• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #140 - "Nameless"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

I've never seen so little activity in one of these threads so close to the deadline :D It's like a ghosttown in here.

Cyan

Banned
Anyone who's a little bit late should be fine. Let me know by PM if you're going to be a lot late, as happened in a few cases in the last challenge.

Cyan

Banned
Also, I've had to ask at least one person to resend because the version of Word on my home computer couldn't read their file. doc, docx, rtf, or txt should all be fine (or again, text in a PM). Otherwise I might have to ask you to resend in a different format.

Secondary is optional right?

Yes, feel free to submit as normal, or to send me an already passworded PDF using as the password. If you haven't already. ;)

Tangent

I'm all for anything that motivates you to write better. But chasing votes doesn't have a specific goal in mind. Try discounting a few challenges and going for something specific such as hey, I'd like my characters to have a lot of depth. Or hey, I'd really like to be able to tell my story better. Or hey, how about trying to figure out how to deliver my punch lines better? etc...

Cheers to that! I don't think Ourobolus nor I were saying that we are chasing votes, and we are reminding each other that trying to improve your writing in more specific ways is probably the way to go. So I think we're in complete agreement with you.

OK... back to writing. Stupid internet. *plunks away on keyboard*

Cyan

Banned
It'll be at least a little bit before the stories go up. I've had a few people let me know they're running a little late, and I'm still waiting on the person who was using a format I couldn't read to send me a new version.

Also, don't forget that you're not really supposed to use the theme for your story title. ;) Not gonna DQ you or anything, but it'd lead to confusion if more than one person does it.

Cyan

Banned
You've got probably a bit over two hours before the stories go up. If you're still working on yours, hop to it!

GRW810

What's the very best or easiest way to send you the story? PM is out because I'd like to keep my formatting intact.

Cyan

Banned
What's the very best or easiest way to send you the story? PM is out because I'd like to keep my formatting intact.

Word doc or rtf are probably best. You'd have to redo italics etc if you send via PM, but it can work.

And please note if there's any special formatting that you want kept the same. Otherwise I'm making all fonts the same, using the same paragraph break style and so on.

Carlisle

Word doc or rtf are probably best. You'd have to redo italics etc if you send via PM, but it can work.

And please note if there's any special formatting that you want kept the same. Otherwise I'm making all fonts the same, using the same paragraph break style and so on.

Whoopsie, totally forgot about formatting. I'll make a quick adjustment and PM a new link in doc rather than txt this time. 30 seconds!

Cyan

Banned
And we're off! Please everyone take a quick glance at your entry, to see if I screwed something up while formatting and/or PDFing. PM me and I will quietly fix it behind the scenes.

I'm not going to list the entrants (though feel free to let people know that you entered or didn't... or to lie about it!), but I'll give you this. This challenge contains:

At least one regular.
At least one total noob.
At least one surprising entrant.
At least one returning regular that hasn't submitted in a while.
At least one person I expected to submit who didn't.
At least one story by me.

This post contains at least one lie.

Ashes

Banned
This challenge contains:

At least one regular.
At least one total noob.
At least one surprising entrant.
At least one returning regular that hasn't submitted in a while.
At least one person I expected to submit who didn't.

This post contains at least one lie.

Well there's definitely at least one lie in there. Because I believe you.
Just a cursory glance suggests to me that at least two people from a while back have returned. But honestly I have no idea.

Following this post, I promise not to lie for the rest of the thread.

1. I did enter.
2. I think Mike Works did too.
3. And Dnd... maybe.

Tangent

I hope it's just '=' and not '>=' cuz then you would have rigged the challenge with multiple entries!

Also, I see the stories are in alphabetical order. Was this a striking coincidence in that the alphabetical order is also reflective of the order of submissions?

Nezumi

I hope it's just '=' and not '>=' cuz then you would have rigged the challenge with multiple entries!

Also, I see the stories are in alphabetical order. Was this a striking coincidence in that the alphabetical order is also reflective of the order of submissions?

I would think that this was his doing.
But I'm wondering when can we start with speculations about who wrote which story? Like right away or do we wait till after the actual voting?

Ourobolus

Banned
I was thinking maybe spoiler tags for each critique you write?

At least that was what I was planning on doing.
Baby Shoes -
_______Nezumi_____
- Needs more twerking.

Nezumi

I was thinking maybe spoiler tags for each critique you write?

At least that was what I was planning on doing.
Baby Shoes -
_______Nezumi_____
- Needs more twerking.

That was along the same lines I thought as well, but then again I also think that it would be fun to have and open discussion with wild guesses after the results are in.

Carlisle

I've already got a couple guesses just going off the titles. But yeah, I don't think we should give away our guesses prior to voting. Perhaps we should even wait until the voting period has ended? Or will we all be too anxious to get going on the next one by then? Ourobolus's suggestion splits the difference so maybe that's the answer, but I don't think there should be any peeking by anyone until they've posted their own votes.

Cyan

Banned
I would think that this was his doing.
But I'm wondering when can we start with speculations about who wrote which story? Like right away or do we wait till after the actual voting?

Oh no, go ahead! I plan to reveal the writers after the voting closes, so get your speculation in now. ;)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Oh no, go ahead! I plan to reveal the writers after the voting closes, so get your speculation in now. ;)

You should just post the list of participants right now. Would make speculation more fun.

Anyway, Baby Shoes is Mike M.

Mike M

Nick N
You should just post the list of participants right now. Would make speculation more fun.
Yeah, I'm doing these feedback and I think I kind of need a list of whom to chose from.

Anyway, Baby Shoes is Mike M.
I'm willing to play coy about any other guess, but I'll go on record that this one was not me. My wife and I actually went through this experience, and it's not something I'll ever write about.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Just throwing wild guesses here, didn't mean to unlock any repressed traumas.

The City You Once Loved is Pau.

Seriously, there's 17 entries. Just post a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist.

Nezumi

Just throwing wild guesses here, didn't mean to unlock any repressed traumas.

The City You Once Loved is Pau.

Seriously, there's 17 entries. Just post a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist.

Either her or maybe fiction, just going by the use of imagery.

Edit:This is actually quite fun. Makes me wish I didn't have to wait until tomorrow to read the rest, but Camp NaNo is demanding my presence.

Cyan

Banned
Hmm, the first time we did this a list of entrants was not provided. The second time it was.

If there's a significant outcry for the list, I might post it. Or, again, you guys can always reveal yourselves and get your own list started! ;)

Mike M

Nick N
Hmm, the first time we did this a list of entrants was not provided. The second time it was.

If there's a significant outcry for the list, I might post it. Or, again, you guys can always reveal yourselves and get your own list started! ;)

Gimme a list, Cyan.
Shoot_the_dog.jpg

Gimme a list.

Ashes

Banned

You can always post the list plus a single red herring. There are so many entries, we can name pretty much anyone. And the chances of everyone voting is slim to none.

Edit: on second thoughts just post 17 correct names not 18. I have no idea who wrote what. Where's Aaron's entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom