• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 main characters run over 100K polys each

Salex_

Ready for more gameplay related announcements instead of eye candy bullet points.
Use google and read up on it until they show more footage. Someone asked a question on Twitter and he answered.

Slighty off topic: Why is everyone begging for more footage when other games that's being released around the same time period only has a CG trailer and little to no info? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Not even that many years ago, on PSOne, that was the entire scene per frame triangle budget if you were starting to push the machine hard.

I hope ppl stop judging the gameplay off the 2 seconds they saw. They probably didn't show much cus it's not ready. Hell we might have to wait till e3 to see anything significant.

On PS3 Beyond was 30k for main characters and it looked pretty amazing.

On PS4 The Dark Sorcerer was between 70k (Goblin) and 150k (Sorcerer), so 100k makes a lot of sense for this game. Seems like other developers like Quantic and ND are going to target a number >100k for their main characters on PS4.

i-Lo

While this thread is supposed to give a glimpse as to what can be expected from non-open world games in terms of character detail, it is slowly turning into yet another blow-back.

Last I checked, this is a new generation featuring new hardware with greater power and efficiency. Last gen characters like Nathan Drake's polycount was around 40K, this generation Marius from Ryse started with 150K but later got bumped down to 85K which is still a substantial upgrade over last gen. Better resource management means that the count will go up or tessellation may be used instead of conventional LOD down the line making that number utterly flexible. Finally, the rise in polycount can also be attributed to joints for face, clothes and armour which ultimately mean that they animate closer to actual muscles or fabric instead of folding paper (anyone remember Nariko's hair or long articles of clothing with non-curved folding animations?). In general more articulation.

In conclusion, it is a good thing. That said, I also wish for developers to come with creative ways to reduced obvious LoD shifts and object pop in (these issues are platform agnostic).

Darknight

Roll my eyes with "bu bu bu diminishing returns!".

We havent hit anything near that, on consoles. It may happen first on PC games but console games have a long ways to go (years) and this is the right direction that Sony/RAD is going for.

Seems like those who hold their biased close to their heart seem to always say something negative.

I'm looking forward to the game! but that sounds like a waste of cpu/gpu resources.

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within movie faq:

Final_Fantasy-Aki_maxim.jpg

WTF 400,000 polygons and no camel toe?

Seriously this looks terrible for that many polygons.

Well, and they also made sure these 100.00 polygons looks good.
Game looks impressive, especially the characters. Even if people don't think so. They're just wrong.

MercuryLS

Banned
Going to be lots of crow eating here come E3.

Yeah, they barely showed anything and everyone jumps to conclusions. If there's one thing I'm not worried about it's RAD and gameplay, these guys know what they're doing. I just wish the footage they showed went into the gameplay more.

UnrealEck

Big numbers yet I was unimpressed with the graphics shown in that gameplay demo. The characters were the only thing that I thought looked graphically top notch. That's before I even consider the frame rate and resolution with those big black bars.

Begaria

Meanwhile over at misterx:

"SONY LIES. best loking game is RYSE! Main characters have 85k polygons, but the game is running at 900p and the Fogrder 188shit runs 800p. How can this be insider? Must kep digingin..."

Insider: if u luk at blend face and joint count, RYSE still beats lolrder 188fog. wait til TR and stereo drivers, then sonygaf will burn!1

viveks86

Nice vertical gameplay slice, physics + destruction.

Yes please! And monsters? There better be monsters. You hear me, RAD? M.O.N.S.T.E.R.S! And Airships! Oooh ooooh and thermal imaging! I'm not able to visualize what a fictitious 1886 prototype would look like.

i-Lo

One other thing, iirc, an object with multiple joints that need to be rigged for proper animation bereft of clipping requires more polys in comparison to the same object if it was designed to have a single pose.

teknix

Neo Member
When you have a character with that many polys it usually means the environment size will suffer. So you will see (like we have so far) the characters in small rooms, tight hallways, and overall smaller locations on screen at any given time. The large open areas we saw in the trailer were all cg I think (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If that's how they've chosen to debut the gameplay footage, then it's perfectly fine for people to make a judgement based on that.
I think its fair to judge the footage but its not really fair to judge the entire game based off of a few seconds of footage when we already know there is more to the game than what was shown.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
IFinal Fantasy: Spirits Within movie faq:Sakaguchi intended to have Aki as Square Picture's "main star", with intentions to use her in later games and films by Square and the flexibility of being able to modify aspects such as her age for such appearances.

Final_Fantasy-Aki_maxim.jpg

It's funny as hell because whenever I read the bolded part all I see is "reusable assets".

Big numbers yet I was unimpressed with the graphics shown in that gameplay demo. The characters were the only thing that I thought looked graphically top notch. That's before I even consider the frame rate and resolution with those big black bars.

eh?

game looks like a total package to me. Everything from the shadow resolution to the post processing was top notch. the only thing missing atm is parallax occlusion mapping on the walls and the ground

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
When you have a character with that many polys it usually means the environment size will suffer. So you will see (like we have so far) the characters in small rooms, tight hallways, and overall smaller locations on screen at any given time. The large open areas we saw in the trailer were all cg I think (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Everything that has been shown has been real-time according to Sony.

I don't think so no. Even then the polycount increase is in line with the increased hardware performance. And The Last of Us had some pretty nice looking and open environments, so I think RaD will be fine. Open environments are not a question of graphics, but gameplay IMO.

Ishan

all inengine using ingame assets realtime. Dont think its too much. I mean if uc had 30k moving to 100k is three times from last gen . Seems reasonable. And Ryse did 85k too and this has about a year more dev time plus a more powerful console with a better dev environment.

Loudninja

Look at inFamous.

I dont think that means much.

Top Bottom