• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

truendo

woxel1 said:
pikadorf.jpg
Lol

Jiggy

We still need wall jumping, swimming, crawling, R.O.B.'s final smash if they're going to do it, Peach's moves, Sheik's moves, maybe an Assist Trophy or Poke Ball Encyclopedia if they have that in mind, the full-fledged All-Star Mode and/or Coin Mode updates, and a certain number of characters and stages that I can't talk about since that would be a spoiler.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
We still need wall jumping, swimming, crawling, R.O.B.'s final smash if they're going to do it, Peach's moves, Sheik's moves, maybe an Assist Trophy or Poke Ball Encyclopedia if they have that in mind, the full-fledged All-Star Mode and/or Coin Mode updates, and a certain number of characters and stages that I can't talk about since that would be a spoiler.
Will you still be doing your stat updates? Or will those end tonight?

Jiggy

scottnak said:
Will you still be doing your stat updates? Or will those end tonight?
I'll be doing them until whenever the topic is going to be closed--at that time, I'll put up the rundown of everything until that point.

Fenix

Jiggy37 said:
I'll be doing them until whenever the topic is going to be closed--at that time, I'll put up the rundown of everything until that point.

This is going to be the most epic post (or posts) ever.

The Hermit

Actually informative... didn´t knew about:

Changing angles in the laser
The diode letting you know how much charge you have.
Pressing B for a faster rotation attack.

TJ Spyke said:
I would have been shocked if they didn't call him R.O.B. since that has always been his name, from his creation as an NES accessory up to his most recent appearance as a playable racer in Mario Kart DS.

He is an odd choice for a fighter, but less obscure (arguably) and less useless than Mr. Game & Watch.

...Less obscure? Mr. Game & Watch has four collections of games spanning three systems, a multitude of handheld systems with him in them, a DS collection, cameos in such games as Wario Land 4 and WarioWare games, ROB has two NES games, and cameos in such games as WarioWare. ROB may have been influential on Nintendo's presence in America, but for every one person who knows what ROB is, ten people know what Game & Watch is.

PBalfredo said:
Looks like some people need an edumacation in gaming history.

Basically, this little guy saved video games!

Now you know why R.O.B. is awesome.
You know, I didn't read what you posted. I even wonder if you were even born yet when the thing came out (yes, as stated earlier, I got one in 1986 if you even existed back then).

Still not my ideal candidate for a Brawl character.

Jiggy

R.O.B.'s fame probably grew by about ten times after Mario Kart DS sold like gangbusters, in fairness.
Now I just have to hope they don't put Baby Mario/Luigi/Peach in Super Smash Bros. 4 as a result of Mario Kart Wii, since I don't like them. Man, would that be an abomination. D:

VeritasVierge said:
You know, I didn't read what you posted. I even wonder if you were even born yet when the thing came out (yes, as stated earlier, I got one in 1986 if you even existed back then).

Still not my ideal candidate for a Brawl character.
Just because you were alive then doesn't mean you know what actually went on. Read his post.

just got my copy...
this game is so much better than melee. i love how the overall speed has been reduced and the attacks arent quite as "snappy". i also love how the characters have more weight to them. game is great

Jiggy37 said:
R.O.B.'s fame probably grew by about ten times after Mario Kart DS sold like gangbusters, in fairness.
Now I just have to hope they don't put Baby Mario/Luigi/Peach in Super Smash Bros. 4 as a result of Mario Kart Wii, since I don't like them. Man, would that be an abomination. D:

But what if it was Baby Mario/Baby Luigi duo with their Bros. Moves from PiT, like the Shell, Trampoline, etc.?

Jiggy

A Link to the Snitch said:
But what if it was Baby Mario/Baby Luigi duo with their Bros. Moves from PiT, like the Shell, Trampoline, etc.?
Then they'd have an incredibly interesting moveset, but I'd still hate them because they shouldn't be able to compete on fair grounds with their older counterparts, and also because I'm a baby-hater. Edit: And also because they'd be encroaching on the Ice Climbers' gimmick turf.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
PBalfredo said:
Looks like some people need an edumacation in gaming history.

Basically, this little guy saved video games!

Now you know why R.O.B. is awesome.

My reaction was actually in surprise, not disgust

Jiggy37 said:
Then they'd have an incredibly interesting moveset, but I'd still hate them because they shouldn't be able to compete on fair grounds with their older counterparts, and also because I'm a baby-hater. Edit: And also because they'd be encroaching on the Ice Climbers' gimmick turf.

Well, they can't own the gimmick forever. I could see Melee not having one because it's fresh, but two games later? I think it's time Ice Climbers stop monopolizing it.

TreIII

Well, they can't own the gimmick forever. I could see Melee not having one because it's fresh, but two games later? I think it's time Ice Climbers stop monopolizing it.

Plusle and Minun would have been perfect, in this respect.

But I have to side with Jiggy here...introducing the "Baby Mario chars" was a horrid idea, and the fact that they're still getting use (see a more recent example in the upcoming Mario Kart for Wii) does turn me off.

As far as I'm concerned, the only "Baby" Nintendo character that's necessary was DK Jr. And they don't even fully explain what happened to that guy...

Ril

TreIII said:

But I have to side with Jiggy here...introducing the "Baby Mario chars" was a horrid idea, and the fact that they're still getting use (see a more recent example in the upcoming Mario Kart for Wii) does turn me off.

As far as I'm concerned, the only "Baby" Nintendo character that's necessary was DK Jr. And they don't even fully explain what happened to that guy...

As a matter of fact, they have:

DK from Donkey Kong = Cranky Kong

DK Jr. = Current tie-wearing DK

Jiggy

Actually, I was pushing for the Hammer Bros. to fill in a new double-character slot in Brawl, until they revealed them as an assist trophy. :( They could have used hammers, boomerangs, and fireballs, and called in one of their SMB3 giant world kin for a final smash.

But the difference between the Hammer Bros. and the Mario babies is that I like the Hammer Bros. :D

NickP786

Jiggy: Just so you know, i'm still working on finding quotes from my section of this thread, and so far I got nothing but a huge Krystal argument lol

TreIII said:

Perhaps in Smash the Babies are bad, but they definitely belong in the Mario spin-offs.

But yeah, the duo characters I wouldn't mind seeing are...

Plusle & Minum
Diddy & Dixie
Mr. Shine & Mr. Bright :)D)
Ephraim & Eirika
Lolo & Lala

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Jiggy, I should be able to finish up my section either tonight or tomorrow. Do you want quotes PMed to you or just posted here?

TJ Spyke

Ril said:

Not quite. While it is confirmed that the original Donkey Kong is now Cranky Kong, Nintendo is inconsistent over whether the current Donkey Kong is the originals son (i.e. Donkey Kong Jr.) or if he is the originals grandson (i.e. DK Jr.'s son).

justchris

Eh, I'm not too fond of the babies either. They just seem silly and useless to me. Why not add new characters to the Mario franchise, that always works. I'd love to see Rosalina or a Luma driving a cart, or hell, why are they ignoring Mouser & Tryclyde?

Lolo & Lala

This. This right here.

justchris said:
Eh, I'm not too fond of the babies either. They just seem silly and useless to me. Why not add new characters to the Mario franchise, that always works. I'd love to see Rosalina or a Luma driving a cart, or hell, why are they ignoring Mouser & Tryclyde?

This. This right here.

Of choices better than the Babies, I don't think of Mouser.

Bowser Jr. > Toad > Paper Mario >>> Mouser < Birdo.

TreIII

Ril said:

Actually, they never have made up their mind with the whole "DK Genealogy" thing, as we just talked about a number of days ago...

http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/kongtroversy.shtml

Often, Cranky is portrayed as being (Current) DK's Grandpa in the majority of the games. It's only in DK64 that they, in-game, started back-tracking and said that he was DK's father, and even gave rise to the notion that Diddy and DK weren't even really related.

...And to not give any spoilers...but just look into a "certain thing involving Snake" if you want even more insight on how they believe Cranky to be the Grandfather.

And let's not forget Yoshi's Island DS. It's obvious that Baby DK is supposed to be the baby form of current DK...but he looks NOTHING AT ALL like DK Jr.! Which only gives more rise to the notion that not only are DK Jr and Current DK separate beings (where as one is not the younger form of the other), but that there may be a Kong out there who has since gone missing, and he's really the son of Cranky and the father of Current DK.

The plot only thickens for the Nintendo-verse... :lol

EDIT: And more love for Mouser and TryClyde! I love those guys! Mouser should have at least been an Assist. C'mon, Nintendo...why have you basically forgotten those bad-asses from 2/USA, and act like Shy Guys, Bob-ombs and Birdo are the only things worth remembering from that game?

TJ Spyke

TreIII said:
EDIT: And more love for Mouser and TryClyde! I love those guys! Mouser should have at least been an Assist. C'mon, Nintendo...why have you basically forgotten those bad-asses from 2/USA, and act like Shy Guys, Bob-ombs and Birdo are the only things worth remembering from that game?

Don't forgot that Peach's ability to float and her Down smash move (pulling up vegetables) came from SMB2 too. I agree that Mouser (and Wart) should be used at least once in awhile.

So, this is gonna come off as amazingly stalkerish, but oh well! I've been following this thread since it first started and I just got validated so it's nice to talk to all of you guys. Anyways...

Of choices better than the Babies, I don't think of Mouser.

Bowser Jr. > Toad > Paper Mario >>> Mouser < Birdo.

Birdo :O

Then that would be the sweetest thing ever, obviously. But approximately 73.8749% of people would still complain.

justchris

Aw come on, Mouser is a Mad Bombing Mouse, how can you not like that?

I'm not too fond of Wart though, but I agree that Toad should get more recognition. At least he gets a kart, so that's not too bad.

Also, Phanto :D

PBalfredo

I always thought Diddy and Dixie would make a good duel character in Smash. In my mind they would be a bit in between Zelda/Shiek and Ice Climbers. One would be playable while the other follows around in the background, not interacting with the other characters. They would have B moves that would use both of them, like their piggyback move from DKC2. That move would be a recovery where one throws the other, and the thrown Kong becomes the active Kong once he/she lands and the other follows in the back ground.

Character switches would occur often at the end of most of their B moves, making character switches fast and frequent. They would have similar standard moves, much like cloned characters. Close enough that the frequent Kong changes wouldn't throw the player off their game, but different in subtle ways to allow for use in advanced play. Percentage would apply to both as if they were one character and would loose a stock if the active Kong is KO'd.

Jiggy

NickP786 said:
Jiggy: Just so you know, i'm still working on finding quotes from my section of this thread, and so far I got nothing but a huge Krystal argument lol
It's no problem. :D Different people are finding really different amounts of stuff in their sections, and I just think that's a good thing.

RoboPlato said:
Jiggy, I should be able to finish up my section either tonight or tomorrow. Do you want quotes PMed to you or just posted here?
PM.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I, too, hate Baby Mario and Baby Luigi. First off, I'm not a fan of kids. At all. They seriously get on my nerves. >_> But even putting aside that inherent bias, they're just gimmicky variations on classic, iconic characters with no real personalities or identities of their own. They should never have appeared in the sports titles, and they should stay confined to the Yoshi games and the occasional time-travel plot where they belong.

I'm not against more dual-characters, either. A Sonic and Tails combo would have been great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
CreatureX3 said:
That would be cool. How about a video message from Sakurai himself?! :D

Sakurai:
Hello fans. I've had to make a few deals recently. In exchange for my help with the Hillary Clinton campaign, in which my "You must recover" advice paid off big, Hillary has let me use one of her husbands 'undisclosed locations' to deliver this important message.

April 10.

Jiggy

layzie1989 said:
final update!
DrForester said:
What a cool final update
"I’m thinking I’d like to do another Snapshots Galore post that allows shots including all the hidden characters right around the completion of the Smash Bros. Dojo site."

Try again. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom