• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zynga rips off iPhone GOTY Tiny Tower

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So are these ripoffs not even out yet? I'm actually very interested in trying the Zynga one, and the Lil Dungeon might be interesting. But can't find either of em on the store.

It's bad enough that Zynga is basically making all their money by being liars and thiefs. However to have the gall to sue other sompanies for stealing their ideas whilst doing stuff like this? Makes me fucking sick. The sooner they collapse the better. It will be interesting to see how long they can last without having pretty much any of their own ideas.

It should be noted that Spry Fox was approached by 6waves with an offer to publish the game on other platforms. They agreed, and let 6waves have access to the design docs and source for Triple Town. Fast forward a few months, 6waves cuts off communication and releases Yeti Town.

Real classy, there.

Damn that's pathetic. Surely there has to be grounds for legal action in this situation.

Atomski

This stuff just reminds me how it seems like tons of iOS games are just clones (mostly old flash games).. and others being clones of clones. Just depressing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
8KNcm.jpg

Giard

Reading "iPhone GOTY Tiny Tower" makes me nauseous.

But ripping it off, and reviewing your own game? Talk about a lack of class.

mclem

I was asked to 5-star the iOS game I worked on when it shipped. At the time I didn't own a compatible device. I assume this is common practice.

I recall having been invited to vote for a game I worked on in an awards ceremony. I believe it was argued as "Everyone does it, so if you *don't* do it, we're not being competitive".

It's so *easy* to not have any integrity if you assume that no-one else does either.

I recall having been invited to vote for a game I worked on in an awards ceremony. I believe it was argued as "Everyone does it, so if you *don't* do it, we're not being competitive".

It's so *easy* to not have any integrity if you assume that no-one else does either.

I don't know that I have a big problem with it or that it represents an erosion of integrity unless the employees are misrepresenting themselves (why make a game you can't stand behind?) or are anonymously trying to discredit those with a dissenting opinion.

That Dream Heighs is awful.

Is like Tiny Tower but:

- You won't get bucks EVER. So you'll need to use real cash to upgrade elevators.
- You need to unlock the stocking products using hearts (that you get visiting friends once a day).

The only good thing is that people on elevator only go to residential floors. But after a few floors, I already lost any incentive to continue playing.

That Dream Heighs is awful.

Is like Tiny Tower but:

- You won't get bucks EVER. So you'll need to use real cash to upgrade elevators.
- You need to unlock the stocking products using hearts (that you get visiting friends once a day).

The only good thing is that people on elevator only go to residential floors. But after a few floors, I already lost any incentive to continue playing.

I've played Tiny Tower (on Android) for about 2 months, and I almost have the 499 bux elevator.

abasm

Tiny Tower is still pretty Skinner-Box-like in terms of its design, but it isn't outright malicious in the same way Zynga games are. It leaves the option of paying for a speed boost on the table, but doesn't beat you over the head with it. Playing the game without spending a cent never feels wrong.

Black-Box

isnt everything they do just a copy from something else, it feels like all there games are the same thing with different skins

nyong

Banned
It's crazy how many rip-offs get sold on the iTunes Store. I'm guilty of supporting Gameloft myself, but at least their titles have obvious effort that goes into them by talented devs. Even if it's plainly obvious from the look, feel, and title which audience they're targeting...

Zynga is just crap. Ripping off an indie dev after they refuse to be sold is pretty damn low too.

ProXimity

Banned
Wow...

This is like... deplorable. What a pathetic company. This is why the mobile and tablet gaming needs to develop so it can attract better developers who don't pull this crap.

Top Bottom