• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Boomerang? What's your opinion TODAY?!

I think it was a horrible design I definitely was not down with that thing. It also pissed me off when people thought it looked cool and different how in the hell could you like that design?

It just looks so damn ugly and curvy it reminds of how much I hate the roundish look of all these new cars like the Toyota Prius.
prius.jpg

I would go as far as not even buying a ps3 at all with a controller like that. I'm so glad they went back to the old design. I'm just waiting on the DS3 now.

JCX

I would like to try it at least. The dualshock controllers are perfectly generic, but a bit uncomfortable for long playtimes.

j-wood

I'm glad they decided to stick with the classic controller. It's about as close to perfection as you can get.

On a side note, when you guys hold the dual shock, do you put 4 fingers on top or just 2? I just use my two index fingers, but it seems it was more suited to put 4 fingers on top.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
j-wood said:
On a side note, when you guys hold the dual shock, do you put 4 fingers on top or just 2? I just use my two index fingers, but it seems it was more suited to put 4 fingers on top.

i switch off, but usually i use 2 fingers. Middle fingers aren't very quick compared to index fingers.

MercuryLS

Banned
I would have never bought a PS3 if that was the standard controller.

I still hate the DS design though, but it's still better than POS.

arhra

Actually managed to look like it wouldn't be an improvement over the old dualshock design.

Which is a pretty impressive (or possibly depressing) achievement, when you think about it.

medrew

Wow, after only two years and it already looks like something from the early 90's.

I do wonder if Sony ever intended to release it or if they wanted something to display that should a total 'evolution' of the next console cycle. You can talk about cell all you like but put a prototype controller on display and people will get more from it as they visually identify with it.

Mamesj

Banned
the L and R buttons are directly above the analog sticks, which looks very uncomfortable. The controller would need a larger width for that set up to work, but nobody wants another big duke.

Dai Kaiju

I always thought it looked sleak and modern. Probably not too comfy though. I'm not sure why it got so much hate, but I don't really care because "dildorang" is now my favorite word.

Pachinko

I still think the boomerang controller is definitive proof that the tilt sensor being in the controller was an idea decided without simply ripping off nintendo. I mean the boomerang LOOKS like late 90's era PC tilt controller having actual handles to allow for more immersive tilting and such.

All that said though I don't think I'd want to use that thing to actually play a game with.

dude

dude
Looks ugly and uncomfortable... I don't like the dual shock controller all that much as well though...

decon

So so stupid that they didn't let a few gamers have they hands on it before canceling it. I don't care about the looks of it if it's a great controller.

When I saw the actual size of the controller, I went from thinking it was a horrible idea to being interested. I would have liked to see how well it worked.

But basically, anything would have been better than the Dual Shock design again.

Slavik81

I've never liked the DualShock. It's too small to hold like a normal controller, and the shape is not particularly comfortable.

The banana design they were showing off at first is more appeeling. It seems to fix both those problems.

Rotanibor

I pooped on it like everybody else at the time. But I did hear that it was comfortable to hold apparently, and in the end I would have liked to try it out.

relaxor

what?
I'd be interested to at least try that one out.
The Playstation controller has just never been at all comfortable to me. It wasn't so bad in the first generation, because there wasn't much use for the Analog sticks when they came around, but from PS2 on it's just been all bad. They're flimsy and fall apart, the R/Ls get stuck, and this is just a personal one, but they're too small for my hands. When I play any games on the PS I have to sort of hover my palms over the controller, I can't just relax them like on any other one.

while not happy with its aesthetics i believed it to be an improvement over the archaic dual shock/snes design

the dual shock has always been too small for me and gives my hands cramps after awhile

DrXym

It looks like a pretty stupid design, and to be honest I'm quite glad they stuck with the PS2 style controller. There was nothing wrong with the form factor of the PS2 dual shock and there still isn't.

DrXym said:
It looks like a pretty stupid design, and to be honest I'm quite glad they stuck with the PS2 style controller. There was nothing wrong with the form factor of the PS2 dual shock and there still isn't.
unless you have larger hands in which case its been the most uncomfortable controller 3 generations running

GodfatherX said:
unless you have larger hands in which case its been the most uncomfortable controller 3 generations running
Maybe not even large hands, just beefy hands.

I've always been able to get used to the Dual Shock style of controller, but they've never been comfortable. I wanted to try the double ended dildo. Might have liked it a lot more then I do the pad they chose.

Slavik81

GodfatherX said:
Not even 'larger hands'. The average American adult male's hands are large enough for the dualshock to be problematically small.

Defuser

j-wood said:
I used to have 4 fingers on top till i got my psp where I used 2 fingers and that habit got carried to the PS3 controller.

zenbot

Blablurn said:
Do you still hate it or have you changed your mind?
I'm still not a fan. Terrible aesthetics are timeless :).

Tangentially: one thing I wish Sony would do is switch the positions of the left analogue stick and d-pad. More games are controlled via the analogue stick than the d-pad; it no longer makes sense to have the d-pad in a more prominent and comfortable position.

Juice

I wish they had the balls to go with it. The PS3's controller is a slippery piece of shit that's impossible to hold onto when using the triggers heavily.

Rezbit

I would have liked to have tried it. Can't be any worse than the current DS/SA design. It did look mighty small though...

101765_2.jpg

It looks cheap, but so did the silver triple.
I think maybe in black or white it would possibly look decent.
The one thing i do like about it is the slightly angled dpad and face buttons.

j-wood said:
I'm glad they decided to stick with the classic controller. It's about as close to perfection as you can get.

depends on the game.

most times I usually only use my two index fingers.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
As goofy as the Batarang was I think I'd prefer it over the same ol' dualshock design. I always hated that controller. I would have liked to try it at least to see if was as comfortable as people claimed.

Teddman

Was this controller ever available for play at conventions or media sessions? I believe it was first shown at E3 2005 but never actually displayed outside of a glass case.

It looks hideous and uncomfortable.... but I'm still pissed that they went back to the old ass DS design. Been playing games for close to 20 years and the Dual Shock 2 is the ONLY controller that has given me bad hand cramps.

Tieno

Fuck, why don't just somebody ape the 360 pad design, thumb stick placement and shape, and triggers.

I have a 3rd-party Dreamcast controller with a crooked D-pad like that. I can say from using it that crooked d-pads are bad. Very bad.

No, my opinion hasn't changed. And that has no bearing on whether or not the Dual Shock is a good controller (it is, but there's a lot of room for improvement).

Slavik81

The dualshock's the most uncomfortable controller this side of the SNES. I'd have preferred the batarang.

EDIT: Who bumped this? o_O
And that is kind of small. As long as it was bigger than the Dualshock, it would have been an improvement, but I can't tell from the picture.

Concept17

Leondexter said:
I have a 3rd-party Dreamcast controller with a crooked D-pad like that. I can say from using it that crooked d-pads are bad. Very bad.

No, my opinion hasn't changed. And that has no bearing on whether or not the Dual Shock is a good controller (it is, but there's a lot of room for improvement).

Pics? The direction your hands lay on the controller makes it so the dpad is strait with your hand.

101765_2.jpg

Paracelsus

I'm still looking for someplace where to buy that add-on which makes sixaxis triggers concave. That would be the best for me, instead of that boomerang. ._.

Top Bottom