• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zod has been cast. Kneel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
OuterWorldVoice said:
I WONDER IF SUPERMAN WILL BE INITIALLY WEAKENED BY KRYPTONITE< BUT THEN OVERCOME THE KRYPTONITE WITH WILLPOWER AND THE ASSISTANCE OF HIS FRIENDS!!???

That would be so cool.

:lol Indeed it would.

Nekofrog

Banned
Still waiting for a good Superman movie.

Yes, including the crappy Donner ones. Marathoned the entire first 4 movies a year or so ago with a friend, and not even copious amounts of whiskey could save those stinkers.

Let's hope this is what I've been waiting for (Returns certainly wasn't...)

Nekofrog

Banned
Discotheque said:
The first one is a legit film. Great soundtrack and Luthor's hilarious.

It's certainly the best in the... "series", but as a standalone film? Incredibly boring. If I HAD to suffer through any of them again it'd be that one... or 4, because it's so bad it's ALMOST good.

temp

posting on contract only
article said:
Last month, it was rumored that Michael Shannon was in talks to play a villain role in Zack Snyder‘s new Superman: Man of Steel. Today Warner Bros has officially announced that Shannon has signed on to star in the film, as Kryptonian villain Zod.

This is just a couple weeks after Zack Snyder said that Viggo Mortensen is definitely not cast in the film. Latino Review‘s report about Edgar Martinez didn’t know specifically what role he was a possible contender for, so there’s a chance that he could be playing (or in the running) one of Zod’s crew.
1zz2tya.jpg

WillyFive

Nekofrog said:
It's certainly the best in the... "series", but as a standalone film? Incredibly boring. If I HAD to suffer through any of them again it'd be that one... or 4, because it's so bad it's ALMOST good.

Superman 1 + Superman 2 Donner Cut are a great film series. Dated, but great.

Cartman86

Banned
Superman Returns was good. Just saying.

Who the hell knows if this will be a good or not. All we know is the pedigree of the people involved. All of which are great. The only worry for me is Snyder who as of late hasn't been very good.

Cartman86 said:

It was pretty boring and stupid. But the plane scene...I don't see Snyder topping it.

He can do all the bullshit skyscraper suplexes and hulk smash slow-mos he wants. But it's just not gonna be as visceral as the plane scene. This is all speculation of course, but his prior action scenes haven't been very enjoyable.

WillyFive

Cartman86 said:

Of course it was good. It was excellent. But it's not what people wanted. You expect to see Superman throwing punches, not deal with parental drama, no matter how well made it was.

B.K.

Cartman86 said:
The only worry for me is Snyder who as of late hasn't been very good.

I'm more worried about the fact that Goyer wrote the script by himself. He's a horrible writer.

jett

D-Member
Darklord said:
But Heath Ledger was a genuinely good actor. Snyder is a shit director whose best work is only okay.

Nolan will have to restrain the guy. Someone take the high-speed cameras away from him plz.

Darklord

Banned
diunxx said:
Movie is going to suck, and didn't Shit Snyder say that Zod wouldn't be in the movie :lol

"he did not mince words this time around, claiming that the talk of Zod being the villain is “just wrong,” and that “the Internet has no idea what’s going on.”

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Willy105 said:
Of course it was good. It was excellent. But it's not what people wanted. You expect to see Superman throwing punches, not deal with parental drama, no matter how well made it was.

what is happening here i dont even

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Great actor, love the choice.

Have no issues with having Zod as the villian, I'm just fucking happy Supes will have someone to actually punch at.

Let the new Kneel before Zod Wb Marketing campaign begin.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Michael Shannon is brilliant. It should be fun to see him play a big comics villain. Plus, the guy deserves a solid payday once in a while.

I still think Snyder will do well with Superman. People need to remember he has nothing to do with the script.

BobTheFork said:
Honestly, when you put that list up, it's no wonder they just spinn in endless cricles with these films.
DMczaf said:
I think that list does the opposite of what you wanted.

I'd pick Richard Pryor over at least half of those.
Any one of those villains has the potential to headline or understudy as the villain with the right script.

Brainiac: menacing "strange visitor from another world" whose quest for universal knowledge was the shocking catalyst to Krypton's tragic fate. A Luthor-esque intellectual villain but combined with alien technological might.

Darkseid: THE villain. Evil and chaos personified; an immortal alien god made flesh, subjugating countless worlds in his quest for the answer to the ultimate question that will undue reality and see his purpose fulfilled.

Metallo: a "science gone awry" villain combined with Superman's most obvious weakness. Not a main but a brawny secondary villain best paired with a primary brain (i.e., Luthor or the US military).

Bizarro: another "science gone awry" brawny villain. Purely a physical aberration but with the added significance of being a twisted part of Superman himself.

Doomsday: the unstoppable force of destruction; a curse from the heavens, counterbalancing Earth's celestial gift of Superman himself. The Hulk gone rogue.

Parasite: more "science gone awry" but with darker implications, as in absorbing Superman's powers he also absorbs memories. Superman's private life, his parents loved ones and friends, in peril.

Mongul: a smaller scale version of Darkseid. "Darkseid Lite", if you will, but with a more vindictive and malicious tone.

Ultraman: all those stores about Superman going rogue? Embodied in this guy. A Superman from a parallel Earth, raised to embrace evil instead of good.

Gog: the new brand of superheroics personified. Loads of potential here for an "old versus new" storyline where the world must choose between saviors.

Mr. Mxyzptlk: a hard gag to sell for an entire movie, but think about it -- in terms of power Mxy is to Superman what Superman is to us.

Jimmy Olsen: the Daily Planet's obsession with Superman pushes him over the brink of sanity, and he stalks the Man of Steel in a desperate bid to be closer to his idol. Very dark and somber material.

Dead said:
Parasite or Metallo would be a good choice for secondary villain if there is one, and Im inclined to think there is

There is a rumor about General Lane and Metallo appearing in the film as enemies: "The military, under the direction of General Sam Lane, uses kryptonite to power an experimental cyborg super solider named Metallo. He’s ultimately exploited as a weapon against Superman."

3 enemies would just be too much for this film though. Maybe Zod will be introduced in a Krypton scene for his sentencing and then kept out until the next film. But that would be a complete rehash of Superman 2.

Darklord said:
"he did not mince words this time around, claiming that the talk of Zod being the villain is “just wrong,” and that “the Internet has no idea what’s going on.”

Maybe this is a sign of him absolutely having no control over this picture. Or he purposefully wanted to look like a fool today.

JGS

Banned
Considering his last villian was real estate and gravity, this is a step up.

Michael Shannon is awesome and I only hope this doesn't interfere with Empire as I prefer he stays there.

Satch

Banned
I want this movie to do well so that it gets a sequel and I eventually get to see Darkseid.

fuck zod

Oppo

Ok that guy is an amazing actor and gives me hope for the Zod role.

... but I gotta agree with the peanut galley. This movie needed Brainiac.

JGS

Banned
I'm thinking the movies want everything to be about saving Metropolis. I don't see space travel in Superman's future.

Drakeon

Y'know, Superman has more than 2 villains, they really could stand to branch out from Zod/Luther. What about parasite? Or Brainiac?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
JGS said:
I'm thinking the movies want everything to be about saving Metropolis. I don't see space travel in Superman's future.
If Green Lantern is a success I bet they'll be much more open to taking Superman into space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom