• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

liezryou

Guyz i know it's been a while but i have a confession... After my month long ban from neogaf, i slowly started moving away from steam. I am now back to WoW and D3, i have not even opened steam in weeks ; ; (Or bought any steam game). I have gone to the dark side.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The two hours I played WoW were boring as hell even with a friend, and I'd rather not give it a chance on the off-shot chance I'd get addicted. But I have my doubts as I have never been able to get into MMOs, with the exception of the Phantasy Star Online games.

Knurek

The two hours I played WoW were boring as hell even with a friend, and I'd rather not give it a chance on the off-shot chance I'd get addicted. But I have my doubts as I have never been able to get into MMOs, with the exception of the Phantasy Star Online games.

I could pretty much say the same thing... OTOH, I've spent ~60 hours in Kingdoms of Amalur, and close to 100 in Final Fantasy XII, so there's that.

Its beta so give them some slack, it is pretty hit and miss for me.

https://www.playfire.com/a/rewards

You can check here. Also I'm still not sure if we are suppose to get credit for already unlocked achievements.Anyone still getting automatic credits?
Oh, I have like £9, which of none have been transferred to my GMG account.

How do you actually access this reward site if you don't know the specific address? I can't find any link on Playfire pointing to this reward summary.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guyz i know it's been a while but i have a confession... After my month long ban from neogaf, i slowly started moving away from steam. I am now back to WoW and D3, i have not even opened steam in weeks ; ; (Or bought any steam game). I have gone to the dark side.

I should finish Diablo 3 now that there's no RMAH. Maybe I'll finally find some decent loot.

derExperte

Look, we're a laid back bunch in here, very open to other viewpoints and so on. But there's a line and that's the line. REPENT AND BUY.

kulapik

April Fools!

Right?...

;_;

Anteater

The two hours I played WoW were boring as hell even with a friend, and I'd rather not give it a chance on the off-shot I'd get addicted. But I have my doubts as I have never been able to get into MMOs, with the exception of the Phantasy Star Online games.

Yeah I had a terrible time with it as well, I think most of the non dungeon stuff are built around solo play, the quests are pretty boring and they are even worse when done in a group because of the nature of them (fetch quests) and they become even more mindless.

Even the dungeon stuff weren't fun either because the people and the community I run into were really terrible and there were rarely any kind of communication outside of kids whining about everything, outside of dungeons it's nothing but channel spam, etc.

I thought it was terrible overall

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone got the GMG aprils fool voucher to give anything besides 10% off? says its random but its always 10% when I try (with dark souls 2 at least)

JaseC

I, like presumably many others did, tried out WoW after seeing the South Park episode. Needless to say, I didn't warm to it and just went back to playing CS after a short while.

you're not helping lol

so, i'm done with jrpgs for a while. bio infinite dlc, here i come!

no longer you people will be baited into thinking that japanese ps2 games are being released on steam!

Photos from the set of Brooklyn hit the internet yesterday and Saoirse totally looks like Burial at Sea's Elizabeth.

anyone got the GMG aprils fool voucher to give anything besides 10% off? says its random but its always 10% when I try (with dark souls 2 at least)

It probably offers a deeper discount on older games and a lesser discount on newer ones. If it were truly random I imagine people would find a way to exploit it and GMG would be out of pocket by a fair amount.

Edit: For anybody interested in The Secret World, while the game has no app page on Eastern European stores, traders can still buy the game by using the sub page instead.

Edit edit: Maybe the fact that the April Fools voucher is supposed to be random but only offers 10% is the joke. ;)

Dusk Golem

I just tested it on 20 different games, new and old, and I can say I got 10% each time.

derExperte

Edit: For anybody interested in The Secret World, while the game has no app page on Eastern European stores, traders can still buy the game by using the sub page instead.

Interesting, unfortunately it doesn't work with the barebones version, at least I see no price when entering http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16064/.

And I wonder what happens if I buy the Massive Edition on Steam and log on with my old user info I made for a non-Steam version. Do I get the DLC added to my existing account?

JaseC

so you're saying saoirse is a little sister in another lighthouse looking to build her own utopia? and who's kaiser soze?

i don't remember much about bio infinite lol

Something like that. :p I still need to get around to playing BaS myself.

Interesting, unfortunately it doesn't work with the barebones version, at least I see no price when entering http://store.steampowered.com/sub/16064/.

Yeah, it looks like the regular edition is a no-go. The Massive Edition is definitely purchaseable, though, as I bought it myself earlier.

zkylon

zkylewd
are the game of thrones any good? i've been sick this weekend and all i've been doing is coughing and watching all three seasons until late hours of the night

didn't even like the show so much but it sure gets you hooked

Only 4 pages? JaseC, what is happening with you? Was expecting you'd be at least on thread 8 by now.
it's hard to run a one man show dude

JaseC

are the game of thrones any good? i've been sick this weekend and all i've been doing is coughing and watching all three seasons until late hours of the night

didn't even like the show so much but it sure gets you hooked

The games? Just download the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 instead.

Edit: I'd love for CDPR to develop a Game of Thrones ARPG.

it's hard to run a one man show dude

I was worried that Classy being banned would result in me just talking to myself but fortunately that hasn't quite happened. ;)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
*adds to friend list*
You may laugh, but I actively skip giveaways that have the risk of giving me Bad Rats :p
Like if there are 5 NOLF, 5 NOLF2, 10 Twinsen's Odyssey, 20 Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and 1 Bad Rats Steam keys I still wouldn't enter for fear of being unlucky and getting the one poison (and knowing my luck that's exactly what would happen!)

Tizoc

How does that PlayFire rewards thing even work?
I logged in with my GMG account and linked PF with Steam since it started, but it doesn't do anything at all.
Is it region restricted?

oNCE THE Time period for certain rewards ends you should be getting the cash.
It might take some time though since they have thousands of people using the service.

Pachimari

yea i think while it can look a bit blocky at times it's just so good at the things it does well it doesn't really matter. the atmosphere is just phenomenal, the lighting effects, the weather, the general world design and simply that "emergent" look things have of finding dead bodies you know have been killed by a random situation you could or could've not taken part of.

it's just all so desolate and creepy, it's amazing

So AI can kill and random (unscripted) things can happen in Stalker?

Are there a lot of firefights against human at night? I would love that.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
When RDR comes to the PC, this will be our clan name. :p
I've let that dream go a long time ago. :(
RDR at a higher res and with more then 20 fps would be glorious.

Arthea

You may laugh, but I actively skip giveaways that have the risk of giving me Bad Rats :p
Like if there are 5 NOLF, 5 NOLF2, 10 Twinsen's Odyssey, 20 Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and 1 Bad Rats Steam keys I still wouldn't enter for fear of being unlucky and getting the one poison (and knowing my luck that's exactly what would happen!)

There is no Bad Rats in my giveaway, I knew how some of you are touchy about it!
lol I don't have it too, and steam still won't let me to buy anything, anyways

zkylon

zkylewd
The games? Just download the Game of Thrones mod for CK2 instead.

Edit: I'd love for CDPR to develop a Game of Thrones ARPG.
u know, i was thinking about the witcher while watching the show and really i ended up thinking witcha just shits on game of thrones. game of thrones while entertaining for me felt pointless and gratuitous, there's little to take from all these stories, of bad people doing bad things and not so bad people about to do not so bad things being stopped short of it by bad people. the witcha games (and prolly the books) feel like they have a lot more purpose, geralt is a nice guy, not the most scrupulous guy around but still a good guy trying to do good things in a world ruled by the bad men. so the game is all about these little victories you manage to snatch of the bad guys, even if they are just a few.

game of thrones felt pretty masochistic for me, a lot of situations that could've gone somewhere but in the end get killed, literally, so well, life sucks. so like i wonder how that could work in a game, i imagine the actual games just slapped the universe into like a strategy game or something but that idea of failing all the time is interesting, i think

So AI can kill and random (unscripted) things can happen in Stalker?

Are there a lot of firefights against human at night? I would love that.
yup, the ai in the game is pretty impressive in how it interacts with each other. you'll see monsters eating some random guy that was walking on his own, or two opposing factions blow each other up over territory. you may find a bunch of corpses looted clean by bandits or some faction, or you'll see some guy on top of a car that was sent flying after stepping unaware on some anomaly. stuff like that is very common. mods help with this too, add a bunch of variables and interactions that improve how complex these encounters are quite a bit.

dunno about firefights at night specially, you usually try to hit home at night 'cos you can't see shit and it's scary. one of the best things of the game (enabled in stalker soc with mods) are blowouts. basically at random intervals the sky starts turning red and people run to find shelter because it's all going to shit. if you don't get cover radiation levels will rise to the point they'll fry you up, but also if you want to just explore around while eating tons of rad meds and medkits you can see monsters just standing still like hipnotized and such. also sometimes two different groups want to hide in the same shelter. that doesn't end well as you might imagine so it ends up being really tense

it's really really cool

liezryou

heh, no problem

QUIT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

I'm too far gone :(. Just leave me and continue to buy games on sale!

I should finish Diablo 3 now that there's no RMAH. Maybe I'll finally find some decent loot.

The new patch and expansion really make the game way more fun. I like it alot more then it was on release. I quit a month after release because i couldn't bear it.

Look, we're a laid back bunch in here, very open to other viewpoints and so on. But there's a line and that's the line. REPENT AND BUY.

*Opens steam* *Looks at games* *Waves uninterestedly* I have crossed over... there is no turning back for me... forgive me old friends!

April Fools!

Right?...

;_;

I wish >.<.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is hilarious to me because I've played nothing but D3 and SC2 the last month... and yet I have still acquired 15 Steam games. (16 if Vietnam counts as separate from Bad Company 2)

It really is our line, isn't it?

Knurek

the witcha games (and prolly the books) feel like they have a lot more purpose, geralt is a nice guy, not the most scrupulous guy around but still a good guy trying to do good things in a world ruled by the bad men. so the game is all about these little victories you manage to snatch of the bad guys, even if they are just a few.

Major spoilers for Witcher books:

- Geralt dies during one of elf/halfling pogroms, having his heart(s) stabbed by a random villager wielding a pitchfork
- Pretty much everyone from Geralt's Ciri rescue operation gets (you could argue pointlessly) slaughtered in the last book
- Not that it really matters since their world is undergoing an ice age - most of locations in the books will be uninhabitable in 100 years, with most of people dying of hunger

zkylon

zkylewd
never gonna read those black blocks lol

i want my witcha games untainted .3

but i guess you're pointing at things not turning out too good for geralt and bunch at some point, which isn't really surprising since it's still dark fantasy. hopefully the tone of the witcha games will stay the same, because i think the characters of the series being likable and having relatable stories and motivations is one of its strongest points

game of thrones for me feels like it should have its game made by rockstar, full of unpleasant and repulsive pieces of shit. not rockstar, their characters lol

Posted my impressions of Waking Mars in the indie thread, so I'm copying it here too
I'm currently playing Waking Mars and I can understand why it received so many votes in one of the early indie threads. The game is an alien gardening simulator where you play as an Astrobiologist exploring Mars caves.

Mistly of the time wheb you enter a new area there is a "barrier" that only allows you to pass once you reach a certain value of biomass in the area, and to raise the biomass you have to plant "seeds", and it's very rewarding when you're able to create a bioma that work by itself, the plants sprouting seeds, the critters eating these seeds and reproducing and the cycle goes on.

I really recommend to play this game if you own and is gathering virtual dust in your backlog.

Happy Birthday Me!

Happy birthday.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, it looks like the motherboard of my laptop is shot. It shuts down after 30 seconds to a minute, regardless if it's in safe mode, checking my disks for consistency, or whatever.

So I'm computerless and more importantly steamless for the next week or so, probably. :(

Pachimari

u know, i was thinking about the witcher while watching the show and really i ended up thinking witcha just shits on game of thrones. game of thrones while entertaining for me felt pointless and gratuitous, there's little to take from all these stories, of bad people doing bad things and not so bad people about to do not so bad things being stopped short of it by bad people. the witcha games (and prolly the books) feel like they have a lot more purpose, geralt is a nice guy, not the most scrupulous guy around but still a good guy trying to do good things in a world ruled by the bad men. so the game is all about these little victories you manage to snatch of the bad guys, even if they are just a few.

game of thrones felt pretty masochistic for me, a lot of situations that could've gone somewhere but in the end get killed, literally, so well, life sucks. so like i wonder how that could work in a game, i imagine the actual games just slapped the universe into like a strategy game or something but that idea of failing all the time is interesting, i think

yup, the ai in the game is pretty impressive in how it interacts with each other. you'll see monsters eating some random guy that was walking on his own, or two opposing factions blow each other up over territory. you may find a bunch of corpses looted clean by bandits or some faction, or you'll see some guy on top of a car that was sent flying after stepping unaware on some anomaly. stuff like that is very common. mods help with this too, add a bunch of variables and interactions that improve how complex these encounters are quite a bit.

dunno about firefights at night specially, you usually try to hit home at night 'cos you can't see shit and it's scary. one of the best things of the game (enabled in stalker soc with mods) are blowouts. basically at random intervals the sky starts turning red and people run to find shelter because it's all going to shit. if you don't get cover radiation levels will rise to the point they'll fry you up, but also if you want to just explore around while eating tons of rad meds and medkits you can see monsters just standing still like hipnotized and such. also sometimes two different groups want to hide in the same shelter. that doesn't end well as you might imagine so it ends up being really tense

it's really really cool

Okay, I'm sold on this game. Hopefully it won't be too hard adding the mod (I'm pretty new to mods, have only done it to Max Payne). And I found it for €6.95 at GamersGate.

Though I'm still considering Banished and Super Meat Boy.

Knurek

never gonna read those black blocks lol

i want my witcha games untainted .3

but i guess you're pointing at things not turning out too good for geralt and bunch at some point, which isn't really surprising since it's still dark fantasy.

You have no idea.
Also, it's such a pity you guys won't receive translations for the two last volumes (if Wikipedia is to be believed).

Arthea

I look at the GalCiv 3 price, and at least today it looks like a joke, not funny, but joke nevertheless, when in all other days it looks somehow insulting and insane and I love me some GalCiv.

Happy birthday Parsnip! a nice day to have birthday, isn't it?
here is present for you! hah, you totally believed it! You probably are tired of such jokes to the bones lol

Isn't the high price to match the backers tier access to the alpha?

doesn't really matter, no game is worth 100&#8364; IMO, even Suikoden 6, although that might be close to being worth, very close lol

I look at the GalCiv 3 price, and at least today it looks like a joke, not funny, but joke nevertheless, when in all other days it looks somehow insulting and insane and I love me some GalCiv.

Isn't the high price to match the backers tier access to the alpha?

zkylon

zkylewd
Okay, I'm sold on this game. Hopefully it won't be too hard adding the mod (I'm pretty new to mods, have only done it to Max Payne). And I found it for €6.95 at GamersGate.

Though I'm still considering Banished and Super Meat Boy.
yea it's pretty easy, it used to be harder but i think complete mod comes with an installer and everything. you just pick which mod you want to install and that's it. unless checkboxes are out of your league i think you'll be fine :D

You have no idea.
Also, it's such a pity you guys won't receive translations for the two last volumes (if Wikipedia is to be believed).
well i don't really like reading fantasy, but i'd be sad if witcha 3 was the end for the witcha games. i know they said it was the end of the trilogy and whatever but devs aren't to be trusted when making those silly statements. maybe there's a new trilogy or we'll finally get that dandelion's game or something. a game from triss' perspective would be really cool, playing a woman in that world might be interesting

also don't set me up for mopeyness dude. i'm trying to stay hopeful and spirited here in spite of watching all of game of thrones and true detective in two freaking weeks.

MikeRahl

Damn, it looks like the motherboard of my laptop is shot. It shuts down after 30 seconds to a minute, regardless if it's in safe mode, checking my disks for consistency, or whatever.

So I'm computerless and more importantly steamless for the next week or so, probably. :(

Are you sure it's your motherboard? Booting up completely and then shutting down seems like it would be strange behaviour.

I have something similar going on with my Laptop. What will happen is that it will run perfectly and then shutdown and go into a loop where it will make it part way through post and then restart itself until the end of time. Sounds like it is completely busted right?

Turns out my charger hasn't quite aged as gracefully as everything else and doesn't fully charge the computer anymore. It still gives it some juice but not enough to keep up with consumption so after so long it will just turn off. I have to either let it sit there plugged in for while or use my wife's charger.

It's a long shot but maybe it's not as bad as you think.

Dusk Golem

Hello NeoGAF. It's been a while since I've done a give-away. And I probably shouldn't, as I don't have much funds right now, but I have gotten a lot from the topic and felt compelled too, so here we are.

As it's April 1st, I want to put some edge on this giveaway. I have decided on a 6-sided dice roll. You choose a single number, it'll be raffled out in 3 hours, and see what ya get. However, I will say what games I am giving away:

header_292x136.jpg

-Resident Evil 4

header_292x136.jpg

-Daylight (Pre-Order)

header_292x136.jpg

-Final Exam

header_292x136.jpg

-Vanguard Princess

header_292x136.jpg

-Finding Teddy

header_292x136.jpg

-Takedown: Red Sabre

I'll note ahead of time this is not the order the games are in below as I took the list above and put them through a randomizor to decide which game went to which dice number, so be weary~

I won't reveal which die is what, but I will include the name of the game before the code for whoever happens to win it. If they want to say here to unravel the mystery, then so be it~

Alright now, happy April fool's, and let's roll the die!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dice Roll 1 -- MB-A0B153DFE1532826 - Taken by topyy. 10 entrants total.
Dice Roll 2 -- MB-19D631260230C95E - Taken by zkylon. 13 entrants total.
Dice Roll 3 -- MB-5577E11408FB8A2A - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 16 entrants total.
Dice Roll 4 -- MB-86834AB666A8D5F1 - Taken by Milamber. 33 entrants total.
Dice Roll 5 -- MB-3BE6DC82D56958C8 - Taken by Hanzou. 20 entrants total.
Dice Roll 6 -- MB-647AB2C0B61689D3 - Taken by Zeknurn. 9 entrants total.

t1396367593z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
There is no Bad Rats in my giveaway, I knew how some of you are touchy about it!
lol I don't have it too, and steam still won't let me to buy anything, anyways
You haven't been able to solve that problem yet? That sucks almost as much as Valve's customer support :/

And it's good to know that about your giveaway, but I'm still not going to participate because I can't decipher your titles. What you did is clever, but I'm not up to the task, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom