• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs downgradeaton confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wifininja

Neo Member
Just a thought if the paint job on the car was different say like a matte paint wouldn't that explain the supposed down grade on the lighting?

I did notice the lower detail in explosions but so far that's about it.

Haven't seen it actually. Sorta on blackout. Trying not to watch any story related stuff until the game comes out. Just curious in seeing the visual changes with screenshots ect.

Here is some gameplay footage, with small cuts of the trailer if you do wish to check it out:

http://www.everyeye.it/ps4/videogiochi/watch-dogs_21823#video

Also, while I am sure many devs didnt know the final specs of the PS4 before 2013, literally nobody thought it was going to have a GTX 680 equivalent. The final specs were actually higher than most were predicting, 6 months before the reveal. Some were saying a 6850 actually with 2-4 gb...

Nokterian

It's true though. Reading threads like these, it's no wonder gamers get called entitled so often.

Jezus christ just stop posting you don't know what your saying.

So we have to all agree and pray on our knees saying yes to developers to fool us? Fuck no.

butman

People are upset and rightly so! This shitty practise of "Target Renders", in other words, "fabricated visuals to trick your customers into believing your game looks a certain way that's not representative of the final product" is pretty outrageous. EVEN MORE SO if companies have the nerve to sell those target renders as actual gameplay. This is deception at its finest!

Target Renders should be banned from previews/from the E3 stage once and for all.

OR they need to be labeled as such: "This is not real gameplay footage", "These are not the final graphics", "This is not running on target hardware" etc. Publishers should stop demoing those fake "target renders" with real console controllers, only to make it look like they are playing the game on target hardware. This is some borderline deceptive bullshit!

Do they think gamers are stupid and will never find out or be ok with it? Ubisoft deserve all the flak they get and hopefully serve as an example for other publishers, which clearly are to blame as well.

#SayNoToTargetRenders
#StopFalseAdvertisement

Sacred words that must be spread!

All this mess reminds me the of Killzone 2 intro sequence between E3 2006 and E3 2007 footage.

Video >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2iw1x7oVIY (Didn't find a best quality)

It was maded by Gametrailers, that makes me wonder why this time they doesn't do the same thing with Watch Dog. This must be spread! Enought of Target Renders!

The demo from 2012 wasn not an official PS4 demo. High-end PC.

Jonathan Morrin, the creative director, said there has been no degradation in quality from the 2012 trailer whatsoever. He specifically even said:

"There's no scale down in quality, especially the next-gen versions,"

The only way for your argument to be true is that he was deliberately misleading people by saying in the back of his mind "little do they know the PS4 version looked like shit from the beginning". For all intents and purposes the E3 2012 demo was marketed as the standard one for next-gen consoles.

But at any rate, it's pointless to argue to such fine detail. Ubisoft already has a history of falsely marketing target renders as real gameplay with Far Cry 3.

People are upset and rightly so! This shitty practise of "Target Renders", in other words, "fabricated visuals to trick your customers into believing your game looks a certain way that's not representative of the final product" is pretty outrageous. EVEN MORE SO if companies have the nerve to sell those target renders as actual gameplay. This is deception at its finest!

Target Renders should be banned from previews/from the E3 stage once and for all.

OR they need to be labeled as such: "This is not real gameplay footage", "These are not the final graphics", "This is not running on target hardware" etc. Publishers should stop demoing those fake "target renders" with real console controllers, only to make it look like they are playing the game on target hardware. This is some borderline deceptive bullshit!

Do they think gamers are stupid and will never find out or be ok with it? Ubisoft deserve all the flak they get and hopefully serve as an example for other publishers, which clearly are to blame as well.

#SayNoToTargetRenders
#StopFalseAdvertisement

Oooh oooh are we making this a Twitter thing? I love GAF activism (GAFtivism?) hehe

Symax

From the article:
"There's no scale down in quality, especially the next-gen versionn. It's pretty much the opposite. What we showed at E3 2012 in a lot of respects was less good. I think it's in the details. So no, there's no scale down."

His statement is really vague. About what kind of "quality" is he talking there? This is clearly PR bulshit and i don't like his attitude. It cant be a graphical improvement. Digtal Foundry already proved that. Anyways this one is the official statement for now and the PC version seems to be superior:

m3TXu8Q.jpg

Camp Lo

Banned
Okay... so every game should never be shown until a month out because the target frame rate and content is never fully realized until the very end.

It's more about disclosure than what he's saying, which is what was meant by the post he is supporting.

Yeah, this thread took a turn I can't support.
I'm not really sure when this became a thing but there was a time not long ago when developers would show off their games early and the final product would look as good or better than the reveal.

IIRC it seemed like this whole problem with bullshots and unrealistic target renders started during E3 2005 and 2006 as has gotten a ton worse over the last couple of years. It shouldn't be so hard to make an accurate approximation of what your game will look like once you're gotten it up running long enough to create a demo. It certainly shouldn't get worse looking as development continues either.

Okay... so every game should never be shown until a month out because the target frame rate and content is never fully realized until the very end.

What is it about:

"OR they need to be labeled as such: "This is not real gameplay footage", "These are not the final graphics", "This is not running on target hardware" etc. Publishers should stop demoing those fake "target renders" with real console controllers, only to make it look like they are playing the game on target hardware. This is some borderline deceptive bullshit!"

you don't understand? Why are people prepared to bend over for these practices from publishers?

FiggyCal

Banned
I'm not really sure when this became a thing but there was a time not long ago when developers would show off their games early and the final product would look as good or better than the reveal.

IIRC it seemed like this whole problem with bullshots and unrealistic target renders started during E3 2005 and 2006 as has gotten a ton worse over the last couple of years. It shouldn't be so hard to make an accurate approximation of what your game will look like once you're gotten it up running long enough to create a demo. It certainly shouldn't get worse looking as development continues either.

I think some are getting carried away and starting a campaign about an issue that isn't really as big as some think. Maybe if this problem was more widespread, I could get on with this. But I can't even think of that many games that have lied to this degree in the past few years. Going on twitter to complain about it:

1. Makes publishers less willing to release gameplay footage early
2. Makes us look silly (especially if the game isn't "downgraded")
3. Gives Neogaf a further bad name from people who already think we shouldn't be taken seriously.
4. Doesn't change anything because these trailers aren't made just for Neogaf.

I'm not closed minded. I can be convinced that the cause is valid; I'm just not seeing it.

chadskin

I think some are getting carried away and starting a campaign about an issue that isn't really as big as some think. Maybe if this problem was more widespread, I could get on with this. But I can't even think of that many games that have lied to this degree in the past few years. Going on twitter to complain about it:

3. Gives Neogaf a further bad name from people who already think we shouldn't be taken seriously.

I'm not closed minded. I can be convinced that the cause is valid; I'm just not seeing it.

Well:
ibt8n4J6FpZ513.png

(-> Dark Souls 2 downgradeaton thread has more)

There's also a thread about games with the biggest downgrades since reveal with some more examples: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780392

I agree that this particular game is an extreme example (and may end up not being as downgraded as it appears) but we see a lot of games being misrepresented in previews in more subtle ways all the time. The most common is to show the game in videos and media running either at a higher resolution, higher framerate or sometimes both. Screen tearing, aliasing and other graphical imperfections are masked in trailers and the PC versions of games get shown at trade shows even when that version is scheduled to be released months after the consoles versions.

I think that these practices weren't a huge deal in the past because realistically most of us knew what the PS3 and 360 were capable of running so games that looked or performed at rates well beyond the norm were regarded with a grain of salt. But it seems like some developers really took advantage for people's expectations about next gen to oversell them on what the consoles would be capable of running at launch which is why we've reached the level of outrage you see here.

Burgerface

Neo Member

#SayNoToTargetRenders
#StopFalseAdvertisement

Totally agree, and this doesn't mean we don't want to see target renders. I still want companies to show us that stuff just label it correctly.

Shadownet

Banned
So I have a question. If Ubisoft have focused the production of Watch Dogs on PC and port it down to console. Would the PC and this-gen version be a lot better, since it's not being hold down by last gen?

What exactly is the point of that comparison video? Why would you compare a beefed up PC build to a console build? Did people seriously believe the PC and console versions would have equal fidelity?

Lng0004

Disappointed with downgraded graphics? Sure! But if the gameplay makes up for it, I'm all in. I'm still playing and enjoying "last-gen" games, so this isn't too bad.

Amerika

Neo Member
I don't quite understand some of the animosity here. The 2012 demo was never stated as being for next gen, everyone knew it was running on PC's and that's that. At no point was it advertised as anything other than what it was. Also, it might have been slotted as a "next-gen" only title but the hardware specifics were not known other than basic targets.

They came up with what they did using guestimate targets and most likely, at some point, the bean counters figured out that doing next gen/PC would lower sales. So they scaled the game back graphically and lowered the scope so that it would still work with the PS3/360 and not have to double the work or make certain scenes nearly impossible. This is not the first time that has happened with a game.

So I don't get why people would be upset and calling for the ban of "target renders" as long as it's not being used to advertise the product currently. All that will happen is games will stop being shown in advance. This seems awfully similar to what happened to the mess that was Bioshock Infinite before it got cleaned up, scope reduced and actually shipped out. Sure, it wasn't representative of what was shown but at least the tone was right and the game turned out rather well IMO.

Lunar15

Not sure why this deserves a hashtag campaign. It's not as if Ubisoft showed off a different version of the game up until release. They blatantly showed us how the current product is.

It's up to the buyer at that point to determine if it's up to a quality worth his or her 60 bucks. There's no lack of info here, no one's getting "tricked" out of any of their money.

yeh but Dark Souls 1 port tho

well they promised they'd put a lot more effort in the pc port this time around

since the early demos and the stuff people played at events all had the new lighting it should really be in there on pc...
removing it on pc would be really arbitrary (for what? parity with 8+ year old consoles?... pfff)

the lighting added a lot to the atmosphere in the trailers, it would be a crying shame if it's not in the final version on pc

if they release this one with another framerate cap, low res post effects , no proper lighting etc then fuck em
I hope they do the right thing

Shadownet

Banned
Not sure why this deserves a hashtag campaign. It's not as if Ubisoft showed off a different version of the game up until release. They blatantly showed us how the current product is.

It's up to the buyer at that point to determine if it's up to a quality worth his or her 60 bucks. There's no lack of info here, no one's getting "tricked" out of any of their money.

What about your average consumers that don't do much research? All they know is Watch Dogs supposed to have this amazing next gen graphic, and then they buy the game, go home and play to discovered that's it's not what they thought it would be.

Sure they could do a better job at researching, but not everyone is like people on Gaf.

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't quite understand some of the animosity here. The 2012 demo was never stated as being for next gen, everyone knew it was running on PC's and that's that. At no point was it advertised as anything other than what it was. Also, it might have been slotted as a "next-gen" only title but the hardware specifics were not known other than basic targets.

They came up with what they did using guestimate targets and most likely, at some point, the bean counters figured out that doing next gen/PC would lower sales. So they scaled the game back graphically and lowered the scope so that it would still work with the PS3/360 and not have to double the work or make certain scenes nearly impossible. This is not the first time that has happened with a game.

So I don't get why people would be upset and calling for the ban of "target renders" as long as it's not being used to advertise the product currently. All that will happen is games will stop being shown in advance. This seems awfully similar to what happened to the mess that was Bioshock Infinite before it got cleaned up, scope reduced and actually shipped out. Sure, it wasn't representative of what was shown but at least the tone was right and the game turned out rather well IMO.

Yeah really, I've turned around on this a lot. I agree with everything you posted. Now the 2013 E3 demo, which doesn't look as good as the 2012 demo, was said to be running on a PS4 dev-kit. The footage we have now (and the Aisha Tyler trailer) certainly seems a lot worse than what we were told the PS4 was capable of, but if the creative dev said there is no downgrade -- then I think we should give him the benefit of the doubt. But to be clear: they said that the E3 demo was running on PS4 hardware.

I don't agree with the twitter campaign because I don't agree with the cause. I'm not going to insult anyone pushing it, but this kind of thing has more negative effects on Neogaf, the internet, and videogame fans than it does positive.

Lunar15

What about your average consumers that don't do much research? All they know is Watch Dogs supposed to have this amazing next gen graphic, and then they buy the game, go home and play to discovered that's it's not what they thought it would be.

Sure they could do a better job at researching, but not everyone is like people on Gaf.

If they didn't bother to do any research, they probably have no idea what it looked like in the first place and think that the new footage looks fine. But these are hypothetical situations we're talking about. If someone doesn't do their research before the purchase, and all the info is out, then congrats: they have total responsibility for what they purchased.

But I dunno, all of this is just so silly. I'm not saying ubi's in the right for downgrading anything, but at the same time the overreaction just seems so fierce. It's less of an outrage and more of a shame. Here's hoping the game will be great.

The bigger fear that I have is that if there's so much outrage over everything, it becomes easier to ignore it when there should be outrage. It's the boy who cried wolf scenario.

Pandemic

Have they said where the footage was played on that was released recently? Especially the gif. on the first page, which platform was that played on?

If they didn't bother to do any research, they probably have no idea what it looked like in the first place and think that the new footage looks fine. But these are hypothetical situations we're talking about. If someone doesn't do their research before the purchase, and all the info is out, then congrats: they have total responsibility for what they purchased.

But I dunno, all of this is just so silly. I'm not saying ubi's in the right for downgrading anything, but at the same time the overreaction just seems so fierce. It's less of an outrage and more of a shame. Here's hoping the game will be great.

The bigger fear that I have is that if there's so much outrage over everything, it becomes easier to ignore it when there should be outrage. It's the boy who cried wolf scenario.

So the solution is to stay by the sidelines and keep quiet? This kind of apathy will cause more harm than good. It not just the user that is affected right here, you are ignoring that the publisher that is reaping the rewards based on that "responsibility". You're deliberately trying to victimize consumers with goodwill instead of trying to plug the source of the problem. Might as well be waving your flag from the publisher defending such faulty practices because it's all about supporting them, right?

chadskin

That's an arrogant statement, really. The game was shown off at the reveal of the new PlayStation, at E3 and in Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, three events that have a reach way beyond the typical hardcore gamer crowd. Meanwhile, the release date announcement trailer came and went last week. You have to browse gaming websites in particular to take notice of it. And not everyone's doing it, that's just the way it is. Don't blame the customer, man.

Even if you do see the trailer, you can be easily mislead because Ubisoft never clarified in the trailer which version they're showing off. That leads to YouTube comments on the story trailer like these:
This is PS3 and 360 gameplay.....ain't no way they scaled it back that much. This game looked flawless on the live demo on Jimmy Fallon

The next thing the Average Joe will see of the game, though, will likely be TV ads and whatnot, to remind him, "Hey, that awesome game with tons of awards you saw at Jimmy Fallon? Yeah, that's coming out now, better rush to the store, bro!" And if there really was a downgrade in graphics to the degree we're fearing based on the footage released last week, you can bet your life on it that they won't tell you in these ads.

What exactly is the point of that comparison video? Why would you compare a beefed up PC build to a console build? Did people seriously believe the PC and console versions would have equal fidelity?

How do you exactly know the original was pushing the PC to the max though? It seemed pretty smooth. I mean I don't see much in that footage which blows me away apart from the scripting, which won't be as smooth in the real game anyway. Lighting is good, but reminds me of Forza 5 with very high HDR. I mean I think it looks great, but there are better looking games in production than that initial reveal to me...

Marcel

So you're telling me... there are people who only liked watch_dogs for the graphics when it was first showed?

Atmosphere is really important to an open-world game, especially when most Ubisoft open world games are mediocre to bad in the gameplay/mission structure department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom