• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

fart town usa

Gold Member
Man alive, the buildup to entering Buckingham Palace was incredible. Between the storm and finding out just how much of a bad idea going to sleep can be, this game really instills that true survival horror feeling that's been missing from way too many similar games.

That part is absolutely insane. It literally had me shaking and out of breath, lol.

ivysaur12

Banned
Okay. First games I get with the WiiU are ZombiU and NSMBU. You guys convinced me. Or should I say... U guys!
It's late I'll stop.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Okay. First games I get with the WiiU are ZombiU and NSMBU. You guys convinced me. Or should I say... U guys!
It's late I'll stop.

Two totally polar opposite experiences.

ZombiU is a late night game, if you get high it will scare the living shit out of you.

New Super Mario Bros. U is the best in the 'New' series also.

Great experiences, I really hope they make a sequel to U and I haven't even beaten it yet (or gone 2 hours without a death...)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Have you guys had many online zombie friends end up in your games?

Man alive, the buildup to entering Buckingham Palace was incredible. Between the storm and finding out just how much of a bad idea going to sleep can be, this game really instills that true survival horror feeling that's been missing from way too many similar games.

Goddammit, this, so much. I am absolutely in love with this game and I have taken so long to get through just this part, but the atmosphere and buildup of this is so amazing.

(Spoilers(?) regarding this part in the game--couple hours in)
So, I got the first lockpick set and fell asleep. I'm guessing what you're alluding to by "bad idea" and falling asleep was the fucking ambush I got. I ran out of bullets in the stationary gun and started backtracking to the Raven lounge only to realize I was stuck. I pushed the radar and there were about 5 or 6 zombies outside the door and another couple coming. Couldn't save. Didn't want to lose anything. Checked my inventory and got the idea to throw a flare in the corner, open the door, and the molotov cocktail everyone as they went for the flare. About 7 of them burned and I got the hell out of there. Amazing.
That is why this game is absolutely growing on me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
they show up occasionally. I have noticed I get non friends zombies showing up too.

Excellent. That's what I'm looking forward to. Glad it's any user zombies.

derFeef

Not only is this my most-anticipated survival horror game right now, I am anxious about my first Nintendo console since many years. Is the online stuff working good now?

Come on first week of december!

antonz

Not only is this my most-anticipated survival horror game right now, I am anxious about my first Nintendo console since many years. Is the online stuff working good now?

Come on first week of december!

Nintendo does seem to have things running alot more smoothly now. Seeing tons of ingame spray paint messages etc in ZombiU so Miiverse is running ok. They basically have the growing pains that NA gets to endure to make sure Europe and Japan have a smoother run

I was wondering, as you start with a gun, does something prevents you from :

1. commit suicide
2. find your zombified character, kill it, loot ammo
3. commit suicide
4. ???
5. profit

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nintendo does seem to have things running alot more smoothly now. Seeing tons of ingame spray paint messages etc in ZombiU so Miiverse is running ok. They basically have the growing pains that NA gets to endure to make sure Europe and Japan have a smoother run

Remember when us NA gamers complained that Japan got games first? Well, sucks to be us this time doesn't it

Rich!

Yay, this feedback on GAF has sealed it for me.

Not gonna pay the ridiculous £45 they're asking for it on amazon, though. Will shop around on launch day.

Can't wait.

fart town usa

Gold Member

1. commit suicide
3. commit suicide
4. ???
5. profit

I guess you could do that but it would make for a lousy experience.

I find it best when surviving for long periods of time.

The game is pretty good so far! Emphasis on surviving, but not so much on the actual gameplay mechanics; still, it's enjoyable because of the experience it brings. It really feels like a survival horror zombie apocalypse thing-a-ma-jig. I'm playing slowly and scrounging up any bullets, candy and drinks I can find to stay alive. If it's just one or two zombies, I use my cricket bat - I'm saving my pistol rounds for hordes and tight situations.

I'm also doing a recording of my playthrough on YouTube if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okSbYJegi-g

1. commit suicide
3. commit suicide
4. ???
5. profit

I don't think you can grab ammo from a gun that has bullets loaded, I think it's only if there's a box of bullets on the zombie.

Posted on Ubi Monpellier's facebook wall ha

68398_198263376965372_575648069_n.jpg

Mael

The game is pretty good so far! Emphasis on surviving, but not so much on the actual gameplay mechanics; still, it's enjoyable because of the experience it brings. It really feels like a survival horror zombie apocalypse thing-a-ma-jig. I'm playing slowly and scrounging up any bullets, candy and drinks I can find to stay alive. If it's just one or two zombies, I use my cricket bat - I'm saving my pistol rounds for hordes and tight situations.

I'm also doing a recording of my playthrough on YouTube if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okSbYJegi-g

I'm torn....should I spoil myself or not...

- J - D -

So I started playing this earlier tonight, and within the first couple of hours I managed to trap myself in a tiny room with two doors. I had backtracked into this room when i saw a bunch of zombies aggro at me in the corridor ahead. The door I first entered from locked behind me, and I was stuck in this room with only other door standing between me and a mob of zombies, who started to pound against it.

Cornered, I felt like such an idiot, getting myself into this position. I felt so defenseless. I had six bullets, and no other offensive/defensive options other than the cricket bat and one flare. It was hectic. And at that moment, I knew I clicked with the game. It was like, "yeah, okay Zombi U, I get ya now."

If anything, I wished the game had moments that made you feel even more powerless. The cricket bat is too dependable a weapon. I'd like for the ga,e to saddle me with weaker melee weapons, like a tiny blade, or a wooden plank. Breakable weapons of sorts as well.

spekkeh

Banned
Your eyes aren't wrong

Same problem in AC 3 as well

The devs just need to make the game with darker contrasts

Probably due to this I reckon:

However, there is some unwelcome news - specifically that the HDMI output is locked to limited-range RGB only, with footage from all games we've captured thus far revealing absolutely no information in the 0-16 or 235-255 areas. Many digital displays - PC monitors in particular - don't operate correctly with limited-range RGB, giving washed out colours principally defined by blacks being more grey-like in nature. This is something Nintendo really needs to address as a matter of urgency - it's the most basic of omissions, something that Sony and Microsoft resolved to everyone's satisfaction many, many years ago.

Bizarrely, for a console launching when digital video standards are established and mature, many users may well find that they get a more vibrant picture by using the legacy component outputs.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-u-review

Mael

You will hate yourself once you see how awesome it is.
Heck even reading stuffs like this.
So I started playing this earlier tonight, and within the first couple of hours I managed to trap myself in a tiny room with two doors. I had backtracked into this room when i saw a bunch of zombies aggro at me in the corridor ahead. The door I first entered from locked behind me, and I was stuck in this room with only other door standing between me and a mob of zombies, who started to pound against it.

Cornered, I felt like such an idiot, getting myself into this position. I felt so defenseless. I had six bullets, and no other offensive/defensive options other than the cricket bat and one flare. It was hectic. And at that moment, I knew I clicked with the game. It was like, "yeah, okay Zombi U, I get ya now."

I can't play this too soon

If anything, I wished the game had moments that made you feel even more powerless. The cricket bat is too dependable a weapon. I'd like for the ga,e to saddle me with weaker melee weapons, like a tiny blade, or a wooden plank. Breakable weapons of sorts as well.

Woah Imagine being stuck in that room with a horde of zombies and you're basically throwing everything you've got, from your car keys to chairs and all...
They need to start working on a sequel stat!

beje

Banned
"Yeah" and """Unyeah""" buttons? Lol, Nintendo really went their way to use something unique and not used by any other social site.

Riposte

Can anyone succinctly breakdown why reviewers didn't like the combat? Was it frustrating to them? Was it largely dull outside the survival elements bleeding into it?

dwu8991

Banned
Can anyone succinctly breakdown why reviewers didn't like the combat? Was it frustrating to them? Was it largely dull outside the survival elements bleeding into it?

You have to hit each zombie 4 or 8 times with the cricket bat as there are no other melee items

also you can easily survive without dying by keep using the same tactics over again

ASIS

"Yeah" and """Unyeah""" buttons? Lol, Nintendo really went their way to use something unique and not used by any other social site.

Is Unyeah even a word? lol. It would have been much easier to just use like/dislike, I don't think people will be calling them out for copying these two words.

Mael

Is Unyeah even a word? lol. It would have been much easier to just use like/dislike, I don't think people will be calling them out for copying these two words.

To be fair, like and dislike has a bit of a connotation.
It's still doesn't help the disconnect like
"Man I'm stuck here!!!!"
50 Likes
But it appears less...offensive I'd say.

You have to hit each zombie 4 or 8 times with the cricket bat as there are no other melee items

also you can easily survive without dying by keep using the same tactics over again

Isn't that the whole point?
I mean that melee is shit.
What's the point of making a survival horror if there's no element of fear in it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

guek

Banned
I'm about 3-4 hrs in. Absolutely loving it so far. It's got problems though. I wouldn't give it a crazy high score...but it's definitely unique. It appeals to the inner survivor horror fan.

Eusis

What's the point of making a survival horror if there's no element of fear in it?
The idea may be similar to how Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is scary: that you have to always be careful, and a single fuck up puts you at risk of losing a lot of progress, and another fuck up following that WILL destroy that progress, yet you're never in a genuine unwinnable state unless you really screwed things up, though maybe a very annoying state.

Mael

The idea may be similar to how Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is scary: that you have to always be careful, and a single fuck up puts you at risk of losing a lot of progress, and another fuck up following that WILL destroy that progress, yet you're never in a genuine unwinnable state unless you really screwed things up, though maybe a very annoying state.

I think it's already more up my alley I mean I started Demon's Soul and well the whole "you're naked, here's a dragon, kill it" is not exactly my idea of a fun time (I think I'm missing something critical but still).
Heck the battle system in DS is closer to Monster Hunter than Kingdom Hearts in that it's intentionally slow and paced how the devs wanted to, that doesn't mean the game is broken and all because I can't progress.
I mean I still have Sonic 06 to remind me what a broken game looks like.

Just curious, not sure if this has been posted yet but I didn't wanna sift through 40+ pages of posts, but are there in-game accomplishments for ZombiU or do we have to wait until the Uplay app?

I don't have the game yet but I'm eyeing it as my next game for the system.

I don't know if melee weapons as a resource is necessary, but it would have been cool if different survivors had different melee weapons to start with.

kizmah

You guys really make it hard to live in Europe and wait for Wii U right now. Every impression in here makes me want this game even more. On the other hand, I am kinda glad that the US served as proving ground for the launch and am hopefull that Nintnedo will iron out the worst kinks in time for the 30th november.

ASIS

you to take into account that usually to keep the gui clean you have to come to compromises.
Remove Yeah would probably result into a too big button or whatever...

That's true. Oh well, its still stupid but then again it really isn't a big deal. I don't think I'll either "yeah" nor "unyeah" anything anyway :p

Desiato

I will be getting NSMBU at launch (Japan here), since it's a safe bet. But this game has really peaked my interest. The only thing that might prevent me from getting it is if it were a short game (often happens with launch games). So, does anyone have any idea how long this game is? Anyone beat it yet?

wildfire

Banned
The 30th can't come soon enough!!! I'm planning on completing both the Single player game on the Hard difficulty setting and Survivor Mode with the crosshairs turned off lol.

GT have given it 65, unbelievable.

But they actually showed exactly what put them offto this game. GT has remained my goto review site and they still do after their excellently detailed review. I know what flaws to expect and they still won't turn me off from this game.

MarkusRJR

MiiVerse at the very least is a good way to find out from actual players if a game is good. Now I can be even less reliant on "game journalists".

Ryuuga

Banned
I'm not overly impressed with the title, but yet I wouldn't write it off either. It's a step in the right direction for the survival horror games I've been looking forward to since it was apparent zombie games were trending this generation. Having limited space requires item management and in turns requires tactics in order to have a contingency plan around sticky situations you might encounter. I do like the whole community aspect of being able to pick up the goods of people who have died around you and leaving messages for others (ala~ Dark Souls) but I feel the core combat is just weak as shit. Maybe that's intentional? I find myself avoiding encounters as much as possible only using my cricket bat so I'm not driven into a corner, because both the melee and gunplay lack a considerable amount of punch in this. The first day I played a lot more multiplayer because I had a few friends over. The multiplayer was actually quite alot of fun, but the CTF mode needs a bit of balancing. While the zombielord is supposed to be some sort of omnipresent overseer, it'd be nice if there was a way to mask item placements (whether it be mines, turrets) but the game does give the survivor some considerable advantages via gifts, so maybe I just haven't found those yet.

Top Bottom