• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

Zomba13

Stuff like where are those dragons in other Zeldas? How did Zelda's dad become an owl? What are Ooccoo and are they in a future Skyloft? Is Midna really wearing a mining hat? Is Lavian the Wind Fish? You know, stuff.

The dragons could be dead. We know they can die. The thunder dragon says that they are immortal but can still die (I take it to mean they don't die from old age etc but could be killed). Valoo could be the Fire dragon or a reincarnation.

The owl thing could be like, the king of red lions stuff or the own could be a reincarnation.

I like to think that the Ooccoo are in a future Skyloft :)( suck that the Skyloft people that stayed there turned into such hideous monsters)

I think he is the wind fish or the same species or whatever. That is if LA actually happened and wasn't all just a dream.

Where were the Gerudo? Groose definitely looked like one.

By the way, was I the only one that thought Groose was going to gain a connection to Ganon when Impa told him that he would also have a big role in all of that?

Link never stabbed him in the head in the past. None of those fights with the Imprisoned happened yet.

I was making a joke about how he's Ganondorf, but actually, yeah, it's probably related to the seal that was placed on his head by the Goddess or something.

AniHawk

so what were all the connections to oot and stuff because i was probably not looking in the right places.

also was that shot of the master sword with the foresty area in the background supposed to resemble some alttp art?

Kard8p3

Link never stabbed him in the head in the past. None of those fights with the Imprisoned happened yet.

Time doesn't matter when dealing with Demise. When Fi tells you about Demise she says he's a being that's mastered time and space. Being revived in the past is no different to him than being revived in the present.

Time doesn't matter when dealing with Demise. When Fi tells you about Demise she says he's a being that's mastered time and space. Being revived in the past is no different to him than being revived in the present.

Then shouldn't he know all about Link, and that he can't win?

Rikkun

Uh, another thing.

How come there are only two Gorons? (I met only two i think)
Where will all the new species go? Should they evolve? The squids could become Zoras? I thought they would have to die all by the ending :(

Also, why isn't Skyloft going on the land? Will it stay there forever? Is it connected to the city in the sky we saw in TP?

PS: Cheers to the italian translators. Groose became Bado, Demise became Mortipher (WHY). Lucky me having my consoles set to ye olde UK lang.

RagnarokX

Uh, another thing.

Where will all the new species go? Should they evolve? The squids could became Zoras? I thought they would have to die all by the ending :(

Also, why isn't Skyloft going on the land? Will it stay there forever? Is it connected to the city in the sky we saw in TP?

There are 3 gorons. Gorko, the one in Lanayru Caves, and the one operating Rickety Coaster.

Parellas become Zoras, Kikwis become Kokiris, Robots are already dead, Mogmas merge into Tingle.

Rikkun

There are 3 gorons. Gorko, the one in Lanayru Caves, and the one operating Rickety Coaster.

Parellas become Zoras, Kikwis become Kokiris, Robots are already dead, Mogmas merge into Tingle.

Oh yeah the fat Mogma remembered me of Tingle. I forgot about the Goron at the coaster.

FreeMufasa

Uh, another thing.

Where will all the new species go? Should they evolve? The squids could become Zoras? I thought they would have to die all by the ending :(

PS: Cheers to the italian translators. Groose became Bado, Demise became Mortipher (WHY). Lucky me having my consoles set to ye olde UK lang.

The Gorons kill the fire moles and rename Eldin Death Mountain. The Zoras take over the snorks territory. The giant tree in Faron comes to life (becoming the deku tree) and deals with the squeaky things, bringing in Hylian orphans and stopping them from aging.

It's only speculation but most people are saying city in the sky (TP) is the remains of Skylot with Ooccoo being a cross breed between loftwings and the human dwellers.

AniHawk

i think the mogmas go underground form their own society of goblins. there, they serve their king jareth, who pines after a young jennifer conelly and sings songs about her every day.

By the way, was I the only one that thought Groose was going to gain a connection to Ganon when Impa told him that he would also have a big role in all of that?
I always thought that he would change into the main antogonist of SS. It doesn't happen unfortunately. (Otherwise it would be a easy guessable twist.)

Strangely enough the game should show the beginning(or did I misinform myself?) but I didn't get that feeling. Oh okay the Master Sword is a evolution of another sword. But where does this sword come from? Why does Demise hate the goddess? He only wanted to rule of the world? Nothing more? Bit disappointed. Who created Ghirahim?

Bado is a much better name than Groose. It's the original Japanese name.

I'd give props to the French translation team at Nintendo like usual, and I really like Demise's name in French (L'Avatar du Néant = Nil's Avatar...granted that means the same as Demise, but I really like it).

One way to explain time travel in SS without creating any time paradoxes or alternative timelines would be if the Time Gate permits you to travel FOR a certain amount of time and not TO a certain point of time. That would mean you would travel for example for 3000 years, but time is passing naturally, so if one hour has passed in the present, one hour would pass in the past. That would be like the 2 wheels of a bicycle : the space between the wheels is always the same, but if you compare the position of the wheels to the ground, it has changed.

For me it's the only way to explain how for example the present hasn't been instantly changed by Ghirahim kidnapping Zelda to the past.

Or I could've been thinking too hard about this.

jonno394

Strangely enough the game should show the beginning(or did I misinform myself?) but I didn't get that feeling. Oh okay the Master Sword is a evolution of another sword. But where does this sword come from?

Created by the Goddess to be used by the hero of Legend in his preordained quest to finally defeat Demise.

Why does Demise hate the goddess? He only wanted to rule of the world? Nothing more? Bit disappointed.

Yes, unfortunately it is just another tale of greed and jealousy i'd say. He wanted the triforce so that he could dominate the world and surpass the three goddesses.

Who created Ghirahim?

I think it is exceptionally safe to assume that Demise created Ghirahim in the same way that Hylia created Fi.

CassSept

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to miss that, I did. It's not hard to parry hit 3 hit combo, then you hit him. It's not that exciting this way, lol. Fi specifically said that skyward strikes won't work in his realm so I never thought to try that.
That's the same reason why I haven't tried it. But he is easily defeatable by doing 3 Shield Bashes combo followed by a single strike, it just takes longer to kill him that way.

The worst in Zelda history. Fucking bokoblins everywhere. I laughed out loud when this game's equivalent of redeads were... purple bokoblins.

5 years.
Worst thing about TWW was the introduction of bokoblins, ugh. I really hope they get rid of them some day.

because at that point the player doesn't give a hoot
Ah, a crafty choice of words

I just finished up grabbing all the gratitude crystals which heralded the traditional disappointing reward that comes with the Zelda collecting territory, with that i'm done until I decide to take up hero mode. I notice that every time I turn on the game i'm taken aback by how colorful everything looks, reminds me how glad I am they didn't go in the realistic direction.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
because at that point the player doesn't give a hoot
rMHeV.png

MisterHero

Well I'm happy they showed why there was a Temple of Time in the Lost Woods in Twilight Princess, and that it even shares a bit of the layout (like the room for the Tree of Life, I think they match).

Either it's the one from OoT as well but it being in Castle Town is weird

Finished the game a few days ago, and have been mulling over the plot. Some aspects of connection to the series 'canon' are clear, and others not so much.

In a way, I feel like SS and TP form their own story arch, just like OoT-MM-WW form their own story arch. Aside from obvious overlaps like naming conventions, think of the nuances in their relationship:

• In SS, the Master Sword is placed in a temple just outside of the forest, in the Faron province. In TP, the Master Sword is located in what used to be a temple just outside the forest, in the Faron province.
  • In SS, Link gains the symbol of the Triforce on his hand, indicating his status as the goddess' chosen hero. Since he stays on the surface with Zelda, his bloodline presumably passes on. In TP, Link begins the game with the Triforce symbol already on his hand. The fact that SS Zelda mentions that one person is not allowed to hold the entire Triforce lends reason to the split authority between Link, Zelda and Ganondorf in TP.
  • In SS, there is a city in the sky. In TP, the characters reference a city in the sky.
  • In SS, you find remnants of the old, robotic civilization. In TP, characters make reference to an ancient civilization with advanced technology.
  • In TP, a light guardian imparts the story of the 'dark interlopers', magic users who sought the power of the Triforce and were banished to the Twilight Realm. In SS, Demise is the leader of a group of magic users who seeks the power of the Triforce. It's entirely possible that remnants of his faction tried to continue his efforts.

Until I reflect further, it just seems that SS is more of a set-up for TP than OoT (especially since the connection between TP and OoT is just so nebulous), even though SS was apparently supposed to explain the foundation of OoT.

Certainly, SS makes clear where the "Hylian" race derives from, and cleverly grounds every major villain's motivation (i.e., Demise's curse); and I can even believe that the Sealed Grounds becomes the "Temple of Time" in OoT (there do seem to be some structural similarities, and obviously the Master Sword lays dormant behind a big door). But I just wonder now if SS and TP are pushing OoT out of its central position in the Zelda canon, much like OoT and WW derailed some of the plot significance of AttLP.

Granted, that also depends on whether you think the timeline is meaningful, and the degree to which you think Nintendo really is just "retelling the legend."

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I still wish, hope, desire, for the game when the flood begins and Link dramatically dies at the end. That'd kick ass. :p

Caelus

Either it's the one from OoT as well but it being in Castle Town is weird

The Master Sword was always supposed to be in the forest, it was in ALttP, TP and now SS. Even in the original LoZ the strongest sword was near the Lost Woods, even though it's unrelated.

In OoT the MS was in Castle Town for gameplay purposes, so the player could see the effects of Ganondorf's reign when he first steps out of the ToT.

MisterHero

The Master Sword was always supposed to be in the forest, it was in ALttP, TP and now SS. Even in the original LoZ the strongest sword was near the Lost Woods, even though it's unrelated.

In OoT the MS was in Castle Town for gameplay purposes, so the player could see the effects of Ganondorf's reign when he first steps out of the ToT.
Definitely. But SS did leave the possibility for multiple 'Time gates' and established that they could be destroyed, or perhaps just moved.

Also, in Wind Waker the Master Sword and Pedestal is inside Hyrule Castle. It's probably not applicable to the current arc of SS-OoT-TP, however.

sfried

One way to explain time travel in SS without creating any time paradoxes or alternative timelines would be if the Time Gate permits you to travel FOR a certain amount of time and not TO a certain point of time. That would mean you would travel for example for 3000 years, but time is passing naturally, so if one hour has passed in the present, one hour would pass in the past. That would be like the 2 wheels of a bicycle : the space between the wheels is always the same, but if you compare the position of the wheels to the ground, it has changed.

For me it's the only way to explain how for example the present hasn't been instantly changed by Ghirahim kidnapping Zelda to the past.
That's pretty much how I treat time travel here. But the part about Ghirahim kidnapping Zelda, I came to the conclusion that it was fruitless considering the Triforce had already made its wish come reality. Link didn't need to chase him down that instant, but he would chase him down eventually and bring demise to...Demise. So in a way, the Triforce had also enacted its own self-fullfilling prophecy.

That's pretty much how I treat time travel here. But the part about Ghirahim kidnapping Zelda, I came to the conclusion that it was fruitless considering the Triforce had already made its wish come reality. Link didn't need to chase him down that instant, but he would chase him down eventually and bring demise to...Demise. So in a way, the Triforce had also enacted its own self-fullfilling prophecy.

I doubt he was thinking about Demise at the time. He likely just wanted to save Zelda.

[Nintex]

What I don't like about the modern Zelda stories is that they actively try to stop you from giving a shit about what happens. Let's take two Zelda games, TP and SS.

TP:
The people are 'unaware' that they have moved on to become spirits, life is normal to them. Luckily they did introduce some scenes to show that the world was indeed in danger... but now lets go to SS.

So we start out with Zelda and Link living in this 'perfect heaven'. Zelda falls down under the clouds, Link rushes out to help her and returns to the headmaster. The headmaster says: "Oh well, Zelda's fine I'm sure I'm worried but she should be fine." It removes any tension from the game. The only bad stuff that seems to happen in the game is:
- A Kikwi is under attack
- Zelda goes into an eternal sleep
- Protecting the temple a couple of times
- Finding an object for a sad clown
- Saving the dragon from dying

Nothing of note happens even when the big bad final boss appears he's like : "Yeah I'm going to destroy the world but I've slept for years so I don't mind if I just sit back here in this other realm and relax untill you're ready to face me."

Compare that to The Wind Waker, within 10 minutes Link sets out to save his sister. By doing that he discovers his greater quest, the world is in serious danger because Ganon is about to rise again. You can see it happening with storms across the seas, big seamonsters attacking and eventually Zelda being discovered and kidnapped. Even in the final scenes there's a sense of urgency since Ganondorf tries to use the Triforce but is beaten to the punch by the King who then floods the land.

It's really hard to give a shit about a bunch of robots and outside of like 5 NPC's there's nothing even remotely interesting in the world under the clouds to save, yet alone fight for. Not to mention that there's no real danger either. For the next Zelda Nintendo really needs to write some better doomsday scenario's and get rid of the stupid robots.

Branduil

That's the same reason why I haven't tried it. But he is easily defeatable by doing 3 Shield Bashes combo followed by a single strike, it just takes longer to kill him that way.

Worst thing about TWW was the introduction of bokoblins, ugh. I really hope they get rid of them some day.

What's wrong with Bokoblins?

There's nothing inherently wrong with Bokoblins outside of SS's overuse of them. They were completely fine in TWW and TP (where they weren't actually terribly common). It's just that SS uses constant Bokoblin revisions in place of new enemy varieties.

Top Bottom