• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors Series Community Thread | Analyzing the complexities of Square and Triangle

?!? Wii U version has all the DLCs that 360 and PS3 had (going by Warriors Orochi 3 PSN page), was the don't forget it even has 4 extra characters, Rachel, Seimei Abe, Momiji and Shennong.

What difficulty was this? Nagamasa's fate was already sealed so...XD
Sengoku Musou 4 has me hyped enough, I've preordered DW8XL on the Vita in order to tie me over till we get SW4 announced =D.

yeah to buy, not free or on disc

Fandangox

Did the PS3/360 version have even more DLC? Because there's already a huge amount of DLC for the WiiU version. I usually don't bother with the DLC for these games, there's just way too much.

?!? Wii U version has all the DLCs that 360 and PS3 had (going by Warriors Orochi 3 PSN page)

Oh man really? I didn't know! I looked at a DLC list in Koei Wiki and it didn't mention the Wii U except for the Santa outfit, but I guess they were there just from the start except for the Japenese ps3 exclusive ones.

Gonna check right now, I deleted Hyper from the Wii U when I needed space for Monster Hunter and other minor games, but I think I can check on the eShop.

yeah to buy, not free or on disc

Well true, but that's not what I meant. I mistakenly thought that Hyper did not even have the option to buy the old DLC.

TreIII

I never really saw any problems with the weapon triangle in DW8. It's a nice change and the only bad thing about it was that all the 5th weapons were the heaven affinity.

Friggin "ding ding".

But beyond that, I just always saw it as a mechanic that was meant to enforce the use of the Weapon Change system, when I thought the variety it offers in itself was good enough to warrant it. I would have rather had the AI be able to take advantage of the Change system for itself, than "type effectiveness" in play. Ah, well, though.

I think the main problem is that Koei decided to not give the SW characters a revamp in their 10 year old movesets. Sure some people got like range increases or whatnot (like Magoichi) but it's mostly the same for everyone. Sure everyone got a new attack string but it isn't like DW where some characters got revamped movesets between DW5 and DW7/8.

Yep. If at least everybody got revamped attacks, that would've been one thing.

But here we are, it's 2014, and Nene and Kunoichi are still largely clones of each other. Among other things that haven't change enough. Even the DW side has gotten rid of its clones by now.

I would have rather had the AI be able to take advantage of the Change system for itself, than "type effectiveness" in play. Ah, well, though.
I haven't played vanilla since the SSM7 launch, but in 8XL the enemies will use switch attcks on you and change when you have a weapon advantage. A bunch of times I've tried to build up a storm rush only to be knocked away and be at a weapon disadvantage.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Are there no skills you can equip to get around it? I don't know what the progression system is like in SW4.

People say there might be but I haven't seen any proof of it so far.

It's very odd that people are saying there "might be." There either is or there isn't...that kind of item would be easy to spot.

Pancakes, there's no skills gained to get around this AFAIK, but weapons can be equipped with gems to make them stronger/add elements/etc. So I guess the speculation is that there's a gem for this, but people should have found that by now unless it's incredibly rare.

The thing is, I think Shinsoku needs to be limited against officers or it would be a bit broken. It would be too easy to fly through stages and take out everyone with little effort if it was available for use on everyone. And again, you can use it on officers- you just need to have stunned them or broken through their guard first.

Well, I'm glad that at least some others are enjoying it in my stead! :lol

I guess my problem is...I wish that the different segments of Omega Force would do more to touch and agree on various aspects. It always seems like they're (usually) willing to give 110% to their collab/franchise Musou games and Orochi, but SW and DW just seem to be left with more..."gimmicky" stuff like Shinsoku and the Weapon Triangle/Storm Rush/etc. (I heard loose talk that Storm Rush got patched a bit in XL, but I haven't gotten around to picking that up yet.)

Makes sense to me...experiment in DW/SW, put the polished results in WO. :D

Again, when I think about how Shinsoku could've been something more akin to either a) Gundam Musou's "Boost Dash" (or better) or b) a certifiable second attack string that would have meant more in the way of string variety (re: a la One Piece)? What we got just left me feeling a bit flat on the gameplay end. Which is sad, because most of the other aesthetic content is actually pretty good.

I think this is where we really disagree. I have no real problems with this new system.

My boy Goemon and the other red-headed stepchildren not getting a new costume (even when they could've just used one of the Alts from WO3 and called a day...?) is one thing. Goemon, again, being pretty much forced to fight the same way he did back in the first game, because most of his new attacks will just get repelled by Officers? That's just something I can't look the other way.

...But I do agree with you here. I guess it doesn't feel as bad with only four mainline SW games and a bigger gap inbetween their releases.

Friggin "ding ding".

But beyond that, I just always saw it as a mechanic that was meant to enforce the use of the Weapon Change system, when I thought the variety it offers in itself was good enough to warrant it. I would have rather had the AI be able to take advantage of the Change system for itself, than "type effectiveness" in play. Ah, well, though.

I do think the new 6th starred weapons at least this time have different affinities. And at least the DLC weapons (which I can't use on the Vita version yet :E) do too.

And as AdawgDaFAB mentioned, enemy officers love using weapon switch on you now.

Yep. If at least everybody got revamped attacks, that would've been one thing.

But here we are, it's 2014, and Nene and Kunoichi are still largely clones of each other. Among other things that haven't change enough. Even the DW side has gotten rid of its clones by now.

Yeah, Nene and Kunoichi still using the same weapons is just silly. I mean, it is good their charges are almost different and their Godspeed moves are different. It just seems lazy as it definitely seems like they have the idea of what direction each character is going (Nene throws her daggers and Kunoichi slashes with them) but not give Nene something new instead. Like dunno, shurikens or something.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Was thinking of picking up Dynasty Warriors 8 XL but gonna wait a while for patches etc to appear. I was however looking at Warriors Orochi 3. Is Warriors Orochi 3 on the PS3 PSN the only version that we have over in the west ? We didn't get any of the other versions did we ?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
We also got the WiiU version. And we might get the new version.

Edit: Wasn't this also released on 360?

If you're talking about Warriors Orochi 3 then yeah it was. :) If there's a chance we might get the new version of that I'll hold off for now.

I'm still playing Dynasty Warriors NEXT on the Vita so I might go for something different and pick up TRINITY: Souls of Zill O'll. Always liked the demo for that and it's going for £16 on the UK PSN now.

We also got the WiiU version. And we might get the new version.

Edit: Wasn't this also released on 360?

I do wish the Wii U version wasn't so technically flawed. It would be nice to have a Musou game that wasn't terrible to play on it while waiting to see how Hyrule Warriors turns out.

TreIII

I haven't played vanilla since the SSM7 launch, but in 8XL the enemies will use switch attcks on you and change when you have a weapon advantage. A bunch of times I've tried to build up a storm rush only to be knocked away and be at a weapon disadvantage.

I do think the new 6th starred weapons at least this time have different affinities. And at least the DLC weapons (which I can't use on the Vita version yet :E) do too.

And as AdawgDaFAB mentioned, enemy officers love using weapon switch on you now.

Oh, really? Cool, that's good to hear. I may have to pick up 8XL, once the JP VA DLC is out!

So much for my "promise" to not overdo it on Musou-style hack-n-slashers, this year. But how can I resist with the likes of Kamen Rider Battride 2 and Zelda Musou just over the horizon...? C8

Yeah, Nene and Kunoichi still using the same weapons is just silly. I mean, it is good their charges are almost different and their Godspeed moves are different. It just seems lazy as it definitely seems like they have the idea of what direction each character is going (Nene throws her daggers and Kunoichi slashes with them) but not give Nene something new instead. Like dunno, shurikens or something.

And I'm hoping that they'll pull the trigger on such a thing soon. I mean, it just seems a bit odd when the likes of Oichi and Masamune have both been given entirely new movesets over time (even when their original ones were pretty damn unique), but the two ninja ladies have been slumming it with being clones for quite a while.

It's very odd that people are saying there "might be." There either is or there isn't...that kind of item would be easy to spot.

Pancakes, there's no skills gained to get around this AFAIK, but weapons can be equipped with gems to make them stronger/add elements/etc. So I guess the speculation is that there's a gem for this, but people should have found that by now unless it's incredibly rare.

The thing is, I think Shinsoku needs to be limited against officers or it would be a bit broken. It would be too easy to fly through stages and take out everyone with little effort if it was available for use on everyone. And again, you can use it on officers- you just need to have stunned them or broken through their guard first.

Makes sense to me...experiment in DW/SW, put the polished results in WO. :D

I think this is where we really disagree. I have no real problems with this new system.

...But I do agree with you here. I guess it doesn't feel as bad with only four mainline SW games and a bigger gap inbetween their releases.

So charge 2 then unload?

Lyte Edge

DERP.

This is one of the red gem skills.
迅閃 - Increase godspeed attack power and makes it so officers cannot repel godspeed attacks.

So, mystery solved. And a good reason for me to work on improving my shitty Kanji reading! So now to see if A) this is more difficult to obtain and B) if it makes the game too easy.

TreIII

DERP.

This is one of the red gem skills.

So, mystery solved. And a good reason for me to work on improving my shitty Kanji reading!

Yeah, the only thing I've found is that it's (sadly) not a fool-proof solution. What I've found so far is that it can stagger them, but more often than not, they'll go into some type of hyper armor state if you try to launch/juggle them. I've fared better just going for the stun or just going back to the old fashioned way.Either it's because that gem skill isn't high enough, my characters' Godspeed isn't high enough or what have you.

I suppose the main thing I'm looking for now is whatever extends "Awakening" mode, like in that Naotora video.

Do gundam games and sengoku basara count here?
Yeah feel free to talk about them, quite a number of people in here has imported those games, I'm sure.

The Vita port of DW8XL is depressing me on the badly aspect ratioed button icons X'D. As well as the framerate T-T, I'll make due till I get a PS4 to remote play with.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I do wish the Wii U version wasn't so technically flawed. It would be nice to have a Musou game that wasn't terrible to play on it while waiting to see how Hyrule Warriors turns out.

I thought it played just fine. There's some noticable pop-in, but apart from that I didn't have any problems. Are your impressions from before or after the patch?

Yep the Wii U version does have some pop-in problems, would recommend turning the Wii U pad screen as the map screen if you want slightly improved framerates though. More than likely Nintendo will make sure to help Koei on the Wii U's tech for Hyrule Warriors though.

Lyte Edge

Yeah, the only thing I've found is that it's (sadly) not a fool-proof solution. What I've found so far is that it can stagger them, but more often than not, they'll go into some type of hyper armor state if you try to launch/juggle them. I've fared better just going for the stun or just going back to the old fashioned way.Either it's because that gem skill isn't high enough, my characters' Godspeed isn't high enough or what have you.

I suppose the main thing I'm looking for now is whatever extends "Awakening" mode, like in that Naotora video.

Good to know it's not broken and yeah, it could just mean more leveling is needed first.

That awakening mode extension you're talking about is one of the scroll items. Forget which one but I can check since I should already have it equipped. :)

Well from what videos I seen (inb4 anyone makes a joke about judging musou games on watching a video), if this skills prevents the whole officer basically stopping your entire Godspeed combo from blocking you, it sounds like it would be pretty useful.

That seems to be what I see as the main problem of Godspeed, how you get utterly stopped the moment an officer appears in your path.

FiraB

Banned
Sengoku Musou 4 (Samurai Warriors 4), anyone have it on vita tell me how the framerate is? Tossing up PS3 or Vita at the moment, like the portability option but not worth it if the framerate is horrible.

Lyte Edge

Sengoku Musou 4 (Samurai Warriors 4), anyone have it on vita tell me how the framerate is? Tossing up PS3 or Vita at the moment, like the portability option but not worth it if the framerate is horrible.

Got the game on both platforms- It has a good framerate on Vita and excellent sound quality. It's a great port.

FiraB

Banned
Got the game on both platforms- It has a good framerate on Vita and excellent sound quality. It's a great port.
Cheers Lyte, I will pickup on payday. Got sengoku basara 4 incoming as well so should be busy for awhile, still debating DW8XL PS4 as i prefer Empires to XL but we will see if these two don’t keep me busy till WO3U PS4.

quick question: I've reached the Battle of jiangdong on Hyper, and when I get to the part where I'm supposed to meet Rachel, the game crashes without fail. Is there any way for me to get past this without having to start over from the beginning, because from what I understand, this is the last stage I have left to do before I unlock the real final battle, and I've spent too long working to get all my bonds up to really consider starting over

tino

Banned
I was just watching the PS4 game on twitch today. It really look like a PS3 game. I might pick it up when its around 20 bux.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
HYPE. Can't wait for this one to come out, too. The only bad thing about 8ing becoming a nice force in the Musou-like genre is that it meant the end of their Climax Heroes fighting game series.

I think the steadily declining sales were what killed the CH series. It's a shame too, since as the sales went down, the quality went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUoF5Kjae4

Oh man, I didn't know about this change in Orochi Ultimate. This makes me want the game so much more than I previously did. :D

I think the steadily declining sales were what killed the CH series. It's a shame too, since as the sales went down, the quality went up.
It's a damn shame. I always enjoyed the games they did built off the old Bloody Roar engine. I spent countless hours playing the Gekitou Ninja Taisen and Heat the Soul series. I was hoping the Climax Heroes line would go on for some time, but I suppose it evolved into Battride War instead. I'll mourn the end of their non-Capcom fighters, but I'm still super hype for BW2.
Now if only the damn 3DS wasn't region locked and I could play Travelers Senki. I want all the fun Kamen Rider games damnit! >_>

Edit: I posted this in the 8 thread, but it will likely apply to all their ps4 games.
Looks like we may never get audio on ps4 direct streams for Koei's Musou games, because of VA rights issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRUoF5Kjae4

Oh man, I didn't know about this change in Orochi Ultimate. This makes me want the game so much more than I previously did. :D

It's a damn shame. I always enjoyed the games they did built off the old Bloody Roar engine. I spent countless hours playing the Gekitou Ninja Taisen and Heat the Soul series. I was hoping the Climax Heroes line would go on for some time, but I suppose it evolved into Battride War instead. I'll mourn the end of their non-Capcom fighters, but I'm still super hype for BW2.
Now if only the damn 3DS wasn't region locked and I could play Travelers Senki. I want all the fun Kamen Rider games damnit! >_>

Edit: I posted this in the 8 thread, but it will likely apply to all their ps4 games.

I've always believed we were going to get this out west, better chance now with the ps4 port and all the tweets hinting at such.

I freaking loved WO3, I need the Ultimate edition.

GrayFoxPL

Played quite a bit of online FoTNS2 and it was fun.

There are only 2 modes: co-op and team match.

Co-op is just standard dream match missions done with 2 players but TM is pretty cool. It's the only mode that makes sense with game's system with unlocked moveset. Here all characters are stripped of scrolls and only have 2 preset super moves. Basically every one is equal just pick a favorite character. Minimum 4 players are divided in 2 random teams and game throws you on a map where the it gives you random missions, team that does best wins, though there are weird outcomes where you think one team is winning most missions but ends up losing in the end somehow, lol.

No one said it out load but we probably play to get 2 online trophies that game has, but getting more then 3 players to play this is a pain. Almost no one plays. Doesn't mean it isn't fun.

Maybe some of you guys want to play some online sessions in this tomorrow?

Biker19

Banned
I hope that the upcoming PS4 version of Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate/Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate gets proper optimization & to not make it feel like a cross-gen title, especially when they've already released it on PS3 & PS Vita back in September last year.

Should be no excuse; PS4 is much more powerful & more developer friendly than the PS3 is.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
It's going to feel cross gen no matter what. They built all the assets for the PS3. They can make it look sharper, run better, etc. but I wouldn't expect a real step up in Warriors titles until the first few proper games developed with the PS4/Xbone in mind.

TreIII

And I'd argue that the declining sales was due to their insistence to stay on the PSP/Wii (even when Japanese audiences finally started to move on to the PS3), and making it a yearly affair on top of that. It was overkill after a while, and unlike with the Naruto GNT games, your pool of dedicated die-hards who were always going to show up to buy year after year was much smaller.

It's all I can hope that somehow, someway, they'll get another chance to make more fighters. Both GNT and CH were such great games, and I'd like to think 8ing's experiences with Capcom only made them even more capable.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I started this series with WO3 — should I go straight into DW8 or pick up DW7 on the cheap for my next game?

TreIII

I started this series with WO3 — should I go straight into DW8 or pick up DW7 on the cheap for my next game?
Unless you care about storytelling, go with DW8. Much better gameplay overall and no more weapon clone movesets, since everybody now has their own EX weapon.

Shengar

26c98a2a6d99ca146fbb6d153f86bf5e.jpg

Warriors Orochi-style FE Musou is like a fanboy wet dream :(

Recall

Do we have anyone who would be up for some Warriors Orochi 3 multiplayer on PS3? I'm only chapter 3 on the story but there is not a single person online for this game to even remotely try the co-op.

PSN is RecallBerserk

Do we have anyone who would be up for some Warriors Orochi 3 multiplayer on PS3? I'm only chapter 3 on the story but there is not a single person online for this game to even remotely try the co-op.

PSN is RecallBerserk

I can join up, atleast for that one trophy :D i'll send you a PSN friend request, same nick.

Top Bottom