• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Feels like ages since I've frequented Gaf due to lack of net but I decided to pop back in since I purchased myself a WiiU on Xmas eve along with ZombiU.

Liking the game so far, have just unlocked the path to Buckingham Palace but still tinkering around Brick Lane Markets trying to suss out this pin code for the door. Not sure if I am missing a piece of the puzzle or whether I just can't work it out.

Only thing I wish the game had was a crouch feature for more stealthy movements.

Overall though, happy with my purchase.

somedevil

Got a WiiU and this for Christmas. Send me some friend invites so you can kill my many zombified survivors! Name is either Tygell or Palmer_v1.

Can someone explain something for me? Possibly spoilers for anyone not past Buckingham.
While scanning various rooms in Buckingham Palace, I've come across what appears to be numbers on a few of the paintings. They always appear to be the same so far. Is this something that will become more important? I wanted to write down the code and locations, but the game doesn't seem to have a notepad feature

Do you mean the
paintings in the underground bunker where the doctor is? Because there are different paintings with a different number on them for a door with a combination lock on it. I think you can't access that until you complete the apartments with the raving zombies to reach that door.

Bankoiia

Wow, my first survivor made it all the way to
Tower of London
and died when I tried to hit an exploding zombie with my cricket bat. Now there's a 6000+ points beast waiting for me there! Eh.

hatchx

Banned
Tower of London
and died when I tried to hit an exploding zombie with my cricket bat. Now there's a 6000+ points beast waiting for me there! Eh.

Wow that's impressive for your first survivor. I'm just past that point and I'm probably on my twentieth.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Liking the game so far, have just unlocked the path to Buckingham Palace but still tinkering around Brick Lane Markets trying to suss out this pin code for the door. Not sure if I am missing a piece of the puzzle or whether I just can't work it out.

Man, trying to get the pin code for that door was a bitch to figure out.

Splint

Tower of London

My first one died there too. Ive seen a youtube video of a "lets play" die there too. heh

Raoh

I'm pretty sure you can store it. Just make sure you're not holding the item you want to put into the container. I had that problem with the crossbow. Was holding it so I couldn't move it anywhere.

Nope, still unable to. The L9A1 pistol is not selected in hand, its actually in my bag, when I try to drag it to the metal container nothing happens.

The handgun, cricket bat and flashlight I just noticed are the only items that do not give you a prompt to discard either.

Does anyone else have to sort of...prepare themselves to play this? I mean, I have to be in a certain frame of mind. I can't just say to myself, 'hmm...let me play some ZombiU'.

Was loving the game. Never had any freezes. Then I get to the final room
where you need to pick up the scientist's eye. I go to grab his eye and the game freezes, so of course I have to turn off the power. Restart and it tells me to go back and get my "Mission items" from my previous character who is no longer there because they never actually died.
All that work for nothing. Great game, but probably the absolutely worst time for a bug. Really killed my desire to play again.

bumpkin

Finally got the game (yay, gift cards!) and started playing it last night. I made sure to do it right; turned the sound up and shut off the lights. I'm a few hours in and on my second survivor. Just reached
the lab with the scientist in the hazard suit that asks you to go find Dee's notebook.
I'm really digging the game so far. The critics - and even some of my friends - couldn't have been more wrong. It's different, but in a good way!

Palmer_v1

Nope, still unable to. The L9A1 pistol is not selected in hand, its actually in my bag, when I try to drag it to the metal container nothing happens.

The handgun, cricket bat and flashlight I just noticed are the only items that do not give you a prompt to discard either.

I'm having the same problem. I just got the shotgun, and already have silenced pistol and crossbow. Starting pistol is the only weapon I cannot store. Kinda aggravating being down 1 item slot because of it.

I'm about an hour into the game and I am really impressed with what I have seen so far. The game is a great step and natural progression for the genre.

It's also a fantastic way to show the WiiU's potential. The controller integration is a transformative experience.

Overall I am much more impressed than I was anticipating.

Does anyone else have to sort of...prepare themselves to play this? I mean, I have to be in a certain frame of mind. I can't just say to myself, 'hmm...let me play some ZombiU'.

Yeah, I'm like that for any horror game that has actual scares (like, not RE). Part of it is that I have to kind of immerse myself in it in a way I don't have to for other genres. Otherwise it just becomes a slow action game.

Was loving the game. Never had any freezes. Then I get to the final room
where you need to pick up the scientist's eye. I go to grab his eye and the game freezes, so of course I have to turn off the power. Restart and it tells me to go back and get my "Mission items" from my previous character who is no longer there because they never actually died.
All that work for nothing. Great game, but probably the absolutely worst time for a bug. Really killed my desire to play again.

I fell through the floor at this point. I'm holding off from my Surivor Playthrough until Ubi fixes this mess.

KU_

So I got this for Christmas, and I'm up to Dee's Flats I think it is. Been enjoying it, but I'm slightly disappointed due to it not being as scary as I thought it would be. I think it's the atmosphere, I don't really feel helpless or at the mercies of the environment like I did with Condemned. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, and the gameplay is solid, I just thought it was going to be a little scarier. Does it get more atmospheric/scary as I get deeper into the game?

aparisi2274

So, can anyone tell me if I can change my difficulty at any time during my current game? Or do I need to start over and select a new difficulty then?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Yes, but I am like that with most survival horror games that put horror over action. Each "trek" I take is usually two-three hours long, but I only play maybe once every week (less lately because of family being over for the holidays). When I do play though, it is with all the lights out and at night! It provides for such a scary/intense experience, and I am loving every second of it so far!

I am at the Tower of London and it doesn't feel like I have made any progress in the game, mostly because I am not very good. I am still using brand new survivors and have lost the carbine, double-barreled shotgun, the crossbow, and the silenced pistol. So even if I do make it back to my recently-downed survivor (at the hands of an exploding zombie, of which you don't know about until its too late it seems), all I get out of it is a flare or something. So I respawn, slog through the level again, make it a room farther and then repeat with the same lack of resources. I get that is part of the point of the game but I might have to start over at the lower difficulty to minimize frustrations because I do really like the game.

I did have a survivor last almost two hours but I lost him in that swampy section right before the Tower where the zombies can wade through the water much faster than I could. And then an inexplicable exploding zombie got my next character right before I made it back to him. Seems sniper lady doesn't stick around for your next character.

Oidisco

I am at the Tower of London and it doesn't feel like I have made any progress in the game, mostly because I am not very good. I am still using brand new survivors and have lost the carbine, double-barreled shotgun, the crossbow, and the silenced pistol. So even if I do make it back to my recently-downed survivor (at the hands of an exploding zombie, of which you don't know about until its too late it seems), all I get out of it is a flare or something. So I respawn, slog through the level again, make it a room farther and then repeat with the same lack of resources. I get that is part of the point of the game but I might have to start over at the lower difficulty to minimize frustrations because I do really like the game.

I did have a survivor last almost two hours but I lost him in that swampy section right before the Tower where the zombies can wade through the water much faster than I could. And then an inexplicable exploding zombie got my next character right before I made it back to him. Seems sniper lady doesn't stick around for your next character.

You can use the CCtv cameras in the safe house to search for any weapons you've lost. It wont tell you the exact location, but it'll let you know that. It's a good idea to search other areas for resources before you continue to travel through the main missions.

How about when you restart with a new character and he says that the zombies are coming, are you supposed to set up something outside or just fight off the zombies? Cause then as a new character I have no guns.

This...I dont know what the hell to do when you start with a new survivor xD

You can use the CCtv cameras in the safe house to search for any weapons you've lost. It wont tell you the exact location, but it'll let you know that. It's a good idea to search other areas for resources before you continue to travel through the main missions.

Ah, good idea. I hadn't gone back to any areas unless the mission marker was there. Will do a sweep of some areas to try and beef up my stash.

Satchel

Banned
Really loving this game. Has me stressed to the max the way Dead Space 1 did.

Not sure I've got everything though. I'm at the gates of Buck Palace and I only have the pistol and carbine. Am I missing stuff?

Also, with the code to the door In the shopping district, do I figure it ut there, or get the code later and come back?

Just finished the game.
I died at the end when I had to escape to the tower, there were so many zombies around me and I just died because I didn't have any bullets.

kinggroin

Banned
So I got this for Christmas, and I'm up to Dee's Flats I think it is. Been enjoying it, but I'm slightly disappointed due to it not being as scary as I thought it would be. I think it's the atmosphere, I don't really feel helpless or at the mercies of the environment like I did with Condemned. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, and the gameplay is solid, I just thought it was going to be a little scarier. Does it get more atmospheric/scary as I get deeper into the game?

The school

After that? Nah. I think the end game can get very tense due to difficulty and whats on the line, but not full on scary.

Edit: I like (and chuckled at) the end game twist.

Air

Banned
Due to some stupid decisions I had a marathon of dying. Is there a way I can find all of my weapons again? I read that they would be in their same spots as when I found them. Is that true? Thanks. That got me so frustrated that I might just put the game down for good.

Finished it this morning, really enjoyed it. One of the better horror games this generation, really got you thinking at times about how to proceed and what equipment to use. Look forward to see what they offer next.

Due to some stupid decisions I had a marathon of dying. Is there a way I can find all of my weapons again? I read that they would be in their same spots as when I found them. Is that true? Thanks. That got me so frustrated that I might just put the game down for good.

Use the CCTV cameras.

hokahey

Bought it today. Put a couple hours in. Really enjoying it. I can't understand the bad reviews. It's an easy 7-8 based on my experience today so far, and that's a pretty damn good game. Anything higher better be near perfection.

haikira

Ok. I'm having some trouble and think i've maybe encountered a game ending glitch. If someone can help, i'd be very grateful.

I'm currently in the end game. I've
taken the USB pen with the formula and on the way out of the palace, i died. I fast traveled back in, looted myself and died a second time. Now i can no longer fast travel anywhere. After resetting the console, nothing changed. So i made the long journey back to the palace, rather than using fast travel. But it puts me on the other side and the way through the doctors lab is barred. I've spent an awfully long time looking around and honestly can't figure a way back to my body.

I've had two game breaking bugs before this, that caused me to reset and lose about 20-30 minutes of gameplay. One scripting bug for a section you've to fight off zombies. I imagine one fell through the world or something. but the game just got stuck on that objective. The second, i got stuck in a table while looting a body and could do nothing, except reset the game.

I've been really enjoying the game though and if i can fix my current problem, i'll be over the moon. but this is a game, that really could have done with a little extra TLC i think.

Satchel

Banned
FUCK. The game has glitches on me. I go to leave the royal bunker to exit to brick lane flats, and I keep just entering the bunker again.

FUCK!

Is anyone here playing this as a digital download in preference to the disc? I have the disc and have just completed my first playthrough and love it. I am considering treating myself to the download to always have it available irrespective of what disc I have in the Wii U but am wondering how the download version performs. Is the loading quicker? Any feedback would be appreciated :).

N.B. I asked this earlier in the Nintendo downloads thread but just remembered there would be this thread in community so please forgive the spam.

haikira

I'm becoming less optimistic, that i'll find a way around my game ending glitch. Looking around online, I've found reports of the same problem and with zero solutions. Best of all, there's been no official word whatsoever, on if a patch is coming.

It was a great game, while it lasted. Shame about all the game crippling glitches and my inability to experience the last 30 minutes, without starting all over again. Apart from that, i thought it was a fantastic game and i hope there's a sequel, albeit one that works correctly.

I can't in good conscience, put this in my top ten list, on the 2012 GOTY Neogaf thread. Without these problems though, it definitely would have made my list.

Satchel

Banned
I tried deleting the update data to see if it fixes the problem, but now when I try to play it, it can't connect to,the server to download the update.

Fuck.

Best survival horror game ever made. Can't tell you how many times I've entered a dark room, put my controller down and said "fuck this shit". This game scares me.

HeySeuss

I really love this game, but god damn is it rage inducing when you die before getting back to your previous zombie self and lose all that loot.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think I'm getting closer to the end, last thing I did was
get knocked out and play in some game to get my bag back. Was that the arena part people talk about or is that still later? I thought it was a lot of fun.

I haven't died before getting to a survivor yet, so I have a ton of weapons that I don't really need.

HeySeuss

Played the multiplayer version of the game. It's surprisingly fun. I don't really care for capture the flag but the survival game is pretty cool. Played it with my kids and my daughter got the high score with 194 kills. Meanwhile I struggle to get 30 on a regular basis.

Top Bottom