• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games 2014 [April] Now Voting - Post 542!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well the game is still in pre-alpha. I'm thinking I might try suggesting this to the dev, although I'm hesitant about doing so because this is his thing and I don't want sound like some entitled jerk who expects everyone to do everything I want. Still, I really think it would improve the game a huge amount so I'm quite torn on this.

There is no real reason to think that way to be honest. Just a few weeks ago, I was bugging the Cubesis dev about quite a few aspects of the game, see the most recent comments here:
http://www.desura.com/games/cubesis

Within 2 weeks, he took care of all my issues, added an additional campaign and the game just got a whole lot more polished. If the players dont like major parts of the game, then who should? :)

Also:
Subliminal spoiler message, try Cubesis :p

(Serious answer: What we played was 'only' a demo. Full version will be more varied on all accounts according to the dev.)

Could you dig up the actual comments/plans? Would be interesting to see what he is actually planning to add eventually.

April 2013
Another retrospective look at how indie games have progressed (or not) in a year's time

Aeon - no info beyond the year old videos on Youtube, dev has gone on to release Waiting for Horus, Hunting Anubis, and the recent Xaxi
tumblr_meqc8yW6hH1rmvprso7_500.jpg

Banished - out now!

Castle Story - on Early Access, regular updates and steady development

Chasm - releasing in May, available to preorder

Cube World - Regular updates and these devs don't mix very well, last one was early January, no development updates or blog posts since

Dawn of the Ronin - progressing nicely, recently Greenlit

Deep Space Settlement - last blog post was October, last IndieDB post was August...

Distance - regular updates, no beta yet :(

Enemy Starfighter - going to be at PAX Indie Megabooth this month

Folk Tale - on Early Access, recently updated

InFlux - released on Steam

Lacuna Passage - successfully Kickstarted in July, was just shown at GDC

Luftrausers - released (and it's awesome), buy here

daydream

Banned
@Toma This site is relevant (basically an Early Access offer). He's updating the full game all the time, but not the demo. Multiplayer is already in there and tons of other stuff (patch notes). Here's a quote from his Twitter (@BlackIceTheGame):

March 24 - @poly345lp Ah, fair enough :) Big plans include optional sidequests, UI/graphics overhaul, melee weapons, more enemies, pvp

April 2013
Retrospective continued

Lune - free alpha version here, no word on the full release, was supposed to release in the fall, last Tweet was in November

Mirage - no recent development news, dev is working on Krautscape

Monaco - finished and released

Octodad: Dadliest Catch - finished and released

Parallax - Greenlit, still in development

Quadrilateral Cowboy - releasing in 2014

Race To Mars - on Early Access

Rollers of the Realm - will be at PAX Indie Megabooth, coming to Steam in 2014

Shantae: Risky's Revenge - was Greenlit, but zero news. Devs probably focusing on the Kickstarted Shantae game

Shu - still in development, regular dev updates

Skipping Stones - releasing 2014, devs currently working on GNAH!

Sneaksneak - releasing in 2014, coming to Xbox One

Teslagrad - finished and released

The Curious Expedition - steady development, I've been following it on TIGForum

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
@Toma This site is relevant (basically an Early Access offer). He's updating the full game all the time, but not the demo. Multiplayer is already in there and tons of other stuff (patch notes). Here's a quote from his Twitter (@BlackIceTheGame):

Thanks, didnt know that the demo isnt updated along with the full version. The dev deserved my money anyway, so I just bought it for 10$ and will get my name in the game somewhere as playername/corporation or whatever :p

daydream

Banned
He he we were just talking about that at the bottom of the last thread.

Do you think the game would be better if instead of just making a little wall it actually put you in a pre-built or randomly generated combat arena?

Hm, a separate, uniquely designed combat arena for every building would be neat - and a lot of work. Probably unrealistic to expect such a thing.

I'd prefer the way it is now to 'randomly generated' arena, though, as I think the instant battlefield adds a layer of stress (since you can't leave the area) that makes the combat more exciting. Also means that you have a bit more think about when upgrading your stats (= if you're going to put the point towards expanding the hacking area or not).

Oops, never mind. Totally missed that you replied to that. :p

np ;)

Thanks, didnt know that the demo isnt updated along with the full version. The dev deserved my money anyway, so I just bought it for 10$ and will get my name in the game somewhere as playername/corporation or whatever :p

I paid the $30 for a weapon in the game. I think the game is good enough to merit that level of support.

Hm, a separate, uniquely designed combat arena for every building would be neat - and a lot of work. Probably unrealistic to expects such a thing.

I'd prefer the way it is now to 'randomly generated' arena, though, as I think the instant battlefield adds a layer of stress (since you can't leave the area) that makes the combat more exciting. Also means that you have a bit more think about when upgrading your stats (= if you're going to put the point towards expanding the hacking area or not).

Personally I think it would go really far towards solving the one complaint I think most people have with the game, which is that it gets old fast. I'm not sure there are enough loot addicts like us out there who will accept almost anything as long as there's a chance for rare drops.

Also, level design is my favorite thing out there. It kinda hurts me inside to play a game that simply lacks it altogether.

Toma

I paid the $30 for a weapon in the game. I think the game is good enough to merit that level of support.

It totally is, but I plan on buying 10-15 more indies this month for this thread and I cant throw 30$ at everything :p

Toma

Also, level design is my favorite thing out there. It kinda hurts me inside to play a game that simply lacks it altogether.

If you find out how to do the name/weapon thing, please let me know :) Not sure if the dev wants us to contact him or whether he will contact us or whatever.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for the retrospective, M_B! Seems like a lot of games went on to see the light of day which is great. I'm up for May or June 2013 unless someone else really wants to. We could easily split the list.

Personally I think it would go really far towards solving the one complaint I think most people have with the game, which is that it gets old fast. I'm not sure there are enough loot addicts like us out there who will accept almost anything as long as there's a chance for rare drops.

Yes, I see where you're coming from. I guess having some different level geometry would be a nice thing. That said, I don't want to miss the "hacking area" component, it adds a certain flow to the game that I like.

Only way I can think of to marry those two ideas would be a transformation of the area around the building you're hacking into the desired battle arena. Probably not something the dev is considering, sadly.

If you find out how to do the name/weapon thing, please let me know :) Not sure if the dev wants us to contact him or whether he will contact us or whatever.

Uh, I'm honestly not sure. I was already in an email conversation with him when I decided to upgrade to the weapon deal, so I just added in "Also I paid $30 for the custom weapon thing" to the next message I sent him.

Yes, I see where you're coming from. I guess having some different level geometry would be a nice thing. That said, I don't want to miss the "hacking area" component, it adds a certain flow to the game that I like.

Only way I can think of to marry those two ideas would be a transformation of the area around the building you're hacking into the desired battle arena. Probably not something the dev is considering, sadly.

You could just make it so leaving the bounds of the arena sends you back to the overworld. Plenty of games have done that.

Toma

Uh, I'm honestly not sure. I was already in an email conversation with him when I decided to upgrade to the weapon deal, so I just added in "Also I paid $30 for the custom weapon thing" to the next message I sent him.

You could just make it so leaving the bounds of the arena sends you back to the overworld. Plenty of games have done that.

If you are already in contact with him anyway, could you ask him for me how he handles that please?

daydream

Banned

Hm, you're not wrong. Btw because you said that you don't want to make demands - you can basically ask indie devs everything on Twitter or via mail as long as you do it (goes without saying) politely. At least in my experience. M_B would agree, I expect.

Hm, you're not wrong. Btw because you said that you don't want to make demands - you can basically ask indie devs everything on Twitter or via mail as long as you do it (goes without saying) politely. At least in my experience. M_B would agree, I expect.
Yeah, if you're just polite and friendly, devs love it when you give suggestions and ideas and feedback. They eat that stuff up. Outside perspectives and thoughts on their work is really helpful for them.

Something like a "Hey, really enjoying your game. I like this and that but it would be cool/interesting if..." in an email or Tweet should be fine

Toma

Sure! Next time I exchange messages with him I'll be sure to ask!

I just got a mail from him, so I guess that mystery is solved ;)

Also, first OP impressions of the month:

Aerobat
Very simple but cute idea to integrate 1 finger controls into a rather focussed shmup style highscore game. Escape the enemies by steering with the mouse and attack by flicking. The game isnt bad, but there isnt really much to it and I cant quite shake the mobile feeling I am getting from it.

Beautiful Prison
Short exploration game with light puzzle game elements that doesnt manage to be fun. The beginning is artsy enough, but the environment quickly becomes boring, especially during the highly amateurish seeming puzzle segments. The puzzles itself are just not interesting and the controls are horribly annoying.

Broken Robot Love
I was about to complain about the quality of the first games this month and then Broken Robot Love came along. On Adultswim grossly underrated with 6/10, this puzzle platformer manages to be actually refreshing and feel in a genre that isnt all that well known for unique concepts. Pressing X creates a create, and those creates will help you overcome several tricky challenges. Star of the show is the puzzle/level design because the developer manages to keep the challenges fresh and interesting.

>----------< Highly Recommended >----------<
1. Broken Robot Love
>----------< Recommended >----------<

>----------< Decent-ish >----------<

2. Aerobat
>----------< Bleh >----------<
3. Beautiful Prison

Games I might/might not check out eventually:
Beatblasters III - Low priority
Betrayer - High priority

April 2013
Another retrospective look at how indie games have progressed (or not) in a year's time
[insert rest of post here]
You should include Freedom Planet from that OP, too. It's listed under "Recently Released" in that OP, but it definitely wasn't - that was just a demo, and one that's been updated since! (Although it's mostly just bugfixes and inserting more up-to-date music.)

As for how that's coming along - pretty great! I wish I could more actively show off some of the cool stuff from the alpha, but, well, NDAs and all. Strife's crunching hard on it to try and get a finished beta out for the beta testers, and is presently aiming for a May 30th release date (pending anything necessitating delays). There's a relatively-recent trailer here showing off a lot of the newer content, as well as a slightly-out-of-date full playthrough of some of the earlier stages by GigaBoots here.

Also, BIKER NINJAS.

daydream

Banned
You should include Freedom Planet from that OP, too. It's listed under "Recently Released" in that OP, but it definitely wasn't - that was just a demo, and one that's been updated since! (Although it's mostly just bugfixes and inserting more up-to-date music.)

As for how that's coming along - pretty great! I wish I could more actively show off some of the cool stuff from the alpha, but, well, NDAs and all. Strife's crunching hard on it to try and get a finished beta out for the beta testers, and is presently aiming for a May 30th release date (pending anything necessitating delays). There's a relatively-recent trailer here showing off a lot of the newer content, as well as a slightly-out-of-date full playthrough of some of the earlier stages by GigaBoots here.

Also, BIKER NINJAS.

I remember playing that demo. Good to hear this game is still kicking! Somebody's gotta take up the slack for Sonic team, and you guys seem to be doing it expertly. (Also, apologies for dropping the S-word, you're probably sick of hearing it. :p)

Broken Robot Love

I was about to complain about the quality of the first games this month and then Broken Robot Love came along. On Adultswim grossly underrated with 6/10, this puzzle platformer manages to be actually refreshing and feel in a genre that isnt all that well known for unique concepts. Pressing X creates a create, and those creates will help you overcome several tricky challenges. Star of the show is the puzzle/level design because the developer manages to keep the challenges fresh and interesting.

I agree with your opinions about Broken Robot Love, the puzzles and the levels always felt fresh from what I played.

daydream

Banned
Enjoyed what I played of the full Mercenary Kings release which.. was surprising since the alpha left me feeling kinda lukewarm about that game. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

I agree with your opinions about Broken Robot Love, the puzzles and the levels always felt fresh from what I played.

Liking your new avatar. What's the panda from btw? (always wanted to ask :p) Edit: Wait, that's not the same panda, right? Last one was anime, this one looks like something out of South Park?

This dev is working on Skytorn, which is how I found Broken Robot Love
He actually has a large portfolio of freeware and flash games to play
http://www.noelberry.ca/
I'd also recommend Reach For It

Interesting. I'll try to check his other games if I have time.

Enjoyed what I played of the full Mercenary Kings release which.. was surprising since the alpha left me feeling kinda lukewarm about that game. Looking forward to spending more time with it.

Liking your new avatar. What's the panda from btw? (always wanted to ask :p) Edit: Wait, that's not the same panda, right? Last one was anime, this one looks like something out of South Park?

The previous one was from Shirokuma Cafe and this one is the Genma Saotome from Ranma 1/2

daydream

Banned
Broken Robot Love

I can appreciate the inventiveness behind the main puzzle mechanic as well as the fact that it is put to good use with some interesting level design. Unfortunately, spawning blocks got tiresome after a while. The controls weren't very fun to deal with once I had to summon and align several blocks in a row.

---

Code:
[B]Decent:[/B]

Broken Robot Love

---

This dev is working on Skytorn, which is how I found Broken Robot Love
He actually has a large portfolio of freeware and flash games to play
http://www.noelberry.ca/
I'd also recommend Reach For It

You posted about this guy in the last thread, I remember. Seems like a respectable portfolio. The one that caught my eye was Outpost. Game jam game that's very reminiscent of Metroid, but you can only take one hit. Lovely sound design and art style, too. That white outline on the characters, hnngh <3 had to make a gif.

P5ezUaj.gif

Dead Years gameplay, for those that might be interested

Really liking the look of the atmosphere and visuals, especially the weather effects

Gotta be honest, I'm getting more and more interested with every update. I'll have to check it out for the art style alone.

The previous one was from Shirokuma Cafe and this one is the Genma Saotome from Ranma 1/2

Ah, I watched Ranma as a kid, so I should have recognised him!

I know IOS games aren't usually featured, but I think this one deserves a mention because it's so damn gorgeous. GOTY material IMO. Every level is just artfully designed, unfolding like some incredible puzzle box, as you manipulate the environment. It's short and it's not that challenging, but it's the experience that matters here. Monument Valley is the kind of game that I just didn't want to end, because the world and art design was so well crafted

Monument Valley - $4 (IOS)
screen568x568.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id728293409

Monument Valley is a surreal exploration through fantastical architecture and impossible geometry. Guide the silent princess Ida through mysterious monuments, uncovering hidden paths, unfolding optical illusions and outsmarting the enigmatic Crow People.

My thoughts from the IOS thread
If I may be so bold, I'm going to go ahead and say Monument Valley is the epitome of what IOS gaming should be. At a time when "86% of gamers prefer free games with advertisments", where clones and clones of clones flood the charts and tear the spotlight away from the games that deserve it, where IAP and abusive freemium practices are rampant and only seem to grow more and more ubiquitous, we get a game like this, an original IOS exclusive, a premium game devoid of ads or in-app purchases, an experience that puts visual artistry and atmosphere first, that uses the tactile tangible nature of the touchscreen to its fullest potential, that is simple yet engaging and compelling. Monument Valley is not just a great IOS game, it's a great game regardless of system or platform.

If you do decide to get this game, I recommend not watching the trailers beforehand
---
Oh, and on a side note, FTL is out on iPad now

daydream

Banned
^I think that's a game we can gladly make an exception for. Looks gorgeous. Sucks that my Touch is kinda dying, so I don't have a device to reliably play it on.

Anyway, I would quite like to hear what you guys think of Mini Metro. I'm not crazy for really liking it, right?

Being a bit of a lifelong MC Escher fan, can't wait to go through Monument Valley when I have the chance. Which is a little ironic since when I went through the real Monument Valley I was suffering from severe travel sickness so I couldn't wait to get out of it.

Toma

Broken Robot Love

I can appreciate the inventiveness behind the main puzzle mechanic as well as the fact that it is put to good use with some interesting level design. Unfortunately, spawning blocks got tiresome after a while. The controls weren't very fun to deal with once I had to summon and align several blocks in a row.

I got pretty far in, but I think that is something I actually like about the game. The aligning and platforming was almost a mini puzzle in itself because you could either use the slowmotion time or positioning of your start character as a tactical advantage to reach the end goal in time. The box placement while being on the run was als rather... interesting as a mechanic that I cant recall seeing anywhere else.

There was a level where I jumped towards a destination and during the jump placed my box into a switch, which meant I was saving 1 second or so and then continued time to safely reach my destination before the switch door closes again. Feels really neat.

oipic

Was just reading through the AMA with the indie devs behind the games in the current Humble Weekly, and I'm baffled as to how I had missed the (old!) news that GAF's own Noogy is doing the animation work on Defender's Quest 2 - that's great!

Speaking of this AMA, it's well worth reading through for Daniel Fedor's thoughts on many indie dev-ish topics - the man speaks (just like he posts here) with great knowledge and sense, I think.

Just 6.5 hours or so remaining to snap up dcfedor's NEO Scavenger, and some other goodies, via the Humble Weekly.

Was just reading through the AMA with the indie devs behind the games in the current Humble Weekly, and I'm baffled as to how I had missed the (old!) news that GAF's own Noogy is doing the animation work on Defender's Quest 2 - that's great!

Speaking of this AMA, it's well worth reading through for Daniel Fedor's thoughts on many indie dev-ish topics - the man speaks (just like he posts here) with great knowledge and sense, I think.

Just 6.5 hours or so remaining to snap up dcfedor's NEO Scavenger, and some other goodies, via the Humble Weekly.

I also didn't know Noogie was working on Defender's Quest 2.

Guess this is a thing now. I'll get the GOATs out of the way first :p

Escape Goat 2
Starting Escape Goat 2, it's easy to believe that it's simply more of the same. Which isn't a bad thing by any means, because the first Escape Goat was so polished. That same charm remains, that same wonder of seeing levels shift and alter when you press a button, that same joy of figuring out some puzzle or accomplishing some precision platforming. While some may prefer the pixel look of the original, the new art style is wonderful, with great lighting and an artful textured look. And the mix of trial-and-error precision platforming is as compelling as ever. But then new mechanics are introduced, different abilities that allow for so many interesting puzzles and challenges. and Escape Goat 2 is revealed to be more of the same...but better, and far more diverse and varied than the first game ever was.

Goat Simulator
So you can't really talk about Goat Sim, without acknowledging its origin. A fun little jam experiment, that went viral and somehow become a real game. I think that sense of fun and just doing it for the love of making games rather than trying to develop a serious actual experience just permeates all aspects of Goat Simulator. You can tell the developers had an absolute blast making it and guess what, it's stupid and silly but so much fun. Even though the map is small, it's packed with cool little secrets and things to discover, the glitchy ragdoll physics never get old, and perhaps more than any game since Just Cause 2, it's a true sandbox. Sure there are some objectives, but the real fun is just equipping some of the crazy mutators and trying to accomplish some emergent goal and failing hilariously in the process. Steam Workshop support only gives Goat Sim more longevity and variety. So if you see Goat Simulator somewhere on my GOTY list in December, it's no joke. This is a genuinely fun, funny game that revels in its stupidity and craziness and silly mindless fun, and that makes it an experience worth playing
---
1. Escape Goat 2
2. Goat Simulator

FTL was updated! Advanced Edition is here
  • New systems & subsystems
  • Visual improvements
  • Hard Mode
  • Lanius race/ship
  • Type C Ship Layouts
  • New Drones
  • Gameplay Refinements

That's very exciting news, I'm a big fan of the original Defenders Quest, in fact I would go as far to say it is my favourite tower defense game, and the thought of the sequel having the high animation quality of Dust is an appealing one.

Prototype

How did I miss these new SUPERHOT images?! Game is looking fantastic

wow, this game is looking better and better. One of the best indie games I played last year, bar-none. Would love to see a full game release on consoles as well. More people need to try this out.

Thank god for that Monaco free weekend. Played the first three level, I'm sold. I'm guessing everyone else here already has it? I'm more of a single player guy, but co-op sounds fun

lefantome

I want to suggest UFHO2
I was a backer a couple of years ago but I've got the cheap iOS version because it's probably the best platform to play it.

UFHO2 - $3.99 (iOS) $8.79 (Humble Store)
07.jpg

http://www.tinycolossus.com/ufho2/

UFHO2 is a strategic competitive game for Pc and iOS.
The game has a deep gameplay and it's perfect for 1vs1 matches both locally and online(not available yet). If you don't want to play with real people, a story mode is provided.

Toma

Thank god for that Monaco free weekend. Played the first three level, I'm sold. I'm guessing everyone else here already has it? I'm more of a single player guy, but co-op sounds fun

One of the most disappointing Indie Games ever, not because its bad overall, but because of what it should have been and what it ended up becoming in comparison. I played a few dozen levels and its just so... bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom