• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Does anyone know how to turn on Miiverse features in the game? Or are they on automatically?. I think I got a prompt to activate Miiverse but pressed no by accident since I was already using the touchscreen and can't see a option to turn it on.. Maybe it was for something else though, but still haven't run across any messages or any way to post my own graffiti. (Tho I guess that its because its a item you get later in the game?)

anywayz: Only played a couple hours and really enjoying it. I am glad its not super hard like Demon's Souls, since I could never get past 1-1 in that, but really hard yet in a managable way. Don't usually like hard games but really liking this so far. Just got to the
Turrent section outside the Palace and got swarmed. Whats the point of putting a bed right outside to save if you don't start from there after you die?

Like Demon's Souls, I don't like how you can't get your gear from mutible lost survivors, only the very last one you can loot. Pretty useless if I keep dying before I can get to the survivor. My longest survivor as 45 minutes for a first one. Then that all went downhill lol.

Glad I bought it. Very intense and very fun. Glad its not really scary (by that I mean I know what to expect - Zombies - and not something unexpected like in other horror games.) and glad it isn't as hard as I believed it would be.

Because that's the death mechanic in the game. When you die, that survivor becomes a zombie. You respawn as a new survivor at the Safe House.

If you hadn't died, you would start at that save point, however. So there is a point to it.

And if you didn't lose your backpack after dying a second time, there would essentially be no penalty in death aside from retreading old ground. The game would lose some tension.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Killed a zombie at the top of some stairs while he was trying to get up. He ended up toppling backwards and then rolling down the stairs. Pretty amusing and it actually looked like natural physics.

Really trying to enjoy the game but it's really frustrating when I'm doing great early on and
then get killed defending the safe house by a random horde. I killed about 4 zombies and then 2 more decide to come from outta nowhere and kill my ass.

Just seemed really cheap and put my off to the game. I'm gonna give it another shot though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Really trying to enjoy the game but it's really frustrating when I'm doing great early on and
then get killed defending the safe house by a random horde. I killed about 4 zombies and then 2 more decide to come from outta nowhere and kill my ass.

Just seemed really cheap and put my off to the game. I'm gonna give it another shot though.

Definitely the part that frustrated myself and my wife the most on our playthrough(s). I'd say the bet is to not to get yourself cornered. Best strategy I found:
If you can manage to get yourself near the fence that you can slide under to the right coming out of the safe house, zombies will try to crawl under. While they're crawling, you can OHKO them

Really that part taught me not to back yourself into a corner and to not be afraid to use the gun when you need to. Trying to melee more than one zombie is trouble, more than two is suicide.

I really like the look of this game from the videos I've watched. Have a feeling it'd be up my alley. If I bought a WiiU this'd be the game I pick up for sure.

AndTAR

These actual hands-on impressions are starting to make me regret not buying it.

My opinion of the game has pretty much been reversed by now. Critics mauling it was worrying, but these loads upon loads of positive user reactions don't really need any further analysis.

Rikkun

You guys are making my wait unbearable, fuck EU release date.
Also, I decided to buy NSMBU because prices for Nintendo software usually stay high while Ubisoft games drop pretty fast.. but :( I don't know what to do, I've been waiting for a zombie game like this FOREVER.

I think I'll wait for someone to finish the game and see how long it takes and how replayable it is..

PS: Also, Ubi € prices... 70€ (90$) or NSMBU at 60€...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Had a good hour run with one survivor, then I spawn as an Unemployed punk complete with slightly sideways / backwards cap on. Bwahaha. I'm not sure he's going to make it very far.

Medalion

Banned
Played some of this last night

Still trying to get used to the mechanics

The game is... not ugly, but it's very ... soft looking, like a filter or just cuz it was 720p or lower, dunno

The game could well be a fun ride but I haven't gotten far even past the Batcave

ElRenoRaven

God I can't wait. My newegg order finally shipped. So can't wait to play it. Seems that most are loving it. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

graydavis

Banned
Had a good hour run with one survivor, then I spawn as an Unemployed punk complete with slightly sideways / backwards cap on. Bwahaha. I'm not sure he's going to make it very far.

I had a lieutenant (didn't say in what) that last about 5 minutes, now I have a 31 year old consultant (love the career detail) and she's survived nearly 3 hours so far, now I'm nervous turning every corner, losing her would be a pretty big blow. This game is great, you always feel week, one of the most memorable moments I've had so far was reloading a mounted gun while a horde was rushing me down. that was intense

The 30th can't come soon enough!!! I'm planning on completing both the Single player game on the Hard difficulty setting and Survivor Mode with the crosshairs turned off lol.

GT have given it 65, unbelievable.

dwu8991

Banned
Played some of this last night

Still trying to get used to the mechanics

The game is... not ugly, but it's very ... soft looking, like a filter or just cuz it was 720p or lower, dunno

The game could well be a fun ride but I haven't gotten far even past the Batcave

Your eyes aren't wrong

Same problem in AC 3 as well

The devs just need to make the game with darker contrasts

Medalion

Banned
Ass Creed is by no means a pretty game either, but it looks a lil sharper than Zombi-U

But on the gamepad, makes no difference to me

Sanctuary

Also, to anyone wondering, this is NOT RED STEEL PART DEUX. If you got a Wii U and like survival horror get this game. Seriously.

Yeah, I really want to "believe", but I've felt nothing but disappointment by so many games this year that were supposed to offer up the kind of gameplay I typically enjoy the most. The Resident Evil franchise in general was my favorite series up until RE5, having played all of them. The only game that came close to replicating that series this gen would have been the first Dead Space.

Anyway, my system and game should be here tomorrow, so I'll see!

antonz

Oh man I think I broke someone's heart tonight. They aren't a gaffer as far as I know but someone's zombie was teleported into my game with a 6900 survival score needless to say with mucho ammo and they were blocking my path of continuing so someone lost a lot of loot.

Current Survivor is a Major General so I feel pretty good lol

Lucent

Yeah, as I explore the environments and appreciate how detailed and atmospheric they are, it leaves me scratching my head wondering why Gamespot said the environments weren't well done. Didn't they also say the game wasn't scary? They were dead wrong, or they're robots who can feel no emotion.

From the video review, it looked like they only played the first 15 minutes of it or something. I watched another video with a bunch of random clips and there were a lot of different weapons and locations and stuff. I think they were just lazy.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Oh man I think I broke someone's heart tonight. They aren't a gaffer as far as I know but someone's zombie was teleported into my game with a 6900 survival score needless to say with mucho ammo and they were blocking my path of continuing so someone lost a lot of loot.

Damn 6900?!?!? I bet you that guy was fricken pissed when he found out his previous self was gone :lol. I know I would have been. You should have taken a pic and miiverse'd it just to gloat!

antonz

Damn 6900?!?!? I bet you that guy was fricken pissed when he found out his previous self was gone :lol. I know I would have been. You should have taken a pic and miiverse'd it just to gloat!

Yeah I couldn't believe it when I saw it. character was glowing red etc. It was literally standing in front of a door I needed to go through so there was no being nice and letting it live.

Effect

Wow this is intense. I was doing pretty well with my survivor until the damn
attack on the safe house
. Then they just dropped like flies. On number four now with my highest score at the moment being 1090. :( My own fault I think. I could have handled it better thinking back
could have made better use of the mines I had. Also there was one spot where I was doing well at the end by hitting the zombiesas they were climbing over one of the counters. Allowed me to hit them down and then finish them off right after.
. I am glad the handgun upgrades stay. Gotta remember to keep upgrading that just in case.

I can only take so much of this game at time. Put over an hour into it already. Think I'll play some more tomorrow. I am enjoying it though

Jarsonot

Like it a lot so far. Wife was watching me play so I was moving kinda fast. Thought she'd get bored if I went slowly. Bad move. I went through about 5 peeps pretty quickly.

She's just gonna have to get used to caution and care, my friends, caution and care.

And the push move is a life saver.

Gonna restart since I'm not too far in and play fo' reals this time.

Effect

Gotta remember that R button will allow you to do a 180 degrees turn. That would have helped in the previous event. Only remembered after I was done.

BD1

Banned
I made it 1 hour, 13 minutes with one survivor...

Then was promptly wiped out in less than 3 minutes on my next 4 consecutive survivors. Lol.

Really enjoying is game.

Not very much interaction from my short play time. You can scuff the wall by hitting it with your bat, you can kick some things around, but a lot of it is just there (ie; you can't start bashing monitors, cars, or knock stuff off tables).

For instance, I wanted to attract a couple of zombies not too fargz from me, so that I could run back for cover and pick them off one by one. There was a grocery cart near me, so I wailed on it with my bat, but it didn't budge, or make any realistic sound. They didn't even notice me.

It's not really destroying my fun playing it, but a bit more interaction with the world would have made the immersion better.
Thanks. Too bad but I really like the look and feel they created would be awesome to have more interaction in a sequel.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's really nice to see this game doing well for itself. Some of the design decisions seem kind of bold given the target audience, and I like to see that kind of ambition rewarded.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
King of Zombies mode is brilliant.

My only complaint is that Ubisoft didn't include proper online
multiplayer. I guess that's for ZombiU 2.

So how does this work specifically?

I know when you die you can go back and kill your old self to get your stuff. But I'm curious as to when your old zombie self goes into the worlds of other players. Is that character in all worlds until they are killed by somebody and then that person gets their stuff? So basically first person to them, you or someone else, gets the goods?

After 7 hours and 42 minutes, my first survivor bit the dust in Buckingham Palace. Here's to Elijah Smith - it strangely felt bad having to bash his head in to get my stuff back.:(

Survivor #2 (Molly) is currently at the three hour mark. We'll see if she can beat Elijah in life expectancy.

Mercutio

Bought this on the eShop. About 5.6 Gigs. That was a SLOW download. Took about 4 hours, I think. I'm glad the Wii U handles downloads so well in the background, so we could at least play other stuff. The install, on the other hand... 30 minutes and you can't do anything while that's happening? Nintendo giveth and Nintendo taketh, I guess.

As for the game... fantastic. This is exactly what I expected and what I wanted. It reminds me so much of Condemned; a game that I feel was massively under appreciated. If you liked Condemned, I think it's safe to say you'll love this.

Lucent

After 7 hours and 42 minutes, my first survivor bit the dust in Buckingham Palace. Here's to Elijah Smith - it strangely felt bad having to bash his head in to get my stuff back.:(

Survivor #2 (Molly) is currently at the three hour mark. We'll see if she can beat Elijah in life expectancy.

wow. 7 hours and 42 minutes? I wonder how long the game is supposed to be.

It reminds me so much of Condemned; a game that I feel was massively under appreciated. If you liked Condemned, I think it's safe to say you'll love this.

This is good to hear. I haven't played it yet, but I was kinda getting a condemned vibe from this. I love first person games that are deliberate in pace, so immersive. This looks to me like Condemned/Dead Island/Dark Souls rolled into one, and that's fine by me.

The day I pick up a WiiU, whenever that is, this is the game I'm buying with it.

Ridley327

Man alive, the buildup to entering Buckingham Palace was incredible. Between the storm and finding out just how much of a bad idea going to sleep can be, this game really instills that true survival horror feeling that's been missing from way too many similar games.

jrcbandit

I died multiple times during the first zombie mini-horde attack ;p. Although the cheesy strategy of running to this one area, closing the door and standing next to the partially open sliding metal door worked wonders as you clobber zombies on the head as they crawl through.

So is the best strategy for weapon upgrades is to use them all on the handgun since that is the only weapon you respawn with?

Top Bottom