• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zod has been cast. Kneel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabanton

evilromero said:
Why do they refuse to use Darkseid as a villain in the Superman movies?

Darkseid is sequel material.

Maybe Synder throws us a bone ala The Joker card at the end of BB.

Looking forward to the movie as Michael Shannon is a great actor.

Dead Man

LiveFromKyoto said:
When did the internet decide it didn't like Zod? He's awesome and has one of the best villain catch phrases ever.
I don't dislike Zod, but what will this add to the established arc?

LAUGHTREY said:
I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW SUPERMAN COMES FROM KRYPTON AND HIS HARDSHIPS GROWING UP AND THEN FIGHTING LUTHOR/ZOD
Exactly.

Medalion

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
When did the internet decide it didn't like Zod? He's awesome and has one of the best villain catch phrases ever.
I blame Smallville for ruining him...twice on the show with 2 different interpretations and actors

2md2cdx.jpg

KNEEEEEEEL! :p

No but seriously great choice

wetwired

I like Zod, and I'm not offended by this casting decision, that is all.

No wait, I'm not done, I would have loved to see Viggo as Zod but this guy is ok too I guess.

ArjanN

evilromero said:

It's the same with almost all the superhero movies, they want them to appeal to a general audience, not just comic book fans so they tone down the sci-fi/fantasy elements.

It's also why most of the superhero movies are origin stories.

Is there some rule that the only villains allowed to be used in superman films are Zoe,luthor and Richard Prior? I mean wtf seriously. What about braniac, parasite, Mongol, bizarro, or metallo?

Furret

Banned
ArjanN said:
It's the same with almost all the superhero movies, they want them to appeal to a general audience, not just comic book fans so they tone down the sci-fi/fantasy elements.

Isn't it more likely to simply be cost?

It's not like Star Wars, Avatar and Lord of the Rings did badly with their full-on sci-fi/fantasy worlds. And the first two had to invent their worlds, this would be using an already established one.

Darksied and everything to do with Apokolips would have to be pretty much 100% CGI to work properly. I'd hate to see a man-in-suit version that looked like The Thing from the Fantastic Four movies.

Slayven

Morn said:
A R rated Superman where Superboy Prime flies around and punches peoples heads off would be awesome.
I think he would be easy to do. Have Cadmus try to clone Superman but mess up the solar energy absorbance rate, making him more powerful and mentally unstable. Have him escape and fuck Superman up and spend an act with SBP going around trying to be Superman. But the stupid people keep dying on him.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
LiveFromKyoto said:
We like Zod. But we've already seen Zod. And there are other, more awesome Superman villains that haven't gotten a movie treatment.

ArjanN said:

It's also why most super hero movies suck.

<--- is happy that GL and Thor are embracing their "embarrassing" cosmic and magical backgrounds.

Superman Returns opens with Superman traveling around the galaxy. Of course he finds jack squat and the movie blows.

evilromero said:

Because they know they will never live up to the DCAU or Michael Ironside. Nothing in this movie will ever live up to Darkseid killing that one cop

With Zod they are probably thinking "at least we can make the best Zod!"

Davidion

Maybe it's just because I'm not big enough of a Superman zealot, but how can anyone think that he WON'T make a good Zod?

As for Darkseid, the character always struck me as the kind of villain with so much background behind it that you couldn't possibly resolve a story with him in a single movie.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
HamPster PamPster said:
Because they know they will never live up to the DCAU or Michael Ironside. Nothing in this movie will ever live up to Darkseid killing that one cop.
that episode was so good

WrikaWrek

Banned
It's really a weird piece of casting.

I honestly think what the Superman franchise needs is to grow a pair of balls, and just deliver something explosive.

But considering the casting choices, the villain.....this is just gonna be another boring superman.

Hellion

Spike Spiegel said:
List of Film Superman Villains:

[X] Lex Luthor
[X] General Zod
[X] Richard Pryor
[X] Nuclear Man
[X] Parenthood
[_] Brainiac
[_] Darkseid
[_] Metallo
[_] Bizarro
[_] Doomsday
[_] Parasite
[_] Mongul
[_] Ultraman
[_] Gog
[_] Mr. Mxyzptlk
[_] Jimmy Olsen
Stop picking the same damn villains every f*cking time, Warner Bros. :mad:
?

Also why cant they launch with a new villain like Brainiac.

LiveFromKyoto said:
No hate. Just that I have re watched Superman 2 and dont care to watch it again.

I really feel like Brainiac would be a far better choice for a reboot and a retelling of the origin story. Ah well. It's all in the execution, and I don't think Zod is as terrible a villain as a lot of people here seem to think... it's just that there are better choices for the first film (and choices that would tie in with Luthor more effectively).

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Was hoping for a doomsday or darkseid battle of absurdity that destroys half of metropolis as they get punted through skyscrapers and leave giant craters in their wake, but I suppose anything is better than a lex luther real estate scam.

Dyno

Darkseid and Brainiac aren't mainstream enough for a Superman movie and by the looks of this mainstream is what they are chasing.

Why else would the greatest minds of Hollywood wrack their brains to reboot Superman only to come up with a Reeves-era Superman 2 rehash?

That said this guy can do Zod. He'll be psycho-Zod but that will work. That guy was so psycho in Boardwalk Empire that he actually ended up not a very believable character.

Furret

Banned
Dyno said:
Darkseid and Brainiac aren't mainstream enough for a Superman movie and by the looks of this mainstream is what they are chasing.

Why else would the greatest minds of Hollywood wrack their brains to reboot Superman only to come up with a Reeves-era Superman 2 rehash?

That said this guy can do Zod. He'll be psycho-Zod but that will work. That guy was so psycho in Boardwalk Empire that he actually ended up not a very believable character.

Variations of this nonsensical argument crop up in every single comic book movie thread.

The mainstream hasn't heard of any superhero except Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

Braniac is an evil robot, Darkseid is an evil god. They aren't very complicated ideas to get across, especially when they're both smashing things up real good with lots of CGI.

Flash

siddx said:
Was hoping for a doomsday or darkseid battle of absurdity that destroys half of metropolis as they get punted through skyscrapers and leave giant craters in their wake, but I suppose anything is better than a lex luther real estate scam.

seriously, WTF. who in the hell thought luthor the real estate agent would be a good idea? Luthor can seriously be a great villain, but superman returns fucked him up. I really do hope he is included in this movie albeit in a minor role. Just to set something up in the future, have it be shown in that background that he's running for presidency or something, anything really.

I also would have liked if they gave brainiac a shoot this time around. And later, they could have used JLU's luthor-brainiac merger arc.

Chaplain

Slightly off topic but I thought it would interest many people in this thread:

original.pjpeg

Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology announced

In an early announcement to retailers, Warner Brothers is readying 'Superman: The Motion Picture Anthology' for Blu-ray on June 7.

This massive collection features 'Superman: The Movie,' 'Superman: The Movie - Extended Edition,' 'Superman II,' 'Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut,' 'Superman III,' 'Superman IV: The Quest for Peace,' and 'Superman Returns' -- all in 1080p video and with DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 soundtracks (except for 'Superman IV' which has DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo).

As for supplements, 'Superman: The Movie' includes: Commentary by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler (Original Theatrical Version); The Making of Superman: The Movie [1978 TV special]; Superman and the Mole-Men [1951 feature]; Warner Bros. Cartoons; and trailers.

'Superman: The Movie - Extended Edition' includes: Commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (Extended Version); Taking Flight: The Development of Superman; Making Superman: Filming the Legend; The Magic Behind the Cape; Screen Tests; A Selection of Restored Scenes; Additional Music Cues; and Music Only Track.

'Superman II' includes: Commentary by Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler (Original Theatrical Version); The Making of Superman II (1980 TV special); Deleted Scene; First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series; Fleischer Studios' Superman; and Theatrical Trailer.
'Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut' includes: Commentary by Richard Donner and Tom Mankiewicz (Donner Cut); Introduction by Richard Donner; Superman II: Restoring the Vision; Deleted Scenes; and Famous Studios' Superman.

'Superman III' includes: Commentary by Iilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler; The Making of Superman III (1983 TV Special); Deleted Scenes; and Theatrical Trailer.

'Superman IV' includes: Commentary by Mark Rosenthal; Superman 50th Anniversary Special (1988 TV Special); Deleted Scenes; and Theatrical Trailer.

'Superman Returns' includes: Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns Multipart Documentary; Resurrecting Jor-El; Deleted Scenes including the never-before-seen original opening to Superman Returns; Bryan Singer's Journals – Video production journals; and Trailers.

The eighth bonus disc includes: Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman (Hi-Def); You Will Believe: The Cinematic Saga of Superman; The Science of Superman (Hi-Def); The Mythology of Superman;

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTeCN0iq0Q

Dyno

Furret said:
Variations of this nonsensical argument crop up in every single comic book movie thread.

The mainstream hasn't heard of any superhero except Batman, Superman and Spider-Man.

Braniac is an evil robot, Darkseid is an evil god. They aren't very complicated ideas to get across, especially when they're both smashing things up real good with lots of CGI.

You think Hollywood film makers, responsible for tens if not hundreds of millions, think like you or I do? Hence we re-get Zod. It's been done, it's a proven earner, and so we'll get it again, and again, and again.

Blader

WrikaWrek said:
It's really a weird piece of casting.

I honestly think what the Superman franchise needs is to grow a pair of balls, and just deliver something explosive.

But considering the casting choices, the villain.....this is just gonna be another boring superman.

What about the casting choices are boring? Cavill and Costner are pitch perfect choices, and Adams and Shannon are, at the very least, interesting picks.

Furret said:
Isn't it more likely to simply be cost?

It's not like Star Wars, Avatar and Lord of the Rings did badly with their full-on sci-fi/fantasy worlds. And the first two had to invent their worlds, this would be using an already established one.

Darksied and everything to do with Apokolips would have to be pretty much 100% CGI to work properly. I'd hate to see a man-in-suit version that looked like The Thing from the Fantastic Four movies.

This needs to be quoted for obvious reasons.

And it goes to basically any opponent you can throw at Superman, except for Luthor, Zod, Richard Prior (keeping in line with the topic) and a few others.

Still, a smart Superman movie would be like Red Son. And it wouldn't even need constant CGI.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
while zod is a solid villain ...again he will immediately bring back memories of Superman2 they really need to do a different bad guy to truly start fresh.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Blader5489 said:
What about the casting choices are boring? Cavill and Costner are pitch perfect choices, and Adams and Shannon are, at the very least, interesting picks.

Cavill is interesting, Costner and Diane Lane are perfect. But Shannon and Amy Adams....not feeling them at all, they don't give me the sense this is gonna be a balls to the wall superman movie.

Vinci

Danish
Would've preferred Brainiac, but what the hell... superhero movies are getting so dull anyway. Might not even watch Man of Steel. I just don't care about Zod, at all.

Vinci said:
Would've preferred Brainiac, but what the hell... superhero movies are getting so dull anyway. Might not even watch Man of Steel. I just don't care about Zod, at all.

Bryan Singer's Brainiac storyline for the sequel to Returns sounded great, a damn shame he wasn't allowed back. :(

Blader

I can't believe people were ever seriously thinking they'd do Darkseid or Doomsday for a first movie.

Braniac, I get, but the other two are way too big and overwhelming to start off a story with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom