• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former San Francisco Police Officer Jason Lai racist messages emerge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai101

Banned
Hell their is a major company that makes bread and snacks called Bimbo in Mexico.

Not only Mexico thoug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grupo_Bimbo

Grupo Bimbo, S.A.B. de C.V., known as Bimbo, is a Mexican multinational bakery product manufacturing company headquartered in Mexico City, Mexico. It is the world's largest baking company[1] and operates the largest bakeries in the United States, Mexico, Canada and Spain, and has some of the widest distribution networks in Mexico and the United States. It was also the ninth largest company of Mexico by revenues in 2013.

Shit is so big it now operates the largest bakeries in all North America.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How else are we gonna get to sleep without that itis?

CHAPPELLE_02_0203_RIBS_640x360.jpg

Grifter

It's actually not a slur as I know it. Maybe it started as a slur, but I've heard more as a colloquial term to refer to black people in general. I live in NYC, so I can't account for how language may differ in application in other regions.

For instance, I've heard my mom use
黑鬼 = hak gwai = literal translation is [black] [ghost]
白鬼 = bak gwai = [white] [ghost] = white people
犹太鬼 = yao tai gwai = [jewish] [ghost] = Jewish people
西班牙鬼 = sai ban ah gwai = [spanish] [ghost] = Latinos

It's not isolated to black people. Basically just take an identity and add "ghost" to the end lol. I do think my mom is pretty racist though so maybe she's been using slurs all along and I just thought it was normal because she did it. (Cantonese dialect by the way)

For some reason people with brown skin (Middle East?) she refers to as "ah cha" but I have no idea how that is written or what it means. Probably racist?

That's used for Indians in the contexts I've seen (Indians on the street, Indian food spots, Dhalsim players, etc.), but it may now encompass all far-off brownskinners. Anyway, this post was handy for an NYC guy!

I have no idea. I thought about it myself when I was wondering why everything was attached to 'ghost', but in the end I guessed it might have to do with how my mom or whoever uses these terms sees 'race' in the sense that the looks are very different from themselves.

One thing that I definitely consider actually racist (?) was the term I hear used a lot for Japanese people, which translates directly to [Japan] [boy], the "boy" part being derogatory in the sense that they were looking down on Japanese as inferior. But it's been used so often I wonder if it's become more of a general reference to Japanese people rather than as a derogatory term.

With 'ghost' I can't tell if it's inferior or not, just that it is a distinction of 'other'.

Like someone else said, that's really the only descriptor I know for white and black people, but NYC Cantonese seems filled with slang that has evolved to normal terminology. I never thought "boy" was derogatory. That and "girl" are used for different Asian races - boy, girl, and the older terms for both.

Onemic

It's actually not a slur as I know it. Maybe it started as a slur, but I've heard more as a colloquial term to refer to black people in general. I live in NYC, so I can't account for how language may differ in application in other regions.

It's not isolated to black people. Basically just take an identity and add "ghost" to the end lol. I do think my mom is pretty racist though so maybe she's been using slurs all along and I just thought it was normal because she did it. (Cantonese dialect by the way)

For some reason people with brown skin (Middle East?) she refers to as "ah cha" but I have no idea how that is written or what it means. Probably racist?

Ah, thanks for the writeup

Think demon as opposed to ghost...the literal translation is ghost but that's the intent..

...well then, wouldnt that make it a slur regardless of context?

This reminds me of that "porch monkey" scene in Clerks. Maybe it is a racist term and you've just said it all along without knowing! When I was a kid growing up in Arizona, I once used the n-word because that's what the kids around me said, and I just thought it was a descriptive word. It wasn't until I got home and said it that my mother told me
not to say that word around my father, because he doesn't like it. Yes, my mother is extremely racist.

otapnam

some people say "haak yun"or "baak yun" or 黑人,白人 which is just black person and white person. kind of a less offensive way to just quickly identify in a sentence whom they are speaking about

Generally if there is a negative use there are other adjectives added or used in the sentence

Think demon as opposed to ghost...the literal translation is ghost but that's the intent..
So basically it'd be like saying "white devil"? That's pretty funny. As a white guy, seeing other groups being racist towards white people is so quaint. I know that that whole "racism = prejudice + power" definition makes a lot of other white people butthurt ("ALL LIVES MATTER!!!11!!1" or my personal favorite, "IF THEY CAN SAY IT WHY CAN'T WE SAY IT!!!!!1!1") but in the real world it's pretty accurate.
This reminds me of that "porch monkey" scene in Clerks. Maybe it is a racist term and you've just said it all along without knowing! When I was a kid growing up in Arizona, I once used the n-word because that's what the kids around me said, and I just thought it was a descriptive word. It wasn't until I got home and said it that my mother told me
not to say that word around my father, because he doesn't like it. Yes, my mother is extremely racist.
My parents never mentioned race around me at all as a child so like most millennials I was "colorblind". If it were not for this website I'd probably still be one of those people saying that BLM shouldn't block bridges or whatever.

Ivan 3414

A racist Asian?

lol ok

To be honest, he seems to be more racist than the usual Caucasian racist stereotype.

...Prejudice isn't exclusive to white people. It's equally unjustified for any race to hold prejudices against another soley on the basis of race.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Not to excuse this guy, but do the stories about all the various police forums (where supposedly one must have police credentials to even post) being filled to the brim with racist vitriol even come as close to the mainstream media as this story has?

dramatis

...well then, wouldnt that make it a slur regardless of context?
So basically it'd be like saying "white devil"? That's pretty funny. As a white guy, seeing other groups being racist towards white people is so quaint. I know that that whole "racism = prejudice + power" definition makes a lot of other white people butthurt ("ALL LIVES MATTER!!!11!!1") but in the real world it's pretty accurate.
There's a different word for demon in Chinese (mou 魔) and it's not used to describe other races, so no, the terms don't actually mean 'black demon' or 'white demon' or 'black devil' or 'white devil'.

Dabanton

I wonder if these fuckbois already hold certain thoughts when they join the police or if they are slowly turned that way?

小鬼 = small ghost = child

I guess that would be closer to "little shits" in English colloquialism.

A racist Asian?

lol ok

To be honest, he seems to be more racist than the usual Caucasian racist stereotype.

Is it really that surprising? Chinese Americans, many of whom are 1st, maybe 2nd, generation?

It's not even about level of political correctness. The conversation isn't even there to begin with. Not to mention being Asian in San Francisco is almost like being white everywhere else. You can afford to be insular, especially when you're speaking cantonese.

Onemic

There's a different word for demon in Chinese (mou 魔) and it's not used to describe other races, so no, the terms don't actually mean 'black demon' or 'white demon' or 'black devil' or 'white devil'.

Ok, gotcha.

I wonder if these fuckbois already hold certain thoughts when they join the police or if they are slowly turned that way?

My thought is that they were already that way or that they at least had some type of negative feelings that were fully realized once they joined the force. I mean, what's the reasoning for most people becoming police officers nowadays? I have a hard time believing that it's the whole 'serve and protect' line from decades past. At least when I was a kid in the 90s and 00's it seemed like the interest in being a police officer came from wanting to kick the shit out of the 'bad guys' because it was cool.

魔- Magic ("black magic"). It's an adjective.
鬼- Ghost/spirit demon- noun.

Yes魔鬼 is demon but 鬼 alone can also mean demon.

Seeing as we're having an impromptu Chinese languages discussion, can someone explain to me why 日 is "fuck" in mandarin?

Tubobutts

I don't speak the language so maybe its used different colloquially, but Google translates the ones for Black people and Jews as slurs.

dramatis

魔- Magic. It's an adjective.
鬼- Ghost/spirit demon- noun.

Yes魔鬼 is demon but 鬼 alone can also mean demon.
魔 is magic, but it's the default character used when combining to make words that mean 'demon'.

鬼 is ghost. By itself it is never anything other than ghost.

It's Chinese, not Japanese. 鬼 is only 'demon' in Japanese, never in Chinese.

Wait a god damn minute.

I speak Cantonese and live in SF - hak gwai isn't just the Chinese word for black people? I've literally never heard another term for this. Hak yun?

RS4-

All those gwai lo cops getting away with murdering hak gwai and saying bad things about them. Asians gonna butch about this one just like the NYC pig.

Fuck cops.

And possessing dmv info about the woman that filed rape charges. But of course, nothing will come from it.

Fuck cops.

魔 is magic, but it's the default character used when combining to make words that mean 'demon'.

鬼 is ghost. By itself it is never anything other than ghost.

It's Chinese, not Japanese. 鬼 is only 'demon' in Japanese, never in Chinese.

Just went through a couple of Chinese dictionaries- demon definitely is part of the definition...

Out of curiosity, what caused this investigation into their text messages to start?

The Article said:
The message on Lai's phone were discovered after he was accused of raping a woman while off-duty. Investigators said they couldn't find enough evidence to charge him with sexual assault, but he was charged with illegally accessing DMV records -- the alleged victim's -- for a non-official purpose.

Where is the OP's article from? Because it's not from the link. I thought it was really weird that a CBS affiliate would say things like, "...let alone an officer of the San Francisco Fucking Police Department." so I checked.

Lesath

Wait a god damn minute.

I speak Cantonese and live in SF - hak gwai isn't just the Chinese word for black people? I've literally never heard another term for this. Hak yun?

Yeah, the more appropriate term is "hak yun". Well, if you want to be all proper about it, I think you can use the equivalent of African-American: "fay luy yun".

Anyway, I've been doing my best to wean my relatives off the term. You can imagine it has stuck for as long as it did when you have an insular and racially homogeneous population speaking a language in a culture where elders are not frequently challenged.

People are racist. News at 6. But, seriously, for a city that's very diverse, it's very bad to see such xenophobic people in charge of actually protecting them.

Surprised I didn't see the police union in the story defending them, blaming the city and other minorities for those cops being racist.

Drahcir

TBH all the discussion over if the term is actually racist or not kinda detracts from the problem of him being racist and thinking it was okay to say these things anyway.

Even if the term isn't necessarily racist by itself, the rest of what he said, in context, is wrong.

Exactly. I mean perhaps it could be derogatory when viewed alongside the rest of the actual deplorable things he said. Personally, it's flimsy though. It's the "disgusting" and "barbarian" words he used that are way more damning.

Lamel

Banned
What a scumbag, seriously.

Also, why are people surprised at there being slurs for black people in other languages?

I'm pretty sure there are slurs for many different minorities in many different languages.

Nah, people pretty much use Gui/gwai as a catch-all for ghost/devil/demon/spirit/mischievous or evil creature. You have other terms if you want to get more specific but essentially the translation is essentially "white devil" or "black devil", etc. The connotation is not that these people are demons or monstrous, but more like "annoying white people who cause trouble" or "annoying black people".

There's your lesson in Chinese racism for the day.

Another fun fact: the phrase for Jewish in Chinese is "You tai", which literally translates to "feral animal". The phrase was introduced by Jesuit missionaries. Centuries ago, you had populations of Jewish traders in China, and when the government officials asked the Jesuits (who had ingratiated themselves with the Imperial bureaucracy) what to call them, they chose the characters for feral animal.

Edit: Removed. Not trying to offend. Jeez.

It was a silly joke not racism.

Not that I have thin skin or anything, but jokes like this shouldn't be acceptable. Reducing Asian people, ideas and culture to your fast food menu item marginalizes and trivializes them. Can't say how many times I have to just cringe when people make jokes about "pork fried rice" and "sweet and sour chicken" when referring to something Asian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom