• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU 2 prototype in development

kinggroin

Banned
It was criminal how little this game sold, even in the face of poor U hardware sales. However it'd be more criminal for the sequel to not be made.

Easily the best game on the system, and easily contender for GOTY last year.

To think how many folks clamoring for real survivor horror that try and find it in the neverendingly disappointing RE series, missing out on this gem. I hope it goes multiplatform for that reason, but I hope the U's unique interface remains intact.

GulAtiCa

I don't mind if a sequel heads to different systems, but I really hope it at least stays on the Wii U so the gameplay mechanics would be the same.

Yeah, for sure. Hell, making durability a hidden variable would be great. So, for example, a 2x4 would have two stages of breaking, but not every 2x4 would share the same durability. And the only way you'd be able to tell when something is broken, or about to break, is via visual cues. Increases the intensity and risk of every melee encounter, while also forcing players to consider carrying back-up melee equipment, at the cost of inventory space.

It would basically become kind of like a survivor in a certain way. Like you'd be relying on a good fire-axe for a large part of the game, and then suddenly it gets stuck in a Zombies ribcage or skull and the head falls off, leaving you with the handle.

This could potentially be devastating in much the same way as losing a long time survivor, even if you'd not be in immediate danger when it breaks. Especially with melee weapons, you tend to build a relationship of sorts. My cricket bat was called Betty btw.

I also think they should rethink the backpack inventory system. My dream would be to emulate the RE4 inventory, as it would provide a better balance between power-weapons, and small loot. A Lee Enfield taking up the same inventory space as a can of soda is kind of stupid.

It would also make preparation and proper item management more important, as an unorganized backpack could mean the difference between death and survival.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Same, which is why I would only play it on the Wii U.

I really loved the experience in its complete definition, gamepad included (but not limited to; that's the reason I think it was a very good game). Ubisoft Wii U support is great up to now and a Zombi U sequel would be the perfect way to go ahead

wii u has lots of very good games, certain parts of gaf either have ridiculously short attention spans or are liars

Well, no, not LOTS, but it has SEVERAL good, worthwhile games.
People just think they're not worthwhile enough for some stupid reason.

Worthwhile Wii U games are (in my opinion):
New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU
Nintendo Land
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (ESPECIALLY this one)

As well as several eShop only games like Little Inferno, The Cave, Mighty Switch Force HD, Nano Assault Neo and Puddle.

Wii U has more worthwhile games as the Vita has, at least (I don't take PSP and PS1 games into account there).

GAF confuses me sometimes. I thought Wii U has no worthwhile games???
Seen people wax lyrical about NFS Wii U, Monster hunter U, the Lego game, COD etc and then this.
Maybe I should start looking at buying a wiiu (post E3, of course).

Wii U has several very good games but has a limited library, so it can be hard to find a game that really keeps you coming back.

Nintendo Land was close to that catchy title they needed, but if you're not playing with friends, it's not that fun.

Castef

Banned
it has a few games that definitely deserve to be considered system seller but unfortunately they aint selling systems

A "system seller" is not the kind of definition you can "assign". It is simply based on facts. They do not raise system sales, they are not system sellers.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U has several very good games but has a limited library, so it can be hard to find a game that really keeps you coming back.

This, and in addition the Wii U failed to keep the promises with the "launch window lineup" (still missing in action Scribblenauts, Pikmin, Fit U, rayman, Wonderful101); the third party support is weak compared to the other HD twins; Nintendo's first and second party announcments are still behind the courtain. So the perception is very bad, also if actually there are interesting exclusive games on it (or coming soon)

A "system seller" is not the kind of definition you can "assign". It is simply based on facts. They do not raise system sales, they are not system sellers.

thats why i said they deserved to be 'considered' i just think not enough people have considered them

specifically i refer to Zombi U, lego city and nintendoland, there are other good and great games too

Game was cool, but I'm of the opinion that all the second screen crap could've been handled without one. I'm just not sold on second screen gaming at all, after owning a Wii U since launch. But I digress... I'd be down for another Zombi U.

Wii U has more worthwhile games as the Vita has, at least
Thanks for the laugh.

kinggroin

Banned
I played it and found it to be very fun (and very fucking hard) so far.
Maybe it's just because it doesn't take much for me to have fun?

If youre a 360 or ps3 owner, that game isnt a very compelling reason to pick up a wii u.

Hell, even if you own a wii u, not at its original asking price.

Very happy to hear more is possible in the future. ZombiU was a fantastic game, easily one of the best of its year, flaws and all.

I'd love to see them add more melee weapon options this time around, just to give it a bit of variety. (Keep the melee emphasis, but just add a bit more, maybe you can have your weapon knocked out of your hands this time, so there are more melee options in the environment.)

Other than that, seeing a new setting (or logical extension from the previous setting) with some refined controls, graphics, and fewer bugs sounds great.

If youre a 360 or ps3 owner, that game isnt a very compelling reason to pick up a wii u.

Hell, even if you own a wii u, not at its original asking price.

As a point of comparison, I'll strongly disagree. It might not be a reason to pick up a Wii U in and of itself, but if you have a Wii U and you don't have this game, I can't imagine why you wouldn't pick it up.

goomba

Banned
How can you port beg something that has no platforms currently? It wouldn't be a stretch to say that a Wii U release without Nintendo intervention isn't going to happen with certainty.

Thread title = ZombiU2 prototype in development

How can you port beg something that has no platforms currently? It wouldn't be a stretch to say that a Wii U release without Nintendo intervention isn't going to happen with certainty.

assuming the game gets made a wii u release is fairly obvious, wii u exclusive on the other hand is more up in the air

I would adore another Zomibeu game. The first one had a few bugs, and was missing a few things, but the idea was refreshing, and despite its flaws... one of my favorite games in recent years!!!!!!

Give me more of the same, keep the slow pace, give me the Wii U experience, Upgrade dem graphics and you got yourself a sale Ubi. The only other game I might look forward to more would be X.

mantidor

I wouldn't mind a sequel going multiplatform as long as the Wii U is the main platform, I don't think I would enjoy this game as much if it was on Steam with prettier graphics, the gamepad makes this game what it is, and that needs to be expanded.

I would have loved some sort of wii mote / gamepad hybrid because dual analog sucks, but I can't think of an implementation that isn't cumbersome, still, using the wiimote to beatdown a zombie with a cricket bat just seems much more satisfying :p and aiming... I admit is the first time I've tried dual analog, but it sucks, even though I've improved considerably, but pointing beats it any day.

Fandangox

"PS: Zombies" sounds like the greatest game title ever, they ought to make it just because of that.

"Dear Brandon:

I hear that you had troubles getting used to your new place. Moving is always an stressful experience, I assume you lost a lot of sleep. I also heard you were now admitted into college, congratulations. I know college life can be hard, specially while having a job, but you gotta hang in there.

You are always welcome to visit us here in Oregon. Its usually calm, and the scenery is nice, you should come in the Summer!

If you ever feel like just moving here that would also be acceptable! You could transfer college here and I could get my cousin to find you a job while you settle in. There's not much negatives here, just some cold weather, grumpy people and some zombies. Either way I think it would be fantastic if you decide to move here.

So you should come!"

-Rob.

PS: Bring weapons.

E3 2013 Believe

Shaanyboi

Banned
Awesome! I'm all over this!

But give it time. The first one suffered from its shorter dev time. Better melee weapons and combat is a must (hell, take the Dead Island approach with the analog swinging). Gun combat... ehh.. I felt it was fine the way it was.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Needs more Bono

kPMh2NF.jpg

Basil

Banned
If they even make a sequel I can't see one advantage of it being Wii U exclusive at this point.

No point wasting a dev team creating an original title from the ground only to send it out to bomba.

I'm betting retitling and multiplatform release. If it happens.

If they even make a sequel I can't see one advantage of it being Wii U exclusive at this point.

No point wasting a dev team creating an original title from the ground only to send it out to bomba.

I'm betting retitling and multiplatform release. If it happens.

Can't the same be said for all platform exclusive titles? Why make a game for Xbox 720 or a PS4 whose install base will substantially smaller than the Wii U when it's released?

Basil

Banned
Can't the same be said for all platform exclusive titles? Why make a game for Xbox 720 or a PS4 whose install base will substantially smaller than the Wii U when it's released?

They shouldn't. They should make it for all of those.

It depends on how third party software sells on those systems; for example, the 360 launch install base bought titles at a ridiculous rate. One example was Call of Duty 2 which sold 250k in a week on 360, and sold 2 million a year after launch, and that was before the franchise became huge. Third party software seemed to sell very well.

Certain fan bases buy more of certain types of games. Third parties might find themselves more successful on other next gen consoles than Wii U. We won't really find out until they start releasing games.

Not to be a debbie-downer, but isn't one of the next Xbox games rumored to be a zombie game?
Did they say what publisher? I'm hoping that's a new Dead Rising game.

Sanctuary

I'd buy the game even if the only change was a drastic overhaul to the melee. The bat gameplay got so old, so fast while the rest of ZombiU was pretty great.

The game has a Metroidvania structure, expand it just like the likes of Super did over Metroid.

You aren't the first person to make that comparison, and I still am not seeing it. I get that you need to backtrack somewhat after you've gained a key, but many games have done that. I can't think of any areas where I needed a specific gadget to go back to a secret area or to progress the story (since all of the necessary items were given to you in a linear fashion). Did the first three Resident Evil games have a Metroid like structure too? Is backtracking all that's required for a game to be considered similar to Metroid? Didn't Zelda do that first?

Can someone explain to me why people port beg the hell out of nintendo exclusive games? Everytime they get a third party exclusive people whine for it to be on other systems yet those same people are the ones that say "oh nintendo has no third party games/support." And im not just talking WiiU, 3DS falls under the same category as well. I never see this much port begging when competitors get there exclusives.

Top Bottom