• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasane

Holyland volume 1-3

Art aside, which I'm not liking much, and Yu's character/attitude, which is annoying, I like the potentiality in the story. Even some of the info the author likes to give about the various fighting styles and techniques are nice, though I wish he would shut up about it somewhat instead of breaking the action constantly to give me an explanation I'm not really asking for.
It's cool to know some theory, it's cool to have an explanation, but the constant info blurting breaks the immersion and the pace of a street fight in which I'm more interested in seeing the fight and how the character decide to act, rather than why a move works or doesn't.

I loved this one of my favorites, i wish you will too.

You should read the mangaka's next work; NONONONO.

It's so stupidly hilarious. You'll have no idea how the hell did he get so famous.

To be fair, Nononono is actually relatively well-researched for someone that knew absolutely nothing about ski jumping. The one thing that he messed up in terms of research had nothing to do with ski jumping.

Akito

Elfen Lied v2
inDwnNtaCqebN.jpg

ikQKdqfJyWiBU.jpg
Jesus Christ

Vito

Banned
To be fair, Nononono is actually relatively well-researched for someone that knew absolutely nothing about ski jumping. The one thing that he messed up in terms of research had nothing to do with ski jumping.

Hell, Nononono was kinda ok in a dumb sort of way until it... well y'all know what happened. I never touched Elfen Lied manga and the anime... somehow never felt like watching it since the "wrong sort of crowd" usually hyped it (aka teens liking "edgy" stuff").

Akito

Hell, Nononono was kinda ok in a dumb sort of way until it... well y'all know what happened. I never touched Elfen Lied manga and the anime... somehow never felt like watching it since the "wrong sort of crowd" usually hyped it (aka teens liking "edgy" stuff").
Even before that, I can remember it went wrong half way through the story where Lynn Okamoto's breast rubbing fetish shone through, THAT moment was still the pinnacle abviously, no one can deny that. The sports part was actually decent for what is was.

Akito

Akito it's been 15 minutes. I um, I gotta give up, but I swear I gave it an honest try. I can't solve this. We still cool though.
Well, one is so bad you want to smash your head against the wall constantly and the other one is actually entertaining, but quite rare. I'll let you figure out which is which.

upandaway

Lemme, wait, ok. I get what you're saying as a concept. You're saying a couple of things.

1. There's dumb
2. There's another type of dumb

See till here I'm good. I agree with this. Like, intentional and not intentional, or logical and not logical, right? I may not pinpoint exactly which two types you mean, but this should be enough. I can at least think up some possibilities.

3. There's a correlation to quality in the difference between the two types

Here I'm out. I tried any combination of two dumb manga that I know. I always have some more manga that can disprove any correlation. However I cannot give the specific examples without fear for my life.

Quasar

A thread over on gaming side pointed me towards Abnormal-kei Joshi, and I sampled a handful of chapters. I feel kind of dirty hours later. ugh.

akaoni

Banned
Lemme, wait, ok. I get what you're saying as a concept. You're saying a couple of things.

1. There's dumb

See till here I'm good. I agree with this. Like, intentional and not intentional, or logical and not logical, right? I may not pinpoint exactly which two types you mean, but this should be enough. I can at least think up some possibilities.

Here I'm out. I tried any combination of two dumb manga that I know. I always have some more manga that can disprove any correlation. However I cannot give the specific examples without fear for my life.

You've grabbed my attention like Elfen Lied, now you need to spill the beans.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

1. There's dumb

The quality of difference is whether which type of dumb is dumb enough to make you laugh and keep on reading.

scy

I think the more apt way to think about it is that there's a difference between "too dumb to enjoy" and "dumb but still enjoyable."

Basically, KNIM and Nisekoi.
I have no idea if this means shots fired

upandaway

All you guys are saying is that one is more enjoyable than the other which is what I could decipher from the very first post. I'm starting to think you guys are just as clueless as I am

You've grabbed my attention like Elfen Lied, now you need to spill the beans.
I really can't, but it's something like this
Basically, KNIM and Nisekoi.
I have no idea if this means shots fired
and it involves putting me in danger of very specific peeps here (naming them will be the same as naming the series in question)

Antiwhippy

Eh, there are perceptible differences in what is dumb enough for me to enjoy. Ridiculous fanservice, like HSDK, is dumb enough for me to enjoy, and something deathly serious to the point of ridiculousness like Holyland is capable of creating the dumb I enjoy. However, dumb stuff that's just straight up offensive, or just have characters I think are incredibly dumb (like naruto) I would just drop pretty fast.

upandaway

Eh, there are perceptible differences in what is dumb enough for me to enjoy. Ridiculous fanservice, like HSDK, is dumb enough for me to enjoy, and something deathly serious to the point of ridiculousness like Holyland is capable of creating the dumb I enjoy. However, dumb stuff that's just straight up offensive, or just have characters I think are incredibly dumb (like naruto) I just would drop pretty fast.
So basically there's no discernible line aside from subjective opinion about the enjoyability of the thing.

scy

All you guys are saying is that one is more enjoyable than the other which is what I could decipher from the very first post. I'm starting to think you guys are just as clueless as I am

I think that's probably the case since nobody said anything besides the first line there. So you put forth some weird claim that nobody even said about inherent quality.

wonzo

Banned
Sekai Seifuku Sekirara Jogakkan EX1

just as ponpo got an anime, solune gets a oneshot tucked away at the end of a manga series

1. There's dumb

It's the difference between Code Geass and Guilty Crown.

Kurita

Dr.DMAT vol.1-2
DMAT, the acronym for the "Disaster Medical Assistance Team", was first established in 2004. For the past 10 years, the team has been providing on-site emergency assistance at disaster-hit areas. Yakumo Hibiki was an surgeon at the Arisukawa General Hospital's Emergency Unit, but due to a mistake involving his sister Haruko, he has since been transferred to the internal medicine unit.

This was pretty great. I really don't like blood, medical stuff and all the things like that but I still managed to read it and I'm glad I did. It's neat to have a medical manga where the characters don't stay at the hospital, this way we can get intense scenes in various places. The characters are all enjoyable so far and pretty much every chapter was good. There's some comedy in this, which I didn't expect, but most of the time it's pretty serious and some scenes can be a little tough (like the guy dying right before Hibiki's eyes). It also reminded me of Kokou no Hito because sometimes the authors like to use some visual metaphors which adds another dramatic layer to the situations.
The art is also pretty good. Definitely following this series.

scy

Actually, it looks like they are now so nevermind!

Seriously though, that's why I was saying it's just more apt to think of it as the "too bad to enjoy" and "so bad it's good" categories. It's just up to the person on where the line is, not something inherent to the things. I think OPM is pretty dumb but enjoyable, for instance. Same for things like Dragons Rioting.

Antiwhippy

Am I the only one here who reads noragami?

Because you guys should get in on that. Even though the story telling can be pretty messy at times.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Hajiotsu. 6
Welp I thought this was ending, but I guess we still have time for the cliched amusement park date.

Usotsuki Boyfriend 1-2
Is this the shoujo and wholesome version of Aunt Tits

Cerity

Kono Oto Tomare! 12
PTCTbgV.png

Why is she acting all cute all of a sudden. Hopefully it doesn't turn into some huge chika harem.

Am I the only one here who reads noragami?

Because you guys should get in on that. Even though the story telling can be pretty messy at times.

I read the first 4 chapters or so yesterday, didn't really hold my interest tbh. The description set my expectations up differently. I might give it another shot when a few more chapters come out.

Antiwhippy

you have me slightly interested

Nah, it's nothing major. Just misread which utsotsuki manga the poster from the previous page was talking about.

For noragami itself, while I don't think it's amazing (some parts seemed too rushed just due to the structure of it), I still think that it has some really great art with fun action, plus it gets going once it introduced more of the concept of partner weapons and they delve more into the nature of the main character.

Also has this chick, just to drum up more interest. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom