• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helix |OT| Sci-fi Thriller Series Executive Produced by Ron Moore – Fridays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus Christ, after all the hype, Scythe is taken out with a crowbar?

I...what...

Terrible episode all round. Daniel's death really felt pointless and surprise, surprise that Julia's mum is still alive. Thank the heavens it's the season finale next week and this madness can finally be over.

I don't want to say it's Dexter S8 levels of bad, but it's pretty damn close after this episode.

Yeah, I'm with the AV Club. This is the first episode of the show that was just terrible. The rest of the season definitely had numerous problems, but it was still a fun watch. This was just a disaster.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think that was the first legitimely bad episode so far, as in having no redeeming qualities at all. I have to agree with most if not all the criticism here. It was underwhelming, poorly concived and badly delivered in pretty much all fronts.

The only good thing was the quality of the gore, but it's not like it served any purpose.

mjc

The only way I can accept any of that is if Scythe willingly let himself get knocked out, which he had to. I don't even know where this show is going anymore..some board of immortals? A virus that's been around since the 16th century? What?

optimiss

The only way I can accept any of that is if Scythe willingly let himself get knocked out, which he had to. I don't even know where this show is going anymore..some board of immortals? A virus that's been around since the 16th century? What?

I think you might be confusing the multiple plot lines (which is easy to do). Let me break it down to the best of my understanding:

1. Ilaria exists as a group of immortals for the last 500 years or so (why or how they are immortal we do not yet know. Fountain of youth? Alien technology? Vampires?)

2. At some point in that 500 years Ilaria tasked Hatake with creating a virus and cure with which they can strategically prune/control the human race (Narvik-B).

3. Meanwhile, Hatake was secretly working on his own project, a serum that endowed regular humans with Ilaria-style immortality (which he injected Julia with to prevent her succumbing to the Narvik-B infection). This serum could be the same way that the Ilarians achieved immortality but it is implied that Hatake created it specifically as a gift to humanity so the Ilarian's would have most likely gained their immortality through other means.

Why is it so hard to believe that a virus has been around since the 16th century? I'd wager many have been around for a lot longer than that.

In this fictional universe I could believe that a group of humans could emerge from an epidemic (let's say... the black death in the 14th century) with advantageous genetic mutations.

SyFy just renewed Helix for S2
SyFy PR said:
SYFY RENEWS HELIX FOR SEASON TWO

NEW YORK – March 28, 2014 – Helix, Syfy’s chilling scripted drama, has been renewed for a second season, it was announced today by Bill McGoldrick, EVP, Original Content, Syfy. The 13-episode second season will commence production later this year, with an eye towards a winter 2015 premiere.

Said McGoldrick, “Helix has built one of our most loyal and consistent audiences in its first season on Syfy. The incredibly talented writing and producing team have crafted a thriller that consistently delivered suspense, twists and high quality drama. We look forward to growing this passionate audience in what promises to be an even more memorable second season.”

Helix premiered on January 10, 2014, as the top cable scripted entertainment program in the time period, and helping Syfy rank as the #2 cable entertainment network among both Adults 25-54 (1.6 million) and Adults 18-49 (1.3 million). Since its premiere, Helix has averaged 2.1 million total viewers, 1.1 million Adults 25-54 and 1 million Adults 18-49.

Karu

The show might be utter trash, but at least it's fun at times. And probs to SyFy for renewing a show like this. Enough with the USA-like crapapoo.

Note that they're looking at a Winter 2015 premiere for S2, so it's going to be a while.

EDIT: Ooops, turns out they meant the beginning of 2015 not the end. It should premiere about the same time next year.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SyFy just renewed Helix for S2

ibqmG23ji1Oq5x.gif

Did I read that if they get a season 2 that they were going to take it out of the arctic and see how they deal with the virus elsewhere?

Maybe... antarctica? lulz

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm very glad to hear there will be a second season. The first one has been marred with problems, but it still holds some promise. I hope the showrunners took note of the criticism and focus on the universe's strenghts (read: go full bananas).

B.K.

I've watched the entire series and I still have no idea what's going on or why anyone is doing what they're doing.

someday

Banned
I've watched the entire series and I still have no idea what's going on or why anyone is doing what they're doing.
Me either and I'll be back next season! I tell anyone who asks that it's terrible but that I haven't missed an episode.

This isn't returning till 2015 right? I'm putting this along with Defiance as Syfy shows that had me interested right up until the season finale. Two for two on stinkers. I'm not a fan of time jumps unless they're handled well, and this one definitely wasn't.

Depending on how good or bad the TV line up is next year I can't say I'll miss this.

Kevin

Not a great show by any means but I'll keep watching. It's popcorn tv. Kind of liked the craziness of the show. The show is enjoyable enough if you don't take it completely serious. Still mad that Syfy canceled Warehouse 13 which was a much better show. :/

That was a terrible season finale. Definitely Dex S8 levels of bad, everything about it was just...ugh.

The most annoying aspect was that there were absolutely no answers. Nothing about the Narvik virus and about its mutation in Peter and then there's Scythe...what the fuck were they thinking with that character? And Peter...what are you doing? Jesus Christ...

Not sure what to make of Julia now seemingly being the head of Ilaria...I'm going to assume it's some form of brainwashing.

Anyway, I'm just glad it's over.

Best bit from this:
Did I imagine all this happening? Did Syfy send me a practical joke screener? I am apologizing to my editor who is reading this paragraph and is like, "What the fudge?" But honestly, Jen, this all happened! There was a pregnancy reveal, a high-tech research facility exploded, a mother's throat was cut for addressing a teenage super-assassin by his Christian name, and a severed head was hammer-tossed into a fleeing helicopter. This all happened in about three minutes, and it was Helix at its horrible best. Yet with all this inexplicable madness crammed into its final minutes, Helix still managed to fill its middle 30 minutes with boring filler.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I didn't post after the previous episode but Scythe is so dumb. A centuries old assassin still acts like he's 15. Even if we assume he's stuck in some perpetual puberty, I think he would have mentally and emotionally matured a helluva lot more.

Where the hell did Constance's head come from to be thrown up onto the helicopter?

The scenes with the mother... what, why?

Why does it feel like the show is going to turn into the Assassin's Creed modern day stuff with Abstergo?

Yeah, I didn't understand why they revealed that whats-her-face was pregnant only to kill her off seconds later.

Why do people think they all died? Only because they weren't shown in the skip forward?

This show is pretty dumb, but I don't know it's stupid enough to spend so much of the finale on random incomplete story tangents only to kill off all those characters.

Hopefully Anana died at least.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yeah, I didn't understand why they revealed that whats-her-face was pregnant only to kill her off seconds later.

I really don't think anyone died in the explosion (as crazy as it sounds - the entire building exploded and then collapsed in on itself). If Alan, The Scythe, Julia, Julia's mom, Peter and Hatake (who cried out when Julia's mom got her throat slit) managed to survive, then I have to assume that everyone else did as well. It would make no sense if Sarah was killed off just moments after finding out that she was pregnant. It would make no sense if Sergio was killed off having spent the entire finale trying to obtain the list of the 31 missing Inuit children (and succeeding). It would make no sense if Anana and Toluk were killed off having just learned that their brother killed himself. I think the ending was just (very very) poorly written and directed.

EDIT:

Helix After Show | Interview With Showrunner Steven Maeda

Hatake and Sergio are definitely coming back. They're in talks with everyone else to at least guest star in season 2.

someday

Banned
I really don't think anyone died in the explosion (as crazy as it sounds - the entire building exploded and then collapsed in on itself). If Alan, The Scythe, Julia, Julia's mom, Peter and Hatake (who cried out when Julia's mom got her throat slit) managed to survive, then I have to assume that everyone else did as well. It would make no sense if Sarah was killed off just moments after finding out that she was pregnant. It would make no sense if Sergio was killed off having spent the entire finale trying to obtain the list of the 31 missing Inuit children (and succeeding). It would make no sense if Anana and Toluk were killed off having just learned that their brother killed himself. I think the ending was just (very very) poorly written and directed.
I agree with everything you said. I guess I just think that explosion should have killed everyone inside and to have them live through that is more ridiculous than killing her off. I guess if Sarah is immortal she might also have the regeneration genes that the Scythe's mom seemed to have. So even if she was burned really badly she could ultimately be fine.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's so bad it's good. I'm really surprised it got renewed but I'll watch it for sure.

I've been watching this crazy thing as well. The show has a mature cast and tries to go with a bit of Andomeda Strain+Thing setup but often actually seems to be written by a 10-year old. Oddly fascinating.

Though admittedly, if not for goodwill towards Billy Campbell and his two appealing female co-leads it would have been dropped a while ago. Nice to see this get a renewal anyway.

Mission

Yeah I still don't know whether to love or hate the show. I definitely agree that the finale was horrible. I imagine I'll watch S2.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Holy shit.

What the fuck.

That was the MESSIEST season finale of ANYTHING I've EVER seen. Excuse the caps, I just can barely believe I what I just saw. It wasn't even a hot mess, but a straight up big ol pile of stinking garbage. There was nothing, NOTHING to salvage from that trainwreck of an episode.

• Why the Scythe acts like a petulant child despite being centuries old?
  • Who the fuck thought Peter's twist made a lick of sense? Why turn him into a villain AGAIN?
  • What's the fucking reasoning to wake Julia's mother just to off her like that?
  • When did the Scythe find the time to deploy the charges all over the base?
  • Oh, don't worry, I'm sure the only characters who died in that explosion (besides the obvious redshirts) were those played by actors who won't be able to renegotiate their contracts.
  • Can somebody please put a stop to Sergio's spinning? His continuous coat-turning is only laughable at this point.
  • Did Alan/Hatake just casually keep the Scythe's mom's severed head as if it were a keychain?
  • Did anybody notice that Alan paid HUNDREDS OF EUROS for a cup of coffee? I know it's Paris, but what the hell. Do your fucking homework, writers/prop masters.
  • Oh, Julia is now an EVIL BUSINESSYWOMAN, complete with EVIL BUSINESSYWOMAN garb, an EVIL BUSINESSYWOMAN chignon and a just plain EVIL metal finger. She is also presiding Ilaria's board because of reasons.

Jesus Christ.

This is not what I meant when I said that I hoped the show would embrace the madness. And it's been renewed for another season? HOW?

Kevin

In my opinion this show should completely embrace the campiness and stop taking itself seriously. It's so bad written that the writers should just make it a campy horror/sci-fi show. Make it more funny and goofy.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In my opinion this show should completely embrace the campiness and stop taking itself seriously. It's so bad written that the writers should just make it a campy horror/sci-fi show. Make it more funny and goofy.

The writers don't even seem competent enough to go with the madness and create something silly but fun ala sciency True Blood.

That was some of the worst TV writing I've ever seen. As if the writers gave up after finishing the interrogation sequence and let their children handle the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom