• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
Just to clarify, is this referring to the Arpeggio thing where Seven Seas said they're not involved with the CR simulpub?

Yea, given the lack of enthusiasm or hell any sort of announcement from Seven Seas side, I doubt they had much involvement in the process.

And Vertical is also avoiding anything that was previously published in digital, I think they mentioned it on tumblr, that they're now no longer interested in Inside Mari.

Great if you like digital, sucks if you want manga on actual paper.

Quasar

Sub-par? How can you say that, they've only just started and already managed to fuck over US publishers with Japan lol (that's a sad lol). They have some decent titles and they're on their way to fill the back issue catalog so I think it's pretty decent for a start.

Yeah. I'm personally pretty impressed by how quickly they have been adding stuff. My only issue is the back chapter problem with titles they add mid run.

LeleSocho

Banned
Sounds like What A Tease, the manga.

Nah, it's short enough to not be infuriating on the fact that they don't do anything the whole time.

Comic Studio 9-26 (end)
Enjoyable. It doesn't break new grounds but it's enjoyable, it's light enough that blurs the lines of its genre between romance and ecchi.

SmutGAF is deviating me though... i'm reading too much racy stuff, i must pay more attention from now on.

Quasar

Yea, given the lack of enthusiasm or hell any sort of announcement from Seven Seas side, I doubt they had much involvement in the process.

And Vertical is also avoiding anything that was previously published in digital, I think they mentioned it on tumblr, that they're now no longer interested in Inside Mari.

Great if you like digital, sucks if you want manga on actual paper.

Vertical also said that on an anncast. Pretty unfortunate they take that view. I don't see how CR simupubs would really impact print sales more than easy access to scanlations have been around for years.

Yeah. I'm personally pretty impressed by how quickly they have been adding stuff. My only issue is the back chapter problem with titles they add mid run.

I wish the interface would get fixed, Web portal can be odd at times in wanting to view on a browser ona larger screen, mobile app is good but occasionally it and the web portal have a delay with loading chapters at the time their supposed to come out.

Kieli

Vertical can eat a dick after their petulant dismissals of Chihayafuru & the LoGH novels.

Unfortunately, I don't think any company is crazy enough to embark on the task of licensing and translating this... unless the IQ of the entire world somehow rises by 50 points and people stop liking garbage.

Vito

Banned
Vertical can eat a dick after their petulant dismissals of Chihayafuru & the LoGH novels.

Chihayafuru - too long, hard to market case lol karuta, market as sport, which doesn't sell or market as josei, which probably doesn't all that better
LOGH - novels = expensive and too long.

Ed has taught me well. Their licensing requests are limited to shorter series due to reader attrition and licensing costs, heck it's only lately they've started having good business results.

You know who can eat a dick, a whole bag of them? Yen Press. I still consider it one of my twitter asshole highlights when I provoked them to rant. Though seriously, instead of releasing a PR for a new license at a con, they just pointed people to ANN and went drinking with their staff lol.

Unfortunately, I don't think any company is crazy enough to embark on the task of licensing and translating this... unless the IQ of the entire world somehow rises by 50 points and people stop liking garbage.

Remember though, that garbage people buy in mass quantities, ultimately pays for the quality flops, us snobs like. :(

LeleSocho

Banned

What if i like LoGH and garbage? Where does that put me?

Kieli

Remember though, that garbage people buy in mass quantities, ultimately pays for the quality flops, us snobs like. :(

Oh, for sure.

It just seems like the scales have been tipping too far in the wrong direction, lately. Or maybe I'm just getting older and more cynical. :(

Akito

RRR v1
ibziZNYVeOIyMD.png
Rikitaro is a musician whose dream is to become a rock star just like Jimi Hendrix or Jim Morrison, but at the age of 27 that dream is fading away rapidly. Ooishi is a 3 time world boxing champion who recently retired and is now in the entertainment world, shooting a boxing reality show. These two unlikeliest of people cross paths one day but both of them think nothing of it until weeks later. Rikitaro is given one last shot by a record label to sign a deal but before that, they need him to get into better shape so that he is easier to sell. He stumbles upon a boxing gym which also happens to be the same gym Ooishi is filming his show. As fate’s wheels start to turn, neither man realizes that they will work together to train the best boxer ever, even better than Ooishi himself.
This is quite good so far, Rikitaro may not a radiant hero but his heart is in the right place and his determination is admirable... once he has made up mind.

Vito

Banned
Ame Nochi Hare - chapters 1-18

Author of this is Bikke, who has a long line of Prince of Tennis doujinshi and it's published in B's Log, home of Togainu no Chi, DRAMAtical Murder manga adaptations... see where this is going? Yeah I thought so too...

Premise sounds kinda dumb, 5 (good looking of course) guys get stuck in school on their first day, lightning strikes and now they turn into girls whenever it rains. Some, as you can see bellow, turn into pretty tomboys, it's all very conflicting... oh and of course the school campus is separated into boys' and girls' side, to make things more awkward.

But so far it actually hasn't steered into any overly BL stuff, heck I could probably say there's more yuri in it if anything. It doesn't really deal much in regards to the physical side of their transformation, just happens, the furthest the story addressed it is when they went to buy underwear, so no Inside Mari scenes (you know which one I mean). The majority of the story deals with relationships forming between various characters and their feelings, sometimes how they see another side to a person when in other form, and it reveals more about characters' backstory as we go along. It's quite a surprise, I didn't expect it to be such a decent read.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Aozora Yell v1-2

It's a fairly simple premise Tsubasa sees the brass band play at Koshien so she joins the school to be in it, meets Daisuke, a catcher for the baseball team, with similar dreams.

Full disclaimer: girl looked slightly tomboyish and my Adachi overdoses made me fond of baseball on top of it...

I need to pick this up again, but their perma smile unsettled me enough to stop reading for awhile.

Their joy is intense.

wonzo

Banned
7 Seeds 82-86

me reading chapters 83 & 84

I'm sure Hana ends up washing ashore somewhere but still, FUCK

At least Ango and Ryo were put the fuck down and were exiled though I doubt running into Team Summer B will do them (or Summer B) much good, even though their sense of bewilderment watching them was pretty funny.

Ugh, those fuckers I HATE THEM SO MUCH.

Chihayafuru - too long, hard to market case lol karuta, market as sport, which doesn't sell or market as josei, which probably doesn't all that better
LOGH - novels = expensive and too long.

Ed has taught me well. Their licensing requests are limited to shorter series due to reader attrition and licensing costs, heck it's only lately they've started having good business results.
I know but it still hurts. ;_;

*buys ssy yuri smut edition*
Did CR ever add the ability to put manga on queue?
You can bookmark series in the iOS app but thats about it afaik.

Ame Nochi Hare - chapters 1-18

Author of this is Bikke, who has a long line of Prince of Tennis doujinshi and it's published in B's Log, home of Togainu no Chi, DRAMAtical Murder manga adaptations... see where this is going? Yeah I thought so too...

I had never checked this one out because it was never targeted as a bl series, thought it was more in line with the josei that bikke sometimes does.

If one likes the Bikke after reading this I think Shinkuu Yuusetsu and Kabe no Naka no Tenshi ought to be checked out.

Seki-kun's up there and that's all that matter.

We're gonna need to find a replacement for Sora no Otoshimono since that's pretty much ended at this point.

Just replace KNIM with the new series too, lol.

Quasar

I wish the interface would get fixed, Web portal can be odd at times in wanting to view on a browser ona larger screen, mobile app is good but occasionally it and the web portal have a delay with loading chapters at the time their supposed to come out.

It is unfortunate they are stuck using flash for the web thing. Though really I just use an iPad for reading and after some initial issues it seems to be OK now.

Quasar

That does fucking suck, and definitely makes me look on them in a lesser light.

Though the 'oh its been on digital - fuck off' stance also makes me look on them in a negative light.

Comic Studio 1-26

Kind of fun and cute but those last to chapters were dumb as hell. Also the pedo-vibes were strong with this one, for a while there I thought she was just pretending to be 20 and I was a bit concerned.

Magi 214

Ooooh new arc (unless its just one giant flashback lol). Aladdin don't care about yo rules, God.

bigkrev

Nisekoi

I hate Haru. Please just go away.
but if your gonna stick around, taking baths with Onedera is one way to make me hate you less

Cerity

Seishun Pop 40
jbWIZT3.png

those boring chapters possibly redeemed now that we get to see MC realising that ayano is ridiculously yandere.

upandaway

Magi

So is Solomon going to be a Super Sinbad kinda guy? I guess the explanation, well nothing was explained yet so we don't know for sure yet, but that employing the parallel universes theory, one of the infinite universes gave birth to a dude that could interact with other universes.
I mean that's kind of.. it's kind of a really really slippery slope, y'know? That seems dangerous.

Curious for the rest, there's obviously a whole lot more to this, I can't begin to imagine what the motive is (aside from discouraging conflict).

Dang its already been 400 pages? Crazy to think that lol. 200 pages for those using the 100 posts.
This thread is trudging by pretty slowly actually. Twice as slow as some of the others.

akaoni

Banned
I tried the first volume of Kingdom and found the MC to be irritating in dialogue, behaviour and expressions. That hotheaded, battle shounen Luffy-archetype is beyond what I can handle so I'm going to have to pass on the series. I've been this way before but it's for real this time! Silver Spoon on the other hand seemed like it could be good but the artwork verges on terrible in my opinion from what I did read of volume 1, lazy and cheap is best I could describe it, especially from such an established author. I'm tempted to move onto the smut banner, but it's just so easy, if I start on that it becomes like crack and I end up hating myself. Trying to settle into other stuff after binging on a series is the roughest shit for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom