• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Princess_Eevee9

Neo Member
OK, So here's my thoughts on Returning/Wanted characters, and signs on why they MIGHT be in and why the MIGHT NOT be in

Snake:
+ Unique moveset, not many nintendo reps could use all of his moves
+ Was the best moment of the original trailer, made a lot of people surprised and excited to play smash
- MGS GS/TPP Snubbed Nintendo
- David Hayter snubbed as snake
- Should have probably already been revealed
- A lot more voiceover work for codec calls would be required
- Sheik stole his grenade

Ridley:
+ If he's not in, why not just show him outright, and not a silhouette? What's the purpose of the tease?
- Tease might just be to hype that ridley is actually in the game, vs not at all (average fan is supposed to think, wow how cool, ridley is a stage boss!', not 'Oh man, ridley isn't playable')
- He's probably just a 'boss hazard'

Palutena:
+ Removed from pit's final smash
+ Trophy tease RIGHT after showing she was removed from pit's final smash
+ Kid Icarus uprising fleshed her out as a character, gave her a personality and a potential move set
+ Sakurai is responsible for Kid Icarus revival. It's his game, and he can show favor toward it
- Palutena is a statue on a stage. No other smash character is a statue on a stage.
+ Toon link is replaced by alphonso, so being on a stage doesn't mean you can't appear in the game
- She is a goddess!
+ So is rosalina!

Squirtle:
+ Unique moveset
- Greninja :(

Ivysaur:
+No plant type starters
+Unique moveset
- Too many pokemon reps already?

Mewtwo:
+ Mega evolutions of pokemon X/Y made him popular again
+ Has a fairly unique moveset, excluding his neutral B, which is somewhat similar to lucario
+ No other psychic type pokemon
- Too many pokemon reps already
- Might have officially been 'replaced' by lucario in brawl

Captain Falcon, Ness, Jigglypuff:
+ Been in every smash bros
+ Jiggly has always been secret
+ Ness/Falcon were secret in 64 and brawl
- Luigi has already been revealed, and he was always secret
+ Luigi was probably an exception for 'year of luigi'

I want Pokemon Trainer to die. Squirle and Ivysaur pointless since Charizard. Rather Venusaur and Blastoise fully evolved and their more set especially since their Mega Evolutions. Rather have the Kalos Evolution instead because no more Gen I stuff god.

Berordn

Thinking of alternate costumes, no chance of Magicant Ness is there...of course I'm not talking about the Japanese version (which was naked) but pajama Ness.

If he's going as far as including Wireframe Mac I'm not sure what to expect in regards to costumes anymore.

When I saw that Sheik was given a grenade I almost lost it.
We didn't specifically see exactly how it works but I hope snake isn't just going to be mangled and his moveset thrown all over the place if he isn't in.
I've always been a proponent of Wolf using the weapons from Assault as part of his moveset. Guided Rocket Launcher as his side special, mines for his down special, bazooka for his standard special and a new final smash. That'd be a great way to freshen him up without retreading on Fox in any way.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, Galaga's attack is using their ship capture beam to pick up opponents. Perhaps carry them off while the other player tries to escape?

Now that I'm thinking about it, if we've got an item & assist trophy, perhaps we'll get a stage as well (holding out on Pac-Man Maze with ghosts as stage hazards).

Not to mention, Rally-X is in as well, due to the S-Flag being an item, though I can't help but wonder what exactly it'll do.

But yeah, considering we don't see items/assist trophies based on 3rd party games without some kind of playable representative, I'm convinced we're getting a Namco character, mainly Pac-Man because he'd fit the bill of "Classic Namco arcade games" we're seeing with Galaga & Rally-X.
The S-Flag is in a lot more than rally-x. I've never played it, but I've definitely seen that flag before.

Wichu

oxAVbMS.jpg

The Subsitute doll looks so good. Dat lighting/texturing.

RagnarokX

Not to mention, Rally-X is in as well, due to the S-Flag being an item, though I can't help but wonder what exactly it'll do.

But yeah, considering we don't see items/assist trophies based on 3rd party games without some kind of playable representative, I'm convinced we're getting a Namco character, mainly Pac-Man because he'd fit the bill of "Classic Namco arcade games" we're seeing with Galaga & Rally-X.

http://namco.wikia.com/wiki/Special_Flag

It could be Rally-X, it could be one of the other games it's been in, it could just be it's own thing in Smash and not a reference to any particular game.

DaBoss

Some new moves for Sheik.
http://a.pomf.se/kmntay.webm
We see the jabs to finisher used on Mario. And the side tilts being done there don't have anything new, but the effect of cutting through the air looks very nice there.

Then we have the new move, Burst Grenade. It is obviously limited in range (unlike Snake's grenades). And you have control over the trigger as well unlike Snake's. Having a grenade with different properties means nothing. Just look at other characters.

Kyzon mentioned this:
The pre-explosion on Burst Grenade has a suction effect as you can see on Bowser. This is pretty cool since it will pull enemies toward the sweet spot of the move.

And then we have the Bouncing Fish used on Pit. I don't remember if Sheik's slap was bad in Brawl, but I think it was one of the complaints about Sheik. Maybe this would be like Melee's/PM's slap in terms of knockback. It gives Sheik some more moves to use off-stage which is nice.

I've always been a proponent of Wolf using the weapons from Assault as part of his moveset. Guided Rocket Launcher as his side special, mines for his down special, bazooka for his standard special and a new final smash. That'd be a great way to freshen him up without retreading on Fox in any way.

A new final smash? Why that :D *irony*

I remember being totally disappointed after trying all final smashes, first fox then falco and then wolf and my brother and I were like "ok..."

Jawmuncher

There's actually a few Nintendo characters that could use hi moveset with some tweaks. Never thought of Wolf. But an Advance Wars character or hell even one of those marines from Other M could basically have the same moveset.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The S-Flag is in a lot more than rally-x. I've never played it, but I've definitely seen that flag before.
Yeah, the S-Flag is to Namco as the Yashichi is to Capcom. It first appeared in Rally-X & then appeared in other games, like Tales of Vesperia as an item that allows players to switch characters mid-battle. Could be more of a general Namco thing, but just thought of Rally-X since that was the game of origin.

There's actually a few Nintendo characters that could use hi moveset with some tweaks. Never thought of Wolf. But an Advance Wars character or hell even one of those marines from Other M could basically have the same moveset.
They could, but considering variants of the weapons Snake uses are already in Star Fox Assault (grenades, rocket launcher, mines), and we have Wolf, it's probably much easier to incorporate those mechanics into his moveset than coming up with a brand new character.

And note, Star Fox Assault was made by Namco.

When he said that Samus would no longer transform after her Final Smash I was happy, thinking 'good, stop sexualizing Samus, having her as a walking tank is better'. And then, he shows the new Zero Suit Samus, who looks like got her boobs upgraded, Dead or Alive style. lol.

Jawmuncher

They could, but considering variants of the weapons Snake uses are already in Star Fox Assault (grenades, rocket launcher, mines), and we have Wolf, it's probably much easier to incorporate those mechanics into his moveset than coming up with a brand new character.

True, but I guess the thing there would be if they wanted to change a already established character.

Anyone noticed Samus hair? It´s actually going down when she is upside down. A certain other heroine with special HairFX couldn´t pull this feature off...

TomShoe

Banned
I want Pokemon Trainer to die. Squirle and Ivysaur pointless since Charizard. Rather Venusaur and Blastoise fully evolved and their more set especially since their Mega Evolutions. Rather have the Kalos Evolution instead because no more Gen I stuff god.

Pokemon Trainer is likely gone. The only thing that disappoints me is the inclusion of Greninja, which does not bode well for Squirtle's chances.

georly

I'd say the fact she has a stage is a positive for her inclusion :p

Sakurai could have chosen anywhere from Uprising for a stage but he chose her temple.

It's basically my only minus, and it's a flimsy one. I'm like 90% sure now after the direct that she'll be in.

Edit:
More thoughts
Final smashes we didn't see:

Link
Toon Link
Fox
Sheik
Zelda
Yoshi
ZSS
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dedede
Marth
Peach
Pikmin and olimar
Mario
Pikachu
Bowser

I'd say that that might be because they're all going to stay the same (sad panda), but pikmin and olimar *HAS* to change, since his ship is now an item.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm surprised no one has done a size analysis with Pikachu's model and Ridley's shadow, to see if that Ridley model would be small enough to be a playable character.

That whole scene was a bit too perfect. As a stage hazard I would think Ridley would be attacking or moving a lot differently rather than just hovering over the stage not doing anything.

RagnarokX

Elements of Snake's moveset have already been incorporated into Villager and Sheik: mines and grenades.

Thinking about Venusaur hobbling around the battlefield on his stubby little legs is making me laugh.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am so confident that Ridley is going to be a playable character now that I'd be willing to avatar bet on it. Before this direct I wasn't confident at all, but if Ridley was indeed a Boss character, Sakurai would have shown us.

I'm pretty sure that Ridley who flew over the stage isn't Boss Ridley. No way Sakurai would let it dragging out for long time. He's trolling the fans hardcore.

Where's that post with a list of all character reveal dates for Melee/Brawl?

it's on first page, in my second or third post.

I hate to be the guy but ... no picture of the day?

Yeah, we got one. It was comment about Direct. it basically telling people to watch Direct

don't know if anyone posted this already, but the sal guy got more characters from his source( note this was posted before the direct)

Choir Men (Rhythm Heaven)
Chrom (Fire Emblem)
Mii (Wii Series)
Pac-Man (Pac-Man)
Palutena (Kid Icarus)
Shulk (Xenoblade)
pokemon from x and y

I don't have a shed of doubt this is correct, so far he got wiifiit trainer, villiger,megaman, little mac, and greenninja right.

so in conclusion the roster going to suck and is very underwelming

Roster is fantastic actually. I'm still hoping that Takamaru would make in the game, with very few cut (I would preferred NONE from Brawl)

If you have the chance, I highly recommend watching the direct on the Wii U eShop. Much nicer quality than Youtube.

Definitely agreed with you there. I watched it on Wii U last again, and the trailers look fantastic on Wii U.

What was the hint?

Kremling in Smash Run.

Probably that.
jPO85FiZOdVxI.png

What if Sakurai decided to use playable Ridley to make it look like boss to troll the fans?

I dunno, the fact that she was shown as a trophy makes me think otherwise.

Errrm? Pseudo-Palutena is completely different; and the fact that they took Palutena out of Pit's Final Smash isn't telling?

The roster is growing quickly, and all of the new designs are looking wonderful!

My updated roster with colors:

SmashRoster_4_8_zpsfc1210d9.png

Yeah, your chart look fantastic with those colors and fonts.

No Snake, no buy, sell Wii U and 3DS, join Xbox/PlayStation fan forums, write angry posts, get banned from GAF.

Haha

Anyone know what Ashley's AT seems to do?

From what I see that it reversed characters' movements, but I will watch it again to make sure.

Is her mole still there?

Yep

That's good check list, and I think we might get very few cuts tho.

I only have a question do we have an updated version of the awesome wallpaper with the whole roster?

Not yet.

While that may be true in most cases, unlike the heels in Other M, these heels look practical. They look like something someone who leaps high and falls far would wear.

And even guys get in on it:
[Raiden]

The original purpose of high heels was to aid in gripping stirrups by horse riders, and modern boots, including combat boots, still have slight heels (though obviously not as tall, but then soldiers aren't expected to leap 20 feet in the air and fall 100s of feet). Plus they don't look very designed for sex appeal.

See, the problem here is that Raiden just wears them so much better than Samus.

In all seriousness, raised heels are practical, but I think high heels primarily serve as a means to add beautiful qualities to an individual. Such as smaller looking feet and raised height. I'm not sure they have many benefits, especially when raised to such a height. But hey, Samus can do whatever the hell she wants with her rocket heels. Practicality is not anyone's focus in Smash Bros., otherwise Greninja would probably stop wearing his tongue like a scarf
or whatever the hell that is

Berordn

Kinda weird how the Kalos E4 is in the Wii u version.

Probably easier to create the room in HD than the whole damn city. It does mean they're being more lax than he seemed to hint originally about stage origins, but his other statement makes it sound like the Boxing Ring is an exception, not the rule.

Poor Olimar has no home in the 3DS version.

I'm willing to make an avatar bet with anyone in this thread that Palutena is not getting in.
Okay

I'm surprised no one has done a size analysis with Pikachu's model and Ridley's shadow, to see if that Ridley model would be small enough to be a playable character.

That whole scene was a bit too perfect. As a stage hazard I would think Ridley would be attacking or moving a lot differently rather than just hovering over the stage not doing anything.
Or at the very least, we should try to find out if the proportions fit classic or Other M Ridley. That's a big shadow though, I'm going with boss.

Princess_Eevee9

Neo Member
Is that the supposed E4 stage? Which game is that based on?

They look exactly like final Smashes, like Giga Bowser and Wario Man before them. Otherwise (at least Lucario's) would be completely broken.

http://prntscr.com/38ekn0 Kalos E4, the best in the series so far. According to Serebii it's going to be like Prism Tower in that you rotate through all of the Chambers. Dragonmark, Ironworks, Floodgate, and Blazing Chamber. If we're really lucky Radiant Chamber too!!

BlackJace

Probably easier to create the room in HD than the whole damn city. It does mean they're being more lax than he seemed to hint originally about stage origins, but his other statement makes it sound like the Boxing Ring is an exception, not the rule.

HD Towns are hard lol.

I'm not mad though, it looks quite nice. Hope we get a remix of the E4 theme.

He should get somekind of "homestage" I guess. Every character did in the past, or am I wrpng?

Top Bottom