• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward 3DS save corrupting bug info thread

JoeFu

Banned
Dang... why can't 3DS games save to the SD card? Would've been nice to have more than one save slot in case something goes bad.

Still nothing about a patch?

Even if it wasn't you have three save slots in the Vita version, so if you can choose where you save (given the redundant selection screen in the 3DS version, I'd assume so) you'd have a fail safe: a Novel section save, and a Puzzle section save.
But what happens if the Vita version corrupts the save on all files if that happens? D:

Anywayz: Beat it on 3DS. I'll wait a year or two and then get the Vita version and replay it for trophies to get all the gold files and stuff. Don't...wanna have to deal with the 3DS version anymore. Its not just the crashes and save corruption, the game also lags badly at any time. An example is when someone is talking in Novel section and they change impressions, it pauses alot and just switches to the expression without any transition. It also lags in Puzzle sections when selecting stuff and t lags pretty much anywhere else. It might be the same in the Vita version, I dunno since I don't have it or won't have a Vita till next year, but yea...

Really dissapointing and weird. As far as I remember, there were no problems at all in 999. 999 was just so polished...I can't even understand how this happened. Hope the Vita version is better with the lage when I replay it. Dunno why its the 3DS version that has the problems since I figured that would be the lead platform since its prequel was on DS but...whatever.

Still, a awesome game. I like 999 overall, but VLR is a incredible experience. I recommend anyone getting the Vita version if they can though.,.

Xandier

Neo Member
I just crashed during a novel section, and now when I load my save, I just get a black screen. I wasn't even saving my game when it crashes, I was actually just checking my game flow to see what path I took. The game says "load complete, pick your audio language" like it normally does, but after that I just get a silent black screen. It doesn't even tell me that my data is corrupt.

Is there a quick way to just blow through all of the puzzles and and get back to where I was before? I really want to see what happens, especially considering where I was when my save got messed up.

The details of what happened during my crash are kind of spoilerish, but it does envolve the PEC.

I went through the ninth door with Phi and Dio, and we ended up in a room that looked like the PEC. It probably was the other entrance to the PEC. Phi and Dio were in the middle of talking and I wanted to see if this was a novel section or an escape section, so I checked my flow and the game crashed. Next time I tried to load, I got the black screen.

Lusankya

About the EU 3DS Version:

Ryan Deighton
"Will you guys be fixing the bug in Virtues Last Reward for Europe/Australia?"

Rising Star Games
"Hey there, the bug has been acknowledged here and we are looking into how we can help. We will let you know about any developments."

Via Facebook.
I hope they can do something and that there will be a patch available for all versions in the future.

Eusis

Spending £200 on another console shouldn't be necessary to play a game that is already on a system you own.
Japanese version never got a patch so the options seem to be working around it (do puzzles in one sitting) or getting the system and version that lacks the bug. Though we can hope that the series being more successful in NA means they'll make the effort this time to put up an eShop patch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the fact that this is a thing that they've known about since the JP version isn't encouraging. I'm about close to pulling the trigger on the PSN version and returning my 3DS copy.

(Which is something I'm afraid I'll regret when the game is long out of print, but oh well.)

Ran into the bug in the left most path was with Alice and clove going into the red door I believe . Saved in the room with 3 doors.

Hope something is done soon.

LiK

hey, i'm reading through and i'm seeing that the game freezes in more than one area? i haven't played the 3DS version yet but this sounds awful.

hey, i'm reading through and i'm seeing that the game freezes in more than one area? i haven't played the 3DS version yet but this sounds awful.

It seems possible in any puzzle area but it's not guaranteed in most. Also, the PEC room probably got the most attention because that room has a puzzle that can crash the game so people were so much more likely to save in it.

HBroward

I understand it takes a while to address this kind of issue, but I am surprised we haven't heard anything officially yet. A simple acknowledgement of the issue would be enough for me, and that they are investigating it. Realistically, it probably won't be fixed, but it would be nice to see a least a boilerplate pr statement.

Sandfox

Might not be representative of the final sales, but the difference in Amazon rankings is pretty damn telling.
More people own a 3DS so more people are going to buy it for that handheld

Might be better to just buy a Vita.
The bugs are so easy to get around that its not worth spending an extra $300 just to play without them.
Japanese version never got a patch so the options seem to be working around it (do puzzles in one sitting) or getting the system and version that lacks the bug. Though we can hope that the series being more successful in NA means they'll make the effort this time to put up an eShop patch.
Where's that Aksys guy when we need him?
He said that they are looking into it and the lack of a patch in Japan is probably due to the game not being too popular there and not enough people complaining about the glitch. This might also be why we've never heard about it until the US release.
Sigh. Anyone know if Amazon is accepting returns for this?
I think they charge you a restocking fee
there is crashing but I've heard people say that they happen in both versions(though they are more frequent in the 3DS version). So far it happened it has happened to me once after I tried to jump to a new branch. This also happened to someone here so I think the crashes only happen when you do specific things in a certain order.

JeTmAn81

Wait, this can happen in the Crew Quarters as well? I already saved there. Luckily it didn't crash, but yeesh...

FSLink

Banned
I can confirm it is for sure not just PEC and the Crew's Quarters. Hit the bug after reloading a save from the Galeum Bay puzzle, got black screen. Yeah just don't save in a puzzle room period.

JoeFu

Banned
Yes got out of the PEC with out any freezing or glitches or anything. Any other room I should be worried about? ?

creid

Yes got out of the PEC with out any freezing or glitches or anything. Any other room I should be worried about? ?
Sounds like a few people have had crashes in other rooms, so you'd be safest if only save outside puzzle rooms.

Reporting another crash, though it wasn't really in the game itself. Last night, as I was closing the game from the main menu after saving and quitting, it "crashed" when I hit the Home button.

Nothing happened to my save data though, thankfully. I just 100% the game today, so no more worrying about that. Hopefully a patch will come soon though, the game really deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible.

C.T.

Just ordered 999, I don't have 3ds yet (mostly cuz of region-locking) but 1 savefile only is pretty much non-excusable. Might this be because of japans used-game market? anyway shouldn't it be possible to include additional savefiles during localisation?

Alex

Has Aksys even acknowledged this at all, or are they just playing silent with it? Lookin' around, I saw a comment from the upcoming EU publisher but no other mentions of it, although I don't want to dig around any further as I haven't gotten to play beyond the intro puzzle yet and people love to spoil shit, it's been a busy week.

Is bug really that common, I'd be more than a little perturbed to have all of my progress wiped in the middle of things. Is taking the precautions not to save in these couple rooms enough, or is it corrupting (not just crashing) in other areas? I'm reading a lot of mixed messages, even within this thread.

Just ordered 999, I don't have 3ds yet (mostly cuz of region-locking) but 1 savefile only is pretty much non-excusable. Might this be because of japans used-game market? anyway shouldn't it be possible to include additional savefiles during localisation?

I think someone said it's because the save is rather large and you're restricted to a small amount of memory on the 3DS cart. Guess you can't save onto SD cards....why does this thing even have a damned SD card slot, again? You can't save to it, you can't run an eShop game off it, is it just for children to take a few more muddy pictures of lamps or something?

kiryogi

Banned
Has Aksys even acknowledged this at all, or are they just playing silent with it? Lookin' around, I saw a comment from the upcoming EU publisher but no other mentions of it, although I don't want to dig around any further as I haven't gotten to play beyond the intro puzzle yet and people love to spoil shit, it's been a busy week.

Is bug really that common, I'd be more than a little perturbed to have all of my progress wiped in the middle of things. Is taking the precautions not to save in these couple rooms enough, or is it corrupting (not just crashing) in other areas? I'm reading a lot of mixed messages, even within this thread.

I think someone said it's because the save is rather large and you're restricted to a small amount of memory on the 3DS cart. Guess you can't save onto SD cards....why does this thing even have a damned SD card slot, again? You can't save to it, you can't run an eShop game off it, is it just for children to take a few more muddy pictures of lamps or something?
You cant run a eshop game off of it . . .? That's weird. Pretty sure I've been able to wtih StyleSavvy and NSMB2

Alex

You cant run a eshop game off of it . . .? That's weird. Pretty sure I've been able to wtih StyleSavvy and NSMB2

Sort of, but I was ultimately wrong though, it's DSi stuff that refuses to be run off the card, 3DS exclusive fare is fine.

Would be so lovely to get saves on it, though.

corn_fest

Sort of, but I was ultimately wrong though, it's DSi stuff that refuses to be run off the card, 3DS exclusive fare is fine.

Would be so lovely to get saves on it, though.

Some games store "extra data" to the SD card... I wonder if it would be possible to store extra save files as extra data, or if that is specifically prohibited by Nintendo. Reminds me of LBP1, where they moved the save file from Save Data to Game Data in a patch because there weren't storage restrictions.

That said, I'm kind of doubtful that this will get a patch at all, being a niche title. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Alex

Some games store "extra data" to the SD card... I wonder if it would be possible to store extra save files as extra data, or if that is specifically prohibited by Nintendo. Reminds me of LBP1, where they moved the save file from Save Data to Game Data in a patch because there weren't storage restrictions.

That said, I'm kind of doubtful that this will get a patch at all, being a niche title. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Has anything gotten a patch besides MK7?

Just a question that I thought of today: Anyone with (or without) the glitch remember if their 3D was on when the glitch occurred (or didn't)? It's the only major difference (besides the second screen) between the two version that I can possibly think of. I can't imagine the glitch in the code to be caused by anything else.

My thoughts may be totally wrong, but I'm curious to know what's going wrong here. >.> My 3D is almost always on, the PEC only glitched once, and another glitch happened after an ending when I tried to jump back to a different point.

Het_Nkik

^^^I passed through the PEC room last night without any glitches. My 3D is always on.

The puzzle in the PEC room where
you have to connect colored dots
was really laggy, though.

Thores

Just a question that I thought of today: Anyone with (or without) the glitch remember if their 3D was on when the glitch occurred (or didn't)? It's the only major difference (besides the second screen) between the two version that I can possibly think of. I can't imagine the glitch in the code to be caused by anything else.

My thoughts may be totally wrong, but I'm curious to know what's going wrong here. >.> My 3D is almost always on, the PEC only glitched once, and another glitch happened after an ending when I tried to jump back to a different point.

My 3D, for the duration of my entire playthrough, was never on. The game crashed on me twice (PEC, Library) and I lost my save data once (Security Room).

Getting the true ending was still worth it.

Top Bottom