven't started hero mode because I want to go back and do that fight at least one more time.

I did worst, I stopped the game when it was asking me to go with Hero mode (and delete my actual save) to copy my save in file 2 in order to do that fight whenever I want to.

Thanks for the answers, it's been a while since I finished WW (at launch) so I wasn't sure about ganondorf's motives to get the triforce.

Damn, Hero Mode sounds bad-ass, I guess I'll do the game once again just for the challenge.

If we're throwing out "character x is like anime character y," Ghirahim's abilities reminded me of Greed from Full Metal Alchemist. Personality and design wise a bit like Hisoka from HxH.

sfried

Those who are not moved by the credit music, and fuck, even hating it, are not human. It is just humanly impossible not to like the credit music. NOT-POSSIBLE
When the title logo just appeared and stayed there, I just savored every moment of that glorious music.

I love the fact the credit sequence tells the story on Zelda's side from how Old Impa found her and how Young Impa protected her Eldin Volcano onward. I was expecting something else when they mentioned Zelda purified herself in the springs, though... ;)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Does anyone remember when this song plays? It's so damn beautiful, but I can't quite remember the scene it's from.

When I replay the game on Hero Mode, I'm definitely going to pay more attention to the music. I was listening to the most of the soundtrack, and it's much better than I realized. It may be lacking in catchy tunes, but it's top quality stuff nonetheless.

Lunar15

Does anyone remember when this song plays? It's so damn beautiful, but I can't quite remember the scene it's from.

When I replay the game on Hero Mode, I'm definitely going to pay more attention to the music. I was listening to the most of the soundtrack, and it's much better than I realized. It may be lacking in catchy tunes, but it's top quality stuff nonetheless.

That song plays when you place the very first tablet inside the goddess statue after meeting Fi, and then you talk to Gaepora about leaving skyloft.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
it appears as gate of time somewhere near the end of the game, i believe.
I just looked it up. That was the one I was thinking of. It's a variation of the same song. this was a better scene, especially considering it follows immediately after the incredible scene where Zelda seals herself away. It feels like a perfect "setting out on a journey" song, which I makes sense for both times it plays.

kunonabi

Skyward Sword's version of Zelda's Lullaby is by far the best in the series. Oh at same for the Fairy Fountain theme.

quoted for absolute truth. It was almost like listening to a whole new song. I love music when you've opened up a bosses weekend.

I'll have to do that lightning thing when I fight Demise in Hero mode. He was easy enough to where I didn't really need to try anything fancy on him.

Anth0ny

I think the Demise / Ganondorf connection is pretty clear by words spoken, that this game is suppose to be 'the first adventure' and even his look / face.

Double damage, Skyward Sword instantly charges, 'apparently' some conversations in the game are different and some items carry over. Maybe someone can be more specific, but I haven't started Hero Mode yet.

And Fi is still fucking Fi. And text is still slow as fuck. And you can't skip any of it. I'm shocked that even in Hero mode they couldn't give the option to tone down this stuff.

I've got to say, the most disturbing thing in this game has to be Fi's singing. The gaping open mouth, the vacant look, the awkward neck movements. I can't be the only one to have noticed this. That and the fact that it doesn't mesh well with her personality, much like the dancing and pirouetting. Maybe had they given her a warmer personality it wouldn't have been quite as awkward, and it would have at least made their departure more emotional rather than just go with I AM A ROBOT WHO HAS LEARNED TO FEEL.

Top Bottom