• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

Rikkun

I'm joining the bandwagon... but I was hoping for some explanation. Whatever.

What can I add? The second part of credits was AWFUL. It was all laggy, was it my Wii's fault?

And I died TWICE against Ghiranhim because of the stupid controls not working properly. The second time even the nunchuk went crazy, and I won't talk about the strike you need to hit the boss' heart.

Last thing. How can someone like Ghiranhim? Is Zelda the only game you play? It seems the marriage between silly anime and the worst trolling made in Iizuka ft. Nagoshi.

So, I'm sorry Nintendo, but OOT~MM>TWW>TP>SS

Case closed.

Kard8p3

Also, the fact that the last dungeon ended up being Sky Keep was lame as hell. It definitely did not have the feel of a final dungeon.

Felt like a final dungeon to me. It was a dungeon that took elements from all the previous dungeons and forced you to use all your items to make it through. The only thing it didn't have was a boss fight but the end of the dungeon pretty much flows right into the final set of bosses anyway.

jackdoe

Felt like a final dungeon to me. It was a dungeon that took elements from all the previous dungeons and forced you to use all your items to make it through. The only thing it didn't have was a boss fight but the end of the dungeon pretty much flows right into the final set of bosses anyway.
It lacked stylistic consistency was my main problem with it. And I get it, it was supposed to be a mishmash of styles. It just wasn't what I was hoping for in a final dungeon. It was a great dungeon nevertheless.

Lunar15

Not to mention there are a few bosses outside of dungeons which makes up for it. We got Levias and the Imprisoned battles, which were not tied to any dungeons.

Sky Keep lacked the buildup of a final dungeon. I didn't even realize it was the final dungeon until I went in a room and the environment changed to look like an area I had been to before and the music was from a previous dungeon (pretty standard Zelda final dungeon fare). It doesn't really feel like you're reaching the culmination of everything you gone through until you're actually in it. The fact that you go through the same Silent Realm stuff that you went through to get to the previous three dungeons certainly doesn't help.

Contrast all of the other 3D Zelda final dungeons--Ganon's Castle, The Moon, Ganon's Tower, and Hyrule Castle. There's no way you could be going into those dungeons without knowing it's the final one.

Kard8p3

I'm joining the bandwagon... but I was hoping for some explanation. Whatever.

What can I add? The second part of credits was AWFUL. It was all laggy, was it my Wii's fault?

And I died TWICE against Ghiranhim because of the stupid controls not working properly. The second time even the nunchuk went crazy, and I won't talk about the strike you need to hit the boss' heart.

Last thing. How can someone like Ghiranhim? Is Zelda the only game you play? It seems the marriage between silly anime and the worst trolling made in Iizuka ft. Nagoshi.

So, I'm sorry Nintendo, but OOT~MM>TWW>TP>SS

Case closed.

Just because you didn't like Ghirahim doesn't mean he's bad. Just because you say SS is the worst 3D zelda doesn't make it so either so case really isn't closed.

Rikkun

Just because you didn't like Ghirahim doesn't mean he's bad. Just because you say SS is the worst 3D zelda doesn't make it so either so case really isn't closed.

Yeah, I was obviously talking for myself. I kept playing hoping for an epic ending because of everyone saying it was the best Zelda ever, but it's not -for me-.

A really good game, way better than Darksiders but a poor Zelda (but not worse than PH and ST obv.)

ASIS

It lacked stylistic consistency was my main problem with it. And I get it, it was supposed to be a mishmash of styles. It just wasn't what I was hoping for in a final dungeon. It was a great dungeon nevertheless.

What it lacked was a sense of urgency, an apocalyptic feeling, an evil presence, etc.

What it DID have though, was huge historic feeling. Kind of like the Tower of Gods from WW. And IMO I thought that was far better suited than the usual final dungeons.

sfried

Also, the fact that the last dungeon ended up being Sky Keep was lame as hell. It definitely did not have the feel of a final dungeon.
I didn't think of it as a final dungeon but second to the last. Nice thing that they kept the "final" dungeon all action oriented in a mookfest plus Ghirahim three-phase battle.

Besides, you got the Triforce. Screw mucking about in a dungeon at that point.

Yeah, I was obviously talking for myself.

I am not sure it is 100% obvious when you say things like

Not saying I agree or disagree, but you can't say "OBVIOUSLY JUST MYSELF" as well as say "HOW CAN ANYONE LIKE WHAT I DO NOT"

ASIS

The worst in Zelda history. Fucking bokoblins everywhere. I laughed out loud when this game's equivalent of redeads were... purple bokoblins.

5 years.

I swear to god Nintendo can't win, I specifically remember a few people complaining before release that the enemy variety in the Zelda series is getting stale. So they shook them up, and now they should have brought the classics back?

Also, it's 3 years of actual development, not 5. And please don't tell me it was wasted because clearly it wasn't.

jackdoe

I didn't think of it as a final dungeon but second to the last. Nice thing that they kept the "final" dungeon all action oriented in a mookfest plus Ghirahim three-phase battle.

Besides, you got the Triforce. Screw mucking about in a dungeon at that point.
You got the Triforce and ended up killing Demise in the future, but you kill him in the past, so what the fuck do you kill in the future? It obviously isn't an alternate timeline so what the fuck is going on?

Speaking of which, that would mean Old Impa knew everything was going to turn out okay.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
You got the Triforce and ended up killing Demise in the future, but you kill him in the past, so what the fuck do you kill in the future? It obviously isn't an alternate timeline so what the fuck is going on?

Speaking of which, that would mean Old Impa knew everything was going to turn out okay.

If you killed him in the past then he would have never been around in the future for Ghirahim to try to revive him. But if he was never alive in the present then Link would never have had to go on the quest to kill him. But if Link didn't go on the quest to kill him then he would not have ended up traveling back to the past to kill him so Demise would still be alive.

With time travel it's either 1) alternate universe gets created or 2) it's just a story, don't think too hard about it.

ASIS

I think Demise wasn't effected by "time". Because when he got released in the past he still said he waited "eons" for that moment.

So yeah, that's what I think (Actually that's the only way to make sense out of it).

Kard8p3

I think Demise wasn't effected by "time". Because when he got released in the past he still said he waited "eons" for that moment.

So yeah, that's what I think (Actually that's the only way to make sense out of it).

Well yeah when you target Demise Fi says that he has mastered time and space so that's probably the case.

What I really want to know is where is past Ghirahim during the ending section? Would've been interesting if he showed up and did something. If you get really in to it then technically past Ghirahim should still be alive. Future Ghirahim went back in time to revive Demise but since Demise was defeated that means past Ghirahim has no one to revive and should still be around. That's thinking about it too much though.

Yeah, I was obviously talking for myself. I kept playing hoping for an epic ending because of everyone saying it was the best Zelda ever, but it's not -for me-.

A really good game, way better than Darksiders but a poor Zelda (but not worse than PH and ST obv.)

Nah it's cool dude. I definitely agree it's better than darksiders and I loved that game. For me the zelda formula can save pretty much any game. Darksiders was obviously a fairly week Zelda style game when compared to an actual Zelda game but it was still good fun.

Anth0ny

I swear to god Nintendo can't win, I specifically remember a few people complaining before release that the enemy variety in the Zelda series is getting stale. So they shook them up, and now they should have brought the classics back?

Also, it's 3 years of actual development, not 5. And please don't tell me it was wasted because clearly it wasn't.

shaking them up=bokoblin recolors

3 years of development time is still a long damn time. No excuse.

That being said, I loved the new enemies in Lanaryu. Once again, that region putting the rest of the game to shame.

ASIS

Well yeah when you target Demise Fi says that he has mastered time and space so that's probably the case.

What I really want to know is where is past Ghirahim during the ending section? Would've been interesting if he showed up and did something. If you get really in to it then technically past Ghirahim should still be alive. Future Ghirahim went back in time to revive Demise but since Demise was defeated that means past Ghirahim has no one to revive and should still be around. That's thinking about it too much though.

That actually does make sense. Ghirahim could still be around but he's not doing anything. His entire purpose was to serve his master, he wasn't evil by himself so having him around wouldn't be a problem in the future.

Yes because obviously that's the only enemy in the game.

Kard8p3

I don't really think it's a lack of creativity though. It just seems like they wanted the Bokoblins to be the main enemies you fight in the game. They even said that only enemy character to get as much work as the Bokoblins was Ghirahim.

Anth0ny

I don't really think it's a lack of creativity though. It just seems like they wanted the Bokoblins to be the main enemies you fight in the game. They even said that only enemy character to get as much work as the Bokoblins was Ghirahim.

That's lack of creativity.

Branduil

That's pretty much how Zelda final dungeons are. I liked it, and the rearranging the rooms aspect.

I am trying to remember TP's final dungeon.

Because I know OoT's was the "every dungeon represented" style, as was Wind Waker's (going as far as to use the actual dungeon bosses), but I think TP's was just the castle?

Maybe they felt the Zant fight filled in for that.

Branduil

And Lanayru was easily the best province in the game. Is it true that different teams worked on each province? If so the other teams need to learn from the Lanayru one. No stupid tadtone quests, and the most creative and fun environments and gameplay.

ASIS

I am trying to remember TP's final dungeon.

Because I know OoT's was the "every dungeon represented" style, as was Wind Waker's (going as far as to use the actual dungeon bosses), but I think TP's was just the castle?

Maybe they felt the Zant fight filled in for that.

No there was none of the in TP.

Hyrule Castle was also the only dungeon that had multiple paths to pursue. There wasn't just one way to finish that dungeon.

Really, TP was excellent.
That's lack of creativity.

The game probably had the most creative enemies since OoT. Each enemy had different ways to deal with them and the bokoblins especially react to different situations (they run from bombs, get pissed if you steal their horn, etc.)

But yes, lack of creativity, of course. I would partially agree if you said lack of distribution of enemies (though I didn't feel that myself, there tons of unique ones). But saying they were outright lazy is a bit outrageous.

sfried

The part where old Impa disappeared made me think that rather then a split timeline, the final consciousness of Demise being sealed in the Master Sword had some influence to Impa's fate. Thus it's like Back to the Future Part 2 where they return to an alternate present abeit not as drastically altered as that movie (see the Lanayru Tree as reference, not to mention the disappearance of the Gate of Time as Link, Zelda, and Groose enter the present and seeing the Master Sword rest at the pedestal). In other words, yup, you were destined to kill Demise, but he figured out the goddesses plan in the end (, and decided to curse the bloodline of Zelda and the spirit of the Hero so that he would be reborn again in some form, be it Ganon or otherwise.

Smellycat

Well, she did tell Groose that he still had a part to play in the story, and that he shouldn't sell himself short. So, I guess you can say that she knew what was going to happen.

sfried

Regardless or not Demise is "dead" in the past or in the present (the Triforce basically guarantees there is no more future Demise, in "either timeline" if you wish to believe it), he still finds a loophole in the wish.

Smellycat

Nah it's cool dude. I definitely agree it's better than darksiders and I loved that game. For me the zelda formula can save pretty much any game. Darksiders was obviously a fairly week Zelda style game when compared to an actual Zelda game but it was still good fun.

How do we know that Ghirahim existed at that point in time? It is possible that Demise created him at some point after he was sealed away by the goddess in the past. Ghirahim seems to be exactly like Fi, except he has a personality. Demise's hatred probably created the black sword and Ghirahim is basically a carrier of the sword or a prisoner to that sword. And his main function was to revive his master, Demise.

Smellycat

Regardless or not Demise is "dead" in the past or in the present (the Triforce basically guarantees there is no more future Demise, in "either timeline" if you wish to believe it), he still finds a loophole in the wish.

Yeah, I think Link wished for Demise to be eradicated in the future, but as Demise says in the past, his hatred is too strong to be wiped away and it will survive in some form or another. Which might indicate that a timeline split might have happened at that point (I can't believe I just mentioned yet another split timeline....)

Nintendo is so lazy with their storytelling..

Kard8p3

How do we know that Ghirahim existed at that point in time? It is possible that Demise created him at some point after he was sealed away by the goddess in the past. Ghirahim seems to be exactly like Fi, except he has a personality. Demise's hatred probably created the black sword and Ghirahim is basically a carrier of the sword or a prisoner to that sword. And his main function was to revive his master, Demise.

How would Demise create him after being sealed? All sealed Demise can do is emerge in his imprisoned form. Plus in the Ghirahim is in the intro where it gives the backstory.

Smellycat

How would Demise create him after being sealed? All sealed Demise can do is emerge in his imprisoned form. Plus in the Ghirahim is in the intro where it gives the backstory.

Possibly his hatred for the gods was strong enough to create Ghirahim? And I didn't see Ghirahim anywhere in the intro.

Caelus

Possibly his hatred for the gods was strong enough to create Ghirahim? And I didn't see Ghirahim anywhere in the intro.

Skyward-Sword-Intro1.jpg

Far left.

sfried

Yeah, I think Link wished for Demise to be eradicated in the future, but as Demise says in the past, his hatred is too strong to be wiped away and it will survive in some form or another. Which might indicate that a timeline split might have happened at that point (I can't believe I just mentioned yet another split timeline....)
Nononononon.... What I'm saying is the opposite of what your saying.

There is no timeline split, because as soon as they exit the Gate of Time, the consequences of Link's actions can be felt in the present. The Master Sword is still in the pedestal. Demise is now still dead, with the Triforce guaranteeing the erradication of his existence both present or past (since Link also fullfills the destiny of the Triforce by heading to the past and killing him once again). The only think Demise did was make a loophole by making his hate take shape.

Once again, I am saying they did not make a split timeline, because the moment they enter the present the actions in the past are reflected upon arrival.

I think each region should have had their own unique enemies, even if they did basically boil down to the same kind of enemies.

Instead, we got Bokoblins and plants, Bokoblins and seals, Bokoblins with electric weapons and some robot enemies.

jackdoe

Nintendo is so lazy with their storytelling..
Honestly, what the hell did Link wish for? "I wish for Demise to not exist right now, but I'll leave the terms open so that he can exist on another plane of time and space"? He sucks at wishing.

-edit-
Nononononon.... What I'm saying is the opposite of what your saying.

There is no timeline split, because as soon as they exit the Gate of Time, the consequences of Link's actions can be felt in the present. The Master Sword is still in the pedestal. Demise is now still dead, with the Triforce guaranteeing the erradication of his existence both present or past (since Link also fullfills the destiny of the Triforce by heading to the past and killing him once again). The only think Demise did was make a loophole by making his hate take shape.

Once again, I am saying they did not make a split timeline, because the moment they enter the present the actions in the past are reflected upon arrival.
So, essentially you're saying the Triforce is a laidback wish granting device and used Link to grant his own wish? I can actually roll with that.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
My solution for the series is that Nintendo opt for cutscenes with "hylian language" voice acting. Just make the animation and "sounds" expressive of whats going on. I just think the "story text" is horrible and archaic. Maybe some people do not mind. But to me. It just holds the flow of the game back.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's one thing during the ending that makes me scratch my head.

Demise let's you rest/prepare before fighting him in the past, and you can go to the future at that moment to gear up.

I know it's so the player can go buy potions and stuff, but it makes no sense that it's all pretty and rainbows if you go to the future. The place should be torn apart by Demise.

He did said that he would wait a little more because he already waited eons, but this is pushing it.

sfried

Demise let's you rest/prepare before fighting him in the past, and you can go to the future at that moment to gear up.

I know it's so the player can go buy potions and stuff, but it makes no sense that it's all pretty and rainbows if you go to the future. The place should be torn apart by Demise.
It is because the Triforce guarantees Demise...is already dead. (You Wa Shock!) You are basically meant to fullfill its role to kill him for good, even if it means going to the past.

So what if his curse lingers for centuries?

I never had an issue before, but yea, they needed more time to work on enemies. That and the lack of shit to do in The Sky was probably the two biggest issues I had. Well, those and the length after Dungeon Six.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I cant' figure it out. Why was Ghirahim trying to revive Demise in the past?

Because Link had just killed him in the future with his Triforce wish. Ghirahim figured: Hey, he may be dead now, but he's still alive in the past, and guess what, there's a gate that leads there. So I'm gonna borrow your Zelda a second so I can offer her soul and revive my master. Kthxbye.

He did said that he would wait a little more because he already waited eons, but this is pushing it.

Yeah that made me scratch my head. However, perhaps it was already set in stone that Link was going to defeat Demise, idk.

edit: also Zelda's rest for a 1000 years thing didn't seem to do jackshit. He still broke out two times after that (or was it once?).

Because Link had just killed him in the future with his Triforce wish. Ghirahim figured: Hey, he may be dead now, but he's still alive in the past, and guess what, there's a gate that leads there. So I'm gonna borrow your Zelda a second so I can offer her soul and revive my master. Kthxbye.

Ahh, that's right. He made the wish at that point. Ok, good.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah that made me scratch my head. However, perhaps it was already set in stone that Link was going to defeat Demise, idk.

edit: also Zelda's rest for a 1000 years thing didn't seem to do jackshit. He still broke out two times after that (or was it once?).

Once, but you're right. The seal still weakens and let's Demise try to eat the Temple again.

Bottom line: ZELDA IS USELESS.

AGAIN.

Top Bottom