• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Satchel

Banned
Fucking hell.

I'm stuck again the exact same spot. How? If it was a glitch, I'm surprised it's appeared in the same spot with a fresh save and the update data deleted and re-downloaded.

I'm trying to get the stadium contagion back to the doc, and after going down the chute in the kitchen, I go to go through the door to get to what I think is the Palace Underground, but it just sends me back where I was.

What the fuck. Am I not doing something earlier in the game? Or is it actually glitching in the same sport twice?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
So I finished my first playthrough. ~20 hours of heart pounding, nail biting PROPER survival horror. I really enjoyed myself. With perhaps one major caveat: I think I
failed! I died on the roof of the Tower of London post credits sequence waiting for the chopper. Seems like there's no way to reload. Do I really have to start over from the beginning to try for the legit ending?!
Am I screwed? I sort of prided myself on not looking anything up while playing through but if this is their idea of a clever twist fuck this game so hard!

Anteo

So I finished my first playthrough. ~20 hours of heart pounding, nail biting PROPER survival horror. I really enjoyed myself. With perhaps one major caveat: I think I
failed! I died on the roof of the Tower of London post credits sequence waiting for the chopper. Seems like there's no way to reload. Do I really have to start over from the beginning to try for the legit ending?!
Am I screwed? I sort of prided myself on not looking anything up while playing through but if this is their idea of a clever twist fuck this game so hard!

From reading this thread, yes, your game is done and so is your survivor, your story is over. If you wish you can try to survive until the chopper arrives in a new game. Or you can go to that one mode and try to get there, if you can.

HeySeuss

Man I don't think I've had this much enjoyment out of a game since RE4. The atmosphere, the tension, and everything else is just perfect and I'm not wanting it to end.

Can somebody tell me how much longer I have until the end? I'm
working through the catacombs to save the girl at the church

TheBear

This fucking game. I think it may be my GOTY. Survival Horror as it's finest.

A couple of questions:

There's no newgame+?
Is survivor mode the same game but you just can't respawn?
I died 12 times, got the ending where you see the prepper is next to the safe house and has lots of cameras and shit. I then survived the tower of london escape. I've heard of other endings how do you get them?

Felt the ending was a bit abrupt, but fuck man, this is the zombie game I have waited for. A horde like mode where you protect the safehouse would've also been sweet, but I am glad I got a WiiU just to play this game.

Sadist

Got this with my Wii U two days ago and man, I'm pretty impressed by it. My first survivor was toast after one hour and I'm playing with my third now. I'm a big pussy though.

I got to the room where you find the rifle and inmediately returned to the safehouse lol. Can't wait (or can I?) to see what's waiting for me at Buckingham Palace

HeySeuss

I was a little disappointed about the ending. I got the same ending with 41 deaths as the guy a couple posts up. Unfortunately I did not survive the
chopper evac. I was fighting zombies instead of running. What was the ending like for surviving it?

And you can't retry it either. You get one chance. Wish I would've known that.

Gambit

Demo is now on the eu eshop..

^Not in Germany, it seems. I tried last night (after 11) and found nothing. Then I checked online and a couple people are reporting it as missing from the German store. AARGH!!!!!!!

I will try again tonight, though. Just to make sure.

If not, I might change my country setting and create a UK Nin-ID.

Coolwhip

Banned
I tried the demo, nice atmosphere. After the first zombi jumped out of the closet I realized I'm too big of a pussy for these games :D

But more importantly, as mainly a pc gamer how do people play twin stick fps games, damn It's so awful to play like that, I'm sure you can get used to it, but yikes.

I tried the demo, nice atmosphere. After the first zombi jumped out of the closet I realized I'm too big of a pussy for these games :D

But more importantly, as mainly a pc gamer how do people play twin stick fps games, damn It's so awful to play like that, I'm sure you can get used to it, but yikes.

I realized the same after the same incident. Funny thing is, I used to LOVE these type of games back in the day, but now I just can't stomach it as much.

I'll continue playing the demo, so maybe I'll get used to the tension.

olimpia84

I finally finished this game. According to the activity log, I put 18 hours into it.

This is easily the most 'effective' survival horror game out there. Not the best (REmake still is top of my list) but the most effective in the sense that it nails the genre with the constant tension and fear of dying/losing all your equipment. In fact, this game is so effective at being a survival horror game that I'm not planning to ever go back to it. The level of stress and tension that this game put me through is unmatched and for the most part, it was a really uncomfortable experience playing through this game, yet, I kept going back for more like it was some kind of drug. Unfortunately I got the bad ending but nevertheless I felt satisfied that I reached the end. Overall, this was a great game despite some flaws and it's a must have for any survival horror fan out there.

btw, I haven't tried the multiplayer mode but from what I understand it's local multi only so I won't even bother.

evangd007

I don't mind it for ZombiU because of its slow pace; I classify it as more of an adventure game than an FPS. I'd never play any competitive or twitch FPS on twin sticks.

daakusedo

It's been a long time since I played a survival horror, probably siren if not for re revelations.
So I didn't even think of being scared when I launched the demo, I was more into finally seeing if it's any good. But that feel that I didn't even think of got me quickly once in the game and I end up playing 1h20 to finish it. I was really surprised how it was kinda hard to stand in the beginning and some later parts of the demo when I didn't know what was coming at all.
I kind of hated and laughed at the fact that I saw that gaz cylinder on the zombie in the kitchen but refexes and thoughts getting all lost by the encounter, I just hit on it...
The last batch of zombies totally got me too, blocked between desks and two helmet infected.

Woffls

Uhhh I think I'm in trouble. There's a bit in East London (the residential bit) where you climb over a fence and the only way back out (that I can find) is a door round the corner. I've been stuck loading this door for like 15 minutes, and I had a problem loading a door earlier as well but I gave up on that.

Do I need to exit the game and lose all my stuff now?

Been playing the demo, and this game is just too much.

I found myself stuck in a pitch-black area, just darkness everywhere, and I didn't know wtf to do because my scanner blanked out (static). I had tried to feel around the area when my greatest fear was realized and I was being viciously attacked by a zombie in this pitch-black area with no way to illuminate the area or escape, so I eventually died.

I'm not entirely sure I will buy this game. I realized playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent that I no longer have the stomach for this genre, despite the quality of ZombiU being up there.

olimpia84

I found myself stuck in a pitch-black area, just darkness everywhere, and I didn't know wtf to do because my scanner blanked out (static). I had tried to feel around the area when my greatest fear was realized and I was being viciously attacked by a zombie in this pitch-black area with no way to illuminate the area or escape, so I eventually died.

I'm not entirely sure I will buy this game. I realized playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent that I no longer have the stomach for this genre, despite the quality of ZombiU being up there.

Were you using the flashlight? Maybe you were but keep in mind that it eventually runs out of battery.

Understandable but bear in mind that that particular section is several hours into the game. If you were to play the game normally i.e. right from the beginning you would be far more acclimatised to the controls and the game's internal logic so that particular section in the demo might be tricky but not as overwhelming as you clearly found it.

You have up to 30 plays of the demo available to you so there's plenty of opportunity for you to try it again and see if increased familiarity helps. Unless of course you decide that a game that endeavours to create such a tense atmosphere is no longer your cup of tea. I tend to say to people about ZombiU, 'enjoy the fear' :). I think with this game one really needs to in order to enjoy the game.

daakusedo

Sometimes, zombies got killed with two or three hit, I wonder if it has to do with the distance and hitting with the extremity of the bat. 20mn to finish the demo on a second play, when you're familiar with it, things got really smooth for a survival horror.
I feel there should have been at least a charge for the bat so you can get rid of enemies quicker instead of hitting, running upon the zombie while knocked and hitting again, it's really easy so when it never end with those helmet guys, it doesn't feel really clever.

Kangi

Tried the demo.

Nope. Can't handle this. Can't handle this at all.

Perhaps playing it wasn't a good idea given my innate fear of nurseries. And creepy music boxes. And things jumping out from behind locker/closet doors. And falling into a pitch black basement and why why whywhy.

jkanownik

This game has the biggest disconnect I've ever seen between my perceived quality of the game and other people's perception of it. I am having trouble understanding why people love it so much. There were three things that really bothered me about it when I was playing that I couldn't look past:

• The scripted events combined with the small environments killed the realism. It was jarring going from no zombies to tons of zombies in such small environments. It was a constant reminder that I was playing a game.
  • Forced switching to the gamepad for turrets. This seemed really dumb to me.
  • The "noise lines" coming off of the noisy zombie. I felt like I was playing a PS2/Gamecube era game at that point.

With the realism killed for me and the graphics being OK I was left with a mediocre action game that I couldn't justify spending anymore time on.

Do things like this not bother people or are you just looking past them because you like everything else so much?

This game has the biggest disconnect I've ever seen between my perceived quality of the game and other people's perception of it. I am having trouble understanding why people love it so much. There were three things that really bothered me about it when I was playing that I couldn't look past:

• The scripted events combined with the small environments killed the realism. It was jarring going from no zombies to tons of zombies in such small environments. It was a constant reminder that I was playing a game.
  • The "noise lines" coming off of the noisy zombie. I felt like I was playing a PS2/Gamecube era game at that point.

With the realism killed for me and the graphics being OK I was left with a mediocre action game that I couldn't justify spending anymore time on.

Do things like this not bother people or are you just looking past them because you like everything else so much?

Neither of the first two points bothered me and I don't understand what you mean by the third point. I really got into the game and would be reminded occasionally that I am actually playing a game e.g. an enforced cut scene where control of the player character is momentarily taken away but ultimately I know that I'm playing a game so I just get back into it.

EDIT: Oh, I think I know what you mean by the third point now. No, that didn't bother me. I was too busy thinking "This enemy needs to die and he needs to die NOW!" to be bothered by the visual cue. Besides, I know I'm playing a game so I accept all such things like that as just a normal part of the game world I am pretending to be in. It's when the game shoves a cut scene down my throat and I have to sit there twiddling my thumbs because control has been taken away from me that I have the problem you had with this game. This particular issue is a substantial irritation of mine in any game though.

Byshop

I'm with you, particularly on the scripted events. It's not even that I'm against scripted events in general, but it's more how they are handled that annoys me. I like it when game designers give the player enhanced tools for detecting enemies, but they ruin it when they don't follow their own rules.

I don't mind the fact that "possum" zombies laying around don't set of the motion detector until they start moving because if they did then they would never pose any threat. I confess that on occasion I've spent a few bullets taking the heads off of zombies on the ground before I drop into a room just to make sure I don't get swarmed since I have no idea which ones are dangerous and which ones are furniture. The fact that I have to weigh my ammo conservation against a -potential- threat and try to make the best decision to ensure my safety is the kind of thing I expect to have to deal with in a good quality survival horror game.

What I -don't- like is the rest of the times the motion tracker simply doesn't work. I walk through a doorway and suddenly five zombies show up that weren't there before but should have been in range if it weren't for the fact that they hadn't "spawned" until I crossed the threshold. Other times a zombie jumps from around a corner (clearly standing) that didn't show up on the tracker.

It reminds me of the old PS2 game "The Thing" based on the movie of the same name. They gave you a tester to check to see which of your companions were human and which ones would turn into monsters and try to eat your face. The problem was, with the exception of a few pre-scripted instances this test was basically useless because
in the end every human would eventually turn into a monster regardless of the test results because you couldn't bring human companions with you into a boss battle. You could literally test someone, have the test indicate they are human, then take two steps towards the boss battle room and have then instantly hulk out and try to murder you.
When a game doesn't follow its own rules then whatever gameplay innovation they add becomes pretty meaningless. The motion tracker in Zombiu is a great idea, but if I can't trust it then what's the point?

The other problem I have is the lack of an autosave. It's anachronistic and serves no real gameplay purpose. It doesn't actually make the game more difficult (if anything it makes it easier), but it does punish the player for having a life and not being able to dedicate hours and hours to marathon gaming sessions.

I'm very torn about this game. It's not a mediocre game. In some ways it's a pitch perfect survival horror game (resource conservation, oppressive and creepy tone, tactical combat), but in other ways it's marred by bad design decisions that hold it back (unreliable motion tracker, video game style spawning zombies and set pieces). I can see why the reactions are so polarized.

-Byshop

Finishing survivor mode feels so very good. It's crazy though, I managed it on my fifth (I think) attempt. It went something like this;

First attempt, survived about eight hours, died the first time through
the flooded basement beneath the tower of London
. Got a little too close to the exploding zombie, then got ambushed by two leaving that area.

Second attempt, I died to the horde you're advised to skip when you first leave the underground on your way to the supermarket. Lasted about 12 minutes.

Third attempt, died defending the safehouse after 20 minutes.

Fourth attempt, died around the back of the supermarket after about 15 minutes.

Fifth attempt, absolutely blitzed it, killed damn near every zombie I set my eyes on, finished with enough ammo to start a small revolution.

It was amazing how badly I got punished for being cocky and not playing smart.

I'm with you, particularly on the scripted events. It's not even that I'm against scripted events in general, but it's more how they are handled that annoys me. I like it when game designers give the player enhanced tools for detecting enemies, but they ruin it when they don't follow their own rules.

I don't mind the fact that "possum" zombies laying around don't set of the motion detector until they start moving because if they did then they would never pose any threat. I confess that on occasion I've spent a few bullets taking the heads off of zombies on the ground before I drop into a room just to make sure I don't get swarmed since I have no idea which ones are dangerous and which ones are furniture. The fact that I have to weigh my ammo conservation against a -potential- threat and try to make the best decision to ensure my safety is the kind of thing I expect to have to deal with in a good quality survival horror game.

What I -don't- like is the rest of the times the motion tracker simply doesn't work. I walk through a doorway and suddenly five zombies show up that weren't there before but should have been in range if it weren't for the fact that they hadn't "spawned" until I crossed the threshold. Other times a zombie jumps from around a corner (clearly standing) that didn't show up on the tracker.

It reminds me of the old PS2 game "The Thing" based on the movie of the same name. They gave you a tester to check to see which of your companions were human and which ones would turn into monsters and try to eat your face. The problem was, with the exception of a few pre-scripted instances this test was basically useless because
in the end every human would eventually turn into a monster regardless of the test results because you couldn't bring human companions with you into a boss battle. You could literally test someone, have the test indicate they are human, then take two steps towards the boss battle room and have then instantly hulk out and try to murder you.
When a game doesn't follow its own rules then whatever gameplay innovation they add becomes pretty meaningless. The motion tracker in Zombiu is a great idea, but if I can't trust it then what's the point?

The other problem I have is the lack of an autosave. It's anachronistic and serves no real gameplay purpose. It doesn't actually make the game more difficult (if anything it makes it easier), but it does punish the player for having a life and not being able to dedicate hours and hours to marathon gaming sessions.

I'm very torn about this game. It's not a mediocre game. In some ways it's a pitch perfect survival horror game (resource conservation, oppressive and creepy tone, tactical combat), but in other ways it's marred by bad design decisions that hold it back (unreliable motion tracker, video game style spawning zombies and set pieces). I can see why the reactions are so polarized.

-Byshop

The scanner only detects infected survivors if they are moving. If they are standing still it will not detect them. I like how they've done it so you can't take ANYTHING for granted and no matter what you ALWAYS have to be on the highest alert because around every corner could be a zombie, or group of zombie's, waiting to attack.

That said, there are some things that need fixed and there are times where it seems rushed. I can only imagine what a properly funded sequel with a full Development schedule could be. There are so many great idea's in the game that I will be totally disappointed if we don't see a sequel with a proper budget and development time. It has it's flaws, but IMO it's by far the best survivor horror entry in a long time.

Byshop

The scanner only detects infected survivors if they are moving. If they are standing still it will not detect them. I like how they've done it so you can't take ANYTHING for granted and no matter what you ALWAYS have to be on the highest alert because around every corner could be a zombie, or group of zombie's, waiting to attack.

That said, there are some things that need fixed and there are times where it seems rushed. I can only imagine what a properly funded sequel with a full Development schedule could be. There are so many great idea's in the game that I will be totally disappointed if we don't see a sequel with a proper budget and development time. It has it's flaws, but IMO it's by far the best survivor horror entry in a long time.

Even by that rule, it's not consistent. Like I said, I'm fine with prone zombies not showing up until they "animate" but I've been jumped by standing zombies when I walked around a corner because that zombie didn't "exist" until I walked into the room. I've seen this happen with entire rooms full of zombies. They can be groups in other rooms that haven't detected me yet, but they'll still just magically appear once I walk through the correct doorway.

-Byshop

-Byshop

The scanner always works... but it only detects movements of living creatures on the same level as yourself. If a zombie is standing on a container just above you or on a staircase further down, they aren't detected. There isn't a single magically spawning zombie in the game as far as I know. In a few areas they come crawling through cracks in the wall or they jump down from a hole in the top floor, but so what?
It would be boring if everything could be scanned/spotted as soon as you enter a room. :)

Byshop

The scanner always works... but it only detects movements of living creatures on the same level as yourself. If a zombie is standing on a container just above you or on a staircase further down, they aren't detected. There isn't a single magically spawning zombie in the game as far as I know. In a few areas they come crawling through cracks in the wall or they jump down from a hole in the top floor, but so what?
It would be boring if everything could be scanned/spotted as soon as you enter a room. :)

No, it flat out cheats sometimes.

When I was going for
the Raven's base, after leaving the elevators an entire room of zombies suddenly appeared to my left (the room full of "raver" zombies). They absolutely would have been in range prior to my entering the first room but they didn't appear until after i crossed the door threshold.

It also happened in
the palace. Once you get to the top floor and you cross the burning room on the catwalks, the game drops the platform and forces you to move forward. In the next room are three zombies, then you turn right and right again and there is a room with another 4 or 5 zombies in it (or a crawlspace you can use to avoid them between the rooms). The three zombies in the first room show up immediately, but the 4 or 5 other zombies don't appear until you cross the threshold into the room with the first 3 zombies, even though they are just on the other side of the wall. Once they spawned, you can see them from the first room just fine but not until you cross that doorway.

These were the two most glaring examples I could think of, but there are more as I played through the game. When stuff like this happens it reminds me that I'm playing a video game and breaks immersion.

-Byshop

Sadist

Loving the game, but I don't know what to do now

After getting the C4, you'll face exploding zombies? Wel fuck. So I skedaddled out of the way, following the marker (with Shondra shooting zombies) but is there any safe way to reach this? I have to place the C4 I think in that tiny area (where the marker is) but way to many zombies followed me. I died because they clawed me and with the second survicor I died at the hands of my survivor zombie. Any tips?

Btw, have I lost my gun forever now? (The first rifle you receive in the game) En what about the syringe?

Btw, have I lost my gun forever now? (The first rifle you receive in the game) En what about the syringe?

If you look at the monitors in the Safe House, it will show you all the CCTV junction boxes you have scanned and those will alert you to items/weapons/ammo in previously visited areas. So you can look at those and see where weapons you may have lost have respawned. Those areas will have some zombies in them but generally nothing too bad. You will have to revisit certain areas when you have to find
the 7 Dee letters
so that is a good way to build your arsenal back up.

I was in a similar situation to where you find yourself,
stuck in that swamped area with little to no firepower, sniper lady gone, and a few zombies to take care of. My approach was to try to only get one zombie keyed in on me and to lead it backwards to dry land, take care of that one, and then repeat until they were gone. Sucks that they can move much faster than you through the sludge and that exploding zombie is really poorly placed.

The syringe is for stabbing zombies that have grabbed you. It is one-use only until you find specific zombies (they will appear green when you scan them) to draw more fluid from to use again.

I never got a chance to use the syringe. Is it automatic?

No, when a zombie grabs you (right before it would normally bite and kill you) a prompt comes up to quickly hit ZR to stab the syringe into it's neck. Not sure how big a window you have to hit ZR but it does feel like it gives you a few extra seconds you wouldn't have otherwise.

Loving the game, but I don't know what to do now

After getting the C4, you'll face exploding zombies? Wel fuck. So I skedaddled out of the way, following the marker (with Shondra shooting zombies) but is there any safe way to reach this? I have to place the C4 I think in that tiny area (where the marker is) but way to many zombies followed me. I died because they clawed me and with the second survicor I died at the hands of my survivor zombie. Any tips?

If you are asking about losing the syringe, no, it is always part of your load out once obtained, irrespective of how many survivors you lose.

In addition to the tactic given above which is my recommended tactic too I would advise the following.
There is a gas cylinder that will explode if you shoot it on the little 'island' of dry land which can be useful to dispose of a few zombies in one go if you're fortunate enough to get them on there or can aim a flare :).

Also, there is a 'back door' route to your exit point [to the right side of the area] which would mean you can avoid them all following you to the area where you have to use the C4 to clear your path. However, there is a zombie in the sludge hanging around [guarding the path to the exit point] that you need to clear first and a couple of them waiting for you in the area around the side tunnel that will take you to your exit point area.

Frankly, my best advice is to use all these tactics to methodically clear out the area completely [including activating the CCTV box to enable your map] before clearing your path to the next area with the C4. It's actually one of the easier parts of the game once you clear it all out so it's worth the effort.

Raoh

Did Ubisoft and Nintendo miss an opportunity to promote a ZombiU/Wii U Gamepad feature?

Now The Walking Dead Has An Official 'Zombie Yourself' App

....... why not find out how you'd look as a walker? Now with the Dead Yourself App for iPhone and Facebook, you can do just that. Here's how it works...

Take a photo of yourself with the app or upload a photo to DeadYourself.com
Add zombified eyes, mouths, and props from The Walking Dead
Share your new portrait on Facebook and Twitter
Vote for your favorites in the Walker photo gallery.

Come back every week following all-new episodes of The Walking Dead to see what new eyes, mouths or props have been added and zombify yourself all over again.
Ready? Your undead doppelganger awaits at DeadYourself.com.

C2172586-D09B-43DD-B0BE-5329218B90EC.jpg
photo_1357866342-503555760.jpg

photo_1358209196-100002685016406.jpg
D4AB7197-D943-412C-8408-697EE90432F3.jpg

sakipon

I've been enjoying the game up until now. Currently feeling very disappointed though. Yeah, I'm at the
survival arena
. The atmosphere is pretty much ruined. Great for those who wished that side of the game would be more pronounced but I didn't sign up for this. Not sure if I'll go back to it.

I've been enjoying the game up until now. Currently feeling very disappointed though. Yeah, I'm at the
survival arena
. The atmosphere is pretty much ruined. Great for those who wished that side of the game would be more pronounced but I didn't sign up for this. Not sure if I'll go back to it.

At least it's impossible to ever lose your inventory there. They should have let you
kill the hosts yourself
, then it would have almost been worth it. But still, even though it's out of place, it really isn't that long in the end.

Vibed

Just got this game (along with Scribblenauts and Sonic Racing) and I'm eager to try it out soon. It will be my first dive into any kind of horror genre, I'm typically too big a wuss for this stuff, but hopefully I can conquer my fears. I can usually handle horrific things in non-horror games (like Demon's Souls) so I'll see how I do. Didn't try the demo though like I probably should have.

Ah, good idea. I hadn't gone back to any areas unless the mission marker was there. Will do a sweep of some areas to try and beef up my stash.

I always make a run or two before a new mission to make sure I have all my favorite items stocked up. I also make sure to have a few extra's in the Safe House to make sure if I do die, I have enough items to make it back without any problems.

Not sure what strategy you use, but Flare's and Flare/Molatov's are life saver's. If you are frequently taking damage a health booster can be used instantly by clicking it in your "quick access" items (even if you are taking damage).

Last, try to know your surroundings. When possible try to lure the Zombie's out one at a time and keep a good fallback place in the back of your mind. If you get in trouble you can usually fall back and take them out one by one.

survival arena

Admittedly, I didn't care for this section of the game either while on my play through. I had only used like 6-7 survivor's up to this point
(most at the beginning learning the control's and how to play) and this area' added 4-5 survivor's to my count :(....Looking back after passing it, and it's no so bad and it could fit into the apocalyptic scenario (though they should have you kill those running it and take back your BOB since the people running it would just keep it regardless).

Edit:

Fucking hell.

I'm stuck again the exact same spot. How? If it was a glitch, I'm surprised it's appeared in the same spot with a fresh save and the update data deleted and re-downloaded.

I'm trying to get the stadium contagion back to the doc, and after going down the chute in the kitchen, I go to go through the door to get to what I think is the Palace Underground, but it just sends me back where I was.

What the fuck. Am I not doing something earlier in the game? Or is it actually glitching in the same sport twice?

I remember the area your speaking about. I will say I got confused in this area as it seems to put you in a weird place. It may not be related to what your having occur but have you followed both paths out? I know I went in circles a couple of times at this point thinking I was missing my path or something.

GulAtiCa

This was my favorite launch game for the Wii U. already got 60 hours of the game. Haven't played in a few weeks, but currently on Survival mode with just beating the Arena. Odd thing happened though, I somehow lost all my weapons on me when I got my bob back from the evil people. Oh well, time to hunt some weapons.

Wow, just started playing this about 2 hours ago and I freakin love this game!

Atmosphere is tense as HELL and the gamepad use is awesome. Feels so fresh, and reminds me a lot of the first days of the 360 launch when I got Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Only complaint so far is the movement and aiming controls feel...floaty. I'm not able to be real precise just yet. I might have to get used to the gamepad more.

Can't wait to dig deeper.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I bought this today. A couple of comments.

It's as hard as fuck. Have been infected twice already. Damn.

Graphics are a mixed bag. Sometimes they almost look real. Other time they look awful.

I'm loving and dreading the atmosphere. I'm playing on a 120inch projector screen with 5.1 audio and it's pretty tense. It's strange to have a game where you see 3 or 4 enemies and you decided that's it's better to somehow get around them rather then go in guns blazing. A refreshingly realistic game.

Not keen on the pad usage. I'd sooner keep my eyes on the screen and do the menu items from there. In a game so realistic. It feels odd having this strange added game mechanic.

Not keen on the pad usage. I'd sooner keep my eyes on the screen and do the menu items from there. In a game so realistic. It feels odd having this strange added game mechanic.

This adds to the realism. You are operating just like your character onscreen when you have to look down to the pad (your backpack) to find/arrange/switch supplies and frequently check back on the main screen to make sure the coast is still clear. I love this mechanic and the way it increases the tension so just overlaying the menu on the main screen would reduce the impact of having to go into your backpack.

Just got a WiiU and played the demo to this, it really is great and I really want to play buuuut.....I just cant, its too damn scary, I just cant do it, the atmosphere, the sounds, your flashlight dying, ugh I cant.

Giant Bomb: The Game That Should Have Been Terrible (Patrick Klepek)

When the box for ZombiU showed up on my desk, I wasn’t sure what to think. All I’d heard about was a game vaguely influenced by Dark Souls.
That doesn’t seem to line up with what you expect from a launch game, and while I’m much happier with what ZombiU became, didn’t it make more sense to make a more mainstream experience?

“We figured if we worried about that and made decisions accordingly, we would have delivered a lukewarm experience,” said Brunier. “And we really did not want to do that. We want people to remember ZombiU as a game that lived up to its promise as a true survival horror game.”

“Actually, being so harsh with the player was not a goal in itself,” said story design director Gabrielle Shrager. “We were driven by our wish to deliver a realistic experience. Just for one moment, picture yourself, I mean really try to picture yourself in the middle of a zombie outbreak. Would you feel empowered? This powerlessness makes every zombie encounter epic, and the reward of surpassing oneself all the more satisfying.”

Shrager pointed to another moment where this was true, as well: ZombiU’s very first sequence. When the game opens, there’s a brief cutscene where players encounter The Prepper. In most games, you're given control in a safe, quiet moment. Nope! Suddenly, you’re thrust into this screwed up world, and dozens of zombies are chasing you.

“We wanted unprepared people to die so they’d understand what the game is about,” he said. “ [...] We are quite comfortable with killing your survivors in the game, because it is faithful to the zombie genre where most of the main characters die, and significant for the experience. Plus, you don’t ever see a game over screen. The story picks up with a newbie survivor where your last character left off...sort of like a deadly relay race.”

“A deadly relay race” is one hell of an accurate way to describe ZombiU.
Having players performing ambitious corpse runs upon greeting death came up early in the development process, the team told me, and quickly became a central pillar the rest of the game.

All of these concepts mold a game I suspect many people might not finish. It would be no great surprise to me if someone bought ZombiU on launch day, and quickly shut it off. The developers aren’t losing sleep over this idea.

“The idea of players not finishing the game is not upsetting to us,” said Shrager. “The idea of players not being scared witless and not having a memorable experience does.“

For the moment, Ubisoft isn’t talking about any downloadable content for ZombiU, and it wouldn’t surprise me if we never saw any. The developers do have the ability to spawn zombie hordes, craft new events, and deploy new challenges, though, and it sounds like that may be coming.

If I get a Wii U, I'm getting this and Rayman Legends no doubt.

Nilaul

Em what is this? Uplay unlockables
7VaJjqR.png

Edit:

Last of them = unlockable multiplier mode
God Save the Queen = seems to be an video with concept art
Punk Is not Dead = Cricket bat costumization, choose between punk is not dead, union jack, pin up paddle skins.

I'll be honest, my first survivor did die at the very beginning when you are thrown into the middle of it. Made it to the ladder but not up the ladder. I knew I was in for something special right then.

All of those quotes are great to read, the developers really focused on making a tremendous experience, not just ticking off boxes to cast the widest net. I hope this philosophy stays intact if a sequel or spiritual successor is in their plans.

xandaca

Been playing through this for the past few days, it's severely flawed in many ways but the core experience is so compelling that the game remains engaging. A shame it reportedly hasn't sold particularly well (rumours say Ubisoft aren't even going to patch the game), as I'd love a sequel with a bigger budget, set in a big open world - or at least, much larger and less linear individual areas - with more side-missions and factions to encounter. Apart from the insanely extensive re-use of architecture, especially in the sewers, I even like the way the game looks: technically it's about what you'd expect from a low budget game, but the bleached. foggy art style conjures up a wonderfully eerie vibe. I think I'm nearly at the end of the game, but will probably give it a go on Survival mode afterwards, despite the fact my number of respawns has been humiliatingly extensive... on normal mode.

Top Bottom