• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Ike was never a "tank" outside of Smash Bros though. He was an all around balanced character in his Path of Radiance version, and even his bulkier Radiant Dawn self still was fairly balanced.

Chrom is another fairly balanced lord, who's often said in the story scenes to be too strong (breaking walls and such). It wouldn't be any odder than what they did with Ike.

I've played the games, but I'm coming at this more from a fighting game/Smash perspective. Plus 1-handed vs. 2-handed sword styles. Trivial detail to most I'm sure, but I just can't picture Chrom using the Falchion like Ragnell. His range would be nerfed for the move-set.

Gartooth

We knew the entire starting roster after Sheik's reveal which was late January '08.

Guess we'll be at the same spot a month or so before 3DS Smash release.

We had a leak nobody believed about a month(?) before the game came out (that ended up being legit). We knew the whole roster unofficially a day after the game came out in Japan, and officially it would be months after the Japan release before the unlockables were revealed.

Ryce

When did we know the full roster for Brawl? Also, how many characters did Sakurai reveal for Brawl through Smash Dojo?
We found out the full roster when the game was released in Japan. Sakurai revealed 25 characters on the Dojo, and 12 were kept secret.

Jigglypuff would be such a weird inclusion at this point, I'd be ok with Jiggles being cut tbh. I'd much rather see Mewtwo instead. At least the latter is still very much relevant. Still, I doubt they're cutting one of the originals. :/

Jigglypuff is one of my favorite characters to use, and I wanted it cut. Especially for a newer Fairy-type (I guess Sylveon since it was the first one shown). But if it's going to return, I'll be happy with it. I guess potentially both Mewtwo and Jigglypuff would be fine.

Zalman

The gameplay definitely looks like a nice middleground between Melee and Brawl. Faster than Brawl, but not quite as much as Melee.

I'd argue about "world's 2nd most popular franchise", but yeah, Pokemon is one of Nintendo's most vital franchises and those arguing otherwise are simply wrong. Pokemon resurrected GameBoy, Pokemon games are the best selling games of GBA and 3DS, Pokemon is one of the few franchises that consistently sells over 15 million copies with every major iteration, Pokemon has a HUGE fanbase and a ton of viable choices for playable characters.

Hell, if anything at the moment it's more surprising that there are so few representatives of the series revealed for Smash 4.

Honestly, I would say Pokemon as an exclusive might have more power and popularity than Mario at this point.

There, I said it. Pokemon has more selling power than Mario, and is no.1 imo on its selling power

12 million sales make up ~40% atach rate for the 3ds. That's insane, not counting 3rd versions, which I like to think of as GOTY editions. And then we have the fact that its on a smaller install base than, say, COD or GTA

tariniel

I feel like them releasing the 3DS version earlier is specifically to sucker people into buying both games. I own a WiiU and would really prefer just getting that one alone, but I know some friends wont shut up about it when the 3DS one comes out earlier.

I'll probably still end up getting both, but I expect it will leave a bad taste.

NeonZ

I think the existence of the "For Glory" mode also pretty much guarantees that Falco is going nowhere.

I've played the games, but I'm coming at this more from a fighting game/Smash perspective. Plus 1-handed vs. 2-handed sword styles. Trivial detail to most I'm sure, but I just can't picture Chrom using the Falchion like Ragnell. His range would be nerfed for the move-set.

Ike's sword style in Path of Radiance was mostly one handed though. It was basically only Aether that had a two handed animation. Chrom uses some two handed strikes in his CG battle with Masked Marth, although I can't remember if there's something like that in his battle animations.

georly

Anyone notice that character percentages aren't present on screen for 3DS. Must be on bottom screen, like shown during the smash run mode. Will be hard to keep track of percents :/

Here:
N3DS__SuperSmashBros_FieldSmash_CarryingItem_Screen_01.jpg

Bumping because it was last post on last page. Also, NWR video seems to confirm this, since not a single moment of it has percent on top screen. Wii U has percent everywhere in the 'online part' of the direct, so it's not like he's hiding it.

Edit: Also, online modes might not be time, since they have no clock at all. Maybe it's a new mode, like 'first to 3 kills'. Or maybe the clock is hidden, but then why aren't health percentages hidden?

Berordn

Also I can't believe people still think Pokemon trainer is in after Charizard was announced. I might be wrong but logic says otherwise.

People think this? After he revealed that there were no transforming characters and then showcased Charizard as a veteran?

Could be an awesome Poké Ball 'mon though!
If you pay attention to the charizard/greninja trailer you can see pokemon coming out of pokeballs the majority of them are Pokemon that have already been revealed to come out of pokeballs in Smash or they were Pokemon in previous Smashes that will likely return. There were a few however that haven't been confirmed and haven't appeared in Smash but I think its likely they will be Pokeball pokemon. Pokemon such as Snivy, Oshawott, Chespin, Spewpa, Inkay and Zoroark were shown in addition to some old potentially returning pokeball pokemon such as Togepi, Lugia, Suicune, Snorlax, Latias and Gardevoir. There were more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

DaBoss

Someone mentioned this. Look at how fast Pit falls down:
http://a.pomf.se/aztshp.webm
Fox seems to have the same fall speed as in Brawl.
Just did a comparison, SSB4 Fox seems to reach the ground a bit faster than Brawl Fox.
Yeah, Fox definitely falls faster than Brawl Fox.

It's hard to tell, but Pit almost looks like he falls as fast as PM Pit. How exciting!
Just did another comparison with Project M just for curiosity. PM Fox's fall speed is only slightly faster than SSB4 Fox by a few frames. So Fox's fall speed is closer to PM than Brawl.

Beats

The gameplay definitely looks like a nice middleground between Melee and Brawl. Faster than Brawl, but not quite as much as Melee.

Yeah, it feels like it. I wouldn't really mind if it wasn't as fast as Melee. The only thing I'm really worried about gameplay wise is if air dodging to cancel hitstun is still in. I think we'll probably know once they let the public try the game.

Rayis

In terms of Pokemon, best-case scenario, both Jigglypuff and Mewtwo get in, worst-case scenario Mewtwo gets in and Jigglypuff doesn't and a perfectly ok scenario is Mewtwo not getting in and Jigglypuff does get in.

No way in hell Mewtwo would get in over her, didn't happen in the original Smash, didn't happen in Brawl, won't happen now.

Just did another comparison with Project M just for curiosity. PM Fox's fall speed is only slightly faster than SSB4 Fox by a few frames. So Fox's fall speed is closer to PM than Brawl.
Oh man oh man oh man oh man Smash 4 confirmed for too good

Be still my heart.

All we need now is for Sakurai to realize that competitive players like platforms and for him to add a bunch of different platform configurations to the various FD-versions of stages for "For Glory" mode and everything will be perfect and glorious.

There's still room for plenty more announcements. I don't know why people think that no mention of a character in this direct would mean they're cut. I also don't see how or why people are coming up with these numbers for roster size.

I sincerely doubt they will cut C. Falcon, Jigglypuff or Ness, since they are original characters. I also think Ganondorf, Mr. Game&Watch, Ice Climbers, Wario and Meta Knight will come back, all of them with some major tweaks since Sakurai seems to be all about the "balance" nowadays (perhaps the reason it is taking so long... I mean look at all the time they spent tweaking yoshi). Mixed opinions about Falco making it back.

Characters that have a good chance of being cut are Ike, Snake, Squirtle/Ivysaur (100%), Lucas, R.O.B. I would have also said Lucario and Toon Link, yet here they are.

Possible newcomers... honestly now that Greninja has been announced, anything goes lol. Chrom, Palutena, Mewtwo and Shulk are possibilities. Takamaru seems meh now with Greninja in the mix, but the vague mention in NintendoLand gives me some hope. Miis are still a possibility. I think Pac-Man is still a legitimate possibility as well.

If there's one thing we can be sure of is that Ridley won't be playable lol.

TomShoe

Banned

lol what? Where are the arbitrary number of characters coming from?

Someone quoted an article earlier in the thread.

Considering just how packed the finished Brawl has turned out to be, it's obvious that the next Super Smash Bros. game will need to be something really very special and Sakurai's involvement hinges on just how different it'll end up being.

"There are 39 characters in the game this time around," he says, "and just adding a few more wouldn't be enough to justify another game in my opinion; I'd have to draw a line in the sand and have a new approach to the game to make it worthwhile. As long as the fans enjoy it though, that's what matters and in the distant future, I guess that might be something I'll have to consider."

http://www.officialnintendomagazine....akurai/?page=3

georly

Ok, so the more I think about it, the more I like my idea. I think 'First to X number of kills' is way more fair for online than Time or Stock. It forces you to have to fight, and not get a lucky kill or two and run away.

First to X number of kills explains why we don't see stock or don't see a timer in the online footage as well.

It could also be easily tweaked for modes. First to 3 kills in 1v1 glory, first to 5 kills in 4-player glory, first to 7 kills in For Fun (due to items/final smashes). It prevents really cheap strategies and forces you to HAVE to attack your opponent and not run away. I like it a lot.

Still doesn't fix the 'final destination only' making some characters better than others.

ffdgh

Snake and ike are the only iffy vets for me at this point. Not worried about jiggly, ness, lucas, falco and wolf at all.

Cse

Banned
Now that I've had a while to digest the information presented in the direct, here are a few of my thoughts -

- Not a fan of the bosses in some of the stages. When I saw the Yellow Devil during the presentation yesterday, I was less than enthused, but refused to form an opinion until I had time to let the concept sink in a little. Well, after discussing it with my roommate and a few friends, I feel the same way - I'm not a fan. Environmental hazards are one thing, but something as disruptive as a boss just really doesn't appeal to me. I hope there will be an option to turn off bosses in the stages that feature them.

- The release dates for the games are backwards. I was indifferent when I first heard the release dates, but after having time to process the implications of these dates, I do think it is a wrong move. By the time the Wii U version comes out, I'll likely have dozens, if not hundreds of hours invested into the 3DS version - I'll know the full roster and the move sets of the characters. This could certainly dampen the excitement for the console version, and although I will be getting both versions, I can certainly understand how some would forego spending $~300 on a Wii U and the game when they already have and enjoy the 3DS version. And if a console needs all the help it can get, it's the Wii U. The 3DS is already a hit.

Other than that, I loved everything I saw. Greninja looks amazing, and the custom movesets look interesting. Also, the stages for the Wii U version simply look phenomenal - the design, the colors, and the backgrounds just look so inviting and interesting.

georly

- Not a fan of the bosses in some of the stages. When I saw the Yellow Devil during the presentation yesterday, I was less than enthused, but refused to form an opinion until I had time to let the concept sink in a little. Well, after discussing it with my roommate and a few friends, I feel the same way - I'm not a fan. Environmental hazards are one think, but something as disruptive as a boss just really doesn't appeal to me. I hope there will be an option to turn off bosses in the stages that feature them.

At least those stages have a 'final destination' form, so you don't have to worry about them.

Top Bottom