• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
I'm so linking to this page in my quote compilation for the ending section of the thread. "The last time we would await a late update: truly a memorable moment. Plus we have fun with math."

This kind of does feel like old times, doesn't it? :)

Let's have even more fun with math...

QUICK JIGGY: HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD IN ONE SITTING?

(I remember you gave us an update on this like three months ago... The answer was insane, even back then!)

MrCheez said:
:O :lol

I'm not sure if I could stand to read this whole thread again, even in book form. I'd probably wait for the CliffNotes (JiggyNotes?) version!

ie, Jiggy's ultimate ending post quote extravaganza!
We don't need to read it....we lived it! :D

MrCheez

True Dojo-thread diehards will stay up all night to wait for the update, just like in the old days! >O

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
QUICK JIGGY: HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD IN ONE SITTING?

(I remember you gave us an update on this like three months ago... The answer was insane, even back then!)
Assuming it took a person an average of two seconds to read each post (I think that's a really low estimate), and taking a figure of 62,650 posts, it would take 125,300 seconds, which is 2088.33 minutes, which is ~34.81 hours. Under that figure, if you spent three hours reading the thread each day, it would take you ~11.6 days.

And, of course, the calculation scales appropriately if you're a faster or slower reader, or spent more or less time reading each day. If you could read posts in an average of one second each and still spent three hours each day looking through the thread, you'd only need 5.8 days. If you spent four hours per day going through, but could only read posts at an average of four seconds each, it would take you ~17.41 days.

MrCheez

OMG when GAF went down I was SURE that the update must have been a SERVER-CRASHING MEGATON just like in the old days :lol

scottnak

MrCheez said:
OMG when GAF went down I was SURE that the update must have been a SERVER-CRASHING MEGATON just like in the old days :lol
:lol Me too. When that happened, "!! Stop refreshing GAF. Quickly to the dojo!"
Aww man. Tonight has everything. what else are we missing.
Sp0rsk! Where are you

Jiggy

It's 1:26 AM Pacific. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is in my Wii, just a certain number of feet away. I could be playing it, or I could be going to sleep. But right now I am waiting for the Smash Bros. Dojo to update and tell me information about this game that I own. This is madness. This is SUMABURA.

scottnak

Jiggy37 said:
It's 1:26 AM Pacific. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is in my Wii, just a certain number of feet away. I could be playing it, or I could be going to sleep. But right now I am waiting for the Smash Bros. Dojo to update and tell me information about this game that I own. This is madness. This is SUMABURA.
:lol :lol
Well. If you put it that way, we just sound like neurotic ... uh...
... *looks around* Hm.

Feep

Banned
Isn't it possible that an algorithm in-game could be used to grab two separate-yet-incomplete character files to create one actual playable character, so as to confuse people who decompi

Never fucking mind. I'm going to bed.

Jiggy

Clearly we need Nate to come back and dig up his old file where he translated this update however many weeks or months ago, and tell us what it says. D:

Jiggy

Double post. Edit: Might as well use this space, though. So...

I concede. D: Yes, Japan Time: you've won this, probably our final duel. A worthy foe you were, on every occasion, to the last, fighting always 'til exhaustion. Commendable.

KevinCow

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Assuming that the 62,613 posts as of this writing averaged to ten words each, we'd have 626,130 words. As someone with a degree in creative writing, I generally manage to get around 8,500 words into 25 double-spaced pages, or 12.5 single-spaced pages, using Word with one-inch margins all around. There are ~73.66 units of 8,500 words to be found in 626,130 words. So, multiplying it out, the book would be roughly 920.78 single-spaced pages--in Word. Most paperback books won't fit nearly as many words on a single page as Word will; the double-spaced comparison is probably closer to being fully appropriate. So basically we might estimate that it would be about 1841.56 pages.

Again, all founded on the assumption that the posts averaged ten words in length. >_> I'm inclined to think that's a low estimate, but maybe that's because my own posts are fairly wordy. <_<
You forgot about all the pictures.

Jiggy

sp0rsk said:
Whats goin' on in this thread.
A lot of F5ing for no psychological reason that any of us can figure out. Not for me anymore, though. I surrender tonight, before I get bloodshot eyes or something. D:
And maybe someone has to take one for the team by going to sleep, so that the update happens two minutes later.

MrCheez

You know, here is a statistic I'm curious about...

How many updates have there been that you DIDN'T stay up for, Jiggy? :D

1111.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom