• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Effect

Loving the game.

Finally decided it was pistol time, expecting a headshot would stop a zombie.

Sometimes it take a few direct headshots to kill one... This can't be right, is it?
I wonder if it depends where you are shooting them. I haven't had a chance to really take my time to aim right at the head. The zombies are always moving and I know I'm not hitting dead center. I wonder if you get a perfect forehead shot if it will take the head off.

Loving the game.

Finally decided it was pistol time, expecting a headshot would stop a zombie.

Sometimes it take a few direct headshots to kill one... This can't be right, is it?
Hit em in the head with the cricket bat two or three times, then pull out the pistol and go for the headshot kill. I'm hoping that it becomes a one hit kill once it is upgraded further.

I wonder if it depends where you are shooting them. I haven't had a chance to really take my time to aim right at the head. The zombies are always moving and I know I'm not hitting dead center. I wonder if you get a perfect forehead shot if it will take the head off.

I have had times where one shot killed them.

Debating buying this game. I already wasted $60.00 on RE6, and I don't feel like making another mistake.

I'm a fan of RE6 for what it is (overblown action, killing monsters, etc)... saying that ZombiU is hands down one of the best "survival horror" experience in a longggggggggggggg time and for all the reasons RE6 isn't survival horror at ALL!

fart town usa

Gold Member
Debating buying this game. I already wasted $60.00 on RE6, and I don't feel like making another mistake.

This game is far and away a better and completely different experience/game.

If you like metroid prime and can still play and enjoy the original RE, you'll love this game.

Pezking

You have to hit each zombie 4 or 8 times with the cricket bat as there are no other melee items

also you can easily survive without dying by keep using the same tactics over again

So...is this point valid or complete nonsense?

Can you exploit melee to the point that the game is a complete cakewalk?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: You can crowd control with the push, but your swings are pretty big and leave you open. In other words, you can do this effectively with one zombie, maybe two (you'll have little room for error).

However, once you get into 2+ groups, good fucking luck. While you're swinging to hit one zombie, the others are flanking or moving in to bite you.

Arde5643

And to add to the above posters about melee in this game, good luck with the flanking zombies with their instakill hug-bite while you try to push and hit one or two zombies.

All zombies will do this so yeah, good luck with that. Goddamn, that Gamespot review was dumb.

Ridley327

Taking on one zombie with a cricket bat is a valid strategy; they get staggered long enough for you to get in another hit unscathed.

The problem is that zombies are rarely alone, and when you aggro one, it's not long before his friends join in, rendering that strategy useless.

It's definitely a game that emphasizes flight vs. fight.

Reclaimer

Taking on one zombie with a cricket bat is a valid strategy; they get staggered long enough for you to get in another hit unscathed.

The problem is that zombies are rarely alone, and when you aggro one, it's not long before his friends join in, rendering that strategy useless.

It's definitely a game that emphasizes flight vs. fight.

And this game totally gets the slow moving horde right! They might not be sprinting after you, but god damn do a group of zombies find a way to get you cornered. You gotta try and keep it 1 v 1 or you are asking for trouble.

Always have your inventory managed and your quick use slots set up.

Running away or sneaking past unnoticed is often the best way to survive.

Awesome! It seems so rare that games get this kind of horror right.

Pyronite

What is the experience of killing another player like? How many shots does it take, how many whacks in the head with a cricket bat, etc. Are they literally being controlled by the player at the time (ala Demon/Dark Souls) or are they only zombified/CPU forms? And how often does it happen?

I think it was Patrick Klepek who was talking about killing a player zombie and taking all his stuff and feeling bad 'cause that guy couldn't get his stuff back now. How does that work?

ElRenoRaven

What is the experience of killing another player like? How many shots does it take, how many whacks in the head with a cricket bat, etc. Are they literally being controlled by the player at the time (ala Demon/Dark Souls) or are they only zombified/CPU forms? And how often does it happen?

They're Zombified NPC versions of their characters.

They're Zombified NPC versions of their characters.

No I know but does your zombified past character exist across multiple games and if you don't reach them in your game before someone does in their game you lose the ability to get the stuff off that zombie? Cause that's what it sounded like.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
I think it was Patrick Klepek who was talking about killing a player zombie and taking all his stuff and feeling bad 'cause that guy couldn't get his stuff back now. How does that work?

That's not my understanding of how it works. When you die, it spawns a clone in other people's worlds. You aren't taking "their" equipment, per say, but a copy.

No I know but does your zombified past character exist across multiple games and if you don't reach them in your game before someone does in their game you lose the ability to get the stuff off that zombie? Cause that's what it sounded like.

Im curious about this too. I died once, went back to get my stuff from my zombified self. I died doing that, and now my original self with all the stuff is gone. I'm wondering if at this point he became an NPC in someone else's game.

If anyone's killed FA-MAS in their game, that was me.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
That's not my understanding of how it works. When you die, it spawns a clone in other people's worlds. You aren't taking "their" equipment, per say, but a copy.

Great review- would you recommend this over any other 3rd party Wii U launch game? I think I'm about to take the plunge.

Scum

I think it has something to do with other players' survivors getting dropped into your personal game. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong though.

BD1

Banned
What really? Who posted it?

Not sure who posted it, someone on the ZombiU community.

But I saw the tag myself, its right outside the Safe House hallway the first horde funnels through.

There are lots of funny little tags from the dev team. Cool stuff.

Fistwell

If you love video games and play them for a living you should be capable of figuring out what this is all about in short order. No excuses.
Anytime a video game reviewer/journalist talks about online FPS, all they seem to say is how crazy good everyone is online and how stupid hard it is to kill anyone (if anyone has a good example of a games' journo with a 2+KD against actual competition, feel free to chime in).

Now, online FPS is only, oh I don't know, one of the most popular things in gaming right now (maybe behind dota, but then again, if you add up CS, Halo 4, CoDBlOps2 PC, PS3 and 360....). Has been popular for most of this generation and a part of the previous one.

They can't be arsed to actually get decent at it and see what it's actually about. To, you know, get to know the subject matter. And it's not like it's difficult. It only requires some time. Some investment. Or, you know, for someone who'd have to review a FPS with competitive online MP, some actual professionalism.

Not as invested in MMO and fighters myself, but I understand most reviewers, including those covering MMOs and fighting games, are pretty fucking terrible at these games as well. I mean, even I can read a review for a fighting game and see how abysmally shallow the analysis is.

They can't be arsed to actually get into some of the most important and popular genres. Do you really expect them to try and figure out something like this? I admire your optimism. I mean, some might get it. I don't believe many (if any) of them will actually put much effort into trying too hard. They got other shit to do with their time.

Not trying to pick on you or anything. And you're right in that we should hold these people to higher standards. It's just, I don't see them rising to it, ever.

I encountered this last night for the first time - the zombied survivor looked considerably more sinister than the others I have encountered up until now. He had a flaming aura/energy around him and bright red eyes. He was also a fairly highly leveled survivor, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

I killed him with a little remorse in my heart and stripped him clean of his valuables!

But the Multiplayer is 2 Players only, right? (1vs1) Because several people are hinting otherwise without saying directly. Like Giantbomb:
And good luck finding enough Pro controllers or Wii remote with nunchucks to even make the mode viable, as it is zero fun with just two players.

beanman25

Love the game even more. Spent a bit more time with it and got past the first bit. Died twice, and was very close to dying for a 3rd time in 25 minutes.

dysonEA

Does anyone who has ZombiU know if there are controller config options? Its a bit of a deal breaker if it doesn't have the "south paw" or as I refer to it "solitaire" control style. Can anyone confirm?

NickMitch

Does anyone who has ZombiU know if there are controller config options? Its a bit of a deal breaker if it doesn't have the "south paw" or as I refer to it "solitaire" control style. Can anyone confirm?

There are control options for:

- Vertical inversion
- Left or Right handed
- Sensitivity
- Aiming assist

oatmeal

Banned
Ugh...

I felt like I was doing well. And then...

On my way to the market, I try a door and the alarm goes off and 5-6 zombies show up out of nowhere and kill me. I was cornered! I couldn't climb the fence I came through so I had to fight my way out.

Total bummer that they pull that stuff.

Chiggs

Alright, I'm going to give the game a shot based off GAF reactions and Giant Bomb's review. I have some Best Buy Reward Zone coupons burning a hole in my pocket, so what's the worst that could happen?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ugh...

On my way to the market, I try a door and the alarm goes off and 5-6 zombies show up out of nowhere and kill me. I was cornered! I couldn't climb the fence I came through so I had to fight my way out.

That stuff doesn't happen nearly as much later on, I think the game in the beginning tries to make it clear that you will die if you try to fight more than 2 zombies in enclosed areas. Also, the further you get the better prepared you'll be for what awaits. The pacing in this game is brilliant.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ugh...

Easy way past that is to use one of the three, or four flares you probably found by then and just toss one. While they're occupied, just run into the building and shut the door behind you.

oatmeal

Banned
Easy way past that is to use one of the three, or four flares you probably found by then and just toss one. While they're occupied, just run into the building and shut the door behind you.

I kind of panicked and just started blasting at them lol.

Didn't work.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I kind of panicked and just started blasting at them lol.

Didn't work.

It rarely does, haha. I always have a flare equipped in case I run into more than one and I'm corned. A flare will always buy you at least a few seconds, and you can walk right next to a zombie while it's occupied with the flare.

If you have to fight a group though, don't be afraid to pull out your gun. Better to burn your ammo (and upgrade your weapons) than to die.

So if you die and your zombified character gets sent to other player's world's online, is your character only alive until someone kills them (you or someone else online), or are they always there at least waiting for you to come and get them?

Basically, once you die is it a race back to your old character because someone online could kill them before you could, thus your stuff would be lost?

Top Bottom