• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried the first volume of Kingdom and found the MC to be irritating in dialogue, behaviour and expressions. That hotheaded, battle shounen Luffy-archetype is beyond what I can handle so I'm going to have to pass on the series. I've been this way before but it's for real this time! Silver Spoon on the other hand seemed like it could be good but the artwork verges on terrible in my opinion from what I did read of volume 1, lazy and cheap is best I could describe it, especially from such an established author. I'm tempted to move onto the smut banner, but it's just so easy, if I start on that it becomes like crack and I end up hating myself. Trying to settle into other stuff after binging on a series is the roughest shit for me.

I'd say keep at it with Kingdom, it's pretty fun and it's basically Dynasty Warriors: The Manga.

Also, is your avatar from 7 Seeds?

(honestly I talk about 7 Seeds so much I might as well petition for a tag saying "READ 7 SEEDS")

akaoni

Banned
I'd say keep at it with Kingdom, it's pretty fun and it's basically Dynasty Warriors: The Manga.

Also, is your avatar from 7 Seeds?

(honestly I talk about 7 Seeds so much I might as well petition for a tag saying "READ 7 SEEDS")

Yes. You will read 7Seeds.

I was crazy about Dynasty Warriors as a kid thus Kingdom appeals, but they had to mess it up by shoehorning in luffy to capture the battle shounen audience. Or I'm just whining like I always do.

Aizo

Banned
As expected it built up to nothing though, even good/great quality manga of this nature tend to have bad conclusions so that's not too shocking.

At least it didn't take nearly 400 chapters to get to a shit ending like Gantz did, that's still my #1 contender for worst manga ending ever.

Gantz was a huge disappointment, but I still think Reborn had the worst manga ending I've ever seen.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Yes. You will read 7Seeds.

I was crazy about Dynasty Warriors as a kid thus Kingdom appeals, but they had to mess it up by shoehorning in luffy to capture the battle shounen audience. Or I'm just whining like I always do.

Keep on reading. The scale of Kingdom is so off-the-chart is unbelievable--no other manga has ever managed to capture the feel and look of massive battle with all its intricacies and strategies as well as Kingdom.

"Shoehorning Luffy to capture the battle shounen audience" is a silly statement.

But I guess if you don't like it you don't like it. The same for me for being unable to digest 7 seeds due to the art it inflicts upon my eyes.

xxxHOLiC Rei 25

Man, I am really looking forward to seeing what's this 'sequel' is all about cause I have a bunch of ideas floating in my head now after reading this chapter.

Too bad I kinda expect the next one to be another case, woo

wonzo

Banned
7 Seeds 87-111
7seeds94.jpg

I just couldn't stop myself from reading more after they came across that massive ship and I'm glad I did as it was an incredibly gripping and emotional ride from beginning to end. I feel kinda bad for shitting on Ango and Ryo now after all that. They really grew as people. ;_;

I'm glad that not only Hana survived, but that she also made some new animals friends and ran into Fujiko & Chisa! That child-like sequence was kinda weird but also really pretty to look at.

oh and semimaru is basically a dumber and more carefree version of alibaba from magi but without the :fedora side to him. truly one of the greatest comic relief character ever

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, the manga does a great job of humanising characters like ango and ryo, which is incredible really.

You should have read it all the way to the end now. It'll be a hell of a ride.

I think I was the one who introduced 7 Seeds to this thread? Well one of the earliest anyway.

Read Basara after 7 Seeds. Not quite as good, but has the same tense feel of it.

I think you're pretty much the only one in mangaf to talk about it at first. I remembered that you kept on recommending it to me.

Aizo

Banned
Yeah, FlutterPuffs. If you had a tag, it should definitely be about how much you want people to read 7 Seeds. Hahah.

Yeah, FlutterPuffs. If you had a tag, it should definitely be about how much you want people to read 7 Seeds. Hahah.

Well it was worth it!

Yeah, the manga does a great job of humanising characters like ango and ryo, which is incredible really.

You should have read it all the way to the end now. It'll be a hell of a ride.

I think you're pretty much the only one in mangaf to talk about it at first. I remembered that you kept on recommending it to me.

7 Seeds 87-111

I just couldn't stop myself from reading more after they came across that massive ship and I'm glad I did as it was an incredibly gripping and emotional ride from beginning to end. I feel kinda bad for shitting on Ango and Ryo now after all that. They really grew as people. ;_;

I'm glad that not only Hana survived, but that she also made some new animals friends and ran into Fujiko & Chisa! That child-like sequence was kinda weird but also really pretty to look at.

oh and semimaru is basically a dumber and more carefree version of alibaba from magi but without the :fedora side to him. truly one of the greatest comic relief character ever

7 Seeds has some of the best character arcs in a series of any medium. That's the biggest reason why I love it so much.

duckroll

Magi

At first I thought they were going to tell this flashback in 2-3 chapters and be done with it. I would have been okay with that it was were just an expanded version of that same flashback Aladdin keeps having about the final days of his world. But then I saw the creation of the universe, and the alien monster races, and I got pretty disappointed that we might never see any of that in detail. Then, at the end, they announce that the it's going to be an ENTIRE ARC of the rise of Solomon in this alien otherworld?! ALL.OVER.MY.FACE. :D

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If it was done, or showed signs of ending, I would read it.

There's a point, right before the hiatus, which serves as a perfectly good ambiguous ending.

Thats how I cope and wait for it to finish. Then I will read the fan transcripts, because hell will freeze over before it gets a full escalation.

CoolS

Ippo

How long has it been since we got a new chapter? Seems like forever.

And yeah, Ippo is going to get hit with a big one.

Glass Rebel

Hajime no Ippo

Seeing Ippo have such a relatively easy time with Gonzales will make the inevitable reversal (and re-reversal) even tastier although it would be hilarious if it had an anti-climatic conclusion like Itagaki's fight :lol

I wonder what Gonzales' "nasty habits" are though. As far as we know his original style isn't exactly like Martinez', so maybe something more wild/sloppy? He doesn't exactly have the build of an in-fighter either... I'm sure Ippo will pull it out of him though.

Lain

Trinity 7 volume 1
pz8.jpeg

I loved this first volume. Everything about it was great (well, the art wasn't anything to write home about, but it worked quite well), from the way the protagonist acted to the way everything was kept non serious to the various revelations and some mysteries that the next volumes will explain.
The cast of characters is full of clichés but they manage to be interesting to watch perform their things, from the teacher Lilith to the Rei-clone Arin (which looks to be a clone of Arata's cousin or something) to the idiotic school's director.

Usually too many references to something being a manga, or not being real could be off-putting, but so far it managed to keep the atmosphere relaxed and make the protagonist a lovable asshole that has little or no shame and I'm loving him for that.

dramatis

Seki-kun's up there and that's all that matter.

We're gonna need to find a replacement for Sora no Otoshimono since that's pretty much ended at this point.

Just replace KNIM with the new series too, lol.
What smut series is a lot of Mangaf following that isn't already in the banner, other than Fuuka?

I tried the first volume of Kingdom and found the MC to be irritating in dialogue, behaviour and expressions. That hotheaded, battle shounen Luffy-archetype is beyond what I can handle so I'm going to have to pass on the series. I've been this way before but it's for real this time! Silver Spoon on the other hand seemed like it could be good but the artwork verges on terrible in my opinion from what I did read of volume 1, lazy and cheap is best I could describe it, especially from such an established author. I'm tempted to move onto the smut banner, but it's just so easy, if I start on that it becomes like crack and I end up hating myself. Trying to settle into other stuff after binging on a series is the roughest shit for me.
Keep on reading Silver Spoon.

Vito

Banned
Re: Ippo

Current available Ippo raw is 1047 published in this year's eleventh issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine on sale tomorrow.

Defuser

Magi
I wouldn't say it's a parallel world, more like a dimension. But anyway, it's interesting that Ohtaka decided to start the genesis of everything as a arc, I guess I'm interested to see how its started but that means we won't be seeing the rest of the characters for a looooooong time.

Shengar

Re: Ippo

Current available Ippo raw is 1047 published in this year's eleventh issue of Weekly Shonen Magazine on sale tomorrow.

lol chapter 1047
How's Ippo progress on his road to challenge Ricardo Martinez? It's been ages since I last read it.

Vito

Banned
lol chapter 1047
How's Ippo progress on his road to challenge Ricardo Martinez? It's been ages since I last read it.

Ippo is currently finding Alfredo Gonzales, 2nd ranked who got his ass handed to him by Martinez twice. (that's chapter 1042, I haven't checked the raws lately)

daveo42

Banned
Silver Spoon 95

The mystery stew was a good way to finish up the first year for the group. A bunch of different people with different goals, dreams, and personalities coming together to make something that is actually really good.

Next chapter looks like it'll be about further life lessons and possibly some Hachiken breakthrough on his business. I really like the principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom