• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Princess_Eevee9

Neo Member
r3___current_3ds_wiiu_ssb_characters_by_quas_quas-d7505vb.png

Can't wait for Charizard and Greninja! :)

Feel sorry for the artist having to redo Olimar to include the Winged and Rock type Pikmin. Rosalina+Luma still my favorite thus far. Can't wait to see them as well!

I'm officially all hyped out. Until the train departs for E3. GoodNight SmashGaf thanks for keeping me hyped before and after this mega reveal.

Crazyorloco

This Nintendo direct has me excited about the game. Lot's of good info. And that 3ds exclusive mode sounds interesting.

Time > Stock unless you're doing 1 on 1, seriously no one likes doing a 4 player match for fun with stock unless you enjoy sitting and watching two people play grab ass for 5 minutes.

I'm with you on this. I think most people will prefer playing than watching (except gaffers), and that's why timed is in glory. Nintendo is thinking about others we don't.

I would like two options timed glory and stock glory. That would be perfect.

I'm probably buying a Wii u when this comes out.

Jagsrock

Banned
For some reason splitting ZSS and Shiek into their own characters and putting on them into their own roster icon kind of reminds me of those shitty looking fan rosters you see on google that has everyone and their grandma in the roster.

But it's a definite plus when it comes to balancing the roster and improving ZSS and Sheik.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Water shuriken, no. The STAB bonus doesn't even help that at a lucky 5/5 hits the base damage is 75.

Substitute is a pretty viable competitive move, depends on what role you want a Greninja to play
Greninja doesn't have the HP or the defences to make substitute a viable option. It's not gonna stall out anything.

btw who uses Water Shuriken and Substitute on a legit Greninja set in the games? lol

WS is a priority multi hit move. Im sure its used somewhere. Sub sets are always good too, and Greninja takes advantage of it well with the pressure it places on the pponent thanks to Protean.

Only problem for both is 4MSS

OceanBlue

Greninja doesn't have the HP or the defences to make substitute a viable option. It's not gonna stall out anything.

Not that they're at all the same or anything, but low HP and defenses don't stop Pokemon like Gengar from using Substitute. Substitute isn't only used on bulky tank Pokemon.

Mory Dunz

Hmm...not to put a damper on people's expectations, but...

I didn't hate Brawl, but it seems a lot of people did and also didn't like the gameplay style. From what I've seen of Smash 4, the gameplay style looks pretty similar to Brawl. It's floaty (not as much as Brawl I think) compared to Melee and slower as well. The air dodges are in Brawl style, along with some other things (Hopefully no tripping).

So if someone hated the gameplay style of Brawl and loved Melee, why would Smash 4 necessarily be that different?

Not that they're at all the same or anything, but low HP and defenses don't stop Pokemon like Gengar from using Substitute. Substitute isn't only used on bulky tank Pokemon.

Yeah, subs has always bee used for applying pressure in some way, alongside other usses. Its incredibly effective for applying offensive pressure. Pulling off a sub as your opponent dos something like switch ir use rotect is so freaking awesome because it means you can get to work. I have had games where a sub on an offensive pokemon=gg

gogojira

I took the Ridley thing as confirmation that he wasn't in the game and that he was just a boss to fight. I was totally disappointed but some people are thinking he is in the game? Maybe I misread it.

Currently in an area with bad internet, can anyone link the time frame of that portion of the direct?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm pretty sure Ridley is a boss for the Metroid Other M stage.

But then Sakurai was trolling pretty hard throughout the Direct, who knows?

I'm pretty sure the title will forever remain with Roy, dude got into Smash before his game was even released.

I didn't know that! That's pretty cool. This was how it was in Japan, or in NA (if Roy's game even came out in NA)?

Alternatively, you could want to substitute Greninja if you know an imminent attack is coming. Substitute is just really up to the player since you can come across all sorts of different playstyles. I agree with you though on the shuriken though, there are much better water attacks to use =)

Tripon

Yeah but he outright denied Waluigi, never teased it. The only two characters he's been trolling with are Ridley and Palutena. Im more than sure about Palutena being playable.
Oh he trolled the fuck with Waluigi. Basically called him and his fans try-hards. It was hilarious.

I don't get you stock with 4 player FFA, do you like losing first and just sitting there watching your friends play? What kind of experience is that? Time does three things

1- Keeps all 4 people playing the entire match, no one has to sit out and watch

2- Forces all players to be aggressive to get kills or else they can't score

3- Prevents ganging up on anyone who isn't in first, far too often have I see stock matches turn into 2 guys pick off a weak player to make it a straight 1 on 1

I really only care about 1v1 and stock is better for that. FFA to me is like a Giant Mode or Stamina. It's a fun party diversion but not the meat of why I play.

If they want timed modes, that's cool. But if they are specifically putting in an online game type for more competitive 1v1 matches, it should allow stock. And they should allow random 1v1 stock/items lobbies too.

The problem isn't the presence of timed FFA matches. It's the 2004 online mentality of having bare bones options.

Wookieomg

Actually, Charizard in Smash is pretty accurate to it's original game size. According to the PokeDex, the average Charizard is 5'07'' and weighs about 200 pounds. That is hardly a stretch to have alongside human fighters. Even in the anime, it is only about a head taller than the relatively short Ash Ketchum.

On the other hand, Ridley is typically two or three stories tall. So you can't really compare the two in the size department.

Hmm fair enough! I stand corrected. I guess I was just thinking of the Ridley from
Super Metroid
that was relatively the same size as Samus. Though I guess that could have been due to the limitations of the system architecture and what devs could display back then, more than anything. Cause likewise, I also remember Ridley from the
Prime trilogy
being effing huge. Hmm...

DaBoss

Before we get started, GO HERE and install the Firefox/Chrome add-on to make WebM files embedded.

If you don't do this, you'll see GIFs instead of WebMs. The GIFs will just link to WebM files in this view. If you have the extension, you will see WebM files instead of GIFs.

Install the add-on for whatever browser you're using. Mac users, use this. It won't embed WebM files.

What are WebM files?
It is a video format that is made by Google to be patent free and is HTML5 friendly. The reason I am using it is because it allows for a higher quality animated stuff in posts compared to a GIF at a much lower file size. It also allows you to pause and control play speed which would make it easier to analyze.

NOTE: It is CPU intensive, so don't enable auto-load.

To view this post more easier, click here.

Now lets get started.

A Wild Greninja Appears

It is the final evolution form of the water starter from the Gen 6 Pokémon games, Pokémon XY. It is pretty badass (according to me) and can be said to be the most popular starter from Gen 6.

Greninja Uses Jabs

This is its Neutral A going into jabs and then to the finisher at the end. A lot of its attacks has water based properties.
/captainobvious

Greninja Uses Bounce

The first move (Bounce) is its Down Air while the triple kick afterwards is its Back Air.

Greninja Uses Low Sweep

Look at dat slickness. That is its Dash Attack. Too bad it didn't see Charizard's tail coming.

Greninja Uses Whirpool

It is doing its Grab Attack in the beginning and then its Up Throw. Then it uses a water whip Katana of some sort as its Forward Air or its Neutral Air. I think its tongue should be used as a whip lol.

Greninja Uses Water Slash

The first kick it does there is its Side Tilt and the water slash it does after is its Side Smash. Also, this takes place on the Pokemon stage for the Wii U which is one of the Elite 4 rooms in Pokxémon XY.

Greninja Uses Water Cross Blades

That attacks is its Up Smash. They look like mini katanas which is pretty cool.

Greninja Uses Water Shuriken

The move here is its Neutral Special. As shown above, it can be used immediately or become charged. I imagine you would be able to save that charged up water shuriken for later. Fun fact: this is one of the signature/exclusive moves of Greninja in Pokémon XY.

Greninja Uses Quick Attack Smokescreen Shadow Sneak

This attack seems to be its Side Special. It most likely behaves similarly to Meta Knight's Down Special where it would disappear and then reappear.

Greninja Uses Aqua Jet

This move seems to be its Up Special. It moves in a zig-zag way. Maybe it is fixed, or maybe it will act like Pikachu's Up Special, Agility. We'll find out soon enough.

Greninja Uses Substitute

This move is a counter move that behaves in a similar way to Lucario's counter move in Brawl. It is most likely its Down Special.
No one would use Substitute on a Greninja. /rant
It also falls elegantly.

Greninja Uses Night Slash

You may not know it, but Greninja is actually a Dark-type as well! And this Final Smash shows it. The moon and darkness looks really cool.

That's All

That's all....wait, you can stand on that?

Pretty straight forward.

GIF Gallery Link: http://daboss.minus.com/mYu4r39aZncRI

Thanks to people on the IRC and GAF for helping me come up with names and identifying moves.

Hatchtag

Banned
So, I noticed something odd watching the direct.
You know the symbols, like the triforce for Zelda and the Mushroom for Mario? Well, two things during the assist trophy portion:
1) The Wario symbol was used for Waluigi and Ashley. I'm taking that as a Wario confirmation (as if there was any doubt).
2) The Smash Bros. symbol is used for all characters from series not in Smash (Dr. Wright, the Sin & Punishment person)...except for the Nintendog. Kinda wonder why that is.

For the Kai Hunter King trophy? Because that's what I was talking about

Yes. During the "Who's that character?" part of it, they play Ridley's theme, and as they reveal it as King Kihunter, they switch to the victory jingle for Samus.

However, I still believe that those 4 trophies were not coincidentally chosen. I think they are hints.

You know the symbols, like the triforce for Zelda and the Mushroom for Mario? Well, two things during the assist trophy portion:
1) The Wario symbol was used for Waluigi and Ashley. I'm taking that as a Wario confirmation (as if there was any doubt).
2) The Smash Bros. symbol is used for all characters from series not in Smash (Dr. Wright, the Sin & Punishment person)...except for the Nintendog. Kinda wonder why that is.

1) I'm fairly certain Waluigi was using the Mario 'shroom, but I could be wrong.
2) Nintendogs have a stage. Every franchise that has a stage or playable character gets an icon. You will see that Balloon Fight has an icon as well, as it has a stage. Pilot Wings has a stage too. This was the same in Brawl - there was nothing revolving around the Hanenbow series, but it had an icon cause it had a stage. Animal Crossing only had a stage, no playble, and got its leaf icon as well.

Drago

1) Never doubted Wario for a second. I wonder why Waluigi has the Wario symbol though, he's never been in a Wario game aside from a WarioWare microgame cameo
2) Nintendogs also has a stage. That's probably why it has its own icon

In time mode you just cannot get the same level of tension that some stock games can achieve, period.

This is just wrong, nothing is more tense then having two players only a point behind the leader everyone with high % and 15 seconds left. Also you can't go into sudden death in stock match which is the ultimate in high tense combat

Kinsei

Banned

There is a Nintendog stage. Every stage gets a symbol, even if they don't have a playable rep.

Neoxon

We technically had 6 Pokémon in Brawl. By that logic, & with Red gone, I'm guessing that the last two will be Jigglypuff & Mewtwo.

Caladrius

Yes. During the "Who's that character?" part of it, they play Ridley's theme, and as they reveal it as King Kihunter, they switch to the victory jingle for Samus.

However, I still believe that those 4 trophies were not coincidentally chosen. I think they are hints.

Oh, I see what you're getting at. My bad.

I can't wait until we get the definitive answer about Ridley.

The wait is becoming unbearable.

Top Bottom