• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Greninja's inclusion gives me a little flicker of hope that Wonder Red can make it in.
Since Pokemon X/Y came out October, and The Wonderful 101 came out August/September, there's still a chance.

Kyzon

I've updated my roster with the new character reveals!

NdI1kYV.png

Totally didn't expect Greninja. I figured Mega Evolutions would be enough X and Y representation... I'm still kinda sour about Pokémon Trainer being cut, and Charizard and Greninja by themselves still feels odd to me (I view starter Pokémon as a set, as they were portrayed in Brawl under Pokémon Trainer), but I'm warming up to it.

With Sheik's reveal as a separate character, I removed Impa. Also, I added Chrom and a Rhythm Heaven character to be in line with the recent rumor. If it really is from the same source that leaked Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Mii, and Pac-Man, then I think it's believable. Time will tell, I suppose. They got Greninja right, after all. Though Greninja wasn't specified, since they only said "Pokémon from Pokémon X and Y," and while that sounds fake, I can imagine someone with inside information who may not be very familiar with Pokémon saying that if he doesn't have access to the official character names (remember, the same source called Villager "Animal Crossing Guy" prior to E3).

Yo!
We have our fire and water starters as stand alone characters. I think we'll get our grass starter as well. Glorious Chesnaught is sadly out as Chespin is a Pokeball so I think we'll get Sceptile since he's the only other bipedal grass starter.

RagnarokX

And Other M Ridley is not Ridley. I'm going to keep holding on to this troll act Sakurai is putting on.

Sure he is. The current Donkey Kong is the son of the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong. They are different characters with different experiences.

The Ridley in Other M is the same Ridley from the previous games reconstituted from his remaining cells, which is an ability he has. He is the same (person).

No, he was a clone. Melissa Bergman says they cloned him and every other Zebes baddy in that game from cells on Samus's suit. That's why the Ridley in Other M starts out as a baby instead of regrowing into an adult.

A clone is not the same as the original person any more than an identical twin is.

That's why I said "in the sense you are using the word". Ridley can rebuild himself. The scientists just helped the process. He has genetic memory or some shit and thus is essentially the same character.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Wait, why do people think Mega Evos aren't final smashes again? I thought the end of that trailer pretty much confirmed it.
Lucario does maximum aura damage when in his Mega Evolution. It's not a final Smash.

Berordn

Sure he is. The current Donkey Kong is the son of the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong. They are different characters with different experiences.

Wait, I thought the current Donkey Kong was the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong's grandson, which would make him the son of Donkey Kong Jr. who rescued the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong.

Toxi

Banned
This was actually retconned by Nintendo, but most fans disregard said retcon because the original explanation is funnier and more consistent.

The Ridley in Other M is the same Ridley from the previous games reconstituted from his remaining cells, which is an ability he has. He is the same (person).
He did not regenerate. He was cloned using the same method as all the other monsters in that game. Do you think Metroids, Geemers, and Sidehoppers all regenerate like Ridley can?

It's also hilarious you're using the manga as evidence because A. Ridley wasn't near as badly damaged in the manga, and B. Other M contradicts the manga multiple times.

Wait, I thought the current Donkey Kong was the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong's grandson, which would make him the son of Donkey Kong Jr. who rescued the Donkey Kong from Donkey Kong.

I'm almost positive that Donkey Kong Jr. is the Donkey Kong we all know and love today.

Yonafunu

....the trailer had a pokemon powering up what looked to be a beam. Greninja wasn't revealed until after the beam was shot. Given that Mewtwo shoots beam it was basically Sakurai trolling people into thinking it was Mewtwo.

Come on, it was pretty damn obvious it was Greninja from the minute you saw him charging the shuriken. I recognized him immediately and I haven't even played Pokemon X/Y.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Did you read my post? Rosalina in the first SMG was fantastic, and as far as I remember and I'm pretty sure somebody else has said in this thread she only had a cameo in the second game.
Interesting Mario character and interesting character must have 2 different meanings.

KHlover

Banned
Why would they do that when we got our superior goddess Rosalina and ZSS? And our literal Goddess Palutena coming soon?

Wii Fit (Female) Trainer can go take a walk with Daisy for all I care. We need Rosalina, ZSS, Palutena and Greninja up in this biz-natch.

....the trailer had a pokemon powering up what looked to be a beam. Greninja wasn't revealed until after the beam was shot. Given that Mewtwo shoots beam it was basically Sakurai trolling people into thinking it was Mewtwo.

Well the handsigns came first. And the "beam" made water noises while it was formed.
Then in the second shot of Greninja you clearly see the Shuriken form of the attack being formed, as well as more visual indication of this actually being a water attack.

IMO pretty obvious from the beginning that this was NOT Mewtwo

RagnarokX

This was actually retconned by Nintendo, but most fans disregard said retcon because the original explanation is funnier and more consistent.

He did not regenerate. He was cloned using the same method as all the other monsters in that game. Do you think Metroids, Geemers, and Sidehoppers all regenerate like Ridley can?

It's also hilarious you're using the manga as evidence because A. Ridley wasn't near as badly damaged in the manga, and B. Other M contradicts the manga multiple times.

Other M also relies on the manga to explain why Samus has PTSD. The manga isn't perfect but parts of it are intended to be canon. It's a mess but it is what it is.

It's clear that Ridley is not just a clone in Other M since he obviously remembers Samus and goes after her. I know they cloned the other monsters, but unlike the other monsters Ridley retained his self which is what's important in this discussion. If current Cranky had his mind implanted into current DK's body then DK DK and DKC DK would be the same character.

Stylo

I'm kind of sad that Isaac or Saki didn't make it in as playable characters. It would have made for some interesting characters!

Lunar15

I feel like there hasn't been a lot of discussion on the customizeable movesets. Seems like a huge deal to me. Remember stuff like everyone hating link's charge spin attack nerf? What if you had various options for how it works andhoew much damage it does? Sounds like a game changer.

Servbot24

Banned
I hope that Chrom is the new FE rep, but that Lucina is an alt skin for Marth, since they would basically have the same move set anyways.

zroid

Banned
I feel like there hasn't been a lot of discussion on the customizeable movesets. Seems like a huge deal to me. Remember stuff like everyone hating link's charge spin attack nerf? What if you had various options for how it works andhoew much damage it does? Sounds like a game changer.

It's going to be very cool, for sure. Just need more details to really delve into it, I think.

Berordn

And it very well could be, but until we have more of a solid idea on it we're just left to rampant speculation.

...Not like that would be unusual for SmashGAF, but eh.

... doing maximum aura damage is exactly what you'd expect a transformation final smash for Lucario to do.

But you can get the same effect by just taking a lot of damage, right? So what if Lucario's already taken enough damage to be dealing maximum aura damage, and then he gets a Smash Ball, you're saying his Final Smash in that case would just be... to continue doing maximum damage?

Sounds wrong to me.

Toxi

Banned

That's why I said "in the sense you are using the word". Ridley can rebuild himself. The scientists just helped the process. He has genetic memory or some shit and thus is essentially the same character.
This is fan-fiction. There is nothing in the games or manga that indicate Ridley has genetic memory.
Other M also relies on the manga to explain why Samus has PTSD. The manga isn't perfect but parts of it are intended to be canon. It's a mess but it is what it is.

It's clear that Ridley is not just a clone in Other M since he obviously remembers Samus and goes after her.
Except he doesn't; he attacks the squad first as a juvenile and he attacks both Samus and Anthony as an adult. In both encounters he runs away at the first sign of injury like any scared animal. Do you think every enemy in the game has a personal vendetta for Samus because they all attack her?

TomShoe

Banned
The current Donkey Kong is is the grandson of the original Donkey Kong from the 1981 game.

Cranky Kong is the original 1981 Donkey Kong.

DK Jr. is the current Donkey Kong's father.

Diddy has no relation to current DKC, he is his sidekick and "wannabe nephew." Dixie is Diddy's girlfriend.

From Wikipedia (which is so reliable):

Donkey Kong is a gorilla who is the main protagonist. Donkey Kong first appearing in Donkey Kong Country as the grandson of the original Donkey Kong (Cranky Kong). Unlike his ornery grandfather, he appears to be on good terms with Mario and his friends, as in many spin-offs, he hangs out with them and helps them.

Source

Diddy Kong (ディディーコング Didī Kongu?) is a fictional character in the Donkey Kong series of video games, first appearing in the 1994 game Donkey Kong Country. He lives on Donkey Kong Island in the Kongo Jungle, and is identified by his red hat, which has a Nintendo logo on it, and shirt. He is described as the "wannabe nephew" of Donkey Kong in the Donkey Kong 64 manual and occasionally as a chimpanzee, despite his monkey-like tail.

Source

no, Lucario's Final Smash is the mega evolution, that way regardless of your actual % you have max aura

But that gives us the conundrum I posted above (quoted here)

But you can get the same effect by just taking a lot of damage, right? So what if Lucario's already taken enough damage to be dealing maximum aura damage, and then he gets a Smash Ball, you're saying his Final Smash in that case would just be... to continue doing maximum damage?

Sounds wrong to me.

DaBoss

Let's talk about Pikmin & Olimar.

3 Pikmin is a welcome change and it allows for easier management. And making the Pikmin come in a certain order is a cherry on top. They haven't shown if you can get more of the same type Pikmin right? I wonder if you can. None of the POTDs have that.

The Flying Pikmin replacing Olimar's old recovery is a very good idea, but with the fact that if you have Pikmin with you and it makes you heavier means you are going to probably throw all Pikmin you have on yourself before you use the Up Special. That would mean once you get back on the platform, you're kinda helpless, so I wonder if they improved Olimar's Pikmin-less game.

And it seems like there are no tether recoveries as the main recovery method. I wonder if it is removed all together.

And Olimar got some new jabs:
ibb0HcISD4lCJx.gif

Unrelated, but hilarious:
iCTAg37tdrbcc.gif

I wonder if the footage for the direct is what was used for the POTDs. Some of it matches with the POTDs.

Sounds wrong to me.
But then you have to take a lot of damage. The advantage to the final smash is that you get a maximum aura boost without getting to ridiculous percentages. There's presumably other advantages as well, but there doesn't have to be.

If the mega form activates when Lucario takes a lot of damage, it's purely a visual upgrade, which is kinda pointless, and is obviously activated differently from Charizard.

If the mega form activates in some other way, there's no reason not to just do that from the start, making the aura pointless.

Final Smash is the only way that works without making the aura mechanic completely pointless, has the same form of activation for both Lucario and Charizard, and matches up with the reveal at the end of the trailer with Greninja's final smash. It also matches up with X and Y where you need to use an item.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Red appearing in the final smash

Isaac may still appear, and when he does, he'll be a playable character

Eh, I'm not sure but it's my gut telling me that it will happens. They have no problem to do 4 other megaman models for final smash; and three Nook for Villager's final smash.

Top Bottom