• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (PS4/Vita/PC) - Review Thread

takoyaki

You can't buy just 999, correct?

Correct. Maybe down the line you'll be able to buy the digital versions separately, but right now there's only the double-pack.

Theres only one problem with this releasing on any platform other than ds: 999 ENDING SPOILERS:
if I remember correctly, the twist at the end is that everything on the bottom screen is akane from the past right? Doesnt putting it all on the same screen diminish this? Esp when you have to turn the ds upside down to control the past to change the future? Its been a few years so I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I always thought of this as being one of the only games that managed to use the two screens for story in a really cool way

Shizuka already finished the game and explained how they handled the thing you mentioned, here and here

Mirari

A bit pricey. Wish there was some sort of loyalty discount on Steam for owners of Zero Time Dilemma. =/

Also, how accurate is this image? The PC version is supposedly the best version, correct? 0.o

J87YAY9.png

Shizuka

A bit pricey. Wish there was some sort of loyalty discount on Steam for owners of Zero Time Dilemma. =/

Also, how accurate is this image? The PC version is supposedly the best version, correct? 0.o

J87YAY9.png

It's funny that they chose the worst character art to illustrate that. That Santa pose is the weirdest pose/art in the game, the rest isn't nearly that bad.

Dremorak

Banned
Correct. Maybe down the line you'll be able to buy the digital versions separately, but right now there's only the double-pack.

Shizuka already finished the game and explained how they handled the thing you mentioned

Man, that is SUPER disappointing. I guess its great that people can play the story if they want, but DS is still the definitive way to play it IMO.

Shizuka

Man, that is SUPER disappointing. I guess its great that people can play the story if they want, but DS is still the definitive way to play it IMO.

If you play the remake, you'll see it's definitely not the definitive way to play it, not by a long shot.

graywolf323

will we ever get the 3rd game on PS4? I still don't understand why, despite the fact the third game is out, that this isn't a complete trilogy release

plushyp

Would you guys recommend playing with dub or sub? Also I guess novel mode would be the best way to experience the games for a first playthrough?

HardRojo

I'll definitely be picking these up on PS4 along with the Danganronpa PS4 versions. Hopefully they'll release ZTD on PS4 too, though I might pick it up on Vita first. I just love this series too much.

nyan

Neo Member
Bought the game the moment it went live on Steam and I'm getting a black screen right after the logos at the beginning appear, main menu won't load up. VLR does get to the main menu but for some reason not 999. I'm so fucking frustrated :|

CrocoDuck

Was a little apprehensive about buying this for 50 bucks since I already own and beat VLR. But I just couldn't say no to 999 and bought it anyway. The cool thing, though, is that I'm playing though this game for the first time with my 9 year old brother, and he's hooked.

selo

I currently have my backlog full with
- BoTW
- Steins;Gate
- Trails in the Sky SC

And I still bought this, just to support the series/devs as I love what I've played. I've already beaten VLR on 3DS and ZTD on STEAM, it'll be my first time playing 999, looking forward to it, whenver I get a chance :D

epmode

Also I guess novel mode would be the best way to experience the games for a first playthrough?

Nah, the puzzles are important. They often touch on themes tied into the main storyline, and they're usually not too hard.

edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding what "novel mode" means. I figured it would cut puzzles out like the iOS version.

edit2: Oh yeah, I'm mistaken. Novel mode sounds like it's the way to go.

Fat Goron

I was actually worried they had their heads so deep inside their asses with the whole 'non canon' explanation that they would actually remove VLR's secret ending from this version.

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
What the devil is going on with the EU Vita version of 999? I don't use my Vita much, but I at least wanted to have the complete series on one system (which seems like it won't be happening on PS4) but the OP says Q4?

takoyaki

What the devil is going on with the EU Vita version of 999? I don't use my Vita much, but I at least wanted to have the complete series on one system (which seems like it won't be happening on PS4) but the OP says Q4?

Still unclear what's going on with the EU Vita version, it's listed as Q4 in the Zero Escape Wiki. The delay could have something to do with the previous EU publisher (Rising Star Games) for the Vita version of VLR, but that's just speculation. I think this was the last time Aksys commented on the Vita version:
Gematsu said:
Aksys Games has sent over some breaking news. The PS Vita version of Zero Escape: The Nonary Games, both physical and digital, will be delayed in Europe to “later this year.” The PlayStation 4 digital version will still launch on March 24, with the physical release date to be announced in the coming weeks.
-source

Probably best to just import the US version if you want to play the game rather sooner than later.

I'm honestly sort of afraid to play 999 again. Haven't played since launch, only talked extensively to the like three people I've lent it to and experienced it vicariously through them.

Gaspard

Already have the games so I'll wait for a sale and pick them up on PC. But good too see they're still getting love!

J87YAY9.png

DS is still the best. Same goes for Ace's artwork, which I posted on the previous page.

Shizuka

I'm honestly sort of afraid to play 999 again. Haven't played since launch, only talked extensively to the like three people I've lent it to and experienced it vicariously through them.

Playing it with a dub is a completely new and different experience, at least to me it was.

Would you guys recommend playing with dub or sub? Also I guess novel mode would be the best way to experience the games for a first playthrough?

Dub is great, it's one of the few redeeming aspects of ZTD.

Wait they dubbed over 999 now? Hm seems like a good reason to replay the game.

rickyson1

it's a minor thing but it's sorta driving me crazy right now how the game always uses "2" instead of "two" in the text for conversations

Ragona

always wanted to try the series, but i cant see myself reading so much on my pc monitor or tv screen and sadly dont have a vita. I hope this gets a switch port at some point.
Is it comfortable to play as a big screen game?

Dremorak

Banned
Person who hasn't played new version claims older version is definitive. News at 11.

Person who hasn't played original complaining about person complaining about changes to original. More on this at 11:10.

Seriously tho, unless you played the original ds version to completion you wouldn't understand why any other console would change the experience. To say any more would be spoiler territory tho. (and was explained above in spoiler quotes) Anyone who played the DS version would agree with me.

hank_tree

Person who hasn't played original complaining about person complaining about changes to original. More on this at 11:10.

Seriously tho, unless you played the original ds version to completion you wouldn't understand why any other console would change the experience. To say any more would be spoiler territory tho. (and was explained above in spoiler quotes) Anyone who played the DS version would agree with me.

I have played the DS version. I don't know why this twist is the hill that people want to die on. It doesn't even work
in the cargo room puzzle

I haven't played the PS4 version so I can't say which version is definitive.

Seriously tho, unless you played the original ds version to completion you wouldn't understand why any other console would change the experience. To say any more would be spoiler territory tho. (and was explained above in spoiler quotes)
People have played both, you're making strange assumptions here.

Anyone who played the DS version would agree with me.
Nope.

The DS specific features are overhyped and because of the way people talked about it, I guessed the twist in 999 like one minute in. The core of the story doesn't really change at all, despite the console lending itself to emphasize a certain point. Things like the flowchart are more important for a good experience.

luminous

VLR gets ten extra points alone for having a main character that isn't 'high school animu wimp lusting for quirky childhood waifu' for once. There's still Clover distracting from the atmosphere sadly, but you gotta let that pass - best game in the series.

??? Junpei isn't close to that bad, first time I hear complaints about him especially over that. Sigma isn't really that different either.

Buy this tho, 999/VLR are amazing experiences to be had

MUnited83

For you.

Completely and utterly false. I played the DS version. This new version is fine and I recommend it more than the DS version. It's frankly insulting to the game how much of jerk there is around that gimmick.

Anung

Un Rama
Never played these games before but heard a lot of good things. Is this the bet possible place to get started? Is it like a HD collection?

The original DS game was poorly paced and structurally flawed in a way that this version fixes. Factor in the other improvements and I wouldn't even recommend the DS version anymore, it's obsolete.

Top Bottom