• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU Dev Diary

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The lighting is fantastic. It's actually a feature that comes across really well in all Wii U titles I've seen so far.

Realistically, lighting should be one thing Wii U shows an obvious jump in over the current gen consoles, shouldn't it? Seems like every dev has agreed the GPU is real nice and a lot stronger than PS360 levels.

Dynamic shadows have been real nice so far too.

Why is zombiu footage or something always automatically bullshots? I dont get it. It looks as great as the late games of today maybe better in some spots so it equals a bullshot?

Hoo-doo

Banned
And your point is? I think most people are excited about the similarities to Dark Souls and DayZ. And Dark Souls can hardly be accused of having amazing graphics.

This again? Come on, having a few features that are also present in Dark Souls does not mean it's in any way similar.
It's a Ubisoft first-person shooter. Dark Souls is popular because if the amazing combat mechanics and incredible level/enemy/boss encounter design. It's also a serious challenge and has an innovative and non-invasive implementation of co-op and PvP. Even the permadeath aspect of ZombiU doesn't compare, they are wildly different.

So far, I have seen none of the stuff that makes Dark Souls incredible in the ZombiU footage, and I don't expect it either.
I see a damn good zombie shooter with survival mechanics and permadeath. That sounds pretty good to me.

DrNeroCF

I'd say the game looks incredible, especially since Ubisoft is downplaying the amount of effort put into the graphics.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The environments generally look pretty nice. Characters could use more work but overall it looks fine for a launch game.

Why is zombiu footage or something always automatically bullshots? I dont get it. It looks as great as the late games of today maybe better in some spots so it equals a bullshot?
It doesn't even look that good to begin with. Maybe I'm spoiled by having a gaming PC, dunno.

Rayman and mario...hmm if i manage to get out of unemployment soon i might treat myself to one
Well in that case good luck with your job search.

tolkir

a44jec.gif

:lol dat shufflin on the left

Looks good. COuld still be the best Zombie survival game ever made.
Or.. it could just be a decent survival game. This is not going to be a bad game though.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Does anyone know how big the game is. How many miles of London does it cover? Has that been revealed yet?

Ryoku

Does anyone know how big the game is. How many miles of London does it cover? Has that been revealed yet?

It's not open-world. There's a map with various locations that you can go to.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the amount of detail in the shots. Lighting aside, there is a great amount of detail that is a step above what many games do on consoles today. But yes, the lighting is fantastic, as well--which should be obvious at this point. My gripe is the dirt on the camera. Dammit, let there be an option to remove that :(.

Ryoku

ZombiU-3.jpg

ZombiU-4.jpg

ZombiU-5.jpg

ZombiU-7.jpg

ZombiU-6.jpg

ZombiU-2.jpg

There were multiple points in the video where I wasn't sure if I was looking at real footage of London, or concept art, or in-game footage.

I have a feeling Ubi may have done a little editing to the in-game stuff, but if it looks this good when I play it, I'll be happy.

I believe shots 3 and 5 are pre-rendered cutscenes within the game. I guess it could be a rendered cutscene with higher detail than during normal gameplay, but the video is too compressed to tell accurately.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the amount of detail in the shots. Lighting aside, there is a great amount of detail that is a step above what many games do on consoles today. But yes, the lighting is fantastic, as well--which should be obvious at this point. My gripe is the dirt on the camera. Dammit, let there be an option to remove that :(.

They've definitely gone for a very filmic like quality. Probably due to the advanced shaders they can use on the WiiU GPU.

I actually like the dirt :(

I just hope every game dont start doing shit like that though.

cyberheater

Am I detecting chromatic lens aberrations and a hint of barrel distortion in some of those scenes?

I believe shots 3 and 5 are pre-rendered cutscenes within the game. I guess it could be a rendered cutscene with higher detail than during normal gameplay, but the video is too compressed to tell accurately.

Am not so sure, it looks just like a controlled angle? Other than the lighting their nothing special; and I think the lightings more 'pretty' than 'impressive'.

Roo

ZombiU-3.jpg

ZombiU-4.jpg

There were multiple points in the video where I wasn't sure if I was looking at real footage of London, or concept art, or in-game footage.

I have a feeling Ubi may have done a little editing to the in-game stuff, but if it looks this good when I play it, I'll be happy.

I love the chromatic aberration from this game.
it really suits it

jmizzal

Exactly what i'm saying WiiU has much more RAM as PS3/360 why wouldnt an exclusive game on it have equal to better looking graphics then their recent good looking games.

Makonero

Having just moved to London, that shot of Tower Bridge at night gave me chills. I just saw it for real the other day, at night, so yeah, this is creepy all around.

pringles

This game reminds me of King Kong, in how I'm not sure if I'm looking at CG, concept art or actual gameplay. I hope it turns out as good as that game. Everything about it seems too good for it to be a total flop atleast.

flippedb

Banned
But it has been in development for WiiU for 2 years, from Killer Freaks to ZombiU, those guys prob have the most WiiU experience of any 3rd party dev

From Killer Freaks, you said it. Zombi U seems to be have completely different focus than KF. From art style to gameplay.

majik13

Am I detecting chromatic lens aberrations and a hint of barrel distortion in some of those scenes?

yeah, there is, I beleive it is in all the footage/screens. I mentioned this in that Sept.13 NYC Nintendo presskit site thread. Thats the first time i saw it. No one cared though :(

With these effects, and the lens dirt, looks like they are going for a reality/video kinda vibe

cyberheater

So what's the chance that you can use the front facing camera to take a picture of youself at the beginning of the game and the game maps it onto the protagonist so that when you die, you'll eventually come across yourself?

cyberheater

yeah, there is, I beleive it is in all the footage/screens. I mentioned this in that Sept.13 NYC Nintendo presskit site thread. Thats the first time i saw it. No one cared though :(

I'm looking forward to reading the developer diaries on this aspect to see how they went about recreating that old film stock look.

majik13

I'm looking forward to reading the developer diaries on this aspect to see how they went about recreating that old film stock look.

The lens aberration and barrel distortion should be fairly easy to pulloff. I am digging the use of it, breaks up that clean cg look. I use lens aberration in vfx to match bg footage.

hym

Banned
If the game ends up as good as it looks then I doubt it will be WiiU exclusive for very long.

JDSN

Banned
ZombiU-3.jpg

ZombiU-4.jpg

ZombiU-5.jpg

ZombiU-7.jpg

ZombiU-6.jpg

ZombiU-2.jpg

Kinda looks like a Michael Mann movie, in a good way.

HeySeuss

So what's the chance that you can use the front facing camera to take a picture of youself at the beginning of the game and the game maps it onto the protagonist so that when you die, you'll eventually come across yourself?

Probably very high considering Reggie was demonstrating the zombie with his face on it at E3. I think that was for multi player but since our zombie can be killed by others on our friends list playing the game, I'd say it'll probably be used for what you just described as well.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
But it has been in development for WiiU for 2 years, from Killer Freaks to ZombiU, those guys prob have the most WiiU experience of any 3rd party dev
sure, but I don't think the engine was built ground up for the Wii u.

If the game ends up as good as it looks then I doubt it will be WiiU exclusive for very long.

Many of the gameplay features are based in the pad though.

Top Bottom