• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #140 - "Nameless"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashes

Banned
1. Ashes
2. Aaron ?
3. Bootaaay
4. B-Dubs
5. Carlisle
6. Chainsawkitten
7. Cyan ?
8. Elfforkusu ?
9. GRW810
10. kaeper
11. John Dunbar
12. Mike M
13. Nezumi
14. Ourobolus
15. sober ?
16. Tangent
17. zero ray ?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
1. Ashes
2. Aaron ?
3. Bootaaay
4. B-Dubs
5. Carlisle
6. Chainsawkitten
7. Cyan ?
8. Elfforkusu ?
9. GRW810
10. kaeper
11. John Dunbar
12. Mike M
13. Nezumi
14. Ourobolus
15. sober ?
16. Tangent
17. zero ray ?

You read them all already? Damn.

For some reason I thought I had another week, so I will spoil you and let you all know I didn't enter.

This is my sad face because I was super excited about this one.

Cyan

Banned
For some reason I thought I had another week, so I will spoil you and let you all know I didn't enter.

This is my sad face because I was super excited about this one.

Boooooo!

Am I going to have to start pestering you with PMs? :p

Mike M

Nick N
I've read everything and written up feedback, but I'm withholding it pending a list of names of participants so I can take a stab at guessing : P

Boooooo!

Am I going to have to start pestering you with PMs? :p

Yes, totally. I have NO idea why I thought I had another week. I was all ready to start really getting into it Monday. I feel dumb as hell lol.

I am going to blame the new meds and call it not my fault
though it's totally my fault

Sober

1. Ashes
2. Aaron ?
3. Bootaaay
4. B-Dubs
5. Carlisle
6. Chainsawkitten
7. Cyan ?
8. Elfforkusu ?
9. GRW810
10. kaeper
11. John Dunbar
12. Mike M
13. Nezumi
14. Ourobolus
15. sober ?
16. Tangent
17. zero ray ?
How did you almost get all the names in alphabetical order? Devil!

I've read everything and written up feedback, but I'm withholding it pending a list of names of participants so I can take a stab at guessing : P
Yeah I was thinking of that too, votes go up, Cyan reveals the list, everyone vomits out their crits because I'm sure unless you're Mike M you don't feel like critiquing your own piece.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Can we just get a list of everyone who submitted so everyone can just post their picks already. Even with a list we'll still need to guess at who wrote what.

Or is someone going to go without one and start us off? Not me obviously, but one of you brave souls.

Ourobolus

Banned
I dunno if I'm going to even have time to give critiques this time. Hopefully I'll have my votes up soon enough though.

Nezumi

How did you almost get all the names in alphabetical order? Devil!

Yeah I was thinking of that too, votes go up, Cyan reveals the list, everyone vomits out their crits because I'm sure unless you're Mike M you don't feel like critiquing your own piece.

Nah, I think coming up with a believable critic for your own piece is part of the fun this time around.

But I really want that list, too.

GRW810

Am I the only one who has no interest in such a list? At least until the votes are closed and a winning story declared. I'm enjoying reading this batch without a clue who wrote what. Although I've enjoyed having a guess at the authors.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Am I the only one who has no interest in such a list? At least until the votes are closed and a winning story declared. I'm enjoying reading this batch without a clue who wrote what. Although I've enjoyed having a guess at the authors.

I feel this would be more inclusive with an alphabetical list of participants. There's very little reason for anyone to guess someone who has not participated very often (or ever) has written a story, and as such the guesses will be loaded with regulars. If we know everyone who entered this time around, then we can guarantee everyone will at least get to have that "people think I wrote this garbage?!" feeling.

Plus, there's 17 entries. That's enough for it to be plenty muddled even if the pool is known.

Ashes

Banned
I've read about 10 stories so far. Going purely by the page count, I'd say they're averaging around 1500 to 1700 with a couple going over two thousand. That's about 15,000 words.

Honestly, I have no clue who wrote any of these, so at this point, I'm just looking to the 7 stories I haven't read, and hoping they aren't 2500 words.

Sincerest thanks to the folks who wrote around ~1500 words. I know there must be an absolutely mindblowing story written that is over two thousand words, but reading 20,000 words in a day or so, seems a bit too much, to give half decent crits. So no feedback, just guesses.

On a separate note, I wish to revoke my previous pledge of telling the truth at all times. I may or may not be telling the truth from now on.

Ourobolus

Banned

I haven't been around long enough to really get a feel for everyone (except maybe like one or two people), so I don't really care. The list can come after we vote or before, doesn't matter to me.

I've read about 10 stories so far. Going purely by the page count, I'd say they're averaging around 1500 to 1700 with a couple going over two thousand. That's about 15,000 words.

Honestly, I have no clue who wrote any of these, so at this point, I'm just looking to the 7 stories I haven't read, and hoping they aren't 2500 words.

Sincerest thanks to the folks who wrote around ~1500 words. I know there must be an absolutely mindblowing story written that is over two thousand words, but reading 20,000 words in a day or so, seems a bit too much, to give half decent crits. So no feedback, just guesses.
This too. I know mine is one of the longer ones, but yeah, 16 entries is taking forever to get through. About halfway done. Urgh.

Mike M

Nick N
Hell, I've been doing this since the start of last year, and I'd have difficulty telling who among the regulars wrote any of this. All I have is basically "Hey, Nezumi writes fairy tale-like stuff, right?" And then we get like... Three fairy tales this week.

Ashes

Banned
Hell, there's times where I think I wrote something when I didn't. This is one of the guesses I have:

baby shoes - I don't think I wrote this. If I did, cyan doesn't know it. Complete guess: grw

edit: to be fair, I thought it was written by D4danger, but GRW is a safer bet cause he posted in the thread. But it's a guess by a long long shot.

Ourobolus

Banned
Hell, I've been doing this since the start of last year, and I'd have difficulty telling who among the regulars wrote any of this. All I have is basically "Hey, Nezumi writes fairy tale-like stuff, right?" And then we get like... Three fairy tales this week.
Heh, I was mostly thinking "Nezumi's from Germany, right?"

"Witch Hunter"

EDIT: Wow. At least two stories in second-person. :/

Nezumi

Heh, I was mostly thinking "Nezumi's from Germany, right?"

"Witch Hunter"

EDIT: Wow. At least two stories in second-person. :/

And you would really think that I would be so stupid as to use a German title in the one challenge where we try to be anonymous... *slightly offended*

She wouldn't be that obvious. Unless she knew we'd think she wouldn't be that obvious...

Well, there's a thought...

Nezumi

Nezumi wrote the witch hunter story confirmed. One down, 16 to go!

Funny... I think in pinning the witch hunter story on me you are just trying to cover the fact that you wrote it and deliberatly used a german title to make it seem like I wrote it.

Ourobolus

Banned
Funny... I think in pinning the witch hunter story on me you are just trying to cover the fact that you wrote it and deliberatly used a german title to make it seem like I wrote it.

I thought that too. He was the first one to reply and quickly divert our attention...

I need a list of everyone who wrote a story who don't live in the US. That way I can easily determine the people who use terrible spelling like "recognised" and crazy people who go around roundabouts clockwise.

Ashes

Banned

Well, I didn't get the title reference, nor the fact that you write fairy tales, but I still pinned you for it. Ha ha.

Hexenjäger - No clue. Maybe J.D. Maybe Nezumi. I'll go with Nez, even if it is a bit longer than what she typically writes.

But I don't have any idea.

That and I would never write something like "bereft of their senses". If that doesn't sound like Mike M than I don't know what does.

A twist. A twist.

I have no idea

Mike M

Nick N

I don't think you've ever used a German title that I can recall. If it *is* an attempt to pin it on you, it's a bad one :p

I thought that too. He was the first one to reply and quickly divert our attention...

Or I always camp these threads on voting days anyway and would therefore more likely to see a post and respond quickly :p

I need a list of everyone who wrote a story who don't live in the US. That way I can easily determine the people who use terrible spelling like "recognised" and crazy people who go around roundabouts clockwise.
Heh, I don't think it needs to be *that* detailed, but there are obviously a few entrants from across the pond and I only know about Ashes.

GRW810

Out of the random batch I've read so far I think I've identified Ourobolus, Nezumi, John Dunbar and either Cyan or Tangent, who write fairly similarly.

I am as close to certain as possible which story Ourobolus wrote.

I definitely haven't read the submissions from Mike M or Ashes. I'd know their prose, I think.

Nezumi

Well other than Ashes I think that GRW810 and SquiddyCracker are from the UK. Chainsawkitten is from Sweden (or Denmark?) and toddhunter is from Australia I think.

Ashes

Banned
Heh, I don't think it needs to be *that* detailed, but there are obviously a few entrants from across the pond and I only know about Ashes.

Aye. And Bootaaay. And a couple of Canadians. Sober?

But because I do want people to help me out in figuring out who wrote what: I wouldn't trust stuff like that. Last time we did that, a few people deliberately turned the tables, and people fell for it.

I can't find Cyan yet. I thought he was a crafty bugger and that he didn't enter after all. And Cyan doesn't do holidays unless.. you know... he is on holiday. So I'm glad somebody is pinning something to him.

Ourobolus

Banned
I am as close to certain as possible which story Ourobolus wrote.

I figured mine would be pretty obvious.

Aye. And Bootaaay. And a couple of Canadians. Sober?

But because I do want people to help me out in figuring out who wrote what: I wouldn't trust stuff like that. Last time we did that, a few people deliberately turned the tables, and people fell for it.
Oh, I was half-joking. I don't really have much intent to guess since they'd all be wild-ass guesses anyway.

Like this one - Mike M did "No One."

Mike M

Nick N
Baby Shoes: Kinda liked Ashes for this one, but it seems entirely too conventional, so now I’ve got no idea.

The City You Once Loved: No clue. Gonna say… Sober? Maybe? Idunno.

Divine Protection: Wanna say toddhunter, but I couldn’t exactly say why. Frankly I think it’s got kind of a Nezumi feel.

Fakir and the Prince: No clue. I’d guess someone I haven’t read before?

For Want of a Dream: Hmmmm… Ourobolus? Maybe? Someone with a deep seated and secret love of The Postman?

God Forsaken: I’m more certain than any of these that this was Cyan, so I’m probably 100% wrong.

Hexenjager: Seriously didn’t think this was Nezumi. It was *kinda* like Nezumi, but it was darker than anything I can remember her writing. Plus, I really don’t think she’d use a German title. Maaaaybe… GRW810?

Lonely Planet: I was thinking Aaron, but that may just be because he’s been doing a lot of Sci-Fi lately.

Nameless: I want to say Tangent, but using the theme as the title seems like a rookie mistake : P

No One: A poem with no capitalization? Ashes?

One Last Mission: No clue, can’t even hazard a guess.

Still Creek: Either someone who uses British spelling trying to be American, or an American trying to throw off suspicion by using British spelling. Gonna guess… Carlisle. For reasons.

Swashbuckled: This was also kinda like Nezumi, except for the peeing and talking to the penis thing… Maybe this was GRW810 instead?

Things that make my heart beat faster…: Gonna guess Chainsawkitten for this, despite the twist in the end of there being absolutely nothing inappropriate going on. What better way to throw us off the trail? Heh heh : )

Ties That Bind: Throwing out Bootaaay just because I’m running out of names.

Where’s the fun in that: John Dunbar, because I envision the main character as a dog wearing a hat.

White Light: No clue at all.

Ourobolus

Banned
I don't know, I was thinking "One Last Mission" was Aaron. No idea why.

EDIT: So what are we doing? Am I supposed to be voting now, or are we waiting, or what?

Also, I'm giving Swashbuckled to Carlisle.

GRW810

Did someone already attach Mike M to the witch hunter tale? And did he already deny it?

Regardless, having just read it I'm going with Mr. M as author of the strangely-named entry.

GRW810

EDIT: So what are we doing? Am I supposed to be voting now, or are we waiting, or what?
I say vote and critique whenever people like. I'm going to do so the moment I read the last the seventeen entries. All this author-guessing is fun but we can't forget to establish a winner.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, very poor etiquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom