• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zynga rips off iPhone GOTY Tiny Tower

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bravo, Zynga!

QcYVY.jpg

And the kicker? Zynga tried to acquire Nimblebit!

https://twitter.com/#!/eeen/status/161966746453024769

"They did go the honest route and try to acquire us first."

https://twitter.com/#!/eeen/status/161996358973276162

"If you peek inside the app binary the project is named Towerville and inhabitants are named zitizens."

Wow.
Obviously some of the systems in TinyTower aren't original, but that's a horrible wholesale copy.

Dirty as fuck.

>_>. Does it have the Facebook-esc status's by the residents?

wow, there has to be some sort of copyright infringement there. I salute Numblebit for not dragging lawyers into this and just moving forward and pointing it out. But apple should really pull this... This is a joke

Let's see if Zynga also copy the idea of making the bucks a regular reward, instead of trying to rape us with necessary bucks that you only can get with real money.

I bet no.

Are there people who are surprised about this? This is all (attempted acquisition included) business as usually for Zynga.

Bullying? Entirely.
Corporate? Through and through.
Scummy? In amounts that do this ∞ symbol injustice.

Welcome to how Zynga does business! Brought to you by masses of uninformed uninterested consumers who are more than happy to "play" busy-work games until the end of time.

UGH.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
That is way worse than I thought it was going to be. They seriously must of just had their iPhones on and built it while looking at it.

Haunted

All I see is that they are both shit, crash grab, exploitative, non-entertaining games
Well yeah, but one is a clear ripoff of the other on top of all that.

Zynga, Gameloft and all the other companies like them are the vilest fucking thing about our industry.

Slayven

Shit like this is why IOS gaming will crash. Use to take months to ripoff a game, now you can do it in an afternoon and undercut the original.

Haunted

It's funny, I just read this quote from one of the developers behind Match 3 game Triple Town talking about this topic when they brought their game from the web to phone.

If you love Triple Town, please download it (it is free) and rate it. We are in a bit of a David and Goliath situation here since a very large and nasty company copied Triple Town on mobile right at the end of December. We're a small team and we work hard, but moving to the phone took a few precious months. I don't quite know how to express the feeling of bleeding our lives out trying to finish the game...all while watching a soulless shark lavishly spend VC cash to ride up the chart. Using my own design. That was like a punch in the gut. Betrayal, violation and powerlessness all wrapped up into one unpleasant emotion. This has easily been one of the most emotionally difficult releases I've ever done.

To add insult to injury, the night we got ready to upload the Android version we made an awkward discovery: There was already a game called Triple Town being sold by a certain Mr. WangYang. In fact, it was Triple Town. The art was ripped from the web version. The logo was the same. Check out that screenshot...captured for posterity. I want to send big thank you to Google. Even though their offices had closed for the night, they took down the fake immediately. That was deeply appreciated.
Just shitty practice that there's so little that can be done about ripoffs in this industry.

iPhone GOTY was a Sim Tower rip off? That's sad.
The Superbrothers game was the mobile gaming GAF GOTY 2011. The only award that counts. :p

Top Bottom