• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

So, while we're talking about things that are late, is the midnight launch tournament at Gamestop technically an hour earlier because of daylight savings time? Or does that change not happen until later than midnight?

R.O.B!!!! :D

hidden07.jpg

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
So, while we're talking about things that are late, is the midnight launch tournament at Gamestop technically an hour earlier because of daylight savings time?

...My EB Games isn't doing a midnight launch.

sadelectrode.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jiggy37 said:
So, while we're talking about things that are late, is the midnight launch tournament at Gamestop technically an hour earlier because of daylight savings time? Or does that change not happen until later than midnight?
Daylight savings isn't until 2AM, sadly.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
The change actually occurs at 2am.
1:59:57a
1:59:58a
1:59:59a
3:00:00a

R.O.B., the Robotic Operating Buddy from the NES, makes a grand entrance into the maelstrom!

His stately form has received a lot of attention, but it’s his air of gentle playfulness that really charms us.

hidden07_080306a-l.jpg
hidden07_080306b-l.jpg
hidden07_080306c-l.jpg
hidden07_080306d-l.jpg

<Standard Special Move: Robo Beam>

hidden07_080306e-l.jpg

A straight, fast, piercing beam!

This ultrafast shooting move is one of R.O.B.’s key weapons.

It has a couple of interesting characteristics.

1. You can change the angle of the shot.

hidden07_080306f-l.jpg

If the shot hits the ground, it can ricochet.

2. You can’t fire again immediately after you use it.

hidden07_080306g-l.jpg

Fzzzzh. There’s just not enough energy.

3. If you don’t use it for a bit, it will become a Super Robo Beam.

hidden07_080306h-l.jpg

This time he’s at full power.

He stores his energy in the diode on his head, so you can tell when he’s charged up by looking at the light there. Cooooool...

<Side Special Move: Arm Rotor>

Push the button repeatedly to increase the power of the spin and continue attacking. You can even deflect projectiles.

hidden07_080306i-l.jpg

Ba-ching! This move is bound to come in handy...

<Up Special Move: Robo Burner>

This move allows R.O.B. to hover by using his booster jets.

hidden07_080306j-l.jpg

His stand can now be used for flight!

Keep tilting the Control Stick up to continue using the Robo Burners. There’s a fixed amount of fuel though, and when it’s gone you won’t be able to fly. By using the Control Stick to control when the jets are on and off, you’ll be able to earn more mileage.

But when you land, your fuel gets replenished. You’ll have a full tank again in a little less than 1.5 seconds.

However, when your fuel level is low and you’re landing or refueling, it's the perfect time for others to attack you, so watch out!

If you’re launched into the air repeatedly, you might not have a chance to refuel and you won’t be able to recover.

hidden07_080306k-l.jpg

Enemies might attack when you land.

<Down Special Move: Gyro>

An item you can charge up and throw? There aren’t too many of those.

hidden07_080306l-l.jpg

More spin, more spin...

hidden07_080306m-l.jpg

And throw!

Once it’s been charged up, the gyros are pretty powerful, but since they’re items, opponents can pick them up and use them, too. There can only be one on the screen at a time, so pick your moment and throw!

hidden07_080306n-l.jpg

They’re also effective in Multi-Man Brawl. Use it with the Robo Beam for combos!

Iam Canadian

You know, I had my doubts if R.O.B could make a viable character, but he actually looks like he has a good moveset. I look forward to using him.

Jiggy

On a serious note, is there anyone left in this thread who hadn't read the spoilers? (Or at least anyone left who actually posts.) It seems kind of like grandjedi6 has bailed out. >_>

Yay we got Official Art for ROB!

I cant eleive he did'nt show how to unlock Snake tho...I mean he only needs 130 VS Matches (Or 15 in Shadow Moses)...

Tradition not continued :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm pretty sure everyone in here couldn't resist looking at the spoilers, especially after the site went into spoiler mode.

Fenix

Iam Canadian said:
There's no such thing as a person who abstains from Smash spoilers. They're mythological creatures.

I have a friend who's abstaining... we've practically severed communication since the Dojo went in to spoiler territory.

RoboPlato said:
I'm pretty sure everyone in here couldn't resist looking at the spoilers, especially after the site went into spoiler mode.
I haven't saved the music which I mentioned early on in the spoiler thread. Have only ever checked it when the good people of GAF cared to notify me about a music update with no actual in game spoilers. With this update, I'm suspicious of an asswad that kept posting mild spoilers in this thread. :mad:

Iam Canadian said:
R.O.B is the evolved form of the Trojan Horse.
It's still retarded. I have nothing against it really. I got that NES bundle for Christmas '86. Even named the thing "Gyro" but this is just nuts. No K. Rool but ROB? He must be this gen's Pichu.

Iam Canadian

The only thing creepier is that picture of people entering between the legs of that giant overly-happy Pikachu tent/balloon thing.

VeritasVierge said:
It's still retarded. I have nothing against it really. I got that NES bundle for Christmas '86. Even named the thing "Gyro" but this is just nuts. No K. Rool but ROB? He must be this gen's Pichu.

This I just don't understand.

R.O.B played an extremely important part in gaming history. It was the R.O.B that got the NES onto store shelves in the first place following the video game crash. R.O.B has as much right to be in Smash as Mr. Game and Watch.

He also looks to be a very viable character in his own right. His moveset looks very interesting and fun to use. He may not have the sheer bizarre factor of Game and Watch, but he looks like a perfectly good character.

Firestorm

WiiRevolution1 said:
This is creepier.

EDIT: Why is that banned from here?

Anyway i was refering to this

If you posted what I think you did, remember that a certain character hasn't been revealed on the dojo yet.

Actually Veritas, he's this gen's Game & Watch. A throwback to Nintendo's really early history. Powerwise, he's pretty damn good and a lot of fun to play. Give him a go.

It's nice to get the official name for him though. In Japan he's called ROBOT but looks like we'll get R.O.B.

Jiggy

VeritasVierge said:
There's nothing to say K. Rool isn't in.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I avoided all kinds of spoiler, but i did see the rumoured character list and it seems, that list was right.

VeritasVierge said:
I loved DKC2 to death and thought K. Rool had an awesome fight, but as a character, he was awful. Besides, ROB is a friggin' death machine.

Firestorm said:
Actually Veritas, he's this gen's Game & Watch. A throwback to Nintendo's really early history. Powerwise, he's pretty damn good and a lot of fun to play. Give him a go.

It's nice to get the official name for him though. In Japan he's called ROBOT but looks like we'll get R.O.B.

Iam Canadian said:
This I just don't understand.

R.O.B played an extremely important part in gaming history. It was the R.O.B that got the NES onto store shelves in the first place following the video game crash. R.O.B has as much right to be in Smash as Mr. Game and Watch.

He also looks to be a very viable character in his own right. His moveset looks very interesting and fun to use. He may not have the sheer bizarre factor of Game and Watch, but he looks like a perfectly good character.
You 2 sharing a mind or something tonight?
Thing is we had Game & watch. I suspected ROB would be playable first time it showed up in subspace emissary video. I just hoped he wouldn't be playable. I get why but Nintendo has a bazillion other characters which are being neglected for the most part. I guess it's time to youtube some ROB videos.

Jiggy, that may very well be.

Fenix

Iam Canadian said:
I don't know, I always had a soft spot for #094.

Yeah Gengar is pretty cool (if I was maybe 8 years younger I wouldn't have had to look that up).

Is it weird that I used to have a team of 4 Squirtles, a Wartortle and a Blastoise, all level 100?

scottnak

Is it weird that today, I met up with some Japanese exchange students and had lunch with them... and we ended talking about Pokemon? And trying to explain what we all liked back when, except for the whole Japanese Name =/= American Name thing. I got to flex my nerd muscle in conveying 001,004,007 and 039 (I cheated on this one :().

Personally, soft spot for 144 (this too :()

Firestorm

VeritasVierge said:
You 2 sharing a mind or something tonight?
Thing is we had Game & watch. I suspected ROB would be playable first time it showed up in subspace emissary video. I just hoped he wouldn't be playable. I get why but Nintendo has a bazillion other characters which are being neglected for the most part. I guess it's time to youtube some ROB videos.

Jiggy, that may very well be.

Denial
Bargaining
Anger <- You
Despair
Acceptance <- Me

When I found out I was a bit annoyed. Then about 10 minutes later I was fine with it. It's the moveset that matters, not the character. And ROB has an interesting moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom