• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games (PS4/Vita/PC) - Review Thread

rickyson1

really? all that fuss I saw people making was about a freaking sudoku puzzle?

there's actually people out there(i've seen people call the ds version the definitive version or whatever) that would prefer a sudoku puzzle to be a little different to the voice acting/improved graphics and the fucking FLOWCHART?

I just don't understand people sometimes

anyways pretty good all in all,as expected it falls into the same zone as most VNs I play(i'm pretty selective about which ones I play and usually only bother with ones that are extremely well regarded) where I enjoyed them but are different enough and I enjoyed them in different enough ways that it's hard to really rank them against each other

I will say though that (999 ending spoilers) :
the fact that I played Ever 17 years ago kind of lessened the impact of the overall plot in the true ending due to how similar it was

HardRojo

really? all that fuss I saw people making was about a freaking sudoku puzzle?

there's actually people out there(i've seen people call the ds version the definitive version or whatever) that would prefer a sudoku puzzle to be a little different to the voice acting/improved graphics and the fucking FLOWCHART?

I just don't understand people sometimes

anyways pretty good all in all,as expected it falls into the same zone as most VNs I play(i'm pretty selective about which ones I play and usually only bother with ones that are extremely well regarded) where I enjoyed them but are different enough and I enjoyed them in different enough ways that it's hard to really rank them against each other

I will say though that (999 ending spoilers) :
the fact that I played Ever 17 years ago kind of lessened the impact of the overall plot in the true ending due to how similar it was

Yeah, I never really thought the 999 ending on the DS was some kind of completely clever use of the hardware that couldn't be replicated anywhere else or something like that. I think people just overestimated it, anyways I'm glad more people can get to experience this amazing series and I'm definitely getting The Nonary Games on PS4 (might even triple dip on Steam lol).

RuhRo

Why on earth doesn't this include the third game? I have the first two on DS/3DS but would gladly spring for improved versions of all three.

Why on earth doesn't this include the third game? I have the first two on DS/3DS but would gladly spring for improved versions of all three.

An improved version of the third game is a tall order.

No but jokes aside, the game only just came out 9 months ago and is already on Vita and PC. It's weird that it's now the only one missing from PS4, but it doesn't have as much to gain as 999 or VLR from this kind of port.

DaedalusEagle

Neo Member

I couldn't agree more. I would like to have them all on PS4. Have Aksys or Chunsoft given any indication if this is planned?

RuhRo

An improved version of the third game is a tall order.

No but jokes aside, the game only just came out 9 months ago and is already on Vita and PC. It's weird that it's now the only one missing from PS4, but it doesn't have as much to gain as 999 or VLR from this kind of port.

Except that there's a significant audience for which two thirds of a series isn't appealing, but the full trilogy would be. I haven't yet played ZTD and only ever made it half way through VLR. A trilogy release would absolutely prompt me to double dip on the first two and give me an excuse to play the third. I imagine I'm not alone in that.

And how hard can it possibly be to port a game with 3DS level graphics, that already runs on PC architecture, which is quite similar to PS4? It's just a strange choice not to port it. It's not like they'd have to labor to optimize the thing.

Except that there's a significant audience for which two thirds of a series isn't appealing, but the full trilogy would be. I haven't yet played ZTD and only ever made it half way through VLR. A trilogy release would absolutely prompt me to double dip on the first two and give me an excuse to play the third. I imagine I'm not alone in that.

And how hard can it possibly be to port a game with 3DS level graphics, that already runs on PC architecture, which is quite similar to PS4? It's just a strange choice not to port it. It's not like they'd have to labor to optimize the thing.

The only compromise I could think of would be if the PS4 version was the full trilogy and the Vita/PC release was just the other two. But even that throws stuff off since Vita already has VLR. So then it'd be PS4 = All three, PC = Both, Vita = Just 999.

It's a messy situation but honestly this is no different than how many companies handle these collections. Square Enix just released a Kingdom Hearts collection with every game except DDD, which was in a pack of its own just two months ago. Spike Chunsoft also have the Danganronpa collection which is missing the upcoming, standalone UDG port, and the new V3. I definitely don't think it's ideal for us as consumers, but I guess the idea the publishers have is they want to release a cheaper collection with enough games to get people's feet wet so they'll be invested enough to buy the other, separate games without taking the wind out of the pre-existing SKU's sales.

I wouldn't be surprised if ZTD gets a standalone PS4 port at some point. For the record the PC version basically seems to be the main version, with 3DS and Vita as down-ports, so it's entirely doable.

sirronoh

Just ordered this on Amazon
plus Danganronpa 1-2 Reload
. Going to have a blast replaying these games.

Also don't mind the change from handheld/touchscreen to PS4. We get an upgrade in other areas plus more people to get to experience the greatness that is 999.

Ikon

I'm really happy this is being released. I've been wanting to play these games for quite a while but didn't fancy getting a DS to get started.

Now to clear my backlog first. See you in 2020 or so I guess!

sirronoh

I'm really happy this is being released. I've been wanting to play these games for quite a while but didn't fancy getting a DS to get started.

Now to clear my backlog first. See you in 2020 or so I guess!

lol yep, plan on playing this sometime next year. Glad they released it though.

What are you playing from your backlog in the next few weeks?

kuroneco

Anyone knows if the PS4 version will include Japanese text?
I know it has dual voices but can't find info for text.
Also need to know if the sliver case game contains Japanese or not as well...

Ganado

I dont get the disappointment over the ending puzzle. Its not like the original
sudoku puzzle
had anything to do with the themes in the game. Of course they had to
switch screens between Akane and Junpei, how else could they do it
?

Rarius

No, you're right. As always with the internet, a small amount of very vocal people completely disregard ZTD because it didn't reach lofty ideals of what they dreamed up.

Wouldn't worry too much, lots of people did. The internet just has a habit of being the echo chamber it always is.

Don't even pretend that ZTD is of the same quality. The timeline system can leave you outright stuck in places, the story completely ignores tons of VLR, things that were supposed to be in ZTD as stated by the developer...just aren't. The plot makes no sense, the villain is ridiculous and the 3d cutscenes are terribly made.

ZTD isn't awful, but it's painfully mediocre, especially since I played VLR right before it.

Don't even pretend that ZTD is of the same quality. The timeline system can leave you outright stuck in places, the story completely ignores tons of VLR, things that were supposed to be in ZTD as stated by the developer...just aren't. The plot makes no sense, the villain is ridiculous and the 3d cutscenes are terribly made.

ZTD isn't awful, but it's painfully mediocre, especially since I played VLR right before it.

It would have been like a 7/10 or something on its own, though as a sequel to the GOAT, it looks less favorable. It's like they've only half remembered VLR and even followed that up poorly. And I'm not even talking about that
Kyle
deal here, which would have been a minor issue compared to other shortcomings.

Artanisix

ZTD is great, haters gonna hate

takoyaki

Are there plans to release ZTD on PS4 too?

Nothing has been announced so far.

If it's your first time playing the series and PS4 is your only option, know that 999 works really well as a stand-alone story. It was originally intended to be a stand-alone game and 999 tells a satisfying story that VLR and ZTD just expand upon.

So, uh, my copy from Base arrived today. Turns out that it's the US version. Not an issue, as the PS4 is region free, but it does mean that the only place I've actually seen the UK version is that expensive third party seller off Amazon.

Nice work with that first EU release.

Nothing has been announced so far.

If it’s your first time playing the series and PS4 is your only option, know that 999 works really well as a stand-alone story. It was originally intended to be a stand-alone game and 999 tells a satisfying story that VLR and ZTD just expand upon.

Good to know, thanks!

Anung

Un Rama
So, uh, my copy from Base arrived today. Turns out that it's the US version. Not an issue, as the PS4 is region free, but it does mean that the only place I've actually seen the UK version is that expensive third party seller off Amazon.

Nice work with that first EU release.

I went with Base too because they were actually approaching affordable.

Everyone can play 999 now. No more complaining. Best in the trilogy.

Agreed. I've been enjoying replaying 999. This version is definitely the best way to play to me for the flowchart and voice acting (which is better than I expected going into the game). I had to get used to switching between adventure and novel screens to read certain scenes (otherwise I would have missed out on some text). I have mainly used novel so I don't miss out on some text. I've switched to ADV (adventure) when there's a lot of dialogue. The ending puzzle being changed was something I expected, but it's disappointing how it's changed going by what I've read. Not a deal breaker at all though.

Might pick up 999 again, but man... ZTD was just so absolutely godawful that it retroactively ruined my opinion of the entire series.

I wish that game had never even been made.

Anung

Un Rama
My copy arrived today. Looking forward to jumping in as I've never played a virtual novel before let alone this series.

Is the English or Japanese dub better? Also is there anyway to stop the lower screen being cut off?

Shizuka

My copy arrived today. Looking forward to jumping in as I've never played a virtual novel before let alone this series.

Is the English or Japanese dub better? Also is there anyway to stop the lower screen being cut off?

I really enjoyed the english dub.

Alcahest

Ok so I got and finished the standalone VLR Vita ver.
Could anyone tell me if the VLR from this compilation (Vita) will see and use my existing VLR save?
Or new productID so new save involved?

Please do, I've looked everywhere for this info, even gamefaqs, no go :S

You mean both games in 1 bubble for this compilation?
Could still work in any case, please test Dandy Croc ^^
Both games are in the same bubble, yes, but Shiz was saying that game saves are generally tied to their own bubble, rather than floating freely as long as the game is the same.

Alcahest

Both games are in the same bubble, yes, but Shiz was saying that game saves are generally tied to their own bubble, rather than floating freely as long as the game is the same.

Arg damn, that's right, even more than "generally", it's gotta be per specs.
So please still verify, but it's most likely not gonna work :/

Top Bottom