• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel that the rest of year is quite barren and/or quiet AAA wise?

Biker19

Banned
There could be 0 (zero) AAA releases in any given year and I still wouldn't give a fuck, I just can't stand them anymore (with a few exceptions of course).

Me too. Gaming should all go back to the Arcade/NES days to the PS2/Gamecube/Dreamcast/Original Xbox days where Small-Tier gaming & Middle-Tier gaming prevailed.

Ultra Street Fighter IV
Pillars Of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Destiny
The Order 1886

All the AAA I Need.

Most of those aren't AAA titles.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
All the stuff I am looking forward to are original, non AAA PC games. I'll be just fine. I'm sick and tired of the annual bullshit.

The Order looks okay but its straight up rental status. Annual IPs get the same shit, new shine stuff, blah blah. I'm a bit over AAA. =/

dr_rus

The rest? What did we get during the beginning of the year? I've yet to play any new AAA game of 2014 yet.

thefro

Outside of the annualized stuff (batman, AC etc) only Alien looks interesting me.

Yeah, I think people are confusing "any title with a decent budget" for a "AAA" game.

In my eyes, AAA will always be a game that has a metascore of 90 or above (maybe 85 or above now that reviewers are grading a bit harder).

jblank83

So just like every year at this stage?

Pretty much.

Someone asked why publishers don't release in the summer. Video game releases are the same as the rest of the retail landscape. Summer is slowest because the market sells less in general during that time. It's summer. Kids are out of school. Families are spending money on vacations. People are going outside and doing outside stuff. If not a vacation, maybe they're just spending time at the movies (hence the term "Summer Blockbuster"). Companies are getting their product ready for the big holiday push.

Q1 - Spring - Recovery from the holidays, a couple of releases
Q2 - Summer - Dead
Q3 - Fall - Starting to get busy
Q4 - Holiday - Most big releases

This is the way it's been for ever and ever and ever. I was working video game retail 20 years ago and it was the exact same cycle. It hasn't changed. It's never going to change. Get used to it. A couple of releases in spring, a long dead spell, a handful of releases in fall, and then the big push in winter.

AHA-Lambda

OP I don't know if you're just unplugged from the games industry but there are way too many AAA games coming this year.

Evolve
Batman
Destiny
Quantum Break
Forza Horizon 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Watch Dogs
Sunset Overdrive
Halo 2/3 Anniversary
The Order
Drive Club (?)

That's just off the top of my head

I'm not unplugged, most of those I have no interest in. The only ones I care about from there are Batman and Destiny.

Ultra Street Fighter IV
Pillars Of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Destiny
The Order 1886

All the AAA I Need.

Most of those aren't AAA.

Guevara

Nothing "AAA" I'm interested in the rest of the year to be honest. The Order 1886 if it looks great maybe.

The only announced game I know I'll buy is The Witness.

AHA-Lambda

Just because you have no interest in them doesn't mean that the AAA space is "barren".

I still don't feel that takes away from the point I made in the op, with the quote from Nirolak. There has only been 4 announcements so far this year, it's been a bit of a dearth.

Corto

It's telling that some of the most important rumours currently are two last generation games (GTAV and TLOU) ports for current gen platforms. Playing it safe it's an understatement. I want Aliens Isolation, The Order and Drive Club to impress but I'll wait to see more final gameplay and impressions to be convinced they are good. In the meanwhile, Pillars of Eternity has a chance of releasing this year, that would be grand.

im in for:
Destiny
Alien Isolation
LotR
Arkham Night
The Order 1886
Mario kart
Evolve

which is plenty for me, just got an xbox 360 again so lots of games to work through there as well

I'm not unplugged, most of those I have no interest in. The only ones I care about from there are Batman and Destiny.

Most of those aren't AAA.

Then your OP is nonsensical. It isn't that there aren't many AAAs it's that there aren't AAAs that appeal to you (frankly it seems you have a very specific idea of what you want).

I mean you don't want a big RPG like Dragon Age, you aren't interested in racing games like Horizon 2 or Drive Club (despite the former being imo the greatest racer ever), etc. Not interested in Watch Dogs or Sunset Overdrive so I'm guessing you don't like open world games either? Not interested in Halo 2/3...

I still don't feel that takes away from the point I made in the op, with the quote from Nirolak. There has only been 4 announcements so far this year, it's been a bit of a dearth.

It's been 4 months. In 2 months we've got E3. The major publishers are going to need games to fill out their E3 presentations.

erawsd

Sure it does, you're saying that AAA is barren because there are only 4 games you are interested in and then tying that into some bunk doom+gloom statement about the future of AAA. Truth is, there are probably 15+ AAA releases that we are aware of right now, and thats not including all the annuals.

That said, maybe it is a low year -- I'm not sure I haven't looked into it. What do the numbers look like for past consoles during their release year? What does the average year even look like April-Dec?

Bgamer90

Banned
Maybe in terms of AAA exclusives but AAA games as a whole? No way. Many big name multiplats coming alongside the handful of AAA exclusives on each (now) current gen platform.

No way brah we still got Wolfenstein the New Order, Mario Golf, Arkham Knight, Smash Bros., Kirby Triple Deluxe and The Evil Within.

Loxley

Personally, I'm looking forward to Wolfenstein, LEGO The Hobbit, and The Amazing Spiderman 2. So the next month or two has enough releases to keep me going for a little while.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Wat.

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Watch Dogs
The Evil Within
Destiny
Alien: Isolation
Evolve
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Batman: Arkham Knight
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Dragon Age: Inquisition
DriveClub
Dying Light
Quantum Break
The Crew
The Order 1886
Bayonetta 2
Super Smash Bros. Wii U
Maybe X and Zelda U

Without counting a new CoD and BF. I'd say there are plenty of AAA games to look forward to this year.

Sotha_Sil

Dragon Age and Destiny will probably be enough to get me to The Division and The Witcher 3 (and these two will probably keep me busy for a very long time).

Zalman

Batman Arkham Knight
Watch Dogs
The Order 1886
Mario Kart
Smash Bros.
Bayonetta 2
X

I don't know about you, but I think that's a solid second half right there, especially considering they will definitely be more unannounced stuff at E3.

I know we have to see what comes at E3, but I doubt Mirror's Edge, Battlefront, KH3 and FFXV make this year. I keep fluctuating about Destiny, and I'm kind of burned out on Assassin's Creed and CoD. So that leaves Alien, The Order, and Batman.

But I don't mind. Dynasty Warriors 8 has a boatload of content and there's FFXIV. Plus I have a bunch of stuff in my backlog for Vita and PS3. It'll be nice to actually finish and check off a bunch of those games. I imagine after this year it'll start to ramp up, so it's nice to take advantage of the lull.

system11

With my conbined PS3 and PS4 backlogs I've never had so much to play through in years. I'm doing the Uncharted series at the moment, spent most of last gen on the 360 so they're brand new to me. There's only a lack of games if you restrict yourself to purely AAA on a new platform.

I will be buying Sniper Elite 3. While I don't think it counts as a AAA title, it does get copious amounts of praise.

Beyond that Dragon Age: Inquisition is the only sure day-one buy for me.

Batman: Arkham Knight looks fantastic but it always pays off with Arkham titles to wait for the GOTY Edition.

I've lost all interest in Watch_Dogs, I'll wait for the GAFpinion and for it to drop in price to at least $40.

I love the High Moon Transformers games, but since they aren't involved with Rise of the Dark Spark and it has Bayformers, I am not hopeful.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor looks good, but I haven't seen enough to make me want it for full price.

I am not buying Assassin's Creed: Unity because the player character is not a woman. I don't care about that period of French history at all, the only thing that would make me want to play it is if the player character was a woman.

Battlefield 5/Police Warfare? Good fucking luck EADICE.

nbraun80

Sony have Destiny. They're treating it like an exclusive and it's also being marketed as such.

With both early beta access and exclusive Playstation content, the PS4 version is easily going to sell the most out of all platforms.

By then the PS4 will be handily over 10 million consoles sold (they'll likely already surpass this by E3 if they continue on their current sales trajectory), and even the mainstream know that the PS4 is the more powerful console, so that's the platform they'd be inclined to purchase it for.

Any major Destiny buff will be buying it for the PS4.

Coupled with The Order 1886, Driveclub (whenever that launches), plus other third-party titles (AssCreed, BF5, COD, etc.), Sony is going to have a great year.
honestly this is quite ridiculous. So AC4 and Diablo 3 were Sony exclusives last year because they got exclusive content/marketed more towards Sony platforms?

Anyways, I think all platforms have some good lineups plus probably 1 or 2 each at e3. Those plus multiplats and it should be a good year.

Some Nobody

Mario Kart, Smash, Bayo 2, X

Good year for me!

That won't be localized this year. Witcher 3 being delayed made me understand it's okay to admit this.

No Witcher 3? 2014 is done game-wise for me.

Then you either play one game a year or the year was already shit game-wise for you to begin with.

Yearly franchises make me sick. I can't wait until they start selling like shit and companies like Ubisoft go under.

Anyways as I get older a few amazing games in the AAA space a year are all I need and luckily I still get that. So far Donkey Kong is the only one for the year that's fit that standard but soon Mario Kart comes out so that's good.

So basically thank god for companies like Nintendo for not treating thier audience like morons like the rest of AAA developers.

The thing about this post is that it assumes that these games are bought every year by people who don't enjoy them, they're just going through the motions. But they aren't--there are plenty of people who legitimately enjoy those games. I've got a friend who's enjoyed every AC so far except 3.

As far as announcements? Yeah this year's been boring. I've been saying that for months. As a gamer January to March was SO dull. But, as far as actual games...

Watch_Dogs at the end of May
June to September is actually pretty quiet, you got me there. There's a 1% chance that Rise of the Dark Spark is as good as Fall of Cybertron, in which case I'll play that five times over I'm sure.
Destiny in September
Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor and Batman: Arkham Knight in October (the latter only if I hear Nightwing/Robin are playable in campaign)

And then there are the games with miscellaneous release dates:

- Lords of the Fallen
- Super Smash Bros.
- Dragon Age: Inquisition
- The Order: 1886

Lastly there's the games that I'd love to see in 2014 but may not make it:
- Legend of Zelda
- Uncharted 4

Honestly the only way I can even afford all these games is to put a little aside every month to pay them off. Otherwise there would be no way.

RM8

Most games I want are not really AAA games.

- Ultra Street Fighter IV
- Kero Blaster
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Smash Bros. 4
- Shovel Knight
- Mario Golf: World Tour
- Trials Fusion

AHA-Lambda

Then your OP is nonsensical. It isn't that there aren't many AAAs it's that there aren't AAAs that appeal to you (frankly it seems you have a very specific idea of what you want).

I mean you don't want a big RPG like Dragon Age, you aren't interested in racing games like Horizon 2 or Drive Club (despite the former being imo the greatest racer ever), etc. Not interested in Watch Dogs or Sunset Overdrive so I'm guessing you don't like open world games either? Not interested in Halo 2/3...

It's been 4 months. In 2 months we've got E3. The major publishers are going to need games to fill out their E3 presentations.

Apart from racing (which has never interested me) I am interested in both RPGs and open world games but the examples you cite don't interest me. plus, we don't know anything about Sunset Overdrive so it's hardly worth bringing up I feel.

As for E3, how many games do you honestly think are going to be announced there for a 2014 release? At this point of the year, any further announcements with the exception of Nintendo, Battlefield and CoD are post 2014.

Sure it does, you're saying that AAA is barren because there are only 4 games you are interested in and then tying that into some bunk doom+gloom statement about the future of AAA. Truth is, there are probably 15+ AAA releases that we are aware of right now, and thats not including all the annuals.

That said, maybe it is a low year -- I'm not sure I haven't looked into it. What do the numbers look like for past consoles during their release year? What does the average year even look like April-Dec?

Yes, I do see your point and I did say in the OP, that of course there is a large degree of subjectivity here, as has been shown in the thread - some agree with me, some don't.

But I do think that personal opinions aside, it's still been quieter than usual, there have been less announcements abound for the year so far. It is kind of strange.

GamerJM

Banned
Destiny interests me more than any AAA game since like......probably Halo 3, depending on what you consider AAA. the Order looks good as well. Most of the games I'm excited for aren't really AAA (Smash, X, Mario Kart, Project Diva F 2nd, Layton vs. Wright, Gauntlet, Guilty Gear Xrd, Persona 5), but that's the norm for me.

NotUS

The Division
Project Cars
Star Citizen
Everquest Next
Uncharted 4
Lords of the Fallen
Mad Max

are most of these still coming out this year?

Also a bunch of rumored HD remakes, GTA5, Last of Us, Uncharted trilogy, Metro series for those who didn't play them last gen.

Some Nobody

Most games I want are not really AAA games.

- Ultra Street Fighter IV
- Kero Blaster
- Mario Kart 8
- Super Smash Bros. 4
- Shovel Knight
- Mario Golf: World Tour
- Trials Fusion

It could be me, but I think MK, Smash, and even USF are still AAA. But then AAA to me just means "high profile".

The Division
Project Cars
Star Citizen
Everquest Next
Uncharted 4
Lords of the Fallen
Mad Max

are most of these still coming out this year?

Also a bunch of rumored HD remakes, GTA5, Last of Us, Uncharted trilogy, Metro series for those who didn't play them last gen.

The only ones I would say aren't coming out this year are The Division and maaybe Uncharted 4. Depends. ND seems to be having some trouble.

I'm more concerned with the impressions of the AAA games itself rather than the lack of instead. So far they've only impressed us with visuals, gameplay-wise are still under heavy skepticism (and rightfully so) thanks to the recent downgrades that happened in the past month.

The only big games I see myself buying right now are Arkham Knight and Bayonetta 2. I guess I'll have Drive Club, too, if that ever comes out and if it's still a Playstation Plus thing. I don't mind, though; it'll give me a good chance to try and clear out my crippling backlog.

mechphree

I'll agree at least this year Summer is pretty empty. More games will be announced at e3 but I would guess the majority of them won't come out this year.

Some Nobody

I'm more concerned with the impressions of the AAA games itself rather than the lack of instead. So far they've only impressed us with visuals, gameplay-wise are still under heavy skepticism (and rightfully so) thanks to the recent downgrades that happened in the past month.

Besides Watch_Dogs and Dark Souls, what other downgrades have there been?

I won't have a lot to look forward to once I have my hands on Dark Souls 2 in 20 days from now besides, I don't know...Bayonetta 2. The Last Guardian is still MIA. I still don't see an opportune time for me to jump on to the next-gen bandwagon. I guess I'll see once more games are shown off.

Looks like business as usual for big triple A titles this year. If you find you are not interested then it's rather your changing tastes than some sea change within the industry.

Top Bottom