• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

aiG0c.jpg

Not my work.

Absol

Well, if she didn't enter that crystal thing Demise might have broken out 100, 200 years later or something and no Link to stop him.

Also, since Ghirahim kidnapped Zelda in the future then traveled to the past then wouldn't that mean there are two Zelda in the past? One with Ghirahim and the other asleep. If so whatever happened to the other one?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Nintendo, never play with time travel again. Please.

EDIT: *Slaps head* Of course, at the beginning of the game, Zelda is already in the crystal, so The Imprisoned escaping is a result of THAT seal weakening!

Has anyone noticed that the crystal is visible in the present at the very beginning of the game? That should tell us that, in the context of the game, events in the past are predestined, correct?

sfried

Except the tree. And the Lanayru dragon.
Both the tree and Laynayru dragon apparently did not need to be alive for the prophecy to be fullfilled, much like Demise's early ressurection and curse not mattering for the fact that he will be destroyed eventually.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I noticed after you heal the dragon, the bones aren't in the present anymore...but neither is he. Did he just bail on the damn place?

Papercuts

Quite possible. The rest of the place had become a desert by then. Who wouldn't want to bail out?

Well, it'd be like the water dragon just ditching the forest because of the annoying enemies. Not sure where he'd really go, and I partially expected healing the dragon to "fix" whatever happened to that region. That was mostly because I really wanted to see the entire region in that past version, it would've looked so good. :(

I noticed after you heal the dragon, the bones aren't in the present anymore...but neither is he. Did he just bail on the damn place?

Yeah, I'm guessing they wanted to keep it vague. I assume he's still in Lanayru somewhere just perhaps not somewhere you can access. He and the other 3 dragons do appear when Link plays the entire song in front of Levios but it could be one of those things that doesn't actually happen like when Link played at earlier times and he was standing in the sky with a bunch of Loftwings flying around him.

Well, it'd be like the water dragon just ditching the forest because of the annoying enemies. Not sure where he'd really go, and I partially expected healing the dragon to "fix" whatever happened to that region. That was mostly because I really wanted to see the entire region in that past version, it would've looked so good. :(
Well some of the area does get salvaged whenever Lake Hylia appears. The first area the surounds the entrance to the third dungeon kind of resembles Lake Hylia. Maybe Faron does one useful thing in her life and opens up a river to flow and create a lake in Lanayru.

If you notice, the skeleton had a chain coming off from it. He must have been chained there before he died. After he was healed he must have been able to stop what ever was happening, therefore he no longer needed to be in that area.

I was hoping there would be time shifts in every area. Eldin could have been dormant and covered in snow. That's when they should have had Faron flooded instead of having to prove yourself to a bitch of a dragon.

jackdoe

Right, it's going to be messed up somehow. Telling storys with time involved is weird, man. As far as major events go, this should work?
The game definitely suggests predestination paradox with Zelda and Impa. But then it pulls a BTTF with the tree and the dragon and the Master Sword. So Nintendo's writers aren't sure which idea to subscribe to. But since there are more cases for BTTF time travel, that's the type of time travel I'd go with.

Lunar15

NO. NO I DO NOT WANT TALKING ABOUT TIME TRAVEL.

I'm just going to blissfully ignore time paradoxes and go on with my life. Does it make sense that this game uses two different types of time travel with out acknowledging it? No, but you know what it made sense to me at the time and felt badass, so I'm just not going to question it. I mean, if you really want to go that far with this discussion, Link defeating Demise in the past would mean that the entire game never should have happened. But you know what, it did, and time travel sucks, so I'm just going to go with the flow on this one.

Koodo

Banned
I'm missing 10 gratitude crystals and two pieces of hearts. I know the thunder dragon has one remaining piece, and I assume fat guy on that lonely sword game island has the other (is clean cut a horizontal cut?).

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THOSE 10 REMAINING MISERY CRYSTALS ARE.

jackdoe

I'm missing 10 gratitude crystals and two pieces of hearts. I know the thunder dragon has one remaining piece, and I assume fat guy on that lonely sword game island has the other (is clean cut a horizontal cut?).

I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THOSE 10 REMAINING MISERY CRYSTALS ARE.
Use dowsing to find crystals at Skyloft, Beedle's Island, or the Lumpy Pumpkin. If they find nothing, then you have to do two sidequests.

Also, I don't think fatso gives you a piece of heart.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If humanity ever discovers time travel, we are fucked so hard that day it's not even funny.

Zomba13

If you notice, the skeleton had a chain coming off from it. He must have been chained there before he died. After he was healed he must have been able to stop what ever was happening, therefore he no longer needed to be in that area.

I was hoping there would be time shifts in every area. Eldin could have been dormant and covered in snow. That's when they should have had Faron flooded instead of having to prove yourself to a bitch of a dragon.

Yeah. I first though the machine people chained him up but in the past they were all buddy buddy so maybe the pirates chained him up when he was weak or something and because you heal him he could fight them off/flee.

Koodo

Banned
Use dowsing to find crystals at Skyloft, Beedle's Island, or the Lumpy Pumpkin. If they find nothing, then you have to do two sidequests.
I have all the standalone crystals, so it's definitely side quests. I was perusing a faq and apparently Beedle has a side quest. Is there a pattern for side quest activation in this game? I've already talked to him twice on that island in the night and he didn't ask for any help then. I hope he will when I visit again.

I think the other remaining one is the item check girl.

Also, I don't think fatso gives you a piece of heart.
Crying. That's the only other place I could think of. I don't remember finding a heart in the 2nd dungeon, maybe it's there.

jackdoe

Oh, I just tried Hero Mode and saw this large ass Skip icon during a cutscene. Does it disappear or is it always there?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm near the end of my second playthrough and the item check girls has never once showed interest in link. All she says is not to make a habit out of checking her out.

I think the side quest triggers based on the number of time you go see her. I got it quite early in the game.

I just finished it. I loved the story, but I'm disappointing that it didn't tie into and explain a lot more. I was hoping for something that would tie into Zelda 1 or LttP. I feel like I have more questions about the timeline than I did before playing this now.

I also thought of Zelda II when Zelda went to sleep and I also thought of LttP's Master Sword at the end. And yes, the robots look a lot like Midna's Mask.

I just finished it. I loved the story, but I'm disappointing that it didn't tie into and explain a lot more. I was hoping for something that would tie into Zelda 1 or LttP. I feel like I have more questions about the timeline than I did before playing this now.

I also thought of Zelda II when Zelda went to sleep and I also thought of LttP's Master Sword at the end. And yes, the robots look a lot like Midna's Mask.

Zelda 1 is probably like 20,000 years after this game.

What other questions are there that would arise? It really just explains that Zelda is the reincarnation of Hylia and that Link will constantly be reincarnated as well as Demise's hatred. Which explains basically every Zelda's villain in the series.

Personally, I was hoping for more of a link (teehee) between the pieces of the Triforce and Demise, Link and Zelda; or rather Courage, Power and Wisdom. Instead of just Demise cursing Link.

jackdoe

Personally, I was hoping for more of a link (teehee) between the pieces of the Triforce and Demise, Link and Zelda; or rather Courage, Power and Wisdom. Instead of just Demise cursing Link.
I was hoping for a bittersweet ending where Link died after his fight with Demise (he meets his "demise" heh) and as a result is cursed to the cycle of reincarnation along with Demise. AND Zelda's soul was completely consumed so she would have died too. So the three of them are stuck in the never ending cycle that gets broken in a future Zelda game.

Interestingly enough unlike the other games it seems like Link is supposed to be the embodiment of all 3 characteristics not just courage in this game.

I also mentioned this pre-release but I find it interesting how the 5 races, the Sheikah and Hylia all stay down below to seal away Demise. I guess that may explain why all the sages in OoT and TWW aren't Hylian/Human(except Zelda who is the reincarnation of Hylia) and why they are needed to seal away Ganondorf in OoT.

I've wanted a Zelda game where Link dies at the end for a while now.

Never gonna happen.

And it's such a pointless thing to do. We know Link dies eventually. That's why there are other Links! Self-sacrifice is already a part of the Zelda mythos, just never with Link. He's the player avatar and it would be a kick in the stomach to the player.

Interestingly enough unlike the other games it seems like Link is supposed to be the embodiment of all 3 characteristics not just courage in this game.

I also mentioned this pre-release but I find it interesting how the 5 races, the Sheikah and Hylia all stay down below to seal away Demise. I guess that may explain why all the sages in OoT and TWW aren't Hylian/Human(except Zelda who is the reincarnation of Hylia) and why they are needed to seal away Ganondorf in OoT.
Rauru.

Never gonna happen.

And it's such a pointless thing to do. We know Link dies eventually. That's why there are other Links! Self-sacrifice is already a part of the Zelda mythos, just never with Link. He's the player avatar and it would be a kick in the stomach to the player.

But I love kicks to the stomach!

What other questions are there that would arise? It really just explains that Zelda is the reincarnation of Hylia and that Link will constantly be reincarnated as well as Demise's hatred. Which explains basically every Zelda's villain in the series.

Stuff like where are those dragons in other Zeldas? How did Zelda's dad become an owl? What are Ooccoo and are they in a future Skyloft? Is Midna really wearing a mining hat? Is Lavian the Wind Fish? You know, stuff.

Papercuts

I don't really see Link dying, but I can see Zelda biting it at some point(like mid story, and not getting revived or anything) in the series future. Probably waaaay in the series future, and not necessarily some gritty DARK MATURE ZELDA.

I was hoping for a bittersweet ending where Link died after his fight with Demise (he meets his "demise" heh) and as a result is cursed to the cycle of reincarnation along with Demise. AND Zelda's soul was completely consumed so she would have died too. So the three of them are stuck in the never ending cycle that gets broken in a future Zelda game.

I think that'd be a bit too dark.

jackdoe

I don't really see Link dying, but I can see Zelda biting it at some point(like mid story, and not getting revived or anything) in the series future. Probably waaaay in the series future, and not necessarily some gritty DARK MATURE ZELDA.
Haha. After collecting the Triforce and freeing Zelda from the crystal, I expected an Aerith moment. The slow motion and the smiles all screamed FFVII to me.

I think that'd be a bit too dark.
True enough. But if a game like Kingdom Hearts can get away with semi-dark material, I'm sure Zelda can too.

I took Demise's curse to be more figurative than literal.

There's always going to be someone like him and Hylia and Link are always going to have to rise up to deal with that. And if they don't, the Gods freak the fuck out.

Actually, it'd be cool to see someone piece together all the little in-game references and Anouma interview snippets and estimate just how much time takes place between Skyward Sword and the most recent Zelda, chronologically. Zelda II, right?

Top Bottom