• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
It reminds me of being in some underground bar, sitting next to an overdressed man who is wafting his cigarette smoke through the air, the pinched corners of his mouth evidence enough that he is plotting something full of intrigue.

This is the best random digression ever.

Teknoman

It sounds like secret agent music right when the marker gets under the t in Flat. Before that it feels like something from Katamari or Chibi-Robo. Cant wait till we start seeing more stage diversity online.

kamikaze

so...why'd they make mr. game&watch and the flat zone 2 music secret but then make the music non-secret?

i guess they're catering to those one or two people in the world that won't make the connection between the music and the character/stage and not look at any secrets. sakurai can be so considerate! :D

turk128

Okay, I don't remember this tune at all from the bigass 300+ mp3 files.

And I think Sakurai has already started celebrating with the psychedelic drugs.

Tom_Cody

Sakurai said:
It reminds me of being in some underground bar, sitting next to an overdressed man who is wafting his cigarette smoke through the air, the pinched corners of his mouth evidence enough that he is plotting something full of intrigue.

...Well, those are just my idle thoughts.

If someone of GAF said that I would assume they were trolling for a tag.

Jiggy

Sorry for the lateness; I had to go to sleep early. And by "go to sleep" I mean "play Brawl for another four hours," of course.

-Flat Zone 2 is the 31st stage update on the Dojo, but the 35th stage shown. (Melee Stages Part 2, remember.) Jiggy has unlocked all 35 of those. There may or may not be more to come; spoiler people know which choice is the correct answer. >_>

-Just when I thought we were permanently done with music updates (given that the last one was "First Songs in My Music," which seems as good a place to end as any), the 25th shows up. So F-Zero and the Nintendo DS symbol are still the only "series" without music updates--a true shame since both have excellent music. >_>

-Tuesday reclaims the position of Stage Master, with 9 stage updates versus Fri-chan's 8. (Tuesday was the Music Master already, as well as having the greatest number of single updates and double updates.)

-Flat Zone 2 + Mr. Game & Watch: Flat Zone 2 is the 39th official double update.

-Our five least recent update types are Poke Ball, assist trophy, how to play, adventure mode, and normal item--but we won't be seeing any more normal items, of course, so make that last one a game mode.

-Bowser passes Lucas and ties with Zelda for number of screenshots; Captain Falcon ties with fellow nerf victim Sheik; Mr. Game & Watch breaks a tie with Falco to surpass him, Ness, and R.O.B.; the full Pokemon Trainer combo breaks a tie with Meta Knight; Donkey Kong moves from right behind Yoshi to right in front of him. My mind must be off or something, because I can't think of any Elizabethan commentary for this particular move. >_> So instead I'll say that Donkey Kong's rise has been pretty meteoric these past two months: 17 screenshots last month and 18 already this month have catapulted him to pretty crazy heights. Right now only Mario (235), Kirby (162), Wario (121), Link (104), Pit (98), and Samus (98) are ahead of him.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I just can't get excited about the masterpieces :/ It's a cool concept for a feature, but I don't like the implementation. Seriously, on most of these games you get to play for 40 seconds to a minute. It's so little time that it doesn't even feel worth it to boot em up =/

What they should have done was made it so each demo featured a specific level/portion of each game that you could play at your own leisure

Jiggy

It's the 43rd game mode. That's all there is to say.

Thankfully I forgot something yesterday: the Game & Watch franchise had hit five updates, passing Animal Crossing to tie with Yoshi, F-Zero, Ice Climber, and Pikmin.

And although it wasn't needed, confirmation that Earthbound was strangely snubbed. Why? Because Nintendo of America hates Mother fans. This was their revenge for the call-ins.

Sciz

Just popping in to say that if Sakurai's idle thoughts are always like that, he's got to have the best running commentary on everyday life going through his head of anyone on Earth.

And, because I require closure, that epic list of Sonic music I started for this thread a while back is finally finished. It kind of got too big, even for this thread. :(

And Jiggy, you inspired me to make the statistics section for it.

Iam Canadian

I'd like the demos a lot more if loading them didn't involve booting you out of Brawl. Seriously, I wouldn't mind loading up Super Metroid to have a quick fight with Ridley if I didn't have to reload Brawl all over again.

Kulock said:
And although it wasn't needed, confirmation that Earthbound was strangely snubbed. Why? Because Nintendo of America hates Mother fans. This was their revenge for the call-ins.

Nintendo of America hates Mother and its fans, that's always been the case. As a diehard Mother fan, it doesn't get less painful, either, no matter how often Nintendo snubs us.

Seriously, guys, the game was fully translated! There was absolutely no good reason to not have it in the American version of Brawl!

turk128

Kulock said:
You guys should use reverse psychology.

Teknoman

Iam Canadian said:
I'd like the demos a lot more if loading them didn't involve booting you out of Brawl. Seriously, I wouldn't mind loading up Super Metroid to have a quick fight with Ridley if I didn't have to reload Brawl all over again.

Nintendo of America hates Mother and its fans, that's always been the case. As a diehard Mother fan, it doesn't get less painful, either, no matter how often Nintendo snubs us.

Seriously, guys, the game was fully translated! There was absolutely no good reason to not have it in the American version of Brawl!

When the demos run out of time it sends you back to brawl. At least thats what Kirby's adventure did.

Only thing that sucks is for some reason they arent widescreen. So it isnt the same tech as VC...at least thats what im guessing.

Iam Canadian said:

Yeah, but thankfully it's not TOO bad.

I counted the loading times out of Metroid: right around 14 seconds from the green screen back to the Masterpieces listing, and then another 45 seconds or so to get from the Masterpieces listing back to the previous Vault menu.

So it's not too annoying, right around a minute of loading when all is said and done.

It's cool to relive some of these games, even if only for a minute, BTW. I probably would have never spent a second playing Ice Climber if not for this. :lol Not a fan of it, but still, it's pretty neat that it's there in the first place.

Teknoman

Narag said:
Earthbound and Fire Emblem masterpieces were removed for the NA release.

Well maybe with the huge amount of wii owners...and the people who will no doubt want to play the games that Lucas and Ness are from...we'll get Earthbound on the VC soon enough, and some sort of special GBA emu'd Mother 3 wiiware game?

Speaking of which, what happened to Earthbound 64?

EDIT: Nevermind, maybe that was better off not happening...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pcd9VnnXSQ

EDIT X2: Wait arent those the characters from final version that ended up becoming a GBA game?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Iam Canadian said:

You know, I heard this again and again, then I tried loading a Masterpiece myself ... it's not nearly as bad as everyone is making out. I had the impression the demo booted you to the Wii Menu, and you had to reload Brawl... but no, that's not the case at all.

As far as Earthbound goes... I do think something is going on that is beyond the silly "NOA hates it" theory. This would be content intentionally removed that NCL had to fully agree with... I have to assume this is more NCL than NOA at work.

Aside from length, I sort of like Brawl's way of handling Masterpieces. With Virtual Console games, I have to change my TV settings to make it 4:3 every time I decide to boot one up but I don't have that issue with Brawl.

webrunner

Teknoman said:
Well maybe with the huge amount of wii owners...and the people who will no doubt want to play the games that Lucas and Ness are from...we'll get Earthbound on the VC soon enough, and some sort of special GBA emu'd Mother 3 wiiware game?

Speaking of which, what happened to Earthbound 64?

EDIT: Nevermind, maybe that was better off not happening...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6pcd9VnnXSQ

EDIT X2: Wait arent those the characters from final version that ended up becoming a GBA game?

http://starmen.net/mother3/gameinfo/comparisons/

Iam Canadian

If Nintendo intended to use Brawl and its inclusion of Ness and Lucas as a starting point to relaunch the Mother series in North America, then they would have had Earthbound as a Masterpiece. It's not like Earthbound is an untranslated Japanese game like Fire Emblem - the game came out in North America.

I honestly can't think of any legitimate reason to not have Earthbound in there. And I'm sorry if I sound whiny or anything, because I love this game to pieces. It's just this one exclusion that irks me.

TreIII

Iam Canadian said:
If Nintendo intended to use Brawl and its inclusion of Ness and Lucas as a starting point to relaunch the Mother series in North America, then they would have had Earthbound as a Masterpiece. It's not like Earthbound is an untranslated Japanese game like Fire Emblem - the game came out in North America.

I honestly can't think of any legitimate reason to not have Earthbound in there. And I'm sorry if I sound whiny or anything, because I love this game to pieces. It's just this one exclusion that irks me.

I suppose the only legitimate reason that DOES exist...is if that "Mother/Earthbound Trilogy DS" rumor actually came to pass, and that the only reason Nintendo haven't put "EB0" and EB on the Virtual console by now (and furthermore, didn't just give us Mother 1+2 GBA translated), is that they'll be releasing the game with Mother 3 in tow in a collection.

Wouldn't really excuse the reason to not put EB on Brawl as a masterpiece (after all, the Japanese get FE3, in spite of the fact that the upcoming DS game will more than likely defeat the purpose of having FE3 on the VC at all), but again, I would like to think that the only reason Ninty are being such bastards to Mother fans, would be because they had a more "economical" solution in mind that would be worth the wait.

Hope springs eternally...no matter how much Reality continually tries to stomp on his neck. :D

Iam Canadian said:

Perhaps because EB's not on the VC?

NeonZ

Wouldn't really excuse the reason to not put EB on Brawl as a masterpiece (after all, the Japanese get FE3, in spite of the fact that the upcoming DS game will more than likely defeat the purpose of having FE3 on the VC at all)

There's no evidence at all that the DS game is a remake of FE3. It's a remake of FE1. And, no, FE3 wasn't just a FE1 remake (The FE1 remake part of FE3 is even missing characters and scenarios from the original...).

Teknoman said:
Thanks. Though now I just made myself want the game even more...
All this talk about the VC and Mother 3 really makes me wonder if there will ever be a Gameboy/GB Advance Virtual Console section. There really should be.

DavidDayton said:
You know, I heard this again and again, then I tried loading a Masterpiece myself ... it's not nearly as bad as everyone is making out. I had the impression the demo booted you to the Wii Menu, and you had to reload Brawl... but no, that's not the case at all.

As far as Earthbound goes... I do think something is going on that is beyond the silly "NOA hates it" theory. This would be content intentionally removed that NCL had to fully agree with... I have to assume this is more NCL than NOA at work.

WTF is it really removed or are people just assuming it is?

webrunner said:

Hmm. Would we have got that version of M3 if it released on the N64?

TreIII

xs_mini_neo said:
Hmm. Would we have got that version of M3 if it released on the N64?

If they ever got through all the glitches that plagued the N64/64DD version of the game, probably so.

But honestly, the only thing that I would stand to want to know, was how the story changed up from the 64 version to the GBA version. Itoi was quoted on the notion that he revised the story between the two releases, and I would have liked to see what the "early cuts" would have been like.

Especially if they would have done more to craft an overall happier ending for Claus...

Iam Canadian

Not that anyone seems to care, but the update is hidden Melee stages.

Yeah, boring, I know, but someone has to comment on this update, dang it.

Yes, Big Blue! I'm glad that's returned, I enjoyed it in Melee, broken though it may be. It was hilarious when a Pokémon was summoned, then it immediately zipped off the screen. Does that still happen in Brawl?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Iam Canadian said:
Yeah, boring, I know, but someone has to comment on this update, dang it.

:lol I came in here to do the same.... I've noticed how slowly this thread is moving now. Saddens me :(

SOOOOO lets liven things up and get good ol' DOJO DISCUSSION going! Yeah!!!

Um.. They did a decent job choosing melee stages for Brawl, I think. I kinda miss the old Majora's Mask stage as well as the Fountain of Dreams Kirby stage, but other than that nothing much sticks out.

Still wish they would have included some n64 stages :( (HYRULE CAAASSSSTLLEEE!!!)

Dreavus

MrCheez said:
:lol I came in here to do the same.... I've noticed how slowly this thread is moving now. Saddens me :(

SOOOOO lets liven things up and get good ol' DOJO DISCUSSION going! Yeah!!!

Um.. They did a decent job choosing melee stages for Brawl, I think. I kinda miss the old Majora's Mask stage as well as the Fountain of Dreams Kirby stage, but other than that nothing much sticks out.

Still wish they would have included some n64 stages :( (HYRULE CAAASSSSTLLEEE!!!)

(In before Firestorm clamors for Dreamland 64)

Saffron city too =(

Although, with the way the stage creator is set up, I think you can decently remake the Nintendo 64 stages. I made a Hyrule Castle 64 (I'm sure I'm not the first) that seems pretty darn close to the original, the only thing that I couldn't really replicate was that green structure on the right side. I just used that weird "arch" thing instead. And of course those wacky tornadoes can't be put in either. =P

Otherwise though, if you use "background 1" with just regular stone floors it's almost reminiscent of Hyrule castle's overall look. Set it to Ocarina of Time's Field theme and there ya go! :D

Man, making this makes me wish that custom stages could be played online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom