• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

pulga

Banned
Best Zelda ending ever. Did think Demise needed a 3rd form, he became too easy when you figure out how to use the lightning against him AND needed to match up TPs boss-a-thon.

Need some time to asses where this lands on my Zelda Scale. Definitely above TP, though! Zelda Cycle my ass.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe, for a game that was all about precision, the last boss was just a stun and waggle-a-thon. The Ghirahim fight was amazing, but the last fight was a giant let-down, especially following TP. Not naming the bad guy Ganon felt totally arbitrary to avoid the usual complaints about Zelda doing the same thing over and over. But, well, in practise the last boss was still Ganon, new coat of paint or not.

That being said, Ghirahim being a Fi-alike was a fantastic reveal that worked perfectly. Unfortunately, it made me realise the gigantic waste of potential Fi was. She was such a non-character, which I'd at least justify must be part of her being, but then the game broke that suggestion by revealing that the character with the most personality in the game was the same as Fi. So -- uh -- what.

The last arena was also very -- well -- lazy, I guess? It was just a 'cool' looking sky background that existed for no reason. It would have been fucking incredible had you been able to see the land beneath the clouds underneath you or something.

I really enjoyed the game, but I just don't believe in Nintendo's ability to tell stories. I think we need much, much less of it in future Zelda games, but, eh, who am I kidding, this is only going to get worst before it gets better.

Smellycat

Best Zelda ending ever. Did think Demise needed a 3rd form, he became too easy when you figure out how to use the lightning against him AND needed to match up TPs boss-a-thon.

Need some time to asses where this lands on my Zelda Scale. Definitely above TP, though! Zelda Cycle my ass.

I agree with that. As soon as I defeated his second form, I didn't think I beat the game, and I was waiting for his next form.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

After his second form, when he was talking and said 'Do not think this is the end', I thought 'oh boy, here comes the final form of evil!'. But then he just died. ;_;

Berordn

I agree with that. As soon as I defeated his second form, I didn't think I beat the game, and I was waiting for his next form.

Especially with that terrible little monologue he gives. It looks like he's about to go Ganon on you and then... dead.

edit: i've been beat. :(

Seik

Banned
Especially with that terrible little monologue he gives. It looks like he's about to go Ganon on you and then... dead.

edit: i've been beat. :(

Not to mention that he's laughing his ass off while dying, like he knows we're waiting for something that we won't get! :(

Anth0ny

Definitely. This was especially crappy since I just came off of playing Minish Cap, which had a great final boss that really made you earn it... Once you learn the pattern vs. Demise, he goes down no problem.

Just beat it. Thought it was pretty lame that they used more or less the same villain motivation and plot from Spirit Tracks--demonic subordinate trying to revive some dude called the Demon King. Granted, Demise is way cooler looking than Malladus, but, eh. This is the third Zelda in a row that the villain is some non-descript incredibly evil being with no backstory.

Kard8p3

Definitely. This was especially crappy since I just came off of playing Minish Cap, which had a great final boss that really made you earn it... Once you learn the pattern vs. Demise, he goes down no problem.

Vaati definitely pulled out all the stops in in final boss forms. Best final boss of all the 2D games to me. I was fine with Demise not having another form though. I had fought him in his imprisoned form three times already so at the end I just wanted a good sword fight. Really though him taking another form would be pointless story wise since the whole goal was to get him into that form.

I did have a couple close calls over my shield nearly breaking. I guess you're fucked if that happens.

EDIT: What the fuck you can turn the lightning into a skyward strike.

I'll just put this here...

dolphin2011-12-0221-54gf4j.png

Smellycat

Man, is there any way to get Ghirahim's badass sword (I think technically it is Demise's sword) in the game? It is such an awesome sword!

I know this is a stretch, but I wonder if the Ocarina of Time is forged from the Time Gate or the time crystals in general. Since in OoT the Time Gate is gone.

This is the third Zelda in a row that the villain is some non-descript incredibly evil being with no backstory.

Demise seems to be the anti-Hylia. The original evil, if you will. Not much else to know really. I'm far more interested in seeing exactly how Ganon come into the picture after the curse.

Tuck

What did WW say about Ganon ? The only thing I remember is his violent death (epic Master sword IN YO FOREHEAD).

My country lay within a vast desert.

When the sun rose into the sky, a burning
wind punished my lands, searing the world.
And when the moon climbed into the dark
of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes.

No matter when it came, the wind carried
the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green
fields of Hyrule brough something other
than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

I always pictured WW Ganondorf's explanation as the after the fact justifications for greed by a mad man who had way too much time to think. I really didn't see it as explaining his original goal.

Also, I'd like to say that Skyward Sword's enemy variety is pathetic. Here's some enemies that I really think should have been in the game in some fashion:

I was really hoping Darknuts would appear as the ultimate sword duel enemy, but the best we get is Stalmaster, which is just a variant on an enemy from the first dungeon and you only get to fight two in the whole game. Darknuts would have been an awesome inclusion with these controls.

With all of the renewed emphasis this game places on shields I think it's really unusual that Like Likes weren't brought back. Maybe if them flat out destroying any shield you're holding was a little too terrifying (considering the potential monetary and treasure time you may or may not have put into it) they could have merely damaged your shields you have with you when they eat you.

Having the curse status effect and not bringing back Bubbles is just goofy. They could have easily replaced the Cursed Keese. Or potentially make them similar to their TWW counterparts where you need to blow their aura away with the Bellows, a really underutilized in combat weapon.

With the way you can either throw or roll your bombs they could have done something pretty interesting with Dodongos. Gohma could have been brought back as an enemy as well--the Bow is really underutilized in combat for some bizarre reason.

The zombie Bokoblins could have easily been ReDeads or Gibdos--they wouldn't necessarily need their screams. The way they use and reuse the Bokoblin enemy design gets old pretty fast, the game could have used more variety.

And the lack of Poes just feels wrong. They don't even really need to be collectibles, but 3D Zelda without them seems incorrect.

So yeah, Darknut, Like Like, Bubble, Dodongo, Gohma, ReDead, and Poe.

kunonabi

I always pictured WW Ganondorf's explanation as the after the fact justifications for greed by a mad man who had way too much time to think. I really didn't see it as explaining his original goal.

Also, I'd like to say that Skyward Sword's enemy variety is pathetic. Here's some enemies that I really think should have been in the game in some fashion:

I was really hoping Darknuts would appear as the ultimate sword duel enemy, but the best we get is Stalmaster, which is just a variant on an enemy from the first dungeon and you only get to fight two in the whole game. Darknuts would have been an awesome inclusion with these controls.

With all of the renewed emphasis this game places on shields I think it's really unusual that Like Likes weren't brought back. Maybe if them flat out destroying any shield you're holding was a little too terrifying (considering the potential monetary and treasure time you may or may not have put into it) they could have merely damaged your shields you have with you when they eat you.

Having the curse status effect and not bringing back Bubbles is just goofy. They could have easily replaced the Cursed Keese. Or potentially make them similar to their TWW counterparts where you need to blow their aura away with the Bellows, a really underutilized in combat weapon.

With the way you can either throw or roll your bombs they could have done something pretty interesting with Dodongos. Gohma could have been brought back as an enemy as well--the Bow is really underutilized in combat for some bizarre reason.

The zombie Bokoblins could have easily been ReDeads or Gibdos--they wouldn't necessarily need their screams. The way they use and reuse the Bokoblin enemy design gets old pretty fast, the game could have used more variety.

And the lack of Poes just feels wrong. They don't even really need to be collectibles, but 3D Zelda without them seems incorrect.

I agree with the lack of darknuts. Really pissed me off that they weren't in the game. Most of the items aren't used much aside from the beetle. I really think the game suffered because of the beetle's inclusion. i though of that same image too. I'm not sure why they trapped Demise in the sword though.

Zomba13

I really wanted Darknuts too. I honestly expected at the end that going through Demise's portal would lead to a final dungeon that would have uber hard enemies like Darknuts and you'd have to fight to the top to be able to fight Demise. Was kinda disappointed that thee wasn't a Ganon's Castle style final dungeon.

I really wanted Darknuts too. I honestly expected at the end that going through Demise's portal would lead to a final dungeon that would have uber hard enemies like Darknuts and you'd have to fight to the top to be able to fight Demise. Was kinda disappointed that thee wasn't a Ganon's Castle style final dungeon.

Same here. : P I thought Link would be transported inside of a tall, menacing tower.

Jak140

This has been known for a while, but I'm honestly surprised the game didn't even MENTION it at all.

I'm just surprised it wasn't discussed in this thread at all because until now we had no idea that Zelda was the human incarnation of the goddess. The Ballad of the Goddess being Zelda's Lullaby reversed was a massive hint/spoiler.

Roto13

I'm surprised that no one has posted that the Ballad of the Goddess reversed is Zelda's Lullaby. Ultimate mindblown moment for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAHimCUKibg&feature=related

Yeah, that's not really news. Though I guess some people might not have realized that the reason the Goddess' theme is a mirrored version of Zelda's theme is that Zelda and the goddess are two sides of the same being.

In the cutscene where that's revealed, I was like "Ooooooh, I get it!" :p

I think the final Demise fight's quality depends a lot on how much player agency you take advantage of.

It took me a few hard hits to get a rhythm down for the combos (blocked hit, blocked hit, blocked hit, parry, parry, blocked hit, blocked hit, parry, parry, blocked hit, parry, parry, combo). And then the "HOLY SHIT I CAN DO IT TOO" moment was amazing.

But there's people who dodges his attacks and them never knew about the lightning strike, so they didn't have those moments.

As I said before I enjoyed the fight because I did almost nothing but parry and counterattack (hardly dodged or used regular blocking) at an increasingly fast pace and had nine hearts max. This is basically the closest thing this game has to a Dark Link fight.

RaidenZR

I'm not sure if they are literally the Poe enemy, but the Silent Realm sections use those characters that patrol with the lantern... all hell breaks loose when you make noise near them. They look A LOT like Poes.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
It just hit me...

Remmeber the Tetraforce Theory?

Kinda makes sense with Hylia. Especially with that other piece of the triforce under the bird in the shield. Just makes sense :p!

jackdoe

I did have a couple close calls over my shield nearly breaking. I guess you're fucked if that happens.

EDIT: What the fuck you can turn the lightning into a skyward strike.
I'm amazed that you beat the final boss without discovering this. But the indestructible Hylian shield pretty much makes the final bosses a cakewalk.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm amazed that you beat the final boss without discovering this. But the indestructible Hylian shield pretty much makes the final bosses a cakewalk.

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to miss that, I did. It's not hard to parry hit 3 hit combo, then you hit him. It's not that exciting this way, lol. Fi specifically said that skyward strikes won't work in his realm so I never thought to try that.

jackdoe

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to miss that, I did. It's not hard to parry hit 3 hit combo, then you hit him. It's not that exciting this way, lol. Fi specifically said that skyward strikes won't work in his realm so I never thought to try that.
Yeah. It's definitely more fun to parry his dash attack, jump back, catch a bolt of lighting, and fry his ass then to turtle for the fight.

And funnily enough, I stopped reading what Fi said so I never caught her saying that Skyward Strikes wouldn't work in his realm, haha. The only thought in my head was, if he's doing those Skyward Strike type attacks, I'll counter with it.

Anth0ny

The worst in Zelda history. Fucking bokoblins everywhere. I laughed out loud when this game's equivalent of redeads were... purple bokoblins.

5 years.

jackdoe

Also, the fact that the last dungeon ended up being Sky Keep was lame as hell. It definitely did not have the feel of a final dungeon.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sky keep didn't really have that "feel", but I loved it. It's probably my favorite dungeon in the game.

Top Bottom