• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is getting massive and OP was never updated with the GIF that showed the rest of it? The source described it as a single area that looked bad.

ibtAnGuwing9ii.gif

This GIF has really been bugging me because the large white balls of sparks when the car so much as gently touches anything just look weird to me. When the car hits the other car in the intersection is is very jarring as well, just looks wrong to me.

Just for the sake of comparison:

GTAV:

Sleeping Dogs:
Still a tough comparison as GTAV runs at 20fps in many high speed scenarios and chases and action and generally whenever you're having fun, and I'm guessing that Sleeping Dogs footage is from the PC version maxed out (on better hardware than I have).

That bit of Watch_Dogs looks pretty good, but more than anything I wonder how it'll perform.

TheCloser

Banned
GTA5 has a very low car density on road, aliasing is everywhere, and the game runs in low-20s during city car chases.

GTA looks just as good. It is a bigger game in scope and it's a better game as well. I don't see your point especially because GTA is running on a PS3.

Hmm, to be honest, I do think WD definitely has better graphics than either GTA V or Sleeping Dogs. GTA V probably has a better realised world though and I am sure the next gen version will probably look more attractive than WD.

TheCloser

Banned
how do you know this? did you finished WD already?

Nope, but i'm 100% sure that GTA will turn out to be the better game in my opinion. Everything i've seen about Watch Dogs story seems cheesy to me. Its my opinion though so its subjective. If we were to evaluate the game as whole, GTA would be better. I'm sure the reviews will agree with my train of thought. GTA has a metacritic of 97, Watch Dogs is not beating that. In fact, i expect it to be a minimum of 10 points lower if not 20.

VanWinkle

This thread is getting massive and OP was never updated with the GIF that showed the rest of it? The source described it as a single area that looked bad.

ibtAnGuwing9ii.gif

Is that from the same video as the GIF in the OP is? I feel like the OP is kind of misleading, then, since that GIF you just posted here looks great. At the very least, WAY better than the GIF in the OP implies.

TyrantII

GTAV:
ioKpL3H3GsalN.gif

Sleeping Dogs:
i8vrhWqja1vjK.gif

Yup, I love people throwing down 500X300 GIF's as if it saves the game somehow from the current criticisms leveled at it.

GIFs are good to show, and especially highlight, dynamics or gameplay over and over quickly. They're terrible at discerning IQ and GFX, which is the main point being discussed here.

It's never going to show the issues with low resolution textures, 720P, low polygon models, or other graphical issues. It's fraking super-super sampling a 1080P source after all (sometimes lower).

GTA5 has a very low car density on road, aliasing is everywhere, and the game runs in low-20s during city car chases.

But just look at that GIF!

:)

chadskin

Still a tough comparison as GTAV runs at 20fps in many high speed scenarios and chases and action and generally whenever you're having fun, and I'm guessing that Sleeping Dogs footage is from the PC version maxed out (on better hardware than I have).

That bit of Watch_Dogs looks pretty good, but more than anything I wonder how it'll perform.

GTA V on PS4 will look like GTA IV with the ENB mod

2409244-0131663464-untit.gif

:p

meanspartan

My particular concern is that the shooting gameplay just reminds me of Bioshock Infinite a bit. Now, I loved Infinite, my second or third favorite game last year. But most can agree that the gameplay mechanics were decent at best, and some would be far less kind than that. Gonna spoiler-tag what I mean out of mostly an abundance of caution, even if you haven't played Infinite the trailers probably expose this but just being safe.

In Infinite, you can use Elizabeth to bring in or change something in the environment through her powers. In battle, this amounts to clicking a button prompt and 'poof' you get your change in the environment or bring in a turret or whatever.

Watch Dogs has been making much about it's "hacking" in battle, but the gameplay I've seen just reminds me of Infinite. See a prompt to turn off traffic lights or whatever, click the button, environment changes. And to me, that is kind of lackluster. Granted I don't know what I expected, it's not like they could make hacking anything significant or involved and have it still be fun.

Sanctuary

So now that "downgradeton" seems to be the new buzzord on GAF, how would you actually pronounce that? Looks like it's missing an i after the t. It could have just been left at downgraded.
I know, something stupid to bother mentioning, but if we're making up words...

Guys did we ever figure out why the story trailer looks blurry even though its 200+MB(Gamersyde ver)? I know the game is confirmed 1080p on ps4. Is it a video issue?

Soriku

So now that "downgradeton" seems to be the new buzzord on GAF, how would you actually pronounce that? Looks like it's missing an i after the t. It could have just been left at downgraded.

Like megaton, except it's downgrade with "aton" at the end.

meanspartan

GTA had the story, Sleeping Dogs was close behind with some good combat.

I give story to Sleeping Dogs too though. Yeah it was entirely predictable, we have seen the whole
deep undercover cop goes rogue
thing before, but it was focused and still managed to be entertaining. GTA 5 had some better individual characters, but overall the story was disjointed and didn't flow well in my opinion.

Any way, back on topic. I haven't followed for a day or two, is there any consensus here now that the downgradeapallooza was a bit overstated? Ya that Gif looked baaaaad but the rest of the video was much better. E3 2012 reveal was bullshit but we knew that already.

UX Genes

The gameplay that Gamespot (and others) have posted looks awful graphically.

The Story trailer looks good to me. Idk what you mf's are smoking.

After quite a bit of searching i finally found the high-bitrate 2012 trailer because shacknews got shut down and they originally had it. But for people that might not know what some of us are talking about:

igvYO7GGekWR8.png

iNMsF8foDOEkz.png

Apart from the first (recent) shot being blurred to high hell, the jacket isn't as detailed.

I'm working on a huge WD graphics comparison thread and i have most of the trailers in hq (no YT). Should be done by tomorrow.

After quite a bit of searching i finally found the high-bitrate 2012 trailer because shacknews got shut down and they originally had it. But for people that might not know what some of us are talking about:

I'm working on a huge WD graphics comparison thread and i have most of the trailers in hq (no YT). Should be done by tomorrow.

Could you please link to high bitrate 2012 trailer? I've been looking for it for quite a while now and found nothing. Gamersyde's backup server doesn't seem to work for me for some reason.

Call me crazy but I liked Sleeping Dogs a hell of a lot more than GTA V, and I don't just mean the graphics.

It was probably my favorite sandbox game of the entire generation. I'd happily throw another $60 at it if they ported it to PS4, even though I've played through it several times on PC.

Could you please link to high bitrate 2012 trailer? I've been looking for it for quite a while now and found nothing. Gamersyde's backup server doesn't seem to work for me for some reason.

Sure it's right here:

http://www.playerattack.com/file/23165/Watch-Dogs---E3-2012-B-Roll-Video/
http://www.playerattack.com/file/23183/Watch-Dogs---E3-2012-B-Roll-Video-Part-2/
http://www.playerattack.com/file/23181/Watch-Dogs---E3-2012-B-Roll-Video-Part-3/

Slow as hell to download though, it took me a while.

kvn

GTAV:
ioKpL3H3GsalN.gif

Funny thing is, this was also degraded heavily compared to the initial trailers. Motion blur and foliage, for example. Though GTA still looks brilliant...

GTA, Dark Souls, Watch Dogs... Love it.

TyrantII

igvYO7GGekWR8.png

iNMsF8foDOEkz.png

Apart from the first (recent) shot being blurred to high hell, the jacket isn't as detailed.

No tiny misleading GIF's please. Look forward to it.

I'm still trying to understand the Ubi claim that the game is running 1080P30, when the videos captured recently are most obviously NOT.

Ploid 3.0

Funny thing is, this was also degraded heavily compared to the initial trailers. Motion blur and foliage, for example. Though GTA still looks brilliant...

GTA, Dark Souls, Watch Dogs... Love it.

The framerate of that gif looks spot on for speeding in the city in GTAV though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom