• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feel that the rest of year is quite barren and/or quiet AAA wise?

playXray

Personally, I'm concerned that I'm not going to have time to play all the games I want to get this year. Just about to get stuck into FFXIV on PS4, then there's Dark Souls II out on PC in a few weeks - by the time I'm finished with those, Elder Scrolls online will be out on PS4 (June), and then there's Dragon Age 3 and Batman Arkham Knight later in the year.

On top of these, there's the new Oddworld remake, Minecraft PS4 (not exactly AAA but still), Watchdogs, Wolfenstein, Alien Isolation, The Witness, Diablo III PS4, Driveclub, Shadow of Mordor and The Order 1886 all scheduled for some time this year, most of which I will likely buy.

To be fair, I have a two year old son now, who takes up most of my spare time, but I'm still pretty stoked about playing all these games!

Pain

Banned
No, I think there's a lot of great AAA titles this year. I'm actually going to have to pass on some of them.

BraXzy

I was thinking this till the posts in the thread reminded me of all the games announced I forgot about. I'm not going to be able to afford or play all the ones I want that are already announced!

Halo 2/5
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
The Division
Destiny
Evolve
Watch_Dogs
Wolfenstein
Arkham Knight
Shadow of Mordor
Witcher 3
Alien Isolation
Smash Bros
X
Zelda (possibly out this year)
Lords of the Fallen (possibly out this year)

And then there's the multiplat sequels to be expected but I'll probably only grab the new AC from that pool. So yeah now that I think about it, I'm happy if not scared for the releases this year.

Vashetti

Banned
Sony's gotta have more than just The Order. They're not that stupid.

Sony have Destiny. They're treating it like an exclusive and it's also being marketed as such.

With both early beta access and exclusive Playstation content, the PS4 version is easily going to sell the most out of all platforms.

By then the PS4 will be handily over 10 million consoles sold (they'll likely already surpass this by E3 if they continue on their current sales trajectory), and even the mainstream know that the PS4 is the more powerful console, so that's the platform they'd be inclined to purchase it for.

Any major Destiny buff will be buying it for the PS4.

Coupled with The Order 1886, Driveclub (whenever that launches), plus other third-party titles (AssCreed, BF5, COD, etc.), Sony is going to have a great year.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno if I'd count Halo 2 Anniversary as a AAA release. Can a remake really be considered AAA? I'm assuming it'll just be the same game with a fresh coat of paint, like Halo CEA.

impact

Banned
Sony have Destiny. They're treating it like an exclusive and it's also being marketed as such.

With both early beta access and exclusive Playstation content, the PS4 version is easily going to sell the most out of all platforms.

By then the PS4 will be handily over 10 million consoles sold (they'll likely already surpass this by E3 if they continue on their current sales trajectory), and even the mainstream know that the PS4 is the more powerful console, so that's the platform they'd be inclined to purchase it for.

Any major Destiny buff will be buying it for the PS4.

Coupled with The Order 1886, Driveclub (whenever that launches), plus other third-party titles (AssCreed, BF5, COD, etc.), Sony is going to have a great year.

I just can't see them closing out the year with only 1-2 more exclusives and I don't really have faith that Driveclub is coming anytime soon. They've gotta announce some 2014 exclusives at E3, and I'm pretty sure they will.

Vire

I'm not particularly worried about September on, it's now till then that has me skittish.

What is coming out in April, May, June, July, August?

noobasuar

Banned
Yearly franchises make me sick. I can't wait until they start selling like shit and companies like Ubisoft go under.

Anyways as I get older a few amazing games in the AAA space a year are all I need and luckily I still get that. So far Donkey Kong is the only one for the year that's fit that standard but soon Mario Kart comes out so that's good.

So basically thank god for companies like Nintendo for not treating thier audience like morons like the rest of AAA developers.

Destiny, Evolve, Batman Arkham Knight, Alien Isolation (probs put this in the AA catergory though), Inevitable Halo game of some kind, COD, Assassins Creed, Sunset Overdrive, The Order, Driveclub.

There are tons coming, especially when you count the unannounced but defo coming stuff like COD.

bebop242

I'm honestly fine with watch dogs, destiny and ps4 diablo 3 edition for the rest of the year. Anything else (driveclub lol) will be gravy.

Cse

Banned
Yearly franchises make me sick. I can't wait until they start selling like shit and companies like Ubisoft go under.

I don't think it would be good for the industry if Ubisoft tanked. However, I do agree with you about annualized franchises - I absolutely hate them.

Rockstar has the correct model - instead of releasing the same diluted game every year, develop a single, stellar game and release it every 5 years.

Vire

Anyways as I get older a few amazing games in the AAA space a year are all I need and luckily I still get that. So far Donkey Kong is the only one for the year that's fit that standard but soon Mario Kart comes out so that's good.

So basically thank god for companies like Nintendo for not treating thier audience like morons like the rest of AAA developers.

Yes, "awful companies" like Ubisoft who are putting out new and exciting IP's like Child of Light should go out of business.

Meanwhile, I find it incredibly ironic you mention Nintendo, considering they haven't made a new console IP since Animal Crossing and Wii Sports.

Sid

I think 3rd parties and MS will have a slew of AAA games this year,I doubt Sony will have anything more than The Order and DriveClub for the fall TBH.

Sony's gotta have more than just The Order. They're not that stupid.
They kinda are,PS All Stars was their flagship game of 2012 IIRC.

AHA-Lambda

I'm not particularly worried about September on, it's now till then that has me skittish.

Oh god yeah :/

Murdered: Soul Suspect? Wolfenstein?

I don't want companies going under, but apart from that, spot on.

Destiny
Watch Dogs
New Assassin's Creed
Alien
Batman
Wolfenstein
The Order 1866
New Calladuty
Probably that Police themed Battlefield game
Ultra Street Fighter 4
Wasteland 2
Mario Kart
Bayonetta 2
(numerous unnanounced Nintendo titles, since you know they have 3-4 for the summer-holiday not yet announced)
Diablo 3 on PS4

That's enough for me for the rest of the year.

I'll be playing Dark Souls 2 all summer anyway. And Still loving Battlefield 4 from last holiday. Naval Strike is so good.

AHA-Lambda

The fact that 4 of these 5 could be considered new IP/Franchises, impresses me.

And about 3 of the 5 are pretty played out and we've been playing games like them throughout the generation.

The only new ones are Destiny and Alien, which is only new for the AAA space.

No. I think there are a bunch of interesting games. I only have three definite buys so far but about six or seven others I'm interested in.

I think I'll end up with seven AAA titles this year and that's without E3.

jblank83

Look at all this lack of PC games

Divinity
Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
etc

Wait, is this just about big budget cinematic console action games? Then who cares. There are a ton of other games to play.

Vire

Oh god yeah :/

Murdered: Soul Suspect? Wolfenstein?

I don't want companies going under, but apart from that, spot on.

Here's hoping indie/smaller downloadable games carry us through the dry months.

The Witness
Hohokum
Hyperlight Drifter
Transistor
Child of Light (April 30th I know for sure)

The rest will hopefully release in the summer... otherwise I might lose my mind.

AHA-Lambda

Look at all this lack of PC games

Divinity
Wasteland 2
Project Eternity
etc

Wait, is this just about big budget cinematic console action games? Then who cares. There are a ton of other games to play.

Oh I'm interested in all of those but I still thought there'd be more AAA stuff that'd interest me than there is.

Could be because it's a transitional year, could be because I'm getting sick of tired genre conventions. Probably both.

I've got a beast of a backlog, so all I really want to know is release dates for Helldivers, Cosmic Star Heroine and Hyper Light Drifter and I'll be pretty happy for the rest of the year :)

I am OK with this. AAA gaming does not excite me like it used to. Danganronpa 2 is coming out in the fall. Destiny in September. I am fine and my wallet needs a break.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yeah, summer kind of blows this year. Looking forward to Wolfenstein and Watch_Dogs though. Hopefully Metro Redux hits in the summer as well.

jblank83

Oh I'm interested in all of those but I still thought there'd be more AAA stuff that'd interest me than there is.

Could be because it's a transitional year, could be because I'm getting sick of tired genre conventions. Probably both.

I think "AAA" is a silly concept. Like you, I grew tired of being sold games based on cinematics and budget size. Great gameplay, creativity, good art, good music. That's what I want, and it doesn't matter if the game's production meets an incredibly arbitrary definition of "AAA" or not.

What is AAA nowadays anyway? 50 million budget? Cinematics? Who knows.

Vire

Yeah, summer kind of blows this year. Looking forward to Wolfenstein and Watch_Dogs though. Hopefully Metro Redux hits in the summer as well.

Is Wolfenstein being developed by id? If so, I have no idea why people are anticipating it.

KoopaTheCasual

The impression I'm getting from the OP and comments is that this Fall and Holiday are absolutely packed (maybe too much so), and the summer is barren as shit. Why do publishers always shy away from Summer releases? From a person with zero cumulative sales data and market research on hand like myself, it seems like Summer would only benefit releases since kids are out of school and have significantly more free time and time to watch tv, no?

I feel like it's one of those dumb circular marketing taboos, like how "games won't sell if you put a girl on the cover!" that are just self fulfilling prophecies.

Yes, "awful companies" like Ubisoft who are putting out new and exciting IP's like Child of Light should go out of business.

Meanwhile, I find it incredibly ironic you mention Nintendo, considering they haven't made a new console IP since Animal Crossing and Wii Sports.
Dude... it's noob. Why would you waste your time and energy on him concerning all things Nintendo?

OP I don't know if you're just unplugged from the games industry but there are way too many AAA games coming this year.

Evolve
Batman
Destiny
Quantum Break
Forza Horizon 2
Dragon Age Inquisition
Watch Dogs
Sunset Overdrive
Halo 2/3 Anniversary
The Order
Drive Club (?)

That's just off the top of my head

noobasuar

Banned

Why is it ironic that I mentioned Nintendo? I mean sure I like new IP's but that's hardly an important factor. I like games with well thought out design and gameplay.

I wouldn't be talking shit about Ubisoft if they released a yearly Assisians Creed that featured amazing gameplay every year. But they don't.

No way. I'll probably end up buying more retail games this year than any other (I usually pick 4-5 top tier games). I've already bought Thief and Infamous this year. For the rest of the year I have

Day 1 will buy
GTA V (PS4)
TLOU (PS4)
The Order 1886 (PS4)
Assassins Creed 5 (PS4)

Will wait for reviews before buying
Watch Dogs (PS4)
Quantumn Break (X1)
Alien Isolation (PS4)

Add to that some really compelling downloadable titles (KI Season 2 in particular) and some games none of us have heard of yet and this is shaping up to be a huge year.

Top Bottom