• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

evilone

EA Employee
The radar is very early but how it works is if you are next to another player shooting then his position will show up on your radar. It is the same radar system they use in COD4.

Kibbles

The website about the next EGM was updated and supposedly it'll be in the June EGM issue, which will be released in... April(?)

J-Rzez

dralla said:
Copy Resistance voice chat, open mic for people on your squad, push to talk for the entire team. simple, keeps things organized.

This is the best way to go. Squad being "Party Members/Clan Members" though.

PAYBACKill

J-Rzez said:
This is the best way to go. Squad being "Party Members/Clan Members" though.

Yeah, this is a solid idea...the radio frequencies was too hard to switch in emergencies if you had a team detached going around flanking, etc.

Doel

dralla said:
Copy Resistance voice chat, open mic for people on your squad, push to talk for the entire team. simple, keeps things organized.
I do like the idea of squads the way Resistance approaches it, especially if they are going forward with 32 player games (16 per team).

J-Rzez

Doel said:
I do like the idea of squads the way Resistance approaches it, especially if they are going forward with 32 player games (16 per team).

See, anyone can jump into your squad though, and some of the prior SOCOM crowd followers would make even the most hard-nosed kid staying up past his bedtime on XBL cry. I'd want it to be tied as open mic for your "Party Members/Friends/Clan Members" with an option to mute the rest of the team.

So I've heard summer as a release date and some random rumors from the conference about it being a Q4 title. Does anyone have any idea when it's coming out? And why in the world does amazon list it for $59.99??? I thought this was going to be the "5-8 maps, online only Socom" until Socom 4 comes out. $60 doesn't scream "downloadable stop gap" to me.

Madman

Gamecocks625 said:
So I've heard summer as a release date and some random rumors from the conference about it being a Q4 title. Does anyone have any idea when it's coming out? And why in the world does amazon list it for $59.99??? I thought this was going to be the "5-8 maps, online only Socom" until Socom 4 comes out. $60 doesn't scream "downloadable stop gap" to me.
There is confusion about this. It has been said that Confrontation is coming out in the summer, presumably June, and it has been said that Socom is coming in Q4. The theory, or at least my theory, is that both are true. Confrontation is coming in the summer, and the full Socom is coming in Q4.

Doel

Madman said:
There is confusion about this. It has been said that Confrontation is coming out in the summer, presumably June, and it has been said that Socom is coming in Q4. The theory, or at least my theory, is that both are ture. Confrontation is coming in the summer, and the full Socom is coming in Q4.
No way is Sony going to release two SOCOM titles within mere months of each other, regardless how different they are, they would still eat into each other's market share.

I still stand by my belief that Zipper is working on a new IP that will be a "large-scale online game". Possibly an MMO. And that we won't see it until 2009.

Madman

Doel said:
No way is Sony going to release two SOCOM titles within mere months of each other, regardless how different they are, they would still eat into each other's market share.

I still stand by my belief that Zipper is working on a new IP that will be a "large-scale online game". Possibly an MMO. And that we won't see it until 2009.
They are releasing 2 large FPSs within months of eachother.

I seriously doubt Zipper would abandon such a successful series. Extremely unlikely.

Safe Bet

Banned
Gamecocks625 said:
Well it went from being a fanservice for SOCOM I & II players to something else entirely, so who the fuck knows what's going on with it...

All we wanted was SOCOM I/II in HD ffs.

Kittonwy

Banned
J-Rzez said:
See, anyone can jump into your squad though, and some of the prior SOCOM crowd followers would make even the most hard-nosed kid staying up past his bedtime on XBL cry. I'd want it to be tied as open mic for your "Party Members/Friends/Clan Members" with an option to mute the rest of the team.

You can mute anyone you want in Resistance though, usually I just talk trash back to teh keedz. ~_~

Broadbandito said:
NO IT WONT, 2 different audiences, 2 way different games. Everyone that plays mp on ps3 will basically get socom. Everyone will also get MGS4 (especially the people buying a ps3 just for it) but there are also people waiting to buy a ps3 for socom. Socom will be huge, and so will mgs4

Would you prefer SOCOM will not be as huge as MGS4 then? :lol

Let's also not forget that PS3 on-line gaming is more prevalent, at least better marketed, than PS2 online gaming. As such the online userbase is now spread out across more titles, so I question SOCOM's ability to maintain that critical mass it had when it was known as The online PS2 game.

Time will reveal all.

Doel

Warhawk's Home integration.

Interestingly enough I had that same idea a while ago, but for SOCOM.

I thought up an idea that I think would be very unique and especially beneficial for clan matches.

Between rounds what if the players who were dead were given the ability to interact with a topographical image of the map. Using a Mouse or just your joystick, each team could collaborate between rounds on coming up with a strategy. You could draw up plays much like one would do in Madden game, only in this it would be done on the fly between rounds. You could even save drawn up plans that you had created for that particular map, and share it with the team between rounds.

This would be an awesome way to enhance clan matches as well as giving players something to do while they are waiting.

EDIT: Further explained below

Maybe you'd invite people into your drawing board, and you'd give them the ability to interact with it as well. That way you wouldn't have unwanted people drawing curse words all over the screen. You'd actually have to invite them into your drawing board. And once in they could interact with it, with you.

In conjuction with that, there could also be a team one, which you would just switch to using to the d-pad (like how you switch players when you're dead), that everyone on the team can interact with. So if you're playing with a good group of people you don't have to go through the trouble of inviting everyone to your drawing board. And say someone comes in and is being a **bleep**, and is drawing all over it. The team can vote to have his drawings removed from the map, and disable his ability to interact with the team's drawing board.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Worked 30 mins ago. Not now.

I stilll have the page open.

SOCOM franchise gets a new community manager!

That's right. Today on the SOCOM Barracks, the man we only know as DevGru-Echo (previous SOCOM community manager) is "mov[ing] on to other things" while Cindy Bowens (know as Abigale on the boards) is stepping in. She makes an awesome introduction here and here, so be sure to welcome her to the community.

With that, we also get a little bit of bad news as Abigale posted, there is no update today from Slant Six employee(s), SealTeam-6, that some of you were hoping for. But with the EGM cover story on the way, this should come as no surprise. Only a month (possibly 2, depending on the issue) longer till that arrives.

Anyways, I'd like to welcome Cindy Bowens/Abigale to our wonderful community!

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They improved the camera position when prone. That is much better. I like the closer camera... less cheesing with seeing around walls and over objects.

Still not perfect, but much better.

edit: those are some shitty screens 1up... wtf.

n1n9tean

Banned
Oh my goodness. There is NOTHING LIKE SOCOM!

Just from those low-res pictures I just got a rush of that "SOCOM-emotion!" AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Evolved1

n1n9tean said:
Oh my goodness. There is NOTHING LIKE SOCOM!

Just from those low-res pictures I just got a rush of that "SOCOM-emotion!" AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! :D

hahhah...

Evolved1

I was always partial to the original Blood Lake and Abandoned.

Not the Socom II remixes though... they kind of fucked up all the great maps in Socom II. And that's weird, because all the new maps in Socom II were friggin' sweet as hell.

Doel

One thing I noticed right off the bat. The time in the 2nd pic is 15:17, so I HOPE that is respawn game and not a regular game.

2nd pic is from the Seal's spawn point looking out on Crossroads. I'm on SOCOM 2 right now to compare and the Confrontation pic is A LOT more detailed (obviously) and you can see down the entire map.

Evolved1

That building in the first pic reminds me of the central building in Desert Glory. I killed many a noob on that stairwell!

*Dude, he's behind you*

*what*

*he jumped out the window, he's behind y.....*

n1n9tean

Banned
recklessmind said:
That building in the first pic reminds me of the central building in Desert Glory. I killed many a noob on that stairwell!

*Dude, he's behind you*

*what*

:lol

Evolved1

Doel said:
One thing I noticed right off the bat. The time in the 2nd pic is 15:17, so I HOPE that is respawn game and not a regular game.

Respawn games, imo, were cool for clan warmups. That's pretty much all they were good for. I don't think they were worth the crowd they drew into the game.

Hey, is it just me... or did the fucking launchers in Socom II ruin amazing maps like Nightstalker?

I hated that they added that crap. I could live with the noob tubes, but the fucking launchers were just obnoxious.

PAYBACKill

recklessmind said:
Respawn games, imo, were cool for clan warmups. That's pretty much all they were good for. I don't think they were worth the crowd they drew into the game.

Hey, is it just me... or did the fucking launchers in Socom II ruin amazing maps like Nightstalker?

I hated that they added that crap. I could live with the noob tubes, but the fucking launchers were just obnoxious.

yeah I just put my guys in respawn for awhile and only let them use rifles...once their k:d was past 1.5 , we went to find wars.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
recklessmind said:

*Dude, he's behind you*

*what*

:lol

Doel said:
2 new pics!!!

And who ever re-sized those pics did a HORRIBLE job. Lets hope 1up releases the full sizes soon.

yeah this is the worst shyt I've ever seen in re-sizing....everything has a shyt load of jaggies

Evolved1

Elbrain said:
The pics don't fucking load for me! But still I am hyped! :D

media.jpg

media1.jpg

:D I know kung fu.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
recklessmind said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/recklessmind/media.jpg[////IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/recklessmind/media1.jpg[////IMG]

:D I know kung fu.[/QUOTE]

wow , amazing ..

but Just release the game already because then Zipper can reveal their ""True"" next gen SOCOM

Evolved1

One thing I always liked about Socom was the animation. There were quite a few subtle animations in the game that you just do not see in most military shooters.

Little stuff... like being able to walk backwards, the way your dude would hold his pistol... my favorite thing was that your guy wasn't always holding the gun up in the air, like he was ready to fire. Mostly the gun was down at the hip until you pressed the button lightly to bring it up, or you stared firing. (there was also that bug that made the gun go up when an enemy was around lol).

It really bothers me that I haven't seen a single screen where the player doesn't have his rifle up and ready to shoot.

That shit drove me crazy in GRAW, because everyone looked so retarded running around with the gun up by their faces.

I really hope Slant Six takes the time to do those animations. Probably seems pretty insignificant to most people, but that shit annoys me.

Top Bottom