• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

why is the Steam thread on a monthly renewal cycle?

Check the opening pages of this thread if you want the full discussion.

Basically we have been on a ~30 day roll over cycle for the past year. Might as well just turn it into a monthly thread and keep things on an even keel.

Amzin

I would say that of all the mobile-to-PC ports I've played, this is one of the best.

No IAPs - my only gripe is that the difficulty spikes pretty high about half way through the campaign. This kind of falls in the realm of "neglect to rebalance the game", since in the original mobile version you could purchase upgrades using "crystals" that either dropped in-game or that you could buy. They took out the crystals completely as well as the shop to buy upgrades.

It's a pretty minor thing though, and you can reset your "skill tree" at any time to match a particular level to compensate for the lack of "cheats". This itself adds a good bit of strategy to the game so it's not a total loss.

8/10 would play again, especially after the update

The original Flash version of Kingdom Rush had this spike too, and did not have the crystals as far as I remember. The fact it was flash on PC before going to mobile and now a freestanding PC game again is probably why it doesn't seem like other mobile ports :p

That's okay. That's all I want from that bundle too so I'm in the same boat. Aerena and Sparkle 2 Evo are worth checking out as well
but I already own them :p
if you are interested in that kind of thing.

I already have Sparkle 2 as well. :p Oh well, might as well just go for it and give away the rest.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Why would you need that? The game (as loads of UE1 games) uses standard demoscene modules, playable by just about any good music player (maybe even by Winamp).
Just load the UMX files from MUSIC folder, and you're good to go (or wavewrite them to MP3s if you want them on a portable device).
If you don't have any mod player, I highly suggest XMPlay, which has best MOD replayer quality and natively supports subsongs.
This is exactly what I want, lol. To have them on my phone as well as my PC.

I'll look into that .mod format you mentioned, and see if I can play those audio files. The problem is that I don't know the name of each track, unless there's a list somewhere and the files are properly titled.

If you guys were to choose an MMO, Guild Wars 2 or The Secret World?
I went with GW2 and really liked what little I played of it. The GAF community is extremely helpful, and there's some nice people there.

That said, I barely played it at all. It's just that with so many other games to play, I never find the time to dedicate to it. And you really need to dedicate a fair amount of time when it comes to MMORPGs.

Sajjaja

FFXIV is kind of the belle of the ball right now.

Well that needs a subscription.

if I was playing with friends, GW2. Solo, GW2 still.

Have you played TSW after it's shift from the sub model? I heard that TSW is very story driven and unlike other MMOs out there.

Guild Wars 2. It's one of the few MMOs that I thought were really good and I've been playing it since release. I have 2 max level characters (which is pretty much something that I never do in an MMO.)

I am not sure about The Secret World. I uninstalled it after I tried jumping with my character and seeing one of the worst jumping animations in a game yet.

Seems like a silly reason to stop playing.

Well that needs a subscription.

Have you played TSW after it's shift from the sub model? I heard that TSW is very story driven and unlike other MMOs out there.

Seems like a silly reason to stop playing.

TSW has been releasing content updates through "issues" that are purchased. The last one appears to have dropped in November of last year. I've heard some good things about the game though, but mostly that it didn't have a lot of endgame or lasting power.

GW2, on the other hand, has had 5 free content released this year alone. If $$ is a factor, GW2 wins here. It's also one of the only MMOs I've ever played where exploration was actively fun. The world also feels pretty "lived in" and that went a long way for me.

I played up until a few weeks ago. I don't think anyone thought about this game before actually playing it longer than I did. I kept hearing about it being a single player driven mmo, and thats very true. It is worth checking out for sure, so I guess my original post wasnt very clear in that case. But GW2 is at the end of the day full of more content and variety, much more polished, with better dungeons.

I will say that the story and characters in both games were pretty boring to me, but the world and architecture in TSW was incredible. Leveling up skills is a toss up between the two, but I think TSW is more fluid.

Grief.exe

I wonder if they had any plans to bring Guild Wars 2 to Steam eventually. Probably inevitable for any MMO as they see sales start to stagnate.

Backlogger

So I just ordered a laptop to feed my Steam gaming habits. I haven't owned a laptop in a couple years. I went somewhat budget on it so I will probably stick to more casual gaming and older titles in my backlog and save the new, graphic intensive stuff for my primary PC.

Its just one of those things where every time I have gone out of town or any sort of trip I always tell myself I need a laptop. Gaming on my iPad and iPhone just doesn't cut it for those trips.

What does SteamGAF do when they leave home? Do you lug your laptop around so you can game wherever you are? Or do you like to have a break from Steam?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam Mobile app incoming?

Actually, since I'm rewriting the Firefox extension I am looking at adding mobile support.

Tame

I wonder if they had any plans to bring Guild Wars 2 to Steam eventually. Probably inevitable for any MMO as they see sales start to stagnate.

That would peek my interest greatly. I spent a ton of time on Guild Wars,but fell away from it just before they started releasing dlc

Teppic

I know it's been like this for a while now, but I don't like how they only show the games with a picture on the weeklong deal page. I liked it better before when I could scroll down a list and get info on the game at the same time. Now I have to click on every game I want to check out, and for the most part I find myself not clicking on them.

TSW was the first MMO I played but I got easily hooked in by the story, world design and mission design (especially investigation missions).

I haven't played in a while because I don't have access to my gaming PC but if you see it on sale I would definitely recommend it.

Lies about Volgarr:

- There are no checkpoints
- There are no saves
- 2 hardcore 4 me
- Bad controls/platforming (yes, I've heard this one)

Some true shit:

There is a checkpoint at the halfway point of every level. It's a soft checkpoint, so it resets on restart. The game saves after every boss, and a warp point opens up to the left of every level. The game is not easy, but it's also not on some "I wanna be the guy" shit. You live
/die
and you learn. The game is about leveling yourself up as a player. The second level is probably the hardest, and can be a roadblock for many. The rest of the game is a piece of cake by comparison (but oh so good). ToddHunter caught the holy ghost and breezed through the rest of the game.

I hate that they pushed this as some super hard game. People took it as being unfair or unbeatable. It's just really well made. A great example of fantastic game design.

To be fair, the second level was pretty heavily nerfed after launch (I'm not sure if things have changed since then).

But yes, Volgarr is one of the best designed games in years (save for the default control scheme) and is a must try.

Lies about Volgarr:

- There are no checkpoints
- There are no saves
- 2 hardcore 4 me
- Bad controls/platforming (yes, I've heard this one)

Some true shit:

There is a checkpoint at the halfway point of every level. It's a soft checkpoint, so it resets on restart. The game saves after every boss, and a warp point opens up to the left of every level. The game is not easy, but it's also not on some "I wanna be the guy" shit. You live
/die
and you learn. The game is about leveling yourself up as a player. The second level is probably the hardest, and can be a roadblock for many. The rest of the game is a piece of cake by comparison (but oh so good). ToddHunter caught the holy ghost and breezed through the rest of the game.

I hate that they pushed this as some super hard game. People took it as being unfair or unbeatable. It's just really well made. A great example of fantastic game design.

I'm stuck at the second stage actually! What I find hard it's the last part and the boss

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm stuck at the second stage actually! What I find hard it's the last part and the boss

As did I until I discovered the existence of Mjolnir's Power and where to find them. Doing so finally allowed me to defeat the second stage's boss and learn his full pattern, which is what I was lacking.

Arthea

i0yhz7yRoJyJw.png

I hope you'll forgive my little prank and have some fun guessing what is what, you have 24 hours for that!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 56 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Many Deadends Cowardice -- MB-396433F6C5C69F66 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 16 entrants total.
The Inconvertible -- MB-C80AAA6674238BE2 - Taken by Nzyme32. 12 entrants total.
Unmount and blunt -- MB-A3C7669B6F5BDC96 - Taken by Sammichu. 13 entrants total.
Big Standing SIDEWALK -- MB-17E6236F54C833C8 - Taken by dot. 10 entrants total.
Standoff ejection -- MB-95726F43A4646CAC - Taken by Abomination. 10 entrants total.
Peasant Nobody -- MB-C1E1F22062CBDAD2 - Taken by X05. 12 entrants total.
Ig Wed -- MB-7EF0CF18B44ECCCA - Taken by AsylumX. 11 entrants total.
Knife Plastic -- MB-0086EC5846AE5D5D - Taken by Casimir. 14 entrants total.
DrawnRich Cuties Insignificant -- MB-598988D6E4C8F5B1 - Taken by PandaPedinte. 12 entrants total.
Disconnect that (minus) -- MB-170CA9E0F40E3FFC - Taken by Purkake4. 15 entrants total.
EarthPeacemakers -- MB-2DA268B5C0771FE3 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 14 entrants total.
Plain nothingness -- MB-47A1D03F865C844F
Unsang Diorf -- MB-4D90D2AC180A34C2 - Taken by trailmix16. 17 entrants total.
Unrelated Ground -- MB-E229DD028375B0A5 - Taken by Deadbeat. 10 entrants total.
White feet #2 -- MB-AEF7F78F90FFB39A - Taken by drakaenae. 10 entrants total.
The 93 flats -- MB-DD3EA1C9AE81EADF - Taken by Sajjaja. 10 entrants total.
Nathe: hiding under rock -- MB-7F3B886773E8774B - Taken by Saty. 12 entrants total.
Prey The Kindergarden -- MB-9FEA3D6C79D68CB3 - Taken by wetflame. 13 entrants total.
Africa Singluaris 3 partially -- MB-AA24F51D257043D7 - Taken by NaM. 15 entrants total.
Robots -- MB-26DC539A2C0EE806 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 18 entrants total.
Dull 2 Devo -- MB-693CE679B70891D1 - Taken by Knurek. 13 entrants total.
Kilobit Recoil -- MB-2DB23A4FBBBE1E73 - Taken by mannerbot. 11 entrants total.
Sunset of Reality Republic Peace -- MB-A56BDB2AEA4752AF - Taken by Sajjaja. 11 entrants total.
Troll wither Burnia -- MB-D5E55F6B00D3B95D - Taken by _hekk05. 11 entrants total.
Pre eldorado calm -- MB-C2A59552C5B75810 - Taken by Firebrand. 11 entrants total.
Rkcilc -- MB-1AA79B705FB8030A - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 12 entrants total.
Chaoticenemy -- MB-417A401047C68F9E - Taken by fspm. 12 entrants total.
Monday Evening AA -- MB-6493800688C71006 - Taken by donny2112. 12 entrants total.
Prosaica -- MB-52A18C9DDE6ACCE0 - Taken by Razorskin. 12 entrants total.
Roman vase -- MB-8BDAF27DEEF9430C - Taken by zeroOman. 12 entrants total.
White feet -- MB-827FB9FB74872784 - Taken by BernardoOne. 8 entrants total.
Minor Order -- MB-6815992ADB8D699E - Taken by Dusk Golem. 13 entrants total.
Athens: Local Truce -- MB-D86E8BFB7DF3D0A2 - Taken by _hekk05. 13 entrants total.
Dice Village Days -- MB-6AA50A6CBFFE5844 - Taken by Tellaerin. 13 entrants total.
lack of data burst slow backwards -- MB-8FE59AA791A3F067
Stars defending -- MB-767E9DC0AAD63A24
Staying in high place, last chapter -- MB-1767439A73E372CE - Taken by thesaucetastic. 11 entrants total.
Oriak -- MB-BC9698A2378EEC3D - Taken by thesaucetastic. 10 entrants total.
Ordinary Schedule -- MB-EC211E84266F6809 - Taken by Terra_Ex. 13 entrants total.
Peasant Nobody Loose Hostiles -- MB-27AB4AECBC9A4108 - Taken by confuziz. 16 entrants total.
Planet rabbits 3: Military peace -- MB-5F4A1F64BCA01DA4 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 12 entrants total.
Cowardly relief -- MB-E675F0881F577B8F - Taken by Benedict. 12 entrants total.
Station conquered -- MB-29E2C85790F15499 - Taken by BinaryPork2737. 11 entrants total.
Loner sitter, crowl of woodenheaded -- MB-3B31AB75BCF41D85 - Taken by bronson. 14 entrants total.
Lebesei -- MB-773F99EE9301414D - Taken by Vecks. 12 entrants total.
Station 'em High -- MB-497758777C870BA7 - Taken by nightstorm. 9 entrants total.
Levitating Critters -- MB-7BBD7700C97C5DEF
Eaf history -- MB-36C41DFBC4D3DC82 - Taken by oipic. 9 entrants total.
Continuous Earth -- MB-EBC5B39665964562 - Taken by nampad. 17 entrants total.
Rearguard Cinderella -- MB-98E2E946F156AC46 - Taken by fernandes. 23 entrants total.
tsk tsk standoff -- MB-9655067C182C941D - Taken by Kuroyume. 11 entrants total.
BYTE.STAY STANDER -- MB-306933A630CA9768 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 8 entrants total.
Heal Cripple Blessing of the Silver last episode -- MB-85C4D85B82443E88 - Taken by Dambrosi. 11 entrants total.
Natural Freebies -- MB-86F827834D3C734E - Taken by Darth Kupi. 12 entrants total.
John Carmacks Regular Guards Atlantic Floors -- MB-E1A4E570D1DA4F9E - Taken by Scipius. 25 entrants total.
Disconnect Failure -- MB-12C9CAA118FBD09B - Taken by EdmondD. 16 entrants total.

t1396385682z1.png

Have fun!

Sajjaja

Oh man I hope no one enters the one I chose. Great giveaway. I'm not 100% on it but it's the only one that makes sense to me.

hey, but all point of this is to try to guess, at least!

I might help with it some, but much later.
and that would be no fun, would it? (><)

Are they all anagrams?
Are some plays on words?

I see clickr and kairo in there (reversed names).

Also think I see:
The 39 steps
Ethan Meteor Hunter
Not the Robots
Sparkle 2 Evo

Arthea

Are they all anagrams?
Are some plays on words?

I see clickr and kairo in there (reversed names).

In some sense they are all reversed, only not all directly, that's huge spoiler, actually!
Nope, not anagrams

You see, you guessed 2 6 already! easy ones, but it's not as hard as it seems at first sight.

edited: corrosivefrost will guess all, it seems

Oh, are we actually supposed to guess here?
I'd say...
Unmount and blunt =
Mount and Blade?
EarthPeacemakers =
Earth Defense Force?
The 93 flats =
39 Steps?
Monday Evening AA =
Monday Night Combat?
Levitating Critters =
Critter Crunch?
BYTE.STAY STANDER =
Bit Trip Runner?

1, 3, 6 spot on!
others not

Vecks

hey, but all point of this is to try to guess, at least!

I might help with it some, but much later.
and that would be no fun, would it? (><)

Oh, are we actually supposed to guess here?
I'd say...
Unmount and blunt =
Mount and Blade?
EarthPeacemakers =
Earth Defense Force?
The 93 flats =
39 Steps?
Monday Evening AA =
Monday Night Combat?
Levitating Critters =
Critter Crunch?
BYTE.STAY STANDER =
Bit Trip Runner?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The "Roman vase" I'm betting is Obulis. Which reminds me, I need to actually beat that rather than just skipping past it to do more Hexcells and Fractal.

Thanks for the giveaway Arthea, guessing is always a lot of fun.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hack Slash Loot (This key is also probably used, sorry in advance if it is) -- MB-C8035C2BF6628028 - Taken by kulapik
Hamlet (This key is probably used, sorry in advance if it is) -- MB-C5DE75BD66DE5701 - Taken by Gez

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So finally finished Two Worlds 2 and its DLC with just over 50 hours on the clock. Brilliant game and so much better than I thought it was going to be, it's a damn fine WRPG. Some genuinely great quests and even general fetch quests are presented in an interesting way with some funny stories. It seriously puts some of the shit Bethesda do in their Elder Scrolls games to shame. Some genuinely great dialogue/writing as well, had me laughing out loud in many parts. Great sense of humour and the DLC was excellent too. Bit ropey for the first hour but it's probably going to be my 'best game, not from 2014' this year.

Started messing with the multiplayer/village mode as well. Seems like something fun to mess around in too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom