• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Boomerang? What's your opinion TODAY?!

While many people think it looks bad, at least it's not so bad that anyone should be embarrassed to have it laying around, for fear that guests may think it's used for "alternative" reasons.

Really, the most important thing for me is ergonomics. Don't we use controllers to "control" the game? While many people love the current Sixaxis/DS3, there are still others who hate it. The DBA(dead before arrival) Doomerang looks like it may have accommodated both small and large hands. Smaller hands grasp nearer the top, while larger hands have more grip to work with. It could have been the best of both worlds, but now we may never know.

what the fuck was they thinking anyway? I guess they truly didn't wanted to get 1upped by nintendo when they said they had a "new controller".

something tells me im not too far off. :/

KevinCow

Banned
It looks as silly as it did back then, but it probably would've been more ergonomic than the Dual Shock.

Hey Sony, your controller wasn't comfortable back in '95, and it still isn't comfortable. I'd say it managed to get even less comfortable when the left stick was put in the wrong position and the analog triggers were made to curve downwards instead of upwards.

Bildi

topsyturvy said:
what the fuck was they thinking anyway? I guess they truly didn't wanted to get 1upped by nintendo when they said they had a "new controller".

something tells me im not too far off. :/
I'm guessing that if Sony just released the PS3 with the Dual Shock everyone would have screamed at Sony for using the same controller yet again.

My theory is that the sole purpose of the boomerang was so everyone would hail Sony as awesome for listening to gamers and aborting the boomerang in favour of the Dual Shock.

Darkpen

Banned
boomerang.jpg

http://kotaku.com/343162/want-to-get-a-boomerang-ps3-controller

EDIT: Beaten by second page :(

Excuse me as I cry in the corner

You know the 'Kotaku' boomerang knock-off? I just bought one:

i9TWx.jpg

3hXFW.jpg

RvWYw.jpg

STzvS.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. This thing is made by "ProGamer" and was AUD$29.95 in a 2-in-1 pack that included a PS3 component cable. As a means of comparison, the RRP of the Sixaxis is AUD$79.95. It connects via USB, has no tilt or rumble, has all of the normal buttons including a PS button (lit up in red), and has "turbo" and "macro" buttons (turbo for rapid fire, macro allows you to program in a button combo and execute it by pressing a single button).

Anyway, I saw this thing in Target and had to buy it. I'd always thought that the Sony boomerang controller looked pretty comfortable and was disappointed when they dropped it. Was I right? After five straight hours of gaming, the answer is (mostly) yes.

This thing is the most comfortable controller I've held; that animated Sony gif was absolutely right. When you think about where your elbows are in relation to your wrists when you're holding a controller, and the way your hands would fall if you relaxed them, you can see why the boomerang shape makes sense. Well I can tell you that the theory is right, and it's obvious the moment you actually put your hands on the controller (so much so it's kind of disconcerting). It now feels unnatural (almost like a chore) when I hold my other controllers - which is a shame for reasons I will talk about later.

So why only "(mostly) yes"? If you look at the last pic of my controller, you can see that in profile the controller is very similar to the Sixaxis and its clones (e.g. Logitech PS2 controllers). And that's the problem. With the boomerang, the Sixaxis (due to convex L2/R2), and my wireless Logitech PS2 controllers, I generally use my triggers fingers on all L and R buttons, and use my middle fingers underneath to support the controller, whereas with the old DualShock2 I tend to use my ring fingers to support the controller and use my middle fingers on L2/R2.

The boomerang suffers from the same problem as the Sixaxis (for me), in that after a while (5 hours?) my middle fingers start to ache from supporting the controller. I don't know if the Sony boomerang featured a similar profile to this ProGamer one or not; hopefully not because this is the only downside to the ProGamer comfort wise. I can't stress how easy it is to hold though, my wrists feel relaxed the whole time.

Finally, what are the actual buttons and sticks like? Well the layout feels very nice, all are easy to get to and nicely placed. The little sticks are cool, I actually prefer them to the bigger sticks on the Sixaxis. The L and R buttons are OK, at least your fingers don't slide off L2 and R2 as they do on the Sixaxis.

The biggest disappointment with this controller is how crappy the quality on this ProGamer one is. The buttons are all dodgey (it sometimes take me three loud, clicky presses of L2 or R2 before I actually change gears in GT5P, and the face buttons are just as bad) and the d-pad is so unreliable I started navigating menus using the analog stick rather than the d-pad. The sticks also suck majorly with large deadspots (which is a big problem on such little sticks!) and seemingly non-uniform response across their range of motion. The sticks especially are a shame, because the size and tension on the sticks just feel so right! But the sensors are horrible.

Yes this controller was cheap, but I couldn't in all honesty recommend it to anybody, the quality is just that bad. At the moment it is only good for one thing, and that's reinforcing how comfortable the Sony boomerang would have been. The worst thing is that it's made all other controllers feel uncomfortable to me, and yet they're the ones I now have to use :(

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
same as it was back when it was announced:

LOL double boomerang dildo, but damn if it doesn't look more comfy than the dualshock

FightyF

Banned
Always thought it was great, and I always will...until someone tells me that they held it and it sucked.

If Sony released limited edition DS3s in that shape, I'd buy it fo sho!

Slavik81

Core407 said:
I wanted to try it.
This.

At least it was an attempt to improve their controller form factor. I'd really like to be able to wrap my hands around the DS3 rather than holding it with just my fingers tips.

antiloop said:
I hate you all for making Sony cancel the boomerang. Even that black copy-cat controller looks sexy.
For the benefit of anyone who doesn't feel like reading my wall o'text: yes, the black boomerang copy-cat is awesome to hold. And the boomerang would have been better.

Xun

I always thought it looked comfortable, and all they needed to do would be to change the design slightly (to shut people up) and all would be good.

robor

endlessflood said:
You know the 'Kotaku' boomerang knock-off? I just bought one:
voq1zs.jpg

qpqfr4.jpg

2dc6gc2.jpg

rc7s6a.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. This thing is made by "ProGamer" and was AUD$29.95 in a 2-in-1 pack that included a PS3 component cable. As a means of comparison, the RRP of the Sixaxis is AUD$79.95. It connects via USB, has no tilt or rumble, has all of the normal buttons including a PS button (lit up in red), and has "turbo" and "macro" buttons (turbo for rapid fire, macro allows you to program in a button combo and execute it by pressing a single button).

Anyway, I saw this thing in Target and had to buy it. I'd always thought that the Sony boomerang controller looked pretty comfortable and was disappointed when they dropped it. Was I right? After five straight hours of gaming, the answer is (mostly) yes.

This thing is the most comfortable controller I've held; that animated Sony gif was absolutely right. When you think about where your elbows are in relation to your wrists when you're holding a controller, and the way your hands would fall if you relaxed them, you can see why the boomerang shape makes sense. Well I can tell you that the theory is right, and it's obvious the moment you actually put your hands on the controller (so much so it's kind of disconcerting). It now feels unnatural (almost like a chore) when I hold my other controllers - which is a shame for reasons I will talk about later.

So why only "(mostly) yes"? If you look at the last pic of my controller, you can see that in profile the controller is very similar to the Sixaxis and its clones (e.g. Logitech PS2 controllers). And that's the problem. With the boomerang, the Sixaxis (due to convex L2/R2), and my wireless Logitech PS2 controllers, I generally use my triggers fingers on all L and R buttons, and use my middle fingers underneath to support the controller, whereas with the old DualShock2 I tend to use my ring fingers to support the controller and use my middle fingers on L2/R2.

The boomerang suffers from the same problem as the Sixaxis (for me), in that after a while (5 hours?) my middle fingers start to ache from supporting the controller. I don't know if the Sony boomerang featured a similar profile to this ProGamer one or not; hopefully not because this is the only downside to the ProGamer comfort wise. I can't stress how easy it is to hold though, my wrists feel relaxed the whole time.

Finally, what are the actual buttons and sticks like? Well the layout feels very nice, all are easy to get to and nicely placed. The little sticks are cool, I actually prefer them to the bigger sticks on the Sixaxis. The L and R buttons are OK, at least your fingers don't slide off L2 and R2 as they do on the Sixaxis.

The biggest disappointment with this controller is how crappy the quality on this ProGamer one is. The buttons are all dodgey (it sometimes take me three loud, clicky presses of L2 or R2 before I actually change gears in GT5P, and the face buttons are just as bad) and the d-pad is so unreliable I started navigating menus using the analog stick rather than the d-pad. The sticks also suck majorly with large deadspots (which is a big problem on such little sticks!) and seemingly non-uniform response across their range of motion. The sticks especially are a shame, because the size and tension on the sticks just feel so right! But the sensors are horrible.

Yes this controller was cheap, but I couldn't in all honesty recommend it to anybody, the quality is just that bad. At the moment it is only good for one thing, and that's reinforcing how comfortable the Sony boomerang would have been. The worst thing is that it's made all other controllers feel uncomfortable to me, and yet they're the ones I now have to use :(

Interesting.....it would be nice to find a better quality version of it. It's a shame they didn't go with it.

Top Bottom