• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zombi U rated in Taiwan as Zombi for XB1, PS4

One of the best survival horror games of the past 5 years. It's a very good game that deserves to be played by more people, so I'm all for this. In fact, I'd be tempted to double-dip.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Pretty crazy, guess it goes to show people that said it wasn't possible to update the game to play without the gamepad.

Ah yes finally! Now I don't have to borrow or buy a Wii U to play this and BTW eat crow all of you who said this will never happen due to how the game was designed for the gamepad.

Many people are notoriously exaggerating the role of the Gamepad in many Wii U games. The fact is that very, very few games make any essential use of it.

Doczu

Now see the reviewers giving it higher scores, praising the gameplay, sales go quite well and the game gets a sequel.But not for U :(

One of the best survival horror games of the past 5 years. It's a very good game that deserves to be played by more people, so I'm all for this. In fact, I'd be tempted to double-dip.

Seriously

Its at the top of my list as one of the most underrated games ever

derFeef

Lovely. Excellent game. Coop would be cool - that multiplayer mode had promise as well.
Hopefully there are some neat refinements and tweaks.

greg400

Banned
The entire point of using the gamepad was that you have to divert your focus away from the main screen. If anything a non-transparent GUI would be needed, but that would still not be the same. Vita and Smartglass are what you need here. Or a smartphone app.

I know, I've beaten the game. You're right now that I think about it, a live action GUI that you can't see through would be the right way to go. I don't really think it would detract much from the experience either, I used to be a huge advocate for the GamePad functionality in ZombiU but lets not kid ourselves, pretty much everything can be replicated just as well. Sure you don't have to look down but that's basically it.

KHlover

Banned
Wish I never played it. I hate the combat, especially whacking shit with melee weapons.

Multiplayer is the best game mode anyways and you have plenty of weapons there :*

I know, I've beaten the game. You're right now that I think about it, a live action GUI that you can't see through would be the right way to go. I don't really think it would detract much from the experience either, I used to be a huge advocate for the GamePad functionality in ZombiU but it lets not kid ourselves, pretty much everything can be replicated just as well. Sure you don't have to look down but that's basically it.
Touchscreen is better for punching in codes, but yeah - you'd be able to replicate it pretty well still. As long as it inhibits your view it is fine.

Melchiah

Good to hear, that I can play it without buying another system for it. Hopefully it'll take advantage of the PS4/XBO hardware, and offer 1080p + other enhancements.

Razzorn34

Easily. This game had some great ideas. Everyone I showed it too loved the inventory mechanic. It adds so much to the game. I hope it gets a sequel sometime.

SerTapTap

And let my guess.. £40?

I sure hope not, it could really do with a budget release. It's old, not much staying power IMO unless you really like the roguelike mode (even then it'd need a harder mode) or the multiplayer. The story just feels unfinished. If they had it for $20 retail I'd double dip. It's a fun little romp but they can't pretend it's a AAA heavy hitter.

Many people are notoriously exaggerating the role of the Gamepad in many Wii U games. The fact is that very, very few games make any essential use of it.

Yeah this game in particular is pretty easy to imagine without gamepad. Cull the "tap the screen" stuff/make it a button mash, make the scanner control the same way as guns, inventory screen works like Dead Space (realtime, obscures much of the screen), you're basically all the way there already, just missing the map which is pretty non-vital since zombies are...well, zombies and thus pretty easy to deal with and discover.

I know, I've beaten the game. You're right now that I think about it, a live action GUI that you can't see through would be the right way to go. I don't really think it would detract much from the experience either, I used to be a huge advocate for the GamePad functionality in ZombiU but it lets not kid ourselves, pretty much everything can be replicated just as well. Sure you don't have to look down but that's basically it.

Not even necessary

How often did you really have a moment where you were caught of guard using the inventory?

I always prepped before hand (plus you can set shortcuts) or organized during what I knew was a safe zone.

Its really not the selling point of the game experience (even though thats how they marketed the feature)

Wish I never played it. I hate the combat, especially whacking shit with melee weapons.

Yeah

Only having the cricket bat and a handful of handgun bullets in the beggining is rough but once you get past the first hump the game opens up like crazy.

I dont think most people treated this game as a survival horror and managed their resources. Its one of the most addictive and rewarding mechanics in the game

Melchiah

Not even necessary

How often did you really have a moment where you were caught of guard using the inventory?

I always prepped before hand (plus you can set shortcuts) or organized during what I knew was a safe zone.

Its really not the selling point of the game experience (even though thats how they marketed the feature)

Sounds like a feature, that the game could do without.

(mat)

Half of the fun I had while playing this was because of the Gamepad. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much without it.

I'm hoping I'm in the minority there, and that most people don't pick this up because of people like me, who said it was great on Wii U, and then end up disappointed because it didn't live up to the hype.

jesu

From what I remember:

AR Scanner
Inventory
Codepads of all kinds
map

It's a pretty integral part of the game. You could probably replicate all those functions on a regular controller, but you'd lose a lot of the charme the game has as a result.

The entire point of using the gamepad was that you have to divert your focus away from the main screen. If anything a non-transparent GUI would be needed, but that would still not be the same. Vita and Smartglass are what you need here. Or a smartphone app.

Could you not just bring those things up on the TV as though your character was looking at them?

Like Minecraft
MinecraftMaps_20110526200551.png

Finally picked it up and played it recently due to the hype towards it on Gaf. It's a really really bad game, jeez. Some of the most boring a tedious few hours of my life wasted. Glad others like it and hope it finds a home on the PS4 and XB1 though.

Did you ignore the part where I said it needs better textures and tesselation?

Pretty much, because we're talking about a port from Ubisoft of a game that sold like shit.

Whatever enhancements we expect for the game to look decent on this new hardware, they won't be there.

Zombi U has more tension than any game I've played in recent times. Thing is, a lot of that is due to the gamepad integration for inventory management and the radar. I don't see how they can replace that, so I think Wii U will still be the best place to play this game.

derFeef

Zombi U has more tension than any game I've played in recent times. Thing is, a lot of that is due to the gamepad integration for inventory management and the radar. I don't see how they can replace that, so I think Wii U will still be the best place to play this game.

I think an overlay can work. Also Vita / Smartglass integration if they did the work for that.

LaNaranja

Hopefully if this does well we get a sequel. I loved it on the Wii U. That said I do feel that the gamepad was a big part of what added to the tension. Literally needing to look away from the TV to see the map or manage inventory can't really be replicated without a second screen. I assume they are going to add a standard mini-map onto the screen and make inventory management similar to The Last of Us where you crouch down and can kind of see the other stuff going on around you. The gameplay isn't great, the story sucks, and the graphics are kinda poop. If they are removing the gamepad I feel like they need to add something else to give the game another hook. Maybe a new, separate co-op campaign or a Dark Souls style invasion system where other living players can spawn into each others world and either rob them or help them.

It's a great game. I'm curious to see what improvements they've made... If there are any at all. Some stuff could've been tweaked like when hitting a zombie while he was on a slope would send him flying (which made it easy to make them stay away from you tho).

pizzacat

Banned
Pretty crazy, guess it goes to show people that said it wasn't possible to update the game to play without the gamepad.
But will it have the same draw? The gamepad interaction on this game is still the best, I can't even imagine the game without it

Finally picked it up and played it recently due to the hype towards it on Gaf. It's a really really bad game, jeez. Some of the most boring a tedious few hours of my life wasted. Glad others like it and hope it finds a home on the PS4 and XB1 though.

Gotta get past that first area man.

The intro is rough for sure.

Fisty

Only survival horror I would put above ZombiU in the last few years is Evil Within, and not just because there havent really been many survival horror games. Interesting concept and the backpack gimmick was neat, but I certainly wont bat an eye if we get 60fps in exchange for the gamepad gimmicks.

IIRC Jim Sterling sold me on this game, thanks Jim

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Excellent, this was the game I wanted a Wii-U for most. Hopefully it gets a graphical upgrade too.

RulkezX

Worst case of buyers remorse I ever had.

The game pushed me over the edge into buying a U at launch. I really didn't like it, there jusy want much game there.

Nice spin. No one said it was impossible. You can adapt every game, You can also adapt every Oculus game to be played on a regular screen as well. But you know - it´s not the same.

Top Bottom