• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Neiteio

Giving the WiiU version legs over the 3DS will depend on a number of unanswered questions, such as "What modes and features will be WiiU exclusive," and "How will connecting the 3DS and WiiU versions benefit the player or enhance the experience." I'm sure the WiiU will have exclusive features, much like how the 3DS version has Smash Run. It's just a matter of what they are, and they probably won't delve into that until E3 at the earliest.

Ryce

2MCWUQF.png

I added Snake back to my roster, and I also included "Duck Hunt" (the dog and ducks). Duck Hunt is probably the most iconic retro game without any known representation, so why not?

I also arranged the series by original developer; the EAD characters are together, the R&D1/SPD characters are together, and so on. There's also a bad guy column with Bowser, Ganondorf, Wolf, Dedede, and Mewtwo.

I don't really think releasing the 3DS version in winter or next year would produce any tangible boost for the Wii U, though. I'm going to assume that the Wii U version just won't be done until then, so it's not like they could push it up in lieu of the 3DS version to try to push more Wii Us. (That's Mario Kart's job anyway.) So of the remaining options, releasing the 3DS version in the summer or delaying it to match or come after the Wii U version, I still think the summer release is best. I don't see the other two really helping the Wii U in any real capacity.

The setup right now is, if you want a version with better graphics, pay an extra $60. It's not just wait six months. It's not just remove all the mystery of who is in the game and ride those reveals to a hyped release. They took a hard sell and made it even harder.

I don't really see the logic in Smash Bros. not moving Wii U units in the event that it was the first, or temporarily only, version. It seems like you're just saying "No it won't" in response to my "It probably would," which I don't think will have much of a resolution.

zroid

Banned
Fun fact: 28% of the posts in this thread were made in the last 24 hours (since the Direct started). The thread was created 16 days ago.

jph139

Hey, I wanted to bring up the trophies the direct showed. If each trophy was a hint to a character as other people have mentioned then wouldn't the Legend of Zelda trophy hint at Girahim? I say this because he showed Fi, whose a sword spirit just like Girahim and they are basically opposites to each other (similar to the pseudo Palutena). What do you think? (Sorry if this point has already been brought up)

That's what I'm considering - Ghirahim (or maybe Demise) certainly is making more sense to me after Rosalina and Greninja's inclusion. It shows Sakurai is willing to add more recent and less major characters on the basis that they offer interesting gameplay - and I think Ghirahim would offer that pretty well. The "trophy theory" adds fuel to that possibility... lots of potential Zelda newcomers but no clear choice.

The same group of friends who will just play the one version would likely never have gotten the Wii U version to begin with, so the point is kind of moot.

As for the second, Smash Brothers is typically well known more for its local play rather than online play, so while the 3DS version will be an... "inferior" (I guess?) version, it should be good enough to create enough hype for the upcoming game as well. 3DS play will likely be very stripped, and the nature of the handheld necessarily removes Smash's biggest strength. I don't doubt it will be good, but it seems to me like it will help the hardcore crowd hold off a bit longer rather than replace the Wii U version.

First point is true, but as for the second, it takes a lot away from the Wii U release for the non-hardcore crowd. I mean, granted, it did that when two versions were to be released in the first place, but this exacerbates that problem.

I think it's gonna end up important in Japan, where the difference in userbase indicates more of an overall preference for portable gaming over console gaming. In America, not so much. I don't really imagine a ton of SSB series fans deciding "yep gonna make a 3DS game my next Smash." You can't put it up on the TV, you can't invite your friends over to play unless they all own it, it's just really not very conducive to the kind of playstyle that the series has traditionally engendered - one of group play sessions.

Do you think that as many people will go for the Wii U version as they would have if it came out with the 3DS version? Because I'm inclined to completely disagree, there.

Neiteio

Well, rather than questioning the wisdom of Nintendo's timing here (I have to admit I share Shocking's concern), I'm curious what you guys think Nintendo can do to make the WiiU version appealing six months after we know all of the characters, etc. I mean, what's done is done -- the 3DS version this summer, WiiU this winter. So what can Nintendo do to make the WiiU version a compelling value proposition?

The setup right now is, if you want a version with better graphics, pay an extra $60. It's not just wait six months. It's not just remove all the mystery of who is in the game and ride those reveals to a hyped release. They took a hard sell and made it even harder.

I don't really see the logic in Smash Bros. not moving Wii U units in the event that it was the first, or temporarily only, version. It seems like you're just saying "No it won't" in response to my "It probably would," which I don't think will have much of a resolution.

I agree with him, I don't think releasing the 3DS first will result in fewer Wii U sales...

Delaying the 3DS version artificially just to make sure the Wii U version comes out first just seems bad for everyone.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

I'm not really suggesting that putting the Wii U first wouldn't move units. I'm just thinking about the 3DS version at the same time. I think if we're talking about which version would have its potential sales damaged more by coming out after the other one, it's clearly the 3DS one.

I don't really think the 3DS one being first will hurt the Wii U one's sales all that much for a couple reasons. One being that I expect a compelling yet currently indeterminate 3DS->Wii U transfer system that strongly encourages upgrades. Two being that I expect a lot of new modes/content beyond just "different stages." They know that these versions are going to compete, that there has to be a reason for someone to buy one after the other one, I think they're developing them with that in mind. Those are largely speculative reasons on my part, but based in plenty of things that have been said over the months. And three being that I really just don't see much of the core SSB fanbase buying a 3DS game and being satisfied. You'll have one-offs sure but it's really just the intro game, any way you look at it.

Kinsei

Banned
Well, rather than questioning the wisdom of Nintendo's timing here (I have to admit I share Shocking's concern), I'm curious what you guys think Nintendo can do to make the WiiU version appealing six months after we know all of the characters, etc. I mean, what's done is done -- the 3DS version this summer, WiiU this winter. So what can Nintendo do to make the WiiU version a compelling value proposition?

Exclusive game modes. 3DS has Smash Run, so Wii U needs something as well.

Neiteio

The downside to Duck Hunt Dog is in this day and age of increased graphical fidelity, the ducks are a bit too identifiable to feel good about, well, killing them. I mean it's cute and innocuous enough when they're abstract pixel clusters flying across the screen. Now it'd just be off-putting. (Granted, I am a huge animal lover.)

I do like the idea of the duck being "zapped" by the Zapper, which the dog could incorporate as a weapon shooting pixels instead of bullets. Thus the duck is not killed -- more like KO'd -- and of course the duck could incorporate the (living, consenting) duck as a recovery move, a physical attack (swing the duck!), and so on.

But yeah, the "hunting ducks" part is the hurdle that's probably too high to clear for this character.

Release the Wii U version.

Haha, seriously, I'm already sold on both and I personally don't see either game negating the other.

I think the 3DS version is coming out when it does out of short-term concerns. Iwata needs to save the 3DS in Japan (where the Wii U couldn't buoy, anyway, and has no competition from any other home console) and needs to get profitability numbers up before the end of the third quarter. That's when investors are going to be pissed about losses and he's going to need something to point to that's successful.

It's absolutely a move that prioritizes the 3DS over the Wii U because the Wii U producing decent numbers in the winter would be too late.

My baby girl - Mara Jade was born yesterday!

So many pages for me to catch up on! (LOL)

I am excited but also heart broken about those release dates. I don't own a 3DS but thinking about picking one up for smash on the summer (would a 2DS be a bad option?) but man that SUCKS that the Wii U won't be out Til winter!

All of the characters revealed look amazing! Greninja looks beast and Sheik as a stand alone makes me super happy! Hope she got re-buffed to melee or similar levels! I like ZSS revamp, she looks pretty awesome as well.

Man all those new screenshots and new items! Bees - hilarious! Tanooki Leaf - so sweet! Blue Shell - now that's just mean!

Anyway, just wants to pop my head in an comment on all the big news from yesterday! Probably won't see me around for a bit (gotta get used to this being a dad thing :) )

Yeah, honestly, who among us is not planning on buying both? I'm gonna 3DS and Wii U versions on day one.

I know I am. I just got my Wii U last week to start getting used to the pro controller & game pad. Even though I'm using a gamecube controller adapter for smash bros. U. I will have mario kart 8 to help dampen the wait for 3ds smash which will dampen the wait for smash bros U.

Hey, I wanted to bring up the trophies the direct showed. If each trophy was a hint to a character as other people have mentioned then wouldn't the Legend of Zelda trophy hint at Girahim? I say this because he showed Fi, whose a sword spirit just like Girahim and they are basically opposites to each other (similar to the pseudo Palutena). What do you think? (Sorry if this point has already been brought up)

REALLY like this theory honestly. I was thinking demise or him but since fi was shown as well as fake palutena... but then what would the opposite of the fire emblem girl or that metroid monster be?

Darryl

Banned

You know how the 3DS game takes inspiration from that Kirbys Air Ride mode? I want the Wii U version to take inspiration from Light vs. Dark in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Huge maps. 4 vs 4 play.

I am excited but also heart broken about those release dates. I don't own a 3DS but thinking about picking one up for smash on the summer (would a 2DS be a bad option?) but man that SUCKS that the Wii U won't be out Til winter!

All of the characters revealed look amazing! Greninja looks beast and Sheik as a stand alone makes me super happy! Hope she got re-buffed to melee or similar levels! I like ZSS revamp, she looks pretty awesome as well.

Man all those new screenshots and new items! Bees - hilarious! Tanooki Leaf - so sweet! Blue Shell - now that's just mean!

Anyway, just wants to pop my head in an comment on all the big news from yesterday! Probably won't see me around for a bit (gotta get used to this being a dad thing :) )

Congrats man

What is your record?

3-0

Zeer0id
WiiRevolution1
Batty

I'm not really suggesting that putting the Wii U first wouldn't move units. I'm just thinking about the 3DS version at the same time. I think if we're talking about which version would have its potential sales damaged more by coming out after the other one, it's clearly the 3DS one.

I don't really think the 3DS one being first will hurt the Wii U one's sales all that much for a couple reasons. One being that I expect a compelling yet currently indeterminate 3DS->Wii U transfer system that strongly encourages upgrades. Two being that I expect a lot of new modes/content beyond just "different stages." They know that these versions are going to compete, that there has to be a reason for someone to buy one after the other one, I think they're developing them with that in mind. Those are largely speculative reasons on my part, but based in plenty of things that have been said over the months. And three being that I really just don't see much of the core SSB fanbase buying a 3DS game and being satisfied. You'll have one-offs sure but it's really just the intro game, any way you look at it.
You're making a lot of suppositonal arguments for why the Wii U one might be better, but at the end of the day, Nintendo is asking people to pay more for an experience that's more or less equal to what they've had for six months. It's not like the two are equally priced or Nintendo has some sort of cross-buy thing going here. People will spent $40 on Smash Bros. and then Nintendo is going to act totally baffled why they're not paying another $60.

Will there be people who do it? Sure. Will there be 12 million people who do it? Certainly not. So we might be looking at the worst-selling Smash game since 64 that's also cross-platform. That's surely something to brag about.

You named your daughter Mara Jade? You have a very understanding wife. Just kidding, congratulations! Is this your first? "Changes everything" is the biggest understatement in history... Just fyi.

Yeah new Avatar.
Gonna miss the Monado. :<

What was I thinking?

Hey, this bet thing was fun. Anybody wanna do another one? I bet Shulk will be playable.
I hope for my sake that you're right.

No, not your sake. Betting your avatar is none of my business. I just want a Xenoblade rep.

One of the directions should say "Reyn" :V

Little Mac seems like "Anti-Sonic". There was a clip where he even punched Sonic out of his Rolling attacks.

post-23470-Jeremiah-Johnson-nod-cropped-g-jtcK.gif
Why would Sonic need an anti- character when he's already only mid-tier at best?

Fun fact: 28% of the posts in this thread were made in the last 24 hours (since the Direct started). The thread was created 16 days ago.
And I just skimmed through all of them. Took me several hours. Wasn't really worth it.

weaKwillO

Congratulations!

Wow, really? Delaying a game with enormous sales potential by 6 to 12 months would help Nintendo?

I honestly don't even know how to respond to that! Haha.

Um, yes? The 3DS version is going to sell a shit ton regardless of when it releases. They should do everything in their ability to make sure the Wii U version sells as much as possible. As is, the 3DS version will cannibalize Wii U version sales.

Jagsrock

Banned
The Wii U version is compelling in presentation/graphics, Controls, more unified local multiplayer. (Possibly better online?), Different(arguably better) Stages,More music, No smash run but id be shocked if it didn't have a melee style adventure and classic mode along with events/bosses.

Honestly I think people getting their hands on the 3ds version will only increase interest in the Wii U version which should essential end up being the definitive version of the game.

Plus we still don't know about the WiiU/3ds connectivity.

Um, yes? The 3DS version is going to sell a shit ton regardless of when it releases. They should do everything in their ability to make sure the Wii U version sells as much as possible. As is, the 3DS version will cannibalize Wii U version sales.

Obviously with the posts that have come in the last few minutes, you're not the only one who thinks so. I still don't get it :\ I'd really like to see a poll : "Are you going to skip the Wii U version of Smash Bros and only get the 3DS one instead?"

I'm getting both. I bet I'm not alone.

Delaying the 3DS copy when it's ready right now is just bad business. They're different games. I don't think the 3DS version will cannibalize Wii U sales as bad as the Wii U version would cannibalize 3DS sales if they released in reverse order.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

congrats!

Riki

Can we talk about how good the Substitute looks?
screen-5.jpg

The texture on it is so good. Makes me want to touch it all over.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Congratulation! Good luck with first month since it's hardest month but after that it should be snap.

Your life when your kids growing up =
cKyidQg.jpg

BUT just have a lot of patience with kids then you should be fine! :)

I really hope that you get what I meant with lobster.

Congrats man

3-0

Zeer0id
WiiRevolution1
Batty

Look like you are my rival now. :p

Obviously with the posts that have come in the last few minutes, you're not the only one who thinks so. I still don't get it :\ I'd really like to see a poll : "Are you going to skip the Wii U version of Smash Bros and only get the 3DS one instead?"

I'm getting both. I bet I'm not alone.

Delaying the 3DS copy when it's ready right now is just bad business. They're different games. I don't think the 3DS version will cannibalize Wii U sales as bad as the Wii U version would cannibalize 3DS sales if they released in reverse order.

GAFers are not representatives of even regular gaming audiences. Most of the board thinks the 3DS is a terrible POS and the Vita is the best thing since sliced bread, but the market doesn't bear that out.

Everyone in this thread buying both versions would be about 0.008333333333333333% of Brawl or Melee's 12 million individual sales.

GamerSoul

Congrats man!!

Top Bottom